Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Has anyone used re-usable cloth sanitary towels?

I'm a little grossed out by them, but I think I'm going to give them a go. My skin reacts really badly to the plasticy disposables ones and it doesn't seem to matter what brand I try. Tampons (for some reason) give me really bad headaches and I've tried the mooncup but it just isn't for me.

If you've used them, how many pads did you have to buy to make sure you had enough to get through each month without running out? How was cleaning and washing them? Did you find your skin had any reaction to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Have you tried the new always infinity pads? I used to without fail get thrush and rashes from any pad but these new ones seem to do the job.

I haven't tried the disposable ones though - I've seen some nice ones (if that's possible?) online. I would just have the almighty fear of leaking.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Have you tried the new always infinity pads? I used to without fail get thrush and rashes from any pad but these new ones seem to do the job.

I haven't tried the disposable ones though - I've seen some nice ones (if that's possible?) online. I would just have the almighty fear of leaking.

I must actually give those infinity ones a go. I've avoided them so far because Always was the worst brand for bringing me out in rashes but sure nothing ventured!

Yeah, some of the reusable ones are quite pretty, which is a weird thing to say. Plus they're more environmentally friendly, so if the infinity ones don't work out I'll probably give them a go. I know they're cheaper in the long run, but the initial outlay is dear enough which is why I'm hoping someone else has used them and can share their experience.

I've read stories online of people who say they are the way to go...

But in all seriousness, give the infinity ones a go. They don't feel plasticky at all, they don't have that vile "perfumed" scent, they feel almost cotton-y, and they don't feel like a pad. To the extent that I sometimes forget I'm wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey Girls,

First off not looking for medical advice - know its not allowed and am seeing a gp. Secondly this may be TMI for some people...

But I wanted to know how other people deal with extraordinarily heavy periods, inc. clotting? I am on implanon to help them, but still feel like crap. Newly married and don't have any sex drive. Light and constant is fine and manageable but the last few weeks have been nasty, physical intimacy is impossible. Trying to live life but having to be beside a bathroom every 45 minutes is limiting most of my social life and really making work difficult. I've gotten used to sleeping with a towel under me and carrying spare tights etc. in a handbag.

I'm only mid-late twenties and am so fed up of it. The medical bit seems to be taking for ever to investigate. Does anyone have any practical tips? How do you manage? How do you make your partners understand? MY OH has the patience of a saint but this is now week 3 of me being crazy heavy and I know he's frustrated.

I'm embarrassed and sore and fed up. Feel like I'm missing out on a lot. This isn't one week a month, its 10days plus and the fear - as i'm irregular - is constant.

Any lifestyle tips? Or partner management tips? Feeling lonely and isolated. Essentially I'd love support knowing other people have come through this. GRRRRRRRRR BODY!!!!!!

Summary: Seeking practical tips and support in managing v. heavy periods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

MOD

Hi fedupofit,

I have merged your thread with the existing thread for all things lady gardening

Lucy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

fedupofit wrote: »
    Hey Girls,

First off not looking for medical advice - know its not allowed and am seeing a gp. Secondly this may be TMI for some people...

But I wanted to know how other people deal with extraordinarily heavy periods, inc. clotting? I am on implanon to help them, but still feel like crap. Newly married and don't have any sex drive. Light and constant is fine and manageable but the last few weeks have been nasty, physical intimacy is impossible. Trying to live life but having to be beside a bathroom every 45 minutes is limiting most of my social life and really making work difficult. I've gotten used to sleeping with a towel under me and carrying spare tights etc. in a handbag.

I'm only mid-late twenties and am so fed up of it. The medical bit seems to be taking for ever to investigate. Does anyone have any practical tips? How do you manage? How do you make your partners understand? MY OH has the patience of a saint but this is now week 3 of me being crazy heavy and I know he's frustrated.

I'm embarrassed and sore and fed up. Feel like I'm missing out on a lot. This isn't one week a month, its 10days plus and the fear - as i'm irregular - is constant.

Any lifestyle tips? Or partner management tips? Feeling lonely and isolated. Essentially I'd love support knowing other people have come through this. GRRRRRRRRR BODY!!!!!!

firstly you are not alone im on day 21 of my period :( im very lucky to have a very understanding partner, cant praise him enough. i feel pretty miserable about it too sometimes. i didnt have mine for 4 years and they arrived back like this. i dont no what you use but i use tampons since they started back and dont have "accidents". sorry if thats too much info.

I used to get thrush from pads too, thankfully I have no problem using tampons now, but I wanted to give the reusable cotton pads a try. I'm not grossed out by blood or vaginal stuff. I imagine you can wash them easily if it doesn't freak you out - why should it? It's all natural and from your own body. I just never found pads comfortable. But it's more environmentally friendly in the long run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oh I so sympathise! That was me before I got the Mirena, except I was twenty years older than you. I can't imagine what it must be like for a young person.
    The bit I've bolded was the worst of it. The liver like blobs were only in the ha'penny place compared to the stress.
    I found the old style pads the best. None of your slim-line nonsense. They just don't cut it at all. Sometimes I used maternity pads.

Mine turned out to be fibroid related and once that was dealt with by Uterine Arterial Embolisation, I haven't looked back. If treatment such as that is ever suggested for you, feel free to PM me.

I hope you get it sorted soon. I genuinely understand how awful it is. Make sure your doctors know just how debilitating and life-affecting it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Fedupofit - I actually have no idea how you're remaining so calm. I wouldn't cope!

I don't have any practical tips but I just want to second what the previous poster said about making sure your doctor's know - in no uncertain terms - how much this is affecting your life and your relationship. I know for a fact that a lot of doctors still treat issues like this with the old "this is the card you've been dealt" attitude when there is actually so, so much that can be done to help. It takes determination and patience to figure out the right course of action in any particular case but just make sure you're getting the attention you deserve on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I tried the Infinity pads and hated them. For me they are just too fiddily. They stuck everywhere but where I wanted them to and the shape is blocky, not contoured. I used 3 of them, the rest went in the bin and they're not cheap.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hey Girls,

I'm so sorry this is happening, I hope the doctors resolve it soon for you. If you think of it this way, most women bleed for weeks after birth, and couples have to abstain, a lot of couples can take months to regain intimacy again. But thats a little different from being newly wed. :)

intimacy-wise, would you consider BJ for him? Or concentrate on non penetrative fun? Massage etc? lots of kissing and cuddling too keeps the intimacy-communication lines open.

At night, might I suggest if its very heavy flow, open up a small size baby nappy and lay it in well fitting underwear. The leg elastic helps contain more, and its absorbtion area is bigger at front and back so less chance of leaks that way too. I used maternity towels during my second miscarriage and they were a waste really - destroyed underwear with unpredictable flow, but using a newborn nappy on my third one kept everything contained, even at its heaviest.

im getting worried. IM 23 days into my period with no sign of it stopping. IM sore and sick and getting fed up. The gynaecologist said hes not treating me until i lose weight. I don't no what else to do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

PucaMama wrote: »
    im getting worried. IM 23 days into my period with no sign of it stopping. IM sore and sick and getting fed up. The gynaecologist said hes not treating me until i lose weight. I don't no what else to do about it.

Ask for a referral to a different gynaecologist?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

At a mimimum there are medications that can stop the bleeding. Your own doctor can prescribe them and I'd definitely be changing a gynae with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

What part of the country are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Has anyone gone through early menopause, if you don't mind me asking? I was supposed to have more blood tests last week but my GP was away. He told me to stop my pill for 3 months to get a more accurate estrogen level. I don't remember what it was last time but apparently it was very low.

The last period I had on the Cilest pill was very bad, with lots of flooding that came through the pad, and the front of my jeans, on the bus:o. I was wondering why people where staring at me while I was walking down the street:o:o Since stopping the pill the one I've just had lasted 1 day with light spotting the second day. The previous one lasted 1 day.

Looking back on the past couple of years I think I may have been going through menopause and thinking it was part of another long term illness I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Satine82

Vojera wrote: »
    Has anyone used re-usable cloth sanitary towels?

I'm a little grossed out by them, but I think I'm going to give them a go. My skin reacts really badly to the plasticy disposables ones and it doesn't seem to matter what brand I try. Tampons (for some reason) give me really bad headaches and I've tried the mooncup but it just isn't for me.

If you've used them, how many pads did you have to buy to make sure you had enough to get through each month without running out? How was cleaning and washing them? Did you find your skin had any reaction to them?

I took the plunge and ordered some. The initial outlay was dear enough (£81, so whatever that gets converted to in euro on my card) but I wanted to make sure I had enough to get through a cycle.

I'm not due for another two weeks so, assuming everything arrives on time (towels and period!), I'll report back in three or four weeks with how I got on.

Vojera wrote: »
    I took the plunge and ordered some. The initial outlay was dear enough (£81, so whatever that gets converted to in euro on my card) but I wanted to make sure I had enough to get through a cycle.

I'm not due for another two weeks so, assuming everything arrives on time (towels and period!), I'll report back in three or four weeks with how I got on.

Please do! I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

• Advertisement

JillyQ wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in?

im in dublin. currently on day 27 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

im in dublin. currently on day 27 :(

Pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Two questions about Yasminelle

Did it affect your mood? Makes me "slightly" psychotic

What happens if you start it on day one and only take it for twelve days? (pregnancy is not a concern, wondering more about timing of next period as its for exam purposes)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

MOD

Threads merged.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    MOD

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Did it affect your mood? Makes me "slightly" psychotic

It was fine for me for about the first year I was on it, but there was a major life upheaval for me about 2 months before I switched (moving country) and for that time I had a temper from hell. Calmed down an awful lot when I was switched to something else by my GP here (local NHS trust doesn't prescribe Yasmin/elle because of the blood clot risks).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pernilla

Hi everyone.

I came off the pill 3 years ago and developed acne. my doctor put me on tetralysal for that and i got the coil fitted. I didn't notice any immediate side effects.

I gave up smoking a year ago and naturally put on some weight as my appetitie increased.

I'm finding it really difficult to lose that weight now, despite going to bootcamp 3 times a week.

Also my ankles and feet are swelling and i have a pain in my left leg all the time, more like a dull ache like my leg is going to burst or something. its weird.

my doctor referred me to a nephrologist. I was told that there was extra protien in my urine alright and that could cause swelling but its not severe enough to do anything about, i was sent away with furosimide (water retention tablets) which don't really help.

I asked my doc if all this swelling has something to do with the coil. he reckons not, and i've gotten a second opinion but yet after a lot of googling, seeminingly swelling in hands and feet are a side effect.

I'm torn about getting the coil removed as of its not the problem then its a waste and its expensive to get it back in and it suits my lifestyle and i get no period but if i could determine if it is the problem then i would get it whipped out immediately as this swelling is so uncomfortable and my acne is getting me down and the fact i can't seem to lose weight

has anyone had similar experience or can offer any

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pernilla

Hi everyone.

I came off the pill 3 years ago and developed acne. a year later my doctor put me on tetralysal for that and i got the coil fitted. I didn't notice any immediate side effects.

I gave up smoking then and naturally put on some weight as my appetitie increased.

I'm finding it really difficult to lose that weight now, despite going to bootcamp 3 times a week.

Also my ankles and feet are swelling and i have a pain in my left leg all the time, more like a dull ache like my leg is going to burst or something. its weird.

my doctor referred me to a nephrologist. I was told that there was extra protien in my urine alright and that could cause swelling but its not severe enough to do anything about, i was sent away with furosimide (water retention tablets) which don't really help.

I asked my doc if all this swelling has something to do with the coil. he reckons not, and i've gotten a second opinion but yet after a lot of googling, seeminingly swelling in hands and feet are a side effect.

I'm torn about getting the coil removed as of its not the problem then its a waste and its expensive to get it back in and it suits my lifestyle and i get no period but if i could determine if it is the problem then i would get it whipped out immediately as this swelling is so uncomfortable and my acne is getting me down and the fact i can't seem to lose weight

has anyone had similar experience or can offer any

It was fine for me for about the first year I was on it, but there was a major life upheaval for me about 2 months before I switched (moving country) and for that time I had a temper from hell. Calmed down an awful lot when I was switched to something else by my GP here (local NHS trust doesn't prescribe Yasmin/elle because of the blood clot risks).

I'm a little the same insofar as I have exams soon and I dont know if its the exams or the pill thats making me mad! I keep crying and getting really angry. It will be funny to look back on I suppose :D Do you mind me asking what you switched to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm on Gedarel 20 now, which is a generic for Mercilon.

Advertisement