Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

That's not what the service is, Lloyds will merely provide the prescription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

well got my prescription so gonna try a chemist now....Boots i would say would take it. Very quick and cheap so far. I hope my prescription will be honoured now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Mods - I hope I have put this in the right forum!

Hi Ladies,

Wondering what people are paying for the Pill Zoely.
    Am on my second month of it. Was going to the chemist this morning to have the script filled. I had a look at the HSE price beforehand - around €8. Grand, I thought. There'll be a markup of a few quid but that's fair enough.

€19 was what I was quoted! More than twice the recommended price. Is this what people are paying for it? If it is, fair enough. But want to see if it is worth my while ringing around to find a lower price.

Ta,
    N.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

neemish wrote: »
    Mods - I hope I have put this in the right forum!

Hi Ladies,

Wondering what people are paying for the Pill Zoely.
    Am on my second month of it. Was going to the chemist this morning to have the script filled. I had a look at the HSE price beforehand - around €8. Grand, I thought. There'll be a markup of a few quid but that's fair enough.

€19 was what I was quoted! More than twice the recommended price. Is this what people are paying for it? If it is, fair enough. But want to see if it is worth my while ringing around to find a lower price.

Ta,
    N.

I was paying about €18 for it, definitely do ring around though as prices vary from place to place. Also ask if it would be cheaper to take all six months at once

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

The way pricing works in pharmacies now since all the recent cuts is as follows:

Private Prescription
    Ingredient cost + VAT (if applicable) + Markup + Dispensing Fee.

The ingredient cost and VAT will be uniform across all pharmacies, but the difference now lies in the markup and dispensing fee. A pharmacy can charge whatever they like here, so definitely shop around. Some places advertise 'No dispensing fee', but they may well have a higher markup, so be wary of that.

With regards to getting six months supply at once, it'll definitely be cheaper as you're only paying one dispensing fee rather than one each time you visit. Just be sure you don't end up with six months worth of a tablet that doesn't suit you and you can't take, maybe get one pack first, and if it works out ok, go back and get the other five.

Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Have had one month and so far, so good. Less of the monthly monster I usually am!

Am one of the people who is in the process of losing my medical card because I am over the threshold. Even though I spend a fortune on medical expenses every month and am on different meds :-( But that's another story. Need to find a way that I can afford to stay on my meds. Even €144 would break me. So I think I'll be spending a while ringing different pharmacies and seeing what I can shave off the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

@neemish - talk to pharmacists. Their dispensing fee can be high and cost per item per month, however if you get 3 or 6 months dispensed you only pay 1 dispensing fee.

Also, check if any of your meds that you are on are available over the counter - you won't need to pay a dispensing fee.

Some pharmacies around universities provide a student discount. While you may not be a student perhaps if you approached the pharmacist and explained your circumstances they may be able to make an exception?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I usually get a few months prescription at a time but being the clever spa that I am, ive ended up still having Octobers prescription and none for this month.

Am I still able to use that or have I to just get a new one, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I usually get a few months prescription at a time but being the clever spa that I am, ive ended up still having Octobers prescription and none for this month.

Am I still able to use that or have I to just get a new one, does anyone know?

They're valid for 6 months from the date they're written, so yep - you should be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

so I finally got my hands on a measuring tape and did the almighty measuring guide!..all i can say is, my poor girls! I have treated them so wrongly all these years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Something I discovered lately that I wanted to let people know.

Most of us have read the information leaflets that come with our pills, I pride myself in my knowledge of mine, but did you know they have an expiry date!??

I always keep a spare pack in case I'm sick and need to take another pill, and my spare pack would only be missing a few in a whole year. Now what I'm doing is rotating the packs, taking all of the spare ones and keeping a new prescription as the spare box, as the use by date on my pill (Cilest) isn't very long at all, never more than a year anyway.

Something to keep an eye on ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Most of us have read the information leaflets that come with our pills, I pride myself in my knowledge of mine, but did you know they have an expiry date!??

I always keep a spare pack in case I'm sick and need to take another pill, and my spare pack would only be missing a few in a whole year. Now what I'm doing is rotating the packs, taking all of the spare ones and keeping a new prescription as the spare box, as the use by date on my pill (Cilest) isn't very long at all, never more than a year anyway.

All medication has an expiry date, which must be strictly adhered to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Difficulty with Cilest the last few months. We weren't able to get anything longer dated than 04/14 for quite a while. Most pills have a much better expiry thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AutumnLady

Hi all

I have been living abroad for quite a number of years, most recently in the UK where you can get the pill on the NHS.

Anyway, my question is 'How much does the pill cost per month in Ireland?'

I am on the 'Yasmin' brand.

Thanks in advance :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was on Yasminelle which is similar, it cost me around €13/month - but €52 if I got 6 months worth of it at once in Boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

While not answering the question you've asked (since I don't have a notion!), the OH recently used this

https://www.lloydsonlinedoctor.ie/female_patients/oral_contraception/the_pill

To cut down the Doctors visit fee (25 euro for 6 months) so may help you save some cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Depends on the pill and on the chemist.

My local chemist charges sixteen euro for my Cerazette. My chemist at work charges 11 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aloe 84

Does a smear test show up stds it do you have to ask for a stds test

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

No, smear tests are for cervical cancer cells or pre-cancerous cells only.

There's a range of tests for STIs, you'll need to go to a wellwoman clinic, or get a referral from your GP. Maybe GPs do them nowadays too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

A smear just checks for cervical cancer cells AFAIK- you will need to request an STI check if you need it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 aloe 84

Thats what I was thinking, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Anyone got any experience of the Mirena coil?

I've just had a baby, and am going to ask about it at my six-week check-up. Will they do it there and then, do you think, or will they get me to come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I've no experience of using it but they'll give you a prescription for it then if together with your doctor you decide it's suitable for it then you'll have to collect the coil from a pharmacy and bring it back. If you don't already have a medical card or drugs payment card bring your family's PPS numbers as you can do an emergency registration in the pharmacy and the cost of the coil will be capped at €144

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

what angeldelight said. I would have been seriously out of pocket if the pharmacist hadn't mentioned the drugs payment scheme!

not sure would they do it at the checkup... I've not had kids but had to go for a chat with the doc first, where she gave me the prescription. I had to insert a drug to open the cervix a few hours in advance of my appointment, again not sure does everyone or just those who havent had a baby. If everyone has to take that, then you'll probably have to go back another time. Also I had to go at a certain point during my period, which makes it difficult to schedule!

Getting a Mirena was the best thing ever, no complaints from me! I was a bit thick and didnt make time to eat anything in advance of the (lunchtime)appointment. Doc then wouldnt let me take a painkiller on an empty stomach to pre-empt any cramps. I'll be honest and say I wasn't feeling great afterwards and was glad my OH met me from the clinic. A bite to eat, painkiller and hot water bottle helped a lot once I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sisii

Hi, just came back from visit in hospital.In small shock
    So I had(still have) Implanon for over a year..and i was bleeding all the time..ok it sometimes stoped for week or so and started again..so i went to GP to change it to Mirena...They put in Mirena and tryed to remove the implanon..they did the cut tryed for half an hour and did stiches and send me away couse they cant get it out..and i waited for appointment for surgent around two months so i got my appointment but surgent ggive me paper that i must go under General anaesthetic to remove it...And i said to my husband that after Mirena no more contraception from my side:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Anyone got any experience of the Mirena coil?

I've just had a baby, and am going to ask about it at my six-week check-up. Will they do it there and then, do you think, or will they get me to come back?

They usually do it at certain times of your cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Hi ladies :)
    So glad I stumbled across this board.
    Just wondering has anyone experience of the non hormonal IUD?
    I am fed up of hormoans, and absolutely, for reasons I prob shouldn't go into, know it is time for a change in my contraception method.
    I went to the well woman centre today, and they were lovely as always. I really want the copper IUD but am super nervous about the fitting as I have never had a baby, so would be greatful if anyone in my situation could shed any light on this subject.
    I know my periods will become irregular and heavier, but for me it's a trade off. Is the fitting really bad?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

January wrote: »
    They usually do it at certain times of your cycle.

Oh, I'm guessing they won't do it then so, as no sign of my periods returning just yet.

How long does that usually take? :confused: I'm not breastfeeding anymore, so I'm guessing they'll be back sooner than if I was ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Always had my first period around 8-10 weeks after giving birth :)

• Advertisement

Hi ladies, hoping someone with experience of Dianette can help me.

I came off the pill (Mercilon) over two years ago and my skin went crazy. It hasn't settled down at all so I decided (reluctantly) to go back on the pill, but this time I've been given Dianette to try to clear up my skin. I've only been on it for four days and I'm constantly hungry. My stomach starts rumbling like crazy an hour or two after a meal, which is getting really annoying and embarrassing. Is this normal in the beginning and is this side effect likely to go away? I know everyone has different experiences but I'm just interested to know if others who had this side effect found that it subsided over time.

Advertisement