Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Think this is my first post here!

Anyone got any experience with the veet home waxing roller? bought it yesterday, I'm terrified. Last time I used wax down there I glued myself to the bath!

I literally laughed out loud! Last time I tried using a home waxing kit I got really bad ingrown hairs. My advice, don't go there, leave it to the pros!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

BeepityBop wrote: »
    I just started reading a book by Toni Weschler about Natural Family planning that got great reviews on different websites.

Has anyone read it or had any experience with natural family planning?

I'm looking into it because I can't seem to find a non natural contraception that agrees with me.. :/

I practiced natural fertility and even went to a class...I'm now pregnant with my fourth unplanned child! My advice would be don't do it unless your ok with unplanned pregnancy.

I do have a few friends who practice it with success but when they do ttc it has taken them a good few cycles of trying. My oh and I are obviously quite fertile so it didn't work for us.

Think this is my first post here!

Anyone got any experience with the veet home waxing roller? bought it yesterday, I'm terrified. Last time I used wax down there I glued myself to the bath!

Lol! I stuck my calves to my own ar$e attempting a DIY leg wax...never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I practiced natural fertility and even went to a class...I'm now pregnant with my fourth unplanned child! My advice would be don't do it unless your ok with unplanned pregnancy.

I'm genuinely curious here, not having a go - would you not have changed to a different method after the first, second at a push unplanned pregnancy???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Morag wrote: »
    If you are going to try natural family planningthen I would suggest having a look at http://www.persona.info/uk/what_is.php to help you do that.

:O Way too risky in my opinion, if you want to do natural family planning, don't have sex at all!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Hi all,

I had my third Implanon removed over two weeks ago as it wasn't agreeing with me anymore but my arm has been in absolute agony. The incision has healed well and the bruising is almost completely gone, but there is an agonizing pain in the muscle around the area and extending below my elbow.

Reaching up to get a bowl or even rolling up my sleeves is torture. Could the doc have nicked the muscle when removing the Implanon? I asked him at the time had the Implanon attached to the muscle an he said no. I'm really worried that my arm is permanently like this as the pain has been there for more than a wee now. I thought it might have been a strain but it's getting worse.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious here, not having a go - would you not have changed to a different method after the first, second at a push unplanned pregnancy???

I got pregnant on my first cycle after the first baby (he was 10months and I was still breastfeeding). After the second baby I had an iud fitted but had really bad side effects- crazy heavy bleeding, mid cycle bleeding, migraines, semipsychotic pmt, mild depression. I have had bad effects from other hormonal methods of contraception in the past (tried lots of pills and depo) so we thought we'd give the natural method another go. Lasted three months before getting pregnant again (alcohol related slip :o). After the third baby I got a diaphragm which was incredibly uncomfortable. Used that for a while then decided to use the über cautious version of natural fertility- using condoms for the whole week of ovulation. Once started without a condom but put one on before things got too serious (sorry if tmi) got pregnant. Lost the baby at 5 weeks, decided to try for a last baby next year and to use barrier contraception all the time until then. Had unprotected sex once right after I'd stopped bleeding from the miscarriage, figured it would be safe, nope, got pregnant straight away, and here we are now. Hes looking at the snip after this baby is born. So that's my fertility journey so far. My OH would be morto but I don't think he knows anyone on boards.

The thing is we always wanted a big family and we can afford the children we have. We also weren't keen on having babies past our mid 30's. We both have a fairly laid back, path of least resistance attitude to life and for me it feels nice to think that our babies are choosing us rather than the other way round. I realise that this is not normal, but it seems to be working out as well as any plan I could conceive for my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I had my third Implanon removed over two weeks ago as it wasn't agreeing with me anymore but my arm has been in absolute agony. The incision has healed well and the bruising is almost completely gone, but there is an agonizing pain in the muscle around the area and extending below my elbow.

Reaching up to get a bowl or even rolling up my sleeves is torture. Could the doc have nicked the muscle when removing the Implanon? I asked him at the time had the Implanon attached to the muscle an he said no. I'm really worried that my arm is permanently like this as the pain has been there for more than a wee now. I thought it might have been a strain but it's getting worse.

The best thing you can do is contact your doctor, especially if the pain is getting worse as you say. He/she can have a look at it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Definitely, definitely go back to your doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I got pregnant on my first cycle after the first baby (he was 10months and I was still breastfeeding). After the second baby I had an iud fitted but had really bad side effects- crazy heavy bleeding, mid cycle bleeding, migraines, semipsychotic pmt, mild depression. I have had bad effects from other hormonal methods of contraception in the past (tried lots of pills and depo) so we thought we'd give the natural method another go. Lasted three months before getting pregnant again (alcohol related slip :o). After the third baby I got a diaphragm which was incredibly uncomfortable. Used that for a while then decided to use the über cautious version of natural fertility- using condoms for the whole week of ovulation. Once started without a condom but put one on before things got too serious (sorry if tmi) got pregnant. Lost the baby at 5 weeks, decided to try for a last baby next year and to use barrier contraception all the time until then. Had unprotected sex once right after I'd stopped bleeding from the miscarriage, figured it would be safe, nope, got pregnant straight away, and here we are now. Hes looking at the snip after this baby is born. So that's my fertility journey so far. My OH would be morto but I don't think he knows anyone on boards.

The thing is we always wanted a big family and we can afford the children we have. We also weren't keen on having babies past our mid 30's. We both have a fairly laid back, path of least resistance attitude to life and for me it feels nice to think that our babies are choosing us rather than the other way round. I realise that this is not normal, but it seems to be working out as well as any plan I could conceive for my life.

Rosy Posy - please don't take this the wrong way, but you've just told a fascinating story in a most compelling way. One of the best posts I've ever read on boards.

Hope you and your family have all the luck in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This is a very specific question, but has anyone used Depo Provera or the implant successfully after not getting on well with a POP like Cerazette? Basically, if Cerazette really didn't suit me, is that likely that the injection won't suit me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Faith wrote: »
    This is a very specific question, but has anyone used Depo Provera or the implant successfully after not getting on well with a POP like Cerazette? Basically, if Cerazette really didn't suit me, is that likely that the injection won't suit me?

I can't say for certain if the implant or injection wouldn't suit you, but my doctor prescribed me Cerazette as a trial run for the implant. Her reasoning was that they worked in the same way, so if Cerazette suited me, I could take the longer term option of the implant after about six months. Cerazette was a nightmare for me, so the implant is out of the question unfortunately. She never mentioned the injection though, but if it's the same as the implant then I'd imagine it's the same as Cerazette too.

That was my experience anyway, I don't know if that helps or not!

I would think very carefully about trying Depo if you've had problems with hormonal contraception in the past. Once it's you've had it there's no going back. I bled constantly for three months, totally lost my sex drive and was very dry (apart from the blood :eek: ). It's a big risk to take IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

i took the implant, then the injection after a short time on the POP. it took almost 10 months for my period to return, not even sure its back to normal as that was only a week or so ago. i will say im 24, and have been taking hormonal contraceptives since i was 17 (wow thats ages :( ) i also have pcos. so be carefull!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

I would think very carefully about trying Depo if you've had problems with hormonal contraception in the past. Once it's you've had it there's no going back. I bled constantly for three months, totally lost my sex drive and was very dry (apart from the blood :eek: ). It's a big risk to take IMO.

If you've had a bad reaction to cerazette I would think very carefully before trying either the shot or the implant. Although the shot lasts three months and once it's done it's done I would, personally speaking, be more inclined to go with that rather than the implant. If the shot doesn't suit you you can choose not to get it again but you're supposed to give the implant 6 months for everything to 'settle down' which can be an awfully long time if there are complications.

I have been on all three types of contraceptives and unfortunately none have suited me. I've had heavy bleeding, double periods, severe lack of sex drive, dryness etc. However in saying that I would consider myself rather unlucky so there's no guarantee any of the above would happen to you.

Despite the side effects I've suffered from I can't just exclude all hormonal contraceptives and will have to stick with something. My advice is to read up on both the shot and implant and try one. If it doesn't suit you then yes you will have to try something else but it may be that you don't react badly and you have something you can use for the next few years at least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Her reasoning was that they worked in the same way, so if Cerazette suited me, I could take the longer term option of the implant after about six months.

Thanks for all the replies. Ilyana, I remember my doctor saying that to me too, so I'm going to assume that both the injection and the implant are off the table. I love the OCP, but it doesn't seem to love me. I have no problems with it apart from chronic thrush, so if I can't shift the thrush, I'll have to come off the pill, I think. I'll try and convince my doctor to prescribe a longer-term course of Diflucan first, and I might finally accept I have to try a low-sugar diet for a while.

It could be a lot worse, tbh, but I'd rather come off the pill at this stage than change to ANOTHER one for a fairly small reason!

Thanks for all the replies. Ilyana, I remember my doctor saying that to me too, so I'm going to assume that both the injection and the implant are off the table. I love the OCP, but it doesn't seem to love me. I have no problems with it apart from chronic thrush, so if I can't shift the thrush, I'll have to come off the pill, I think. I'll try and convince my doctor to prescribe a longer-term course of Diflucan first, and I might finally accept I have to try a low-sugar diet for a while.

It could be a lot worse, tbh, but I'd rather come off the pill at this stage than change to ANOTHER one for a fairly small reason!

It's a shame to have to come off it for that alone, but thrush is horrible. Sure chat to your doctor about it. There are some handy threads on anti-candida diets in the Nutrition & Diet forum iirc :)

Cerazette turned me into a demon-lady so unfortunately nothing could fix that except coming off it. Pity, I loved having no periods!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    It's a shame to have to come off it for that alone, but thrush is horrible. Sure chat to your doctor about it. There are some handy threads on anti-candida diets in the Nutrition & Diet forum iirc :)

Cerazette turned me into a demon-lady so unfortunately nothing could fix that except coming off it. Pity, I loved having no periods!

No periods?! I don't think I was ever off my period on Cerazette!

No periods?! I don't think I was ever off my period on Cerazette!

That's horrible! My period more or less stopped, except the odd bit of spotting. It was literally the only perk with that pill!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

It just made me cry, non stop, I was in a terrible place on it! Also made me extremely sore all over. Not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 sillymare82

This may not be the right place for this post, but I am just wondering if someone can tell me if this is normal. I had my period on 8th, on 17th I had protected sex with a condom but we were afraid there was a mishap with it so I took the M.A.P early on the 18th August. I was not due my period again until early September however I started to bleed on 24th August and continued until 27th, not as heavy as regular period, now my breasts are tender. Is this something to worry about, I always become tender and swollen the week before my period, but would have thought it wouldnt happen this month as I got it on 24th. Is it likely that my period will come as normal next week or I'm afraid its something more serious..pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Is it likely that my period will come as normal next week or I'm afraid its something more serious..pregnancy.

Why not just take a test and you'll know for sure either way???

The MAP can mess with your cycle, but no-one here can tell you whether you're pregnant or not, or whether your period will come as normal next week if it was just the MAP that caused the bleed.

Only one way to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sillymare82

Yes I will be doing that, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced something similiar, I am aware that no one can tell me when I will get a period / or if I am pregnant.

Yes I will be doing that, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced something similiar, I am aware that no one can tell me when I will get a period / or if I am pregnant.

I had a friend who experienced an irregular bleed after taking MAP. She went back to her GP who said it was most likely the zygote passing. They're pretty strong hormones in the MAP, they can do all sorts to your cycle.
    Best go back to your doctor if you're concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Just wondering, what long term options have I got regarding contraception. I'll probably ask my doctor, but just looking at how much it would cost.

Im going travelling for a year, the pill i've got is €14 a month. I've got a medical card but not sure if it'll cover a year's supply. I've budgeted €160 for 12 months supply just in case.

But im thinking maybe getting something else, maybe the bar yoke in the arm? Does anyone know if the medical card covers it? Or if it doesn't, is there any chance of it costing €160? It means I wont have to think about taking a pill everyday.

What are people's experiences of the bar yoke? I've heard that if you get on ok with a POP pill, you shouldnt have a problem. Im taking cerazette for over a year and so far ok. Has anyone had nasty experience from changing from POP pill to the bar thing.

So many questions, sorry.

Just wondering, what long term options have I got regarding contraception. I'll probably ask my doctor, but just looking at how much it would cost.

Im going travelling for a year, the pill i've got is €14 a month. I've got a medical card but not sure if it'll cover a year's supply. I've budgeted €160 for 12 months supply just in case.

But im thinking maybe getting something else, maybe the bar yoke in the arm? Does anyone know if the medical card covers it? Or if it doesn't, is there any chance of it costing €160? It means I wont have to think about taking a pill everyday.

What are people's experiences of the bar yoke? I've heard that if you get on ok with a POP pill, you shouldnt have a problem. Im taking cerazette for over a year and so far ok. Has anyone had nasty experience from changing from POP pill to the bar thing.

So many questions, sorry.

The implanon would be free with the medical card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Ladies who've had implanon removed, how painful is it? How many days does your arm stay tender for?

Hardluckwoman I've had it about 18 months, it was fantastic at the start but for the past 3 months or so I've had a really irregular cycle and worse, vicious mood swings, so I'm having it out. Shame, as I loved the convenience of not having to take a pill every day and not worrying if I had a dodgy tummy. Not worth the current level of crazy though!

pampootie wrote: »
    Ladies who've had implanon removed, how painful is it? How many days does your arm stay tender for?

Hardluckwoman I've had it about 18 months, it was fantastic at the start but for the past 3 months or so I've had a really irregular cycle and worse, vicious mood swings, so I'm having it out. Shame, as I loved the convenience of not having to take a pill every day and not worrying if I had a dodgy tummy. Not worth the current level of crazy though!

The removal was the easy part. im the year I stuck with it I had no period dramatic mood swings and depression/anxiety. I also gained a lot of weight very quickly and with that the problem that come with it. Id never go near it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

It was a dream for me for the first year, no period, dropped weight, mood normal, skin got a little greasier was the only thing. The hormone levels decrease in the second year slightly and that must be what's triggered all the problems now. I'm nuts for about 2 days before my period, really angry mood, get pissed off with everyone over nothing, then on the first day I'm a crying wreck. And there's no regularity to it so I never know when the moods are going to strike!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Think il stick with the pill so. Dont want to give up a good thing.

Advertisement