Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Has anyone here had any experience of weight gain on the progesterone only pill(POP)? I went back for my three month check up only to be horrified to be told that I'd put on over 6kg since starting it.

If this is causing weight gain I want to stop before starting my next pack on Monday, but I'm undecided what to do. It's nice to be covered by the pill but it's not worth this.

I didn't put on weight on the POP but I was trying to lose weight and it was close to impossible. I mean it took me four months to lose a stone, eating very little.

It probably didn't make you put on weight, but your appetite could have increased without you noticing, or any healthy eating/exercise you were doing might not have been having the effect it should have, because of the POP. I'm no scientist though, just guessing!

Are you able to get an appointment to chat to your GP soon? Or would it be the end of the world to take it for one more month while you suss things out?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I didn't put on weight on the POP but I was trying to lose weight and it was close to impossible. I mean it took me four months to lose a stone, eating very little.

This. I was actively trying to lose weight when I was on the POP and I stayed the exact same weight. I'm very sure I was just preventing weight gain by losing the weight I was putting on every week, rather than losing weight from my actual starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Faith wrote: »
    This. I was actively trying to lose weight when I was on the POP and I stayed the exact same weight. I'm very sure I was just preventing weight gain by losing the weight I was putting on every week, rather than losing weight from my actual starting point.

Im wondering if this is happening me. I used to find it reasonably easy to drop 10lb if necessary simply by cleaning up my diet (ditching snacks and having 2 or 3 salad dinners a week) but since Ive gone onto Cerazette my weight will NOT go down no matter what I do.

Im thinking about the Mirena again, now Im back working I can afford the layout, but Im really squeamish at the prospect of something physically being inserted into me. Not the procedure but the thoughts of a foreign body in my body. I feel a bit freaked out by it. I have surgical pins from an old operation and they played on my mind for years and I would feel a bit ill if I touched the skin over them. I know its just a psychological thing. I havent had children either so not sure if itd work out.

I do love having no period on Cerazette, do you get a period with the Mirena?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Im thinking about the Mirena again, now Im back working I can afford the layout,
    The additional cost of my Mirena was covered by the Drugs Payment Scheme.
    I do love having no period on Cerazette, do you get a period with the Mirena?

I didn't. It was the reason my doc recommended it, though I should add I was having spectacularly heavy periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Excuse my ignorance but is it not bad to have no periods for years on end while on the mirena? Bone density problems I mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 piggly wiggly

Had no periods for eight years on same mirena Coil. I never replaced due to money/being single/no time. ..ya da ya da. In end, it embedded and needed a D & C. The second coil has migrated. Strings disappeared after a day. My xray other day has shown it on a wee adventure in my inner space. I'm not sure how they will get it out. (At 90 degree angle very high in pelvis) but I won't be getting it again. Read the small print honeys.....PS .. bones are fine....Not sure if that helps, but I'm a lazy cow, if they were gonna go, they'd go on me. Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Im wondering if this is happening me. I used to find it reasonably easy to drop 10lb if necessary simply by cleaning up my diet (ditching snacks and having 2 or 3 salad dinners a week) but since Ive gone onto Cerazette my weight will NOT go down no matter what I do.

That was how I experienced it, anyway. My usual weight loss tactics just failed utterly on Cerazette.

Had no periods for eight years on same mirena Coil. I never replaced due to money/being single/no time. ..ya da ya da. In end, it embedded and needed a D & C. The second coil has migrated. Strings disappeared after a day. My xray other day has shown it on a wee adventure in my inner space. I'm not sure how they will get it out. (At 90 degree angle very high in pelvis) but I won't be getting it again. Read the small print honeys.....PS .. bones are fine....Not sure if that helps, but I'm a lazy cow, if they were gonna go, they'd go on me. Hope that helps.

Did you have the same Mirena for eight years or am I reading this wrong? I understand the money constraint in getting it removed but surely you should have had it removed after five years? My biggest fear in getting a coil is the perforation of the womb, or the migration thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Are you able to get an appointment to chat to your GP soon? Or would it be the end of the world to take it for one more month while you suss things out?

I was there on Wednesday, to be honest I think I'm just not going to take the next month, 'm almost finishing the pack I'm on. I'll see if that makes a difference and if it doesn't make a difference I'll know something else is up.
    I even bought scales on Wednesday, anyone who knows me knows how ridiculous this is!

Did you have the same Mirena for eight years or am I reading this wrong? I understand the money constraint in getting it removed but surely you should have had it removed after five years? My biggest fear in getting a coil is the perforation of the womb, or the migration thing.

Yip, same Coil eight years. You're right. It should've been gone from five. But it still worked up until the day it was removed. Well I'm suffering the migration thing at minute with the second one and it's painful. Not debilitating but it would take solpadeine to calm it. It's only in a short while. Ultra sound couldn't find it but it was got on xray. Now I'm waiting for consultants appointment.

• Advertisement

Oh no, I wish I hadn't read the d&c and migration story. Now I'm even more squeamish about the idea!!

Now I'm thinking about going back to basics and trying out a diaphragm. Although I'm allergic to latex and possibly silicone so not sure how that's gonna work out.

Oh no, I wish I hadn't read the d&c and migration story. Now I'm even more squeamish about the idea!!

Now I'm thinking about going back to basics and trying out a diaphragm. Although I'm allergic to latex and possibly silicone so not sure how that's gonna work out.

My story is extreme because I was dumb and left it in there too long! Other than that it was brilliant! I think the reason my second one has gone awry is because it was inserted same day I was on operating table for D & C. Hope I haven't scared you off too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

My story is extreme because I was dumb and left it in there too long! Other than that it was brilliant! I think the reason my second one has gone awry is because it was inserted same day I was on operating table for D & C. Hope I haven't scared you off too much.
    +1 i had read some awful stories before getting mine in but it was fine. I'm glad I went to a well woman clinic as its quite routine for them, as opposed to my gp whos semi-retired (no disrespect to him, just you need to get it done at a certain stage in your cycle and he's hard to pin down!). They say that there's only a risk of perforation if the doc isn't v experienced with it. I had read a v reassuring tale of someone's experience online but couldn't find it on the day to put my mind at ease. If I can find it ill post a link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ShaunaLouise92

Totally - went back a few weeks later to a different M&S just to make sure - yep same size :D

Can't wear bra's from Penny's now after wearing a M&S one :D

I work in Penny's and I can safely say their bra's are awfully rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ShaunaLouise92

Hi Ladies

I want to get the contraceptive bar. I went to the well woman and she said she can't do it because I have to go to my GP but I don't have a GP anymore because I pretty much transferred all my medical notes to my well woman. Long story.

Does anyone know were exactly I should go? Does it come on a medical card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just go to a gp as they said?

Why can't you get a new Gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

MOD

Hi ShaunaLouise92,

I've moved your query to the lady-gardening thread.

All the best,

Lucy

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Can I ask how people taking cerazette is getting on?

I moved from logynon (which I loved) after 6 years to cerazette because of migraines. But I have read some horror stories about cerazette particularly about spotting/bleeding for days or weeks...some how I would prefer a migraine over that.

I'm only a week into the cerazette and seem to have no side effects as of yet. Heard people were spotting days after starting cerazette and other saying it stop the frequency of periods or stopped it altogether.

Kinda feel in limbo after leaving my good oul Logynon behind

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi. Going unreg for this.
    My boyfriend and I recently had an "accident" where the condom split. We were only using one method of contraception. I went the following morning to get the MAP from the pharmacy. I was advised I was not a suitable candidate for this though as I was marginally above the recommended weight for this. The pharmacist told me this was a recent change and I should go to the doctor instead for a prescription. I did this and got a pill called Ellaone. I took it and aside from tiredness thought there was little impact until about 2 days after. I got the worst period cramps that lasted for about 12 hours even when I took painkillers. I wasn't expecting my period for another week but the leaflet said it may come early or later or the same as normal so assuming the MAP caused early arrival. I find my mood is all over the place as well
    I'm just wondering if anyone else has taken this and how they got on? I suppose I was stupid but I wasn't expecting it to have such an impact on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

wendydoll wrote: »

I moved from logynon (which I loved) after 6 years to cerazette because of migraines. But I have read some horror stories about cerazette particularly about spotting/bleeding for days or weeks...some how I would prefer a migraine over that.

I'm only a week into the cerazette and seem to have no side effects as of yet. Heard people were spotting days after starting cerazette and other saying it stop the frequency of periods or stopped it altogether.

im on my second month of cerazette but ive had it before this too. i only got my period back last august during a year long break from hormonal contraception. i hadnt had them in about 4 years. i only went back in the pill as my period was lasting 20 days at a time. that hasnt changed yet im currently on day 16 of it. however ive got worse pains since ive started the pill again. im hoping it doesnt stop it all together i just want it shortened.

• Advertisement

On it 18 months now (came off mercilon due to occular migraine) and besides an increase in sebum production (greasier hair and skin), its grand. I was a bit emotional for the first few weeks - that settled down fine though. I dont have a period at all on it - which I am delighted about!

I do wonder if it makes it more difficult to lose weight. I go up and down within a range anyway but dont seem to be losing it as easily as I used to (it used to just take a general diet clean up to trigger a 6/7lb loss). So possibly thats a downside, although I havent put any serious effort into weight loss so it may just be coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Cerazette seems to be a real love/hate pill. Both myself and my sister have tried it - I gave up after 9 weeks because I'd spent 5 of them in full period mode (I'm on Mercilon now and quite happy with it), my sister has been on it for 3 years and hasn't had a period at all in that time.

Cerazette seems to be a real love/hate pill. Both myself and my sister have tried it - I gave up after 9 weeks because I'd spent 5 of them in full period mode (I'm on Mercilon now and quite happy with it), my sister has been on it for 3 years and hasn't had a period at all in that time.

Yeah I was a bit gutted re the occular migraine thing with Mercilon, it was a great stable predictable pill otherwise and over time had smoothed out period pain, my period had become lighter, my crazy woman behaviour was toned down etc...

Although I did discover as a result of coming off it that my near constant acid indigestion and intestinal candida problems were being caused by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hi. Going unreg for this.
    My boyfriend and I recently had an "accident" where the condom split. We were only using one method of contraception. I went the following morning to get the MAP from the pharmacy. I was advised I was not a suitable candidate for this though as I was marginally above the recommended weight for this. The pharmacist told me this was a recent change and I should go to the doctor instead for a prescription. I did this and got a pill called Ellaone. I took it and aside from tiredness thought there was little impact until about 2 days after. I got the worst period cramps that lasted for about 12 hours even when I took painkillers. I wasn't expecting my period for another week but the leaflet said it may come early or later or the same as normal so assuming the MAP caused early arrival. I find my mood is all over the place as well
    I'm just wondering if anyone else has taken this and how they got on? I suppose I was stupid but I wasn't expecting it to have such an impact on me.

Hi OP,

Your thread has been merged with the existing thread for all things gynae related.

Best of luck,

Lucy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The first time I was on cerazette, I had spotting every day for 3 months, so came off of it.

Tried it again a year ago and it's completely stopped my periods, with no other side effects. :)

My sister is also on cerazette for the past year, and has no issues. She had extremely heavy periods (as did I, which is why I went on it), and she gets regular, light periods now.

I actually forgot, there is one side effect for me - i get pms. I have never had it before cerazette, now I'm a moody cow for a week each month, without the period. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Thanks for the info on Cerazette ladies, after putting my mind at ease a little. Hopefully I will be one of the girls that love it rather than hate it. Still no side effects so far so fingers crossed it will remain like that.

Any ideas how much is it on a private prescription? I have a medical card atm but I won't be entitled to a medical card when its due for renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Thanks for the info on Cerazette ladies, after putting my mind at ease a little. Hopefully I will be one of the girls that love it rather than hate it. Still no side effects so far so fingers crossed it will remain like that.

Any ideas how much is it on a private prescription? I have a medical card atm but I won't be entitled to a medical card when its due for renewal.

It depends on the chemist. I pay 11.78 for it, but only in one specific chemist. In places like loyds and health express, it's a little over 15 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm 41 and I've been taking the pill since my early 20's. My GP thinks that I'm in perimenopause so I've been off the pill for 3 months to get a more accurate oestrogen level when I get some blood tests this week. I can't remember what the levels where when I had it done 3 months ago, but apparently they were very low.

I know I'm very young for menopause, but tbh it wouldn't surprise me, I've been ill for a long time and I think I may have written menopause symptoms off as part of the illness. My last period lasted a day and the one before that was very light and patchy. The last one I had on the pill was extremely heavy.

I just wondered if anyone could recommend any alternatives to the pill. I think my gp may want to change my contraception, I just want to be really careful as I've never wanted children and have avoided it so far, I don't want to end up with a surprise at this stage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I have an IUS and have been told by my GP I can stick with it( getting replacements) right the way true menopause when it happens. Which I am very interested in as it has stopped by periods all together which means I shouldn't have issues with flooding
    and a range of some of the other symptoms of menopause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

mod

Pumpkinseeds -I have merged your thread into this one.
    Sauve

Advertisement