Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Ladies.

I wonder if you could please advise me. I have been on cerazette for 6 months now. I went on them about 6 months after the birth of my last child. Due to family complications with blood clots and strokes I am only allowed to take the mini pill.

I have to confess. I was excited at the thoughts of going on the pill. I thought it would be a bit of liberation to me and my partners sex life, however i find the opposite is the case. I find that i am hardly in the mood. I also find i bleed a lot.

Has anyone experienced these problelms. Has another pill worked out better. I must add i am 34 and a non smoker.However i have a history of blood clotting in the family. This is something my doctor asked me when considering what pill to give me.

Thanks for listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

meathgirl1234 - this is indeed something that seems to crop up when taking the birth control pill.

Since you have medical reasons to be on the type of pill you are on you really must make all decisions about which pill to take with the guidance of your GP. Perhaps ask your GP if there is another "mini" pill you could try, or something like mirena which is also a low dose contraceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

So if youve got a mirena fitted you dont get any periods for the duration you have it fitted in? That could be a few years without one, is that a good thing (i know it is!:D) but i mean medically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So if youve got a mirena fitted you dont get any periods for the duration you have it fitted in? That could be a few years without one, is that a good thing (i know it is!:D) but i mean medically?

Not everyone who has the Mirena fitted will have their periods stop.
    Medically them stopping can have positive side effects in terms of the lack of blood and iron loss every month. All it means is that the lining of the womb never builds up so there is no need for it to come away.

Periods stopping can be a negative thing if it's due to illness or diet or stress,
    but this isn't any of those things.

Xiney wrote: »
    meathgirl1234 - this is indeed something that seems to crop up when taking the birth control pill.

Since you have medical reasons to be on the type of pill you are on you really must make all decisions about which pill to take with the guidance of your GP. Perhaps ask your GP if there is another "mini" pill you could try, or something like mirena which is also a low dose contraceptive.

yes i had mirena. Unfor for me it punctured my vigina wall and ended up in some cavity where it had to be removed by surgery. They then offered to insert it the next day surgically. Needless to say i offered to insert something else surgically... ;-)

Anyway. I appreciate it might look like i am looking for advice medically i am not sorry. I just wondered if anyone has encountered simular problems and what pill or solution they got.

Just so i can read up a little before i go to the doctor...

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

yes i had mirena. Unfor for me it punctured my vigina wall and ended up in some cavity where it had to be removed by surgery. They then offered to insert it the next day surgically. Needless to say i offered to insert something else surgically... ;-)

Anyway. I appreciate it might look like i am looking for advice medically i am not sorry. I just wondered if anyone has encountered simular problems and what pill or solution they got.

Just so i can read up a little before i go to the doctor...

Thanks again

Would you consider the implant? I can't take the ordinary pill either for similar reasons, but my dr recommended the implant and I've had no problems with it. Lasts 3 years too which is handy.

I have had a chat to a nurse their yesterday and she talked highly about the impanon(sp?). Tbh, I think something in my arm would kind of freak me out...as well as that I have read some stuff on the net, that really concerned me about getting it.

They are kind of putting me in the direction of the impanon, however I think after talking to a few mates that the mirena is the way to go...

Does anyone know if they give u painkillers etc for the procedure of numb you or anything? The pain is the only thing that is going to get me as I havn't had children before!

Also, Is it covered by the medical card? I was told that if i went down the road of the mirena that I would have to get it fitted elsewhere and money is an issue....??

Would you consider the implant? I can't take the ordinary pill either for similar reasons, but my dr recommended the implant and I've had no problems with it. Lasts 3 years too which is handy.

I would. If it works. However my understanding is the implant is long term. I am hopeing to go again in Jan Feb although listening to himself it will prob be sept/Oct or Jan Feb of 2012

Is the implant given in these short periods of time....

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Does anyone know if they give u painkillers etc for the procedure of numb you or anything? The pain is the only thing that is going to get me as I havn't had children before!

Also, Is it covered by the medical card? I was told that if i went down the road of the mirena that I would have to get it fitted elsewhere and money is an issue....??

I believe you take painkillers as well as a separate drug which softens / loosens up the cervix. This is only my understanding of what I've read on the net so hopefully other people can chime in on this.

I'm not sure if it's covered by the medical card. But - if you have a drugs payment scheme card (which everyone is entitled to afaik) then the coil itself plus whatever drugs you need to buy should not cost more than €120. Of course the doctor's fees will be on top of that again.

Hi Ladies.

I wonder if you could please advise me. I have been on cerazette for 6 months now. I went on them about 6 months after the birth of my last child. Due to family complications with blood clots and strokes I am only allowed to take the mini pill.

I have to confess. I was excited at the thoughts of going on the pill. I thought it would be a bit of liberation to me and my partners sex life, however i find the opposite is the case. I find that i am hardly in the mood. I also find i bleed a lot.

Has anyone experienced these problelms. Has another pill worked out better. I must add i am 34 and a non smoker.However i have a history of blood clotting in the family. This is something my doctor asked me when considering what pill to give me.

Thanks for listening.

I also have to take the mini pill due to a clotting disorder and the first one I tried was Cerazette, I had the same problems, my sex drive totally disappeared and I was bleeding a lot. I talked to my doctor and changed to Noriday, another mini pill. I don't have these problems anymore, the only thing is it doesn't have the long window that Cerazette does, it has to be taken within 3 hours of the same time every day. But apart from that I found it suited me better than Cerazette. This might be an option if you talk to your doctor.

• Advertisement

me too wrote: »
    I also have to take the mini pill due to a clotting disorder and the first one I tried was Cerazette, I had the same problems, my sex drive totally disappeared and I was bleeding a lot. I talked to my doctor and changed to Noriday, another mini pill. I don't have these problems anymore, the only thing is it doesn't have the long window that Cerazette does, it has to be taken within 3 hours of the same time every day. But apart from that I found it suited me better than Cerazette. This might be an option if you talk to your doctor.

I will check that with my doctor. Thank you. I dont like the short window but to be honest I have my pill time set on my phone as a reminder. I ignore it sometimes if i am doing something knowing i have the 12 hour window.

Is there anything about Noriday you like or dislike.... For example. does it put on weight or seem to retain water. Then i suppose you agree with me that Cerazette effects my sex drive. Now that i have easied back so to speak i dont want to go into overdrive. My other half will def think i have gone bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I would. If it works. However my understanding is the implant is long term. I am hopeing to go again in Jan Feb although listening to himself it will prob be sept/Oct or Jan Feb of 2012

Is the implant given in these short periods of time....

I don't know, it's expensive like so it mightn't be worth it just for the couple of months...it can be removed at any time but best to check with the doctor first, they might not recommend it just for a short period, though I can't really see any reason why not.

I got a letter offering me a free smear test (I turned 25 recently.) Problem is, it says "to have this free smear test, please make an appointment now with a GP or clinic to have your test in the next six weeks." But the letter is dated just over six weeks ago (I only opened it just now because I assumed it was a bank statement :o) Does anyone know if I'll still be able to get the free test? Thanks!

lornaboo wrote: »
    I got a letter offering me a free smear test (I turned 25 recently.) Problem is, it says "to have this free smear test, please make an appointment now with a GP or clinic to have your test in the next six weeks." But the letter is dated just over six weeks ago (I only opened it just now because I assumed it was a bank statement :o) Does anyone know if I'll still be able to get the free test? Thanks!
    You can call them and ask, I found them very helpful on the phone (though it takes forever for them to answer!), my first letter of invitation expired too, just never got round to it, so they sent me a second one a few weeks later.

Does anyone know how long after your 25th you get the letter?

'cause I'm turning 25 on the 22nd of November and would like to have my smear done that same week.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

:confused: i never got a letter for the smear test. my GP told me to register online: https://www.cervicalcheck.ie/self_register/self_register.459.selfregister.html

and at the end of the online form, i jotted down the reference number given. that was about a month ago, and i finally dragged my lazy ass to the doc for the test the other day. once you give them the registration number it should be free i think. it was for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yeah you have to register online first, then they send you out the letter, up to a few weeks after you apply.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

yeah, i did register, but i never got a letter. i just took down the online reference number and gave it to the doctor.

i did the online thing in september, and only got my smear on monday, so if i had to wait for a letter, i'd be still waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

Hi all, I'm heading off travelling next summer with my boyfriend for at least a year and wondering about contraception. Have been on the pill (Yasmin then Yasminelle) for the last seven years except for a gap last year where I got two contraceptive injections. First jab worked great but by five months in I had the most awful acne! Doc said I'm better suited to combined pill to control my skin so back I went to Yasminelle. Within a month of being back on the pill my skin was grand again.
    Before the Pill I also tried Nuvaring and hated it.

At the moment the pill is grand as I take it late at night and although I have IBS my stomach is always settled by 11pm. However the thoughts of going travelling with it are making me break into a cold sweat - I know for a fact I'll be sick and end up freaking out about pregnancy!

I've spoken to three doctors. My own GP said I could try the IUD (non-hormonal one) with the pill. Out of curiosity I asked two others (including the IFPS) who said they won't recommend it as I haven't had kids and am only 25. Not quite sure why I'm getting conflicting advice but I'm sure my own GP wouldn't recommend something he didn't think would suit me.

So I figure I could go for the pill/IUD option or I could try the patch as it also has combined hormone dosage. Does anyone have any experience of either of these methods? (I haven't heard much about the patch at all)

How is your skin? Any nasty side effects? Or any other suggestions for contraception while travelling?

I realise I'm planning way ahead but it's only 7 months away and it took me almost 6 months to figure out that the Depo wasn't working!

Cheers for your suggestions.

What about the impannon which goes in your arm as an option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

I asked the doc about Implanon before and he said it's progesterone-only like the Depo so no joy. I need the combined hormones to keep my skin in check apparently. Didn't realise I was acne prone until I came off the combined pill last year but thinking about it now I actually started on it when I was 16 so I guess I never got the chance to develop acne before!

Like I said I'm totally happy on Yasminelle but the doc put me on the injection when I was going travelling last year as he knows what my stomach (and my paranoia) is like. I REALLY wish it had worked - then implanon would most likely suit me too.

I'm a bit iffy about the coil but my mum swears by it. Then again, she's obviously had kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Thinspired wrote: »

So I figure I could go for the pill/IUD option or I could try the patch as it also has combined hormone dosage. Does anyone have any experience of either of these methods? (I haven't heard much about the patch at all)

I tried the Evra patch for almost 2 months. I also suffer with IBS quite badly and that was why my gp suggested it. One thing to note is that is has a much higher level of oestrogen than the average pill - about 50 - 60% more I think.

Initially I was fine, but suddenly my hair started to fall out. By the middle of the second month my hair was coming out in clumps. I didn't think it was related to the patch at all until I went to my gp who told me it was a common side effect. It stopped as soon as I stopped wearing it, but I lost about half of my hair. It might work for some but I wouldn't use it again tbh. I'm on yasminelle at the minute and it suits me much better :)

Well there is the IUD of IUCD which is know as the coil which has no horromoanes but
    can cause harsh periods and there is the IUS which is called theMirena which has progestogen.

It is fitted and put in place just like the coil but is hormoan based and statistically as good as getting your tubes tied, for the 5 years it lasts.

Yes you'd need to have an experienced Gynea fit it as you have not had kids but
    I would say look into it and see if you can be prescribed it.

It's not for everywoman but those who have it and haven't had any compliations it seems to work very well for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IntraUterine_System

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 caromurph

Hi, I'm new to this so I hope I'm doing this right! I need some help please. I have a copper coil and was always warned that it would make me periods heavier and more painful. I'm am no stranger to period pain but my periods are unreal heavy. So pain in fact that a few months ago, I ruined my chair at work! I think I've reached my limit and want to change to the Mirena. I have been told though that the Mirena lessens pain and doesn't make periods any heavier. Please let me know what your experiences have been; side effects, etc. I really appreciate your help as I want to get this sorted quickly, I'm sick of the pain and the massive towels I need to use. Thanks a million.

My period went away altogether with Mirena. It was wonderful.

I'm going to move this into the women's health thread :)

Edit, or not, since someone already did.

caromurph wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to this so I hope I'm doing this right! I need some help please. I have a copper coil and was always warned that it would make me periods heavier and more painful. I'm am no stranger to period pain but my periods are unreal heavy. So pain in fact that a few months ago, I ruined my chair at work! I think I've reached my limit and want to change to the Mirena. I have been told though that the Mirena lessens pain and doesn't make periods any heavier. Please let me know what your experiences have been; side effects, etc. I really appreciate your help as I want to get this sorted quickly, I'm sick of the pain and the massive towels I need to use. Thanks a million.

My Periods also stopped and I know of at least 4 other women who have had this happen and of 2 other's who have had their period reduced considerably.

Xiney wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long after your 25th you get the letter?

5 years. /not joking

Hi

There used to be a thread like this on here with accounts of people getting breast lumps checked, maybe this thread is the appropriate one now?

Anyways I just thought I'd post a quick account of my experience, for the benefit of anybody who is worried / nervous of going to the doctor.

Found a small lump , quite distinct and hard. Obviously Iwas immediately worried, but not too much - it was red and a bit sore on the surface so I thought it might just be a wierd pimple or something. Left it a few days - redness went down but the lump stayed so I thought I should do something about it.

Made an appointment with the doctor, saw her about a week later. I'd never met her before (I don't tend to be going to the doctor often so don'tt have a regular GP) - she was professional but kind and got to the point - had a look and she wasn't too worried (thought it was a sebaceous cyst) but referred me to the breast clinic anyway to be sure. There's a specific referral form for the breast clinics around the country, and the GP can choose what level of urgency the referral is (depending on sympotoms / history / age). I'm young (27) so she put me in the medium term referral category (6 weeks to wait for an appointment).

Got an appointment letter two days later for 4 weeks after that - I was impressed how quick that was. Went down to Vincent's (in Dublin) on the day - wasn't waiting long to be seen at all, and another kind and friendly but straightforward consultant. Luckily, she wasn't at all worried by it and sent me on my way with advice to keep checking etc, but she didn't dismiss me at all and listened carefully to anything I said.

Obviously I was lucky in that it was nothing sinister, but my point in writing this post was more to assure people that the system was very accessible and straightforward - the GP / referral / appointment letter / consultant chain was efficient and quick, and nothing scary / embarrasing / intimidating etc.

So if you / your mother / sister / aunt / friend etc etc are putting off getting a lump checked - don't - it's an awful lot easier to get it checked than avoid it and keep worrying.

Hi Ladies.

Was on before asking a bit of advice. Just thought i would give you an update and possibly ask another couple of questions.

Was on Cerazette. I have to say it has been a disaster for me. I have been bleading constantly. Got very moody and to the upset of both myself and my other half my appitite for sex just totally went...

I am now transfering to yaz. I am to go straight onto it. I wondered if i coulf have opinions on yaz

Do you put on weight.

Do you get achne

Do you bleed much

Does it affect your sexual appitite...

Any information appreciated...I have been on cerazette now 6 months dont want to go through another 6 months of crap...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I just came off yaz, did not like it, made me incredibly irregular (the entire reason I went on it was to regulate things), but everyone reacts differently so you can't really judge too well by other people's experiences.

It didn't make me horrifically sick, fat or anything, but it annoyed the life out of me.

Advertisement