Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I definitely ate more when I was on Dianette, although I didn't get the rumbling tummy. It could settle down though, early days yet :)

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I definitely ate more when I was on Dianette, although I didn't get the rumbling tummy. It could settle down though, early days yet :)

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Had the mirena fitted last night. The insertion was a little painful, it was just like the worse period pain you could imagine. But it settled. As I was at the doc, they wanted to do some blood tests too. Probably not the best idea when I wasn't feeling great (cramping started about 5 mins after insertion and was agony to be honest). She didn't get a vein on the first go, tried again and then I got really dizzy. She took my blood pressure and it had dropped to 100/30! Took about 40 minutes for me to be ok to get off the bed and leave. Spent the night curled up from the pain with a hot water bottle on my stomach popping ibuprofen and paracetamol. There were a few tears. It had pretty much settled by this morning though but I'm absolutely exhausted.

I was expecting it to be like this because I haven't had any children and didn't have any anesthetic (also forgot to take some painkillers before I went!) but the feeling afterwards, like somebody squeezing all your organs, really overwhelmed me! That's it for 5 years though, much better than taking a pill every day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

SillyBeans wrote: »
    Had the mirena fitted last night. The insertion was a little painful, it was just like the worse period pain you could imagine. But it settled. As I was at the doc, they wanted to do some blood tests too. Probably not the best idea when I wasn't feeling great (cramping started about 5 mins after insertion and was agony to be honest). She didn't get a vein on the first go, tried again and then I got really dizzy. She took my blood pressure and it had dropped to 100/30! Took about 40 minutes for me to be ok to get off the bed and leave. Spent the night curled up from the pain with a hot water bottle on my stomach popping ibuprofen and paracetamol. There were a few tears. It had pretty much settled by this morning though but I'm absolutely exhausted.

I was expecting it to be like this because I haven't had any children and didn't have any anesthetic (also forgot to take some painkillers before I went!) but the feeling afterwards, like somebody squeezing all your organs, really overwhelmed me! That's it for 5 years though, much better than taking a pill every day :)

That's fairly similar to a friend's description of the procedure. She painkillered herself beforehand though so don't think it was quite as severe!

It's on the to-do list for me as well. Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrs appletart

In the past 6 months I have started taking the contraceptive pill again. Unfortunately I'm finding that in about week two I am having spot bleeding and a horrible dark brown discharge. This lasts almost my entire cycle, except maybe a few days after my free week. Its causing me to dry up during sex and leaves both me and my partner sore after sex. I've changed my pill but it hasn't improved. I got a swab done but the results only show thrush. My question is, is thrush not a creamy/white colour? Isn't it supposed to itch? I use canestan cream but I don't think it works, mainly because I don't think it is thrush I have. Has anyone else experienced this? Its really bothering me as its affecting my sex life.:(
    Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

• Advertisement

Hi mrs apple tart,
    I've moved your post to the main thread. Noone here is qualified to give medical advice so you will need to talk to your medical practitioner for that, but people are welcome to share their experiences :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You need to treat the thrush properly, internally. <modsnip - no medical advice please>Thrush has lots of different symptoms, and it can cause dryness which leads to fissures (tiny tears) which bleed. If you've had a swab done that showed thrush, you've got thrush. You should abstain from sex until it's entirely cleared up.

/edit: The mod edit means my post makes no sense now, but basically speak to your doctor about treatments for thrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Yeah I've had thrush that was like that.

As Faith said, treat it properly. Have a chat to your GP or pharmacist.

But it's totally normal to have the symptoms you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ive had thrush like that also. Totally symptom free, only knew about it because my doctor spotted it during a smear. I was prescribed a medicine (fluconazole) that you take orally and it basically kills all your fungus from the inside out.

Just a word on this - not medical advice - financial advice. Fluconazole is available otc in the UK and NI. You can buy a generic version in Boots for about 3 pound. By contrast to get it in Ireland you must pay a GP for the prescription (anything from 40 to 60 euro) plus the pharmacy price and the dispensary cost -typically about 15 euro. 3 pound versus 75 euro? Its a no brainer - take a bus to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I'm not sure if many of ye take tonics, but I'm wondering if ye know of any good ones?

I've only ever seen Fosfor in certain pharmacies, are there any others that ye have found good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 barhodgins

HI,

Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what the cost is for a private appointment with a gynaecologist...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I find Floradix tonic quite good as my iron's always low-ish. It's got other good stuff in it too. I'm quite forgetful so only really get the most benefit when I remember to take it twice a day, everyday. It has no preservatives so goes off fairly quickly, which is annoying for a scatterbrain like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭starlight1

barhodgins wrote: »
    HI,

Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what the cost is for a private appointment with a gynaecologist...

Cheers

Depends on who you go to see but I would estimate the average at between €150-€200 for initial appointment.

Good to get a recommendation if you can.

I paid €200 last June and this included consultation and pelvic ultrasound which depending on issues you may need or may be recommended to you

Ive had thrush like that also. Totally symptom free, only knew about it because my doctor spotted it during a smear. I was prescribed a medicine (fluconazole) that you take orally and it basically kills all your fungus from the inside out.

Just a word on this - not medical advice - financial advice. Fluconazole is available otc in the UK and NI. You can buy a generic version in Boots for about 3 pound. By contrast to get it in Ireland you must pay a GP for the prescription (anything from 40 to 60 euro) plus the pharmacy price and the dispensary cost -typically about 15 euro. 3 pound versus 75 euro? Its a no brainer - take a bus to Belfast.

Just on this... Last time I had thrush I had a bad dose of it & needed a month long course of fluconazole. Which needed the doctor. Had tried cream, pessary, the single dose diflucan, and a week long course too. I was not a happy camper :(

It'd be worth chatting to the pharmacy about other treatment options (pessary or thrush cream).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there all,

Not looking for any medical opinions and did search for similar threads......

I have a quick question just mainly to gather some other people's experiences with regard regularity of periods after coming off the pill.

I am 32 and came off mine after being on it off and on since I was 19. I was prescribed it back then because I had horrendously painful, heavy and long lasting periods. Once I went on microlite all the problems dissipated, pretty much!

But, with my age and all that, and really that myself and my partner never rely on it as contraception, I decided to come of it and did so successfully. Periods are a little tougher but nothing like they used to be.

My problem is regularity. They are pretty much every 3 weeks now. I am keeping note of dates and since early December the time between periods is becoming less and less!

The internet (!) tells me that is down to my body now being deficient in vitamin d and iron, which is grand but just wondered if other could share their experiences?

I have been for a smear in the mean time and everything is all hunky dory down there so just said I would ask for some possible wisdom here before I start annoying the doctors! (who really don't appear to like people popping in to discuss various ailments!)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

MOD

Hi Nixors,

I've moved your thread to the existing thread for all things LadyGardening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Endocrinologist told me 3 - 4 weeks is not for them to worry about. Soooo basically it has to be outside of 3 weeks for them to further investigate is what she was but wasn't but was telling me! Even so, every-three-weeks-or-so can and does pretty much boil down to twice in the one month really. No wonder am killed tired. :/ One period is tiring / draining enough to deal with. But have to say, i.m.o. it's very much tolerable / acceptable in comparison to not having any rhythm or pattern whatsoever and not having any clue as to when it'll strike. :eek: Would hate to be one of those poor unlucky gals that have to go through that. That must be a total nightmare I'd say where a pattern never emerged at all and it's just totally spontaneous all year round. Still and all though it's pretty crap to only have half a month to rely on as period-free! What we have to put up with eh?! :D Such a bloody pain. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrs appletart

Thank you for your advice. And your right about the Fluconazole. My thrush seems to come back at the same time every month, even after taking the Fluconazole and using Canestan cream (don't really find it any use). So I think its a trip to Newry for me! I also have an appointment with a Natureopath to see if there are some natural medicines I could take. I have a bit of a sinus problem too and my GP said that its very possible to two are linked.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Thank you for your advice. And your right about the Fluconazole. My thrush seems to come back at the same time every month, even after taking the Fluconazole and using Canestan cream (don't really find it any use). So I think its a trip to Newry for me! I also have an appointment with a Natureopath to see if there are some natural medicines I could take. I have a bit of a sinus problem too and my GP said that its very possible to two are linked.

Just be really, really careful about the natureopath - make sure that the treatments don't clash with anything that you're on. Also, lots of those tinctures come encased in sugar which can exasperate thrush.

When I had recurrent thrush*, my doctor started prescribing a week-long course of fluconazole rather than the 1 tablet course. So for really persistent thrush, it's important to talk to a GP and explain that the single dose doesn't seem to be sorting it out for you.

*I think I've shaken it, after three week-long courses of fluconazole (one a month, like you) and I've given up sugar. It's a persistent bugger though, so it can take some time and effort to get rid of properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lucyfur wrote: »
    MOD

Hi Nixors,

I've moved your thread to the existing thread for all things LadyGardening :)

Thank you! Apologies for totally missing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

Sorry if this has been done..but..I started microlite 5 months ago.

I have gained nearly 1 stone in weight since - I don't think I eat more than I did before I started but every week I seem to be up weight. I am very conscious and try to eat healthy but I am not loosing anything.

I started it as my moods were bad for about a week each month and thought it would help. I was on Yasmin for two months previous and had a depression from hell..it really didn't agree with me.

I don't really want to change again & have to get used to something else if possible.

Has anybody else experienced weight gain with microlite??

I had a tiny bit of weight gain due to increased appetite, but even after changing pill (for different reasons) I still have a much better appetite than I ever did beforehand.

The pill can cause weight gain, but only as a result of increased appetite (or at least that's what I've been told by my doctor and read in the leaflets). You might be experiencing the weight gain for some other reason, but the most likely one is that you're either exercising less or eating more.

If your appetite is increasing, it's very possible that you're not noticing yourself eating more. If you really don't think you're eating more, talk to your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

The most the pill can increase your weight is 2 - 3 pounds. No way it would cause you to gain a stone. It might have increased your appetite though.

Thanks true-or-false.

I honestly don't think I am eating more - I have serious carb cravings that I never had before but I don't give in!! I was just thinking about when it started and the pill seems to be linked.

Maybe I will give it another month and if I still find I'm gaining weight I will look to change it. Will also up the exercise.

Thanks again.

Thanks littleblackDRS.

I wasn't sure as it hasn't happened on any other.

Solve one problem & create another lol.

Eat less and move more from tomorrow & hopefully I will loose it soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

It took me ages to get used to microlite, my moods were all over the place, then i started getting migraines, so the doctor had to take me back off it. I was put on a progesterone only pill, but now my body is just like NOPE, we're not going to have any kind of routine cycle at all.

Damn pill :P

I had a ten day migraine recently too. It was hell.

Hopefully it will all calm down soon!!!

How long does it normally take a pessary to work for thrush?

• Advertisement

Anything from a few hours to a couple of days, IME.

Advertisement