Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

shoes34 wrote: »
    I finished my pill pack and decided that I didn't want to get my period then so I started another pack immediately (i've never done this before) the first few days were fine then at the weekend I got some bleeding, I have continued to take the pill and just experiencing slight bleeding. I have a smear test on Wednesday should I cancel the appointment for the test?

I honestly don't know about whether you should cancel the smear but, it's normal to get slight breakthrough bleeding if you continue on with your pill

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

I honestly don't know about whether you should cancel the smear but, it's normal to get slight breakthrough bleeding if you continue on with your pill

It has only been slight and I haven't had any spotting today. Don't really want to cancel as had to cancel it already. Going to go along and hope for the best.

Do, It's very important that you get this done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ii guys

Has anyone ever had any problems with the Mirena IUD. I've had mine in since 2007 and never had any problems at all until recently. During sex I started to get pain and now I have a dull achey pain and feel like something has gone wrong. I'm extremely nervous of vaginal checks and terrified of getting hurt! I've made an appointment in the Family Planning Clinic where I got it inserted. Does anyone have any idea what I could expect. Am here freaking out about it at this stage.

Would appreciate any advice or if anyone has ever come across this kind of thing before.

Hey shoes how did you get on today? All good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Hi squeakyduck,

Got on fine, all was great and over in a few minutes - great not to have had to cancel it.

Hi,

Had unprotected sex with my boyfriend this month. I got my period the other day, or so I thought. Bled heavily for about 40 minutes and then it stopped and hasn't came back. I was wondering is this normal or could I be pregnant? Thinking of taking a pregnancy test but don't know if there's any point as I bled.

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

unreg2010 the best course for you if this is a concern or anything out of the ordinary is to visit your GP. Now with times they way they are maybe that would put you out of pocket, so the pregnancy test kit should be your first port of call, to put your mind at ease either way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Hi ladies.

I am on cerazette at the moment(The mini pill i think its called). I forgot to take Wdnesday but took 2 on thursday at 6(my normal time). It says on the packet to use protection for 7 days Now i am going away the weekend for a well deserved break with the hubby and tbh i dont like condoms so I am going to take my chances. TBH if i got pregnant i dont think we would be too bothered. Having said that i am not planning to..

Just wondered. Has anyone missed one like this and still carried on having sex etc. Is there a percentage of failure rates etc for missing one. You know 24 hours late is 60% reliable

Why am i unregistered for this. Well to be honest although i am being frank I am quite shy and embarressed.

Thanks for your opinions in advance

Hi ladies.

I am on cerazette at the moment(The mini pill i think its called). I forgot to take Wdnesday but took 2 on thursday at 6(my normal time). It says on the packet to use protection for 7 days Now i am going away the weekend for a well deserved break with the hubby and tbh i dont like condoms so I am going to take my chances. TBH if i got pregnant i dont think we would be too bothered. Having said that i am not planning to..

Just wondered. Has anyone missed one like this and still carried on having sex etc. Is there a percentage of failure rates etc for missing one. You know 24 hours late is 60% reliable

Why am i unregistered for this. Well to be honest although i am being frank I am quite shy and embarressed.

Thanks for your opinions in advance

Nobody on this one ladies...? Thank you for reading anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Shylady, I've always been too terrified of having kids to risk sex without a condom, whether or not I've missed my pill! My own opinion is that since the pill isn't 100% safe by itself even when taken regularly, if I were in your situation I'd definitely use condoms.

I know you say you don't like them; have you tried different types? Durex have a heat one that I don't like, but there are other versions by the same brand that are great! It could be worth experimenting with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Laoire

Hi, I just turned 20 and I got a letter about a smear test. I'm a virgin - do I need one?

Found the following information on CervicalCheck website:

CervicalCheck invites all women between the ages of 25 and 60 for cervical screening. But if you have never been sexually active with a man or woman, then the research evidence shows that your chance of developing cervical cancer is low. We do not say there is no risk, only a very low risk. In these circumstances, you might choose to decline the invitation for cervical screening on this occasion. If you are not currently sexually active but have had partners in the past, then we would recommend that you continue screening.

Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Audie

Hey, anyone tried rhythm/calendar method of contraception? I've had a hell of a couple of years with the pill/implant/nuva ring and have had enough! Is the rhythm method a silly idea??

No method of contraception is silly as long as YOU know how to stick to it and make it work!! :) With the pill you take it at certain times for 21 days, use condoms otherwise.
    A girl I used to work with used the rhythm method herself with her boyfriend and she was lucky, she has since married and we have lost touch.

As long as you know your own body enough to work out what days you are most fertile go for it! :) I myself only know when I'm due to come on as my body is like clockwork due to taking the pill! If I was off it I would be taking mega huge precautions because I'd be sick with myself if I got pregnant, I'm barely able to look after myself!

I was with a guy over the weekend and we got caught up in the heat of the moment and had sex for about a minute without a condom. We stopped and put one on then, but I'm wondering should I go for an STI test? I'm probably due one anyway just to be safe, but I'm wondering if I have cause for concern because of the slip up this weekend?

Hmm, yeah I think it would take a lot of time to learn about fertile times etc. Have looked into it ever so briefly, and the failure rates (5-25%) are putting me off! Getting pregnant wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for me, but far from ideal at the moment! I'm thinking condoms, but the other half obviously isn't keen on the idea!

Is there anything else non-hormonal that works?

sillygirl! wrote: »
    I was with a guy over the weekend and we got caught up in the heat of the moment and had sex for about a minute without a condom. We stopped and put one on then, but I'm wondering should I go for an STI test? I'm probably due one anyway just to be safe, but I'm wondering if I have cause for concern because of the slip up this weekend?

DEAR GOD YES! You don't even have to have sex to catch an STI. Definately get yourself to the nearest STI clinic asap for your own piece of mind.

I took the morning after pill on Monday, I get bouts of nauesa since, is that normal?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Can I ask those of you who use the Mirena Coil - how difficult is it to check that the strings are still correctly in place? Is it something that needs to be done very often?

It sounds like a fantastic form of contraception but the idea of having to check these strings is putting me off a little.

UnregQ wrote: »
    I took the morning after pill on Monday, I get bouts of nauesa since, is that normal?? Thanks

I took it once before and felt horribly sick all day, I think it is normal. But its enough to stop a person from using it again! Hope you feel better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LilyP

Hi,
    I am 35 and have tried so many different contraceptive options. About 4 pills, 2 minipills, the nuva ring and copper coil ( for over a year). All were used for atleast 6 months and with every single one except the copper coil i get the worst case of breasts that practically double in size and are so tender that I find it uncomfortable to cycle or get out of bed without it being painful ( so you can imagine it stalls the sex life) and I get terrible acne on my back and chest.

Unfortunately with the copper coil I was becoming anaemic and was bleeding practically throughout the month.

I am an upbeat happy person but this is the one area that gets me so down. I feel horrible and cant fit any of my tops because of my breasts getting swollen with everythign I take.

I am in a very loving relationship of 5 years and he would happily take a male pill if it existed. We both have wonderful nieces but we don't wish to have a family of our own. We have talked about a vasectomy for him but as we are just about to move into our first home we want to put this off for a couple of years just incase the new little homemakers in us start to get broody. Neither of us think this will happen but best leave it a couple of years to be 100%.

So after all that longwinded rambling. I went to the doctor again ( well woman centre always) and I think a diaphragm is my only option. We have always used a condom combined with whatever i have been on but what I want to know is do you think a diaphragm and condom combined is a good option?

Many thanks for any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

We were taught in sex ed (Canada) that use of a diaphram + condom at the same time could lead to the two sticking to each other and thus neither of them being effective.

I think, however, (ie, this is my opinion and it is not a qualified one) that combined use of diaphram, condom, and knowledge of one's own cycle (ie, the rythm method) is a good alternative to hormonal contraceptive. I'm NOT saying use a diaphram and a condom at the same time. I'm saying, get a diaphram, use it when that is most appropriate (ie, when you know you're going to have sex later) and use condoms when they are most appropriate (ie, when you see him doing the dishes and simply can't control yourself) and bear in mind your own natural cycle (ie, maybe do less of either of those when you're quite sure you're ovulating)

Obviously discussion with a doctor or someone from the well woman centre is better than any advice you'd get off the 'net.

i bought the canesten cream and pessary.
    i only put the cream on and feel a bit better already.
    there are 6 pessarys in the packet, is it neccessary to use ALL of them if you feel better and symptoms are gone?
    any help would be greatly appreciated!
    x

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Yes, I believe you should to finish the course. That's what I've done in the past anyway. Better off getting it all over in one go rather than it coming back in two weeks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You should finish the course alright if it's the antifungal route you're going.

I had a hard time with thrush when I was pregnant and couldn't use them so my doctor advised live yogurt. I was quite skeptical but I had to do something. I'll never use antifungals again, it worked way quicker and better. You only need to use the amount the size of your fingernail twice daily for 3 days, no messing. Cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

and if you have an OH, it might be worth his while to use the cream too. from past experience i would clear everything up, but he had gotten the thrush from me and then gave it back to me!!

and if you have an OH, it might be worth his while to use the cream too. from past experience i would clear everything up, but he had gotten the thrush from me and then gave it back to me!!

ah, fun times. :rolleyes:

Hi all,

I am kind of wondering about people's experiences of the two products above.

I am a 21 year old female and I have been given the option of getting either the mirena or the implanon inserted. I am unable to take the pill due to a high risk of a clot occuring and the same is to be said about the patch and nuvaring.

I have previously use the nuvaring for the last 18 months but became very dissatisified with it when my periods diappeared and as a result I stopped using it!

I was also told by my doctor that I wasn't suited to it because of my risk factors and he suggested I change method as soon as possible.

So now I am in a bit of a dilemma...I have no intention of having children for another 5/6 years, have suffered with my mood in the past, as well as nausea...

Personal experiences only ladies, no medical advice.

I had Mirena in place for 3 years, I didn't have my period while I was on it. However, this didn't bother me in the slightest, not a big fan of my period :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am on my second Mirena, so far 8 years free of periods as well as the highest protection rate agains contraception bar getting my tubes tied. I am extremely happy with it.

Advertisement