Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Looked up bra measuring and did it myself recently. Glad I understand it now, embarrassed to say I never did before. However now my problem is getting a bra. I'm actually a size 30C and most places don't seem to go to 30 only 32. I'm not that small. Had a look in Penny's today and they don't seem to have any.

M&S do a 30C as far as I know, should be able to get some in Debenhams or Arnotts too. From the major brands - Freya (try a 28D as their bands run big), Wacoal, Chantelle, Elle McPherson and Calvin Klein should all do your size. Measured properly, a surprising number of women who are in the 8-12 range in clothes will be a 28-30 band.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Would you not get measured in store? I'd never rely on my own measurement to be honest and in store they can recommend what is suitable if you are a 30.

Most shops use the +4 method, which is very inaccurate now because bras are no longer completely rigid - they have serious stretch. So for the best fit, it's unnecessary to add inches to your band size, but shops haven't copped on to this yet.

Anyone who is unsure about measuring themselves should follow this guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/fit_guide and these detailed instructions: http://i.imgur.com/tgrX4zO.png

It's a revelation when you wear the real right size!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Yeah I went into m&s, they did have some alright just very few nice ones will go back for basics. Also went to arnotts, way too expensive for me. But thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Faith wrote: »
    Most shops use the +4 method, which is very inaccurate now because bras are no longer completely rigid - they have serious stretch. So for the best fit, it's unnecessary to add inches to your band size, but shops haven't copped on to this yet.

Anyone who is unsure about measuring themselves should follow this guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/fit_guide and these detailed instructions: http://i.imgur.com/tgrX4zO.png

OMG Faith, thanks for this!

*runs to buy a measuring tape*

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I measured myself using this method today (twice to double check!) and came up with 30E. I am currently wearing a 34B. :o

I'm very skeptical but I'll be in Debenhams tomorrow and I'll see what I can find and report back!

• Advertisement

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I measured myself using this method today (twice to double check!) and came up with 30E. I am currently wearing a 34B. :o

I'm very skeptical but I'll be in Debenhams tomorrow and I'll see what I can find and report back!

VERY interested to hear how you get on!

Ice Storm wrote: »

I was wearing a 34DD and the guide told me I was a 32G. I went to Debenhams and skeptically picked up a 32E, 32F, 32FF and 32G. I nearly fell over with shock when it turned out that the 32G was actually the best fit!

It does depend a bit on brand, but if you poke around that subreddit, you'll find loads of useful links with information on different brands.

I was wearing a 34DD and the guide told me I was a 32G. I went to Debenhams and skeptically picked up a 32E, 32F, 32FF and 32G. I nearly fell over with shock when it turned out that the 32G was actually the best fit!

It does depend a bit on brand, but if you poke around that subreddit, you'll find loads of useful links with information on different brands.

And was that with the scooping and swooping and what have ya??

I'm SO excited to measure myself and find my correct fit. I have a fab holiday coming up in a few weeks so my plan is to get a couple of correctly fitting bras in time for that, so that I'll look and feel great about my shape.

/optimism...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 x-gerry2win-x

I just went to my pharmacy to pick up my prescription of microlite and they told me that the medical card scheme no longer supplies it and they gave me leonore. They ensured me it was exactly the same . has anyone else made this change? is there any different side effects?

And was that with the scooping and swooping and what have ya??

I'm SO excited to measure myself and find my correct fit. I have a fab holiday coming up in a few weeks so my plan is to get a couple of correctly fitting bras in time for that, so that I'll look and feel great about my shape.

/optimism...

Yeah you have to swoop and scoop :D.

I actually haven't been able to afford to buy many new bras since figuring out my correct size, so 80% of the time I'm still wearing the wrong size, and now I can SEE that it's wrong!

Beware, you'll start becoming obsessed with badly fitting bras very quickly :D. You'll see women everywhere wearing them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Ok, so yesterday I measured myself as being either a 30E or 30DD.

I was in Debenhams this morning and brought a selection of 30 and 32 band bras into the changing rooms. I will admit that I was hoping that the sales assistant wouldn't notice the sizes as I thought I'd be laughed out of it with the E cup bra! (I was professionally measured as a 32B about a year ago although my weight has fluctuated a little since then.)

I immediately realised that the 30 band was far too tight - I was struggling to close it and when I eventually did, it was cutting into my skin and creating unattractive bulges. I'm a bit confused about this because I measured myself as 29.25 inches so rounded up to 30. I'm not bothered about it though as the 32 inch bras felt comfortable and they are more readily available.

So as I moved up a band size I reckoned I would need either a D or DD cup in that size. The 32D was a pretty good fit until I 'scooped and swooped' (lol! :D) and then there was a bit of overspill. The 32DD was better but I did think it was a little bit too roomy.

I guess that means that I'm between the two cup sizes and would need to try on a variety of bras to get the right one for me. So apart from the band size (possibly my mistake :confused:) this method was pretty much spot on. Very surprised to have gone from a B cup to DD! I'd be interested to hear how anyone else gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

30 bands in Debenhams own-brand bras are unusually tight - I have a 30" underbust and tend to get a better fit in a 32 band in that range, but would wear a 30 band in Panache, Freya and Curvy Kate. I went from a 34DD/E to a 30-32 FF-G when I first used that method, then went up again to a 30H /32GG when I went on the pill.

The upside to a 32DD best fit is how common it is! Plenty of 70% off deals in the Debenhams sale and you can buy from both standard and full bust ranges.

Yeah, I panic bought t-shirt bras in Debenhams because they were cheap and the 32 band is quite tight. But other brands were perfect in the dressing room.

If you're comfortable to, you can request fit checks on reddit.com/r/abrathatfits. You can post pictures of yourself and get feedback from those with a good eye about whether a bra fits or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'm a 34D according to my current Debenhams measurement. I'm nearly afraid to see what I am using this new method, seeing as everyone seems to be leaping up in cup sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I would be interested in trying the method as well, though I know myself im better than I used to be for the measurements and am pretty certain I'm 34e. We'll see what it tells me when I try it...

edit: 34 F. lol
    I'm pretty sure I'm not an F, E has no overspill issues or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

My cat came in for a cuddle, he's using my boob as a pillow. So damn cute.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I would be interested in trying the method as well, though I know myself im better than I used to be for the measurements and am pretty certain I'm 34e. We'll see what it tells me when I try it...

edit: 34 F. lol
    I'm pretty sure I'm not an F, E has no overspill issues or anything

Did you swoop and scoop?

You may well be wearing the right size because there's not that much of a difference between the F and E cup. You might find the F more comfortable in certain bands.

My OH insists that he can't see a difference between how my boobs look in a 34DD and a 32G, but now that I've educated myself better, I can see that there's - well, not overspill, but the top half of my boobs is too full in a 34DD cup. You could put it down to 'lift' but it's actually bad sizing. A lot of 'armpit fat' is actually breast tissue too, that's being pushed out by a badly fitting bra. I have armpit fat in a 34DD but not in a 32G.

The pros of following the newer measuring method are:
    A more comfortable fit
    A better silhouette
    No/less armpit fat
    You often look like you've lost weight

The cons, however:
    Having to buy loads of new bras
    Limited amounts and styles of bigger sizes
    Bigger sized bras are expensive!
    You get obsessed with fit.

There's an interesting blog post here demonstrating how Victoria's Secret bras don't even fit the models (NSFW): http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2010/12/victorias-secret-bras-dont-even-fit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

According to the instructions I should be a 32G - wearing a 38DD (nursing bra). Last time I was profesioanlly measured I was told I was 34DD. Now the 38 is too big but I have lost baby weight so I think I will wait until I finish breastfeeding before I go get measured again and buy some nice bras that don't allow the cup to open!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

really need to find my measuring tape...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I haven't done the measurement yet but I wonder is there a certain element of vanity sizing involved in it? In the same way that a lot of high street stores are making their sizes bigger so that their customers go "Oh wow, I'm only a size 10!", is this method telling women they have way bigger knockers than they actually do?

As I said, I'm currently a Debenham's-measured 34D. At one stage a few years back, I was a 34E. I know for a fact that there's no way in hell my boobs would fill the cups of those bras now, so I'll be extremely cynical if this method tells me I'm G cup or something, even allowing for a smaller band-size.

Also, is that an American fitting system? Cause American bra sizes are quite different to ours to begin with.

I've always done the swoop & scoop thing too, so it's not like not doing that is affecting my current bra size. Will root out the tape measure later and have a laugh at what size this method tells me I am.

There's an interesting blog post here demonstrating how Victoria's Secret bras don't even fit the models (NSFW): http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2010/12/victorias-secret-bras-dont-even-fit.html

I read an interview with Heidi Klum before where she mentioned that in most of those shows & shoots she'd have two and sometimes three chicken fillets in each cup :eek:

• Advertisement

I don't think it's vanity sizing. Historically, bras were made with very stiff material - there was no elastane or anything back then. So they were really rigid and tight, so you'd add inches for comfort. Now bras are much looser and stretchier, so there's no need to still add inches.

My OH could wear my new bras as a hat, and laughed in my face when he first saw them. But they fit! It's more that the wires are wider than the volume is that much greater. When you wear the wrong size, breast tissue is pushed out all over the place but with the right size, it's all in the cup. It might seem crazy but often ones breasts are just bigger than they ever thought when all the tissue is actually put in the right place.

I'm really interested to hear how you get on when you do measure yourself :).

I think it's more likely Honey that a lot of women are just wearing the wrong size and think if it doesn't fit right they need to go up band than cup
    I think also - it was a surprise to me a couple years ago - there's a lot of "omg an E cup must be massive" but cups depend on band size as well so a 32e is a totally different story to a 36e but women assume they just can't be an e...

Yeah... I'm 34F. Jays
    got a new bra today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was going to measure myself. Read Faith's link. Seems like a lot of effort...

Lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Keep meaning to measure myself based on that link, effort! Will do it soon.

Just a little mention to anyone dreading a smear test, I had a follow up one yesterday after an abnormal result 6 months ago, my appointment was for 11am, was walking back out the door with the test done by 11.10am, and a good few minutes of that was chatting with the nurse. The test itself took about 30 seconds I'd say, the nurse was actually overly nice and attentive, kept asking was I ok, telling me what she was doing, when really I don't find it too bad at all. I genuinely hate the dentist more.

Anyway, don't avoid smear tests, they're grand! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Dug a measuring tape out of the drawer and according to the measuring chart I should be wearing a 30G, currently wearing 34DD. Didn't think I'd be that far out :o
    Gonna pop into Debenhams during the week and try a few on.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Hi everyone,
    Apologies if this is in wrong place. I started a new pill, cilest, and just coming towards end of first pack. Three more pills left but started spotting yesterday and have light period today. I think this is normal enough when on new pill but the thing worrying me is I have sort of what I can only describe as restless leg syndrome, kept me up last night and its annoying me again this evening, moving my ankles constantly. I'm not sure if this is just all in my head and subconsciuosly wary of scares in media re: clots. I was on dianette last year and stopped taking in middle of 2 bday pack as was getting same restlessness but then also started getting shooting pains in back of one leg..I was actually limping for a few days. Mods I am not asking for medical advice , just wondering if any other ladies have experienced same leg restlessness? Anyone else on cilest in particular? Thanks for reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

Hi everyone,
    Apologies if this is in wrong place. I started a new pill, cilest, and just coming towards end of first pack. Three more pills left but started spotting yesterday and have light period today. I think this is normal enough when on new pill but the thing worrying me is I have sort of what I can only describe as restless leg syndrome, kept me up last night and its annoying me again this evening, moving my ankles constantly. I'm not sure if this is just all in my head and subconsciuosly wary of scares in media re: clots. I was on dianette last year and stopped taking in middle of 2 bday pack as was getting same restlessness but then also started getting shooting pains in back of one leg..I was actually limping for a few days. Mods I am not asking for medical advice , just wondering if any other ladies have experienced same leg restlessness? Anyone else on cilest in particular? Thanks for reading

I get that too! very annoying:( been on cilest for more than a year, no problems apart from the restless legs at the end of a pack.

Measured myself over the weekend and apparently I'm a 33F, so I'll be trying on a couple of 34 Es and Fs to find the best fit.

I've been wearing 36C for I dunno how long. It's been plain for quite a while that it's all wrong, glad I have a better idea now!

What are yer favourite brands?

• Advertisement

Measured myself over the weekend and apparently I'm a 33F, so I'll be trying on a couple of 34 Es and Fs to find the best fit.

I've been wearing 36C for I dunno how long. It's been plain for quite a while that it's all wrong, glad I have a better idea now!

What are yer favourite brands?

Gorgeous in Debenhams
    love love love them

Advertisement