Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

sullivlo wrote: »
    How long does it normally take a pessary to work for thrush?

I haven't always had overnight relief from them, but they do clear it up eventually if it's not a major bout of thrush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Can anyone recommend any good de-stressing techniques? I'm due into my GP for my first smear test on Tuesday and I'll also be getting my Mirena changed. I'm utterly dreading it as I just can't relax during these sort of examinations. I mean I know what to expect- mild discomfort at the most- but the last time a doctor was around my bits, I left feeling sore, battered and violated. :(
    I'm not good with pelvic exams AT ALL and usually end up in tears on the table.
    Any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

McChubbin wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any good de-stressing techniques? I'm due into my GP for my first smear test on Tuesday and I'll also be getting my Mirena changed. I'm utterly dreading it as I just can't relax during these sort of examinations. I mean I know what to expect- mild discomfort at the most- but the last time a doctor was around my bits, I left feeling sore, battered and violated. :(
    Any help would be great.

I don't really find these examinations too bad but a friend freezes completely. She has found that the best way around it for her is to explain her situation to the person doing the smear or whatever and listens to some music on her headphones while practicing relaxation breathing. She still dreads it but finds that this helps her somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I haven't always had overnight relief from them, but they do clear it up eventually if it's not a major bout of thrush.

I'm in a bit of pain with it. Will ask chemist tomorrow if I can use a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

sullivlo wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of pain with it. Will ask chemist tomorrow if I can use a second.

Yeah you're probably best off :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

McChubbin wrote: »
    Any help would be great.

I found the last time that thinking about something that makes me really happy (my guinea pigs) helped me to relax and not feel as stressed. There was a discussion on this thread a few months ago as well where ambersky pointed out that you can always ask the nurse or doctor if you can insert the speculum yourself. Having a bit more control over the process might help you feel less stressed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I'm just wondering what the general opinion is about relying on just your hormonal method for contraception?
    I'm on the patch and am extremely careful with it. Myself and my boyfriend are together nearly 2 years and we both want to ditch the condoms! We have both be tested and are STI free.
    Would you consider it safe to just rely on your patch, pill, implant etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm on a pill my phone apparently won't let me spell. We both really really don't want children, so we use condoms most of the time. Every so often we'll 'go' without. Not often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    Would you consider it safe to just rely on your patch, pill, implant etc?
    Depends what level of risk you're willing to accept. It is of course safer to use a backup method, but the protection from a hormonal method should be sufficient on its own. From my point of view - I'm comfortable with using a combined pill as my only method. I'm in a long-term monogamous relationship, the risk of pregnancy is very low, and even if it did happen it wouldn't be a disaster at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Just wondering has anyone had any experience of ongoing thrush symptoms that don't go away after pessaries or Flucanazole? I've had all the symptoms of thrush in their most severe form for the last 6 weeks, aggravated when I walk, go to the bathroom etc.

Doc took a swab and the results showed no sign of yeast, but prescribed me Flucanazole and a pessary to be sure. Took these (2 weeks back) and symptoms didn't go away, and they have been no better the last few weeks. Haven't been able to have intercourse as it hurts too much, going to the bathroom causes great discomfort (burning, itching afterwards), and materials rubbing off it too much causes severe itching.

No STDs, so not sure what else it could be if the swab is showing no yeast? Is it possible it might be just the external symptoms that need time to clear up, but the internal cause is gone?

Understand that no medical advice can be provided, but anyone who can share experiences please do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is bordering on asking for medical advice but wondering if anyone has any experience with this. For the past while I seem to get a dose of what feels like a kidney/bladder infection of some description. It seems to happen if I don't drink a lot during the day. I find that I need to urinate a lot, when I do it's a dribble and it can be painful. I find if I drink a lot of water and then go to the loo I'm fine. It only seems to last a few hours, a day at the most but it's quite annoying as it happens about once a week at this point. Any thoughts?

Mods feel free to delete if I'm crossing a line :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

So, an update on my Mirena issues:
    I'm only just back from the doctor! It took three tries with both metal and plastic speculums to locate my cervix. The gynae was really nice and walked me through everything she was doing but because my cervix was so difficult to locate, she called in the head doctor of the practice to assist her. Turned out to be the man I mentioned in the Cries of Patients thread who told me I'd be better off having a baby.:rolleyes: Oh, the irony!
    There was some difficulty in him finding the strings but he got the thing out in record time and the smear was completely painless.
    Only bad part was when he was inserting the new coil- he kept pushing down on my bladder as he was doing it and it pinched really badly. I yelled "FUUUCK!" really loudly! :D
    But, sure enough, it was over and done with swiftly so I can't really complain.
    I'm due back in 6 weeks to get the strings checked and my smear results.
    All in all, it wasn't as bad as I was dreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is bordering on asking for medical advice but wondering if anyone has any experience with this. For the past while I seem to get a dose of what feels like a kidney/bladder infection of some description. It seems to happen if I don't drink a lot during the day. I find that I need to urinate a lot, when I do it's a dribble and it can be painful. I find if I drink a lot of water and then go to the loo I'm fine. It only seems to last a few hours, a day at the most but it's quite annoying as it happens about once a week at this point. Any thoughts?

I have this! I went to my GP and she just printed off a page of advice from Dr Google :rolleyes: and told me to drink lots of water, pee after sex and she might maybe consider giving me a long term dose of antibiotics in the future but at present she felt I was too young... I had difficultly restraining myself from her, the fact that I had to rush off to pee (AGAIN!!) was the only thing to get me out of there :D

Hope this isn't counted as medical advice but what works for me is a spoonful of baking soda in a glass of water and neck it (it's horrible) when I feel the slightest twinge of stingyness coming on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

im so frustrated :( i know im over weight but i cant get the gynaecologist to get over it. says he "wont be doing anything" until i lose weight. i didnt go to him for my weight i went to him cus my period is averageing at 18 days long. he never even examined me. weigh me and said what he said. unreal. his only usefull advice was i can use the minipill, which i dont want, instead of paying any attention to me wanting the copper coil. are they all as frustrating as this?

Still getting some serious cramping every couple of days since I got this Mirena. Anyone else still had cramping for about 3 ish weeks? I went to get it checked cos the wires were suddenly far lower than they had been (almost sticking out :o) and they said it was fine and the cramps were normal but seems weird to me...

PucaMama wrote: »
    im so frustrated :( i know im over weight but i cant get the gynaecologist to get over it. says he "wont be doing anything" until i lose weight. i didnt go to him for my weight i went to him cus my period is averageing at 18 days long. he never even examined me. weigh me and said what he said. unreal. his only usefull advice was i can use the minipill, which i dont want, instead of paying any attention to me wanting the copper coil. are they all as frustrating as this?

I don't know your story and I could be way off but I think the reason he's probably being like that is because unless he eliminates the most obvious cause then there's no point trying to sort the more unlikely reasons because if he tries a different treatment and it doesn't work, he wont know if it's because it's the wrong treatment or if it's because the weight is still causing problems. That said, he sounds like he could work on his bedside manner and he should definitely have examined you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

SillyBeans wrote: »
    I don't know your story and I could be way off but I think the reason he's probably being like that is because unless he eliminates the most obvious cause then there's no point trying to sort the more unlikely reasons because if he tries a different treatment and it doesn't work, he wont know if it's because it's the wrong treatment or if it's because the weight is still causing problems. That said, he sounds like he could work on his bedside manner and he should definitely have examined you!

about a year ago, he told me i was having no periods because i was overweight now he says there so long cus im overweight (i had none for about 4 years) :confused:

PucaMama wrote: »
    about a year ago, he told me i was having no periods because i was overweight now he says there so long cus im overweight (i had none for about 4 years) :confused:

Hmmm, I dunno, I have heard that being either over or under weight can affect periods so maybe it can just affect you in a different way at different times? I had the same issue from my doctor but to be fair to her, I lost weight and the majority of my symptoms settled a lot. That said I've gained a fair bit back (taking my time with my Christmas weight this year!). I had no periods for ages and then really heavy and then huge gaps between them. I went on the pill for years and they were fine when I came off it. Definitely ask for a second opinion if you're not happy though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Get a second opinion - while weight *can* affect your cycle (I had 4 light ones a year when I was 4-5 stone overweight, which became 11 heavy ones a year at normal weight) it's absolutely absurd not to even examine you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Purple Pawprints - I get the same and just use giant amounts of water to get rid of them. I suggest having a chat with a pharmacist, explaining your symptoms and what you do to treat the symptoms, they could have something useful to add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I think that's a good idea IWMD. Thanks so much to everyone who replied. Water seems to be the only thing that gets rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I went to the pharmacist who told me to go to the doctor, so I'm now fully loaded with scripts for different doses of diflucan. Great fun is thrush!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Hi ladies,

Just looking for some advice on running pill packets together. I was on the mini pill until 3 months ago, so this has never been an issue for me before. I'm on Yasminelle and I'm going on hols next week on the day that my period is due to start. I was thinking about skipping the week off and going straight on to my next pack, but I'm wondering if it's likely to cause other problems? Does it usually cause side effects? I'm especially concerned about whether it could affect my mood, as the last thing I want is to be a miserable, weepy cow on holiday! Thanks for any experiences you can share.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone had any experience of ongoing thrush symptoms that don't go away after pessaries or Flucanazole? I've had all the symptoms of thrush in their most severe form for the last 6 weeks, aggravated when I walk, go to the bathroom etc.

Doc took a swab and the results showed no sign of yeast, but prescribed me Flucanazole and a pessary to be sure. Took these (2 weeks back) and symptoms didn't go away, and they have been no better the last few weeks. Haven't been able to have intercourse as it hurts too much, going to the bathroom causes great discomfort (burning, itching afterwards), and materials rubbing off it too much causes severe itching.

No STDs, so not sure what else it could be if the swab is showing no yeast? Is it possible it might be just the external symptoms that need time to clear up, but the internal cause is gone?

Understand that no medical advice can be provided, but anyone who can share experiences please do!

I get crippled with thrush, but have never experienced getting an all-clear from the swab and still having symptoms after precautionary treatment. Have you discussed other possible causes with your doctor? I've had similar symptoms from bladder/kidney infections. Have you changed laundry detergent or anything that might cause an allergic reaction? No medical advice being offered here at all, except to speak to your doctor about those possibilities.
    Hi guys,

I had that for a good while a few years ago - cystitis that seemed to come and go. Then one day it flared into a huge, painful kidney infection. I got antibiotics for that and it all cleared up. Since then, I always make sure to pee after sex.
    Piglet85 wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Just looking for some advice on running pill packets together. I was on the mini pill until 3 months ago, so this has never been an issue for me before. I'm on Yasminelle and I'm going on hols next week on the day that my period is due to start. I was thinking about skipping the week off and going straight on to my next pack, but I'm wondering if it's likely to cause other problems? Does it usually cause side effects? I'm especially concerned about whether it could affect my mood, as the last thing I want is to be a miserable, weepy cow on holiday! Thanks for any experiences you can share.

Depends on you, unfortunately. I've run several different brands together over the years with no issues. Then I ran 2 packets of Yaz together and turned into a depressed monster!

I don't think you can predict the effect it will cause hormonally, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Hiya ladies, hoping someone else has experienced this, so I can be told it's normal.

I'm on Cerazette and have been for a few years. It stops my period, which is great because due to PCOS, I get bad periods.

However, I got my first period in about a year, 5 days ago, and it's getting worse and worse. I'm bleeding too much to leave my house, using pads AND tampons, and I'm in agony with cramps. I've never bled this much before.

For anyone who stopped getting periods on Cerazette, when they came back, were they this bad??

If I get another one like this, I'll be going back to the doctor because today, I'm having to change both a pad and a tampon every 30 minutes. :eek:

Is this my body punishing me for not having a period for so long?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

If I get another one like this, I'll be going back to the doctor because today, I'm having to change both a pad and a tampon every 30 minutes. :eek:

Listen, I dont want to frighten you but if you are losing so much blood that you are having to change a pad and tampon every 30 minutes you must seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY!

Stop posting about it on the internet and get to an A&E dept ASAP.

Listen, I dont want to frighten you but if you are losing so much blood that you are having to change a pad and tampon every 30 minutes you must seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY!

Stop posting about it on the internet and get to an A&E dept ASAP.

I've had periods this heavy before, and have never needed medical attention for them. Just not lasting this long, usually it calms down by now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I've had periods this heavy before, and have never needed medical attention for them. Just not lasting this long, usually it calms down by now!

Please seek medical attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm on that pill too, it stopped my periods for a few months, but now they seem to be back, and lasting two weeks at a time every time. Though they're not very heavy. Get them monthly too. Annoying.

Depending on how long it's going on for, I'd agree with above.
    Is it normal period consistency or more like blood?

• Advertisement

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I'm on that pill too, it stopped my periods for a few months, but now they seem to be back, and lasting two weeks at a time every time. Though they're not very heavy. Get them monthly too. Annoying.

Depending on how long it's going on for, I'd agree with above.
    Is it normal period consistency or more like blood?

Normal consistency. As I said above, I've always had them very heavily, just not usually lasting so long. If yours are lasting two weeks, i guess it may just be a side effect that they last longer when they come back.

The heaviness doesn't worry me, that's fairly standard for my first 3 days of a period.

Advertisement