Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I just realised that I haven't had an irrational cry in an age... Since I've stopped taking the pill, actually. Skin is better, hair is better, way more emotionally stable. I literally just realised all this now. Planning to get the Mirena soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

A lot of things got better for me too when I stopped hormonal birth control, except my skin which is worse :( Anybody have any tips for spots on the chin and back? I never really had many before so not very knowledgeable in that skin care department!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm far more level-headed when I'm not on the pill; much less likely to burst into tears at the drop of a hat, or freak out over nothing. My skin is never great anyway, but I do tend to eat less when off the pill. Periods are still regular but last longer, with sorer boobs.

It's not a horrific pay-off to avoid babies though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Ladies, anyone experienced Depo Provera? I'm looking to get the Mirena but have to wait a few months before I'm allowed get it. Looking for something progesterone only as I'm bf-ing, but didn't take well to Cerazette previously, it made me very down and quite sore as well. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ladies, anyone experienced Depo Provera? I'm looking to get the Mirena but have to wait a few months before I'm allowed get it. Looking for something progesterone only as I'm bf-ing, but didn't take well to Cerazette previously, it made me very down and quite sore as well. Any ideas?

A friend had a.nightmare with Depo, bled constantly for 3 months. The problem is once you get it it's in your body. It's not like something you can take out or a pill you can stop taking if it doesn't agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I had only had one three month shot. Worst thing I ever did. I bled the whole time and I acted like a complete psycho on it too. Like the previous poster said, you're stuck with it until it wears off. I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I had a good experience with it in general, but found that sex could be a little painful. Also, first period when I came off was excruciating in terms of cramps.

Fellow mirena ladies- I have it almost a year and have had no probs at all. Periods have disappeared but it makes it hard to keep track of mood. I tend to get ovulation pain alright and this coincided with me being v emotional this last week. Now my boobs are really sore for the first time on it! I used to get this on my last week on Microlite, and also had it for the entire month on Yasminelle. Anyone else get this with mirena? I'm OK, and a little relieved that my mood may be related to this. I'm gonna keep track of all these symptoms for future moodiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

stinkle wrote: »
    Now my boobs are really sore for the first time on it! I used to get this on my last week on Microlite, and also had it for the entire month on Yasminelle. Anyone else get this with mirena?

I do a bit, I suspect it's partially due to going up in cup size a bit. Small price to pay for the lack of periods! :)

Side note: I've had the Mirena for a few years now, I reckon I've saved a packet from not having to buy tampons. Wish I'd put that money into a savings account each month! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

im now on day 33 :(

was reading about "dysfunctional uterine bleeding" has anyone here had experience with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZomB13 F1Sh

Hello ladies,

Just a quick question I thought would be best answered here. I was having sex tonight and the condom broke! However she just came off the pill yesterday to go on her 7 day break and get her period. I was wondering do people think were ok? I am going to call to the pharmacy and talk to them tomorrow about getting the morning after pill. But I'm just looking for advice, anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Unless things have changed substantially from my days on the pill 20+ years ago, there should be no problem. She is covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Eeden wrote: »
    Unless things have changed substantially from my days on the pill 20+ years ago, there should be no problem. She is covered.

It's 21 days on and a 7 day break for the combined oral contraceptive pill, during the 7 day break she should get a withdrawal bleed. If she has taken it correctly for 21 days, without vomiting or diarrhoea, it should be safe. That is assuming you're not worried about STIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

IFPA National Pregnancy helpline is 1850 49 50 51, when you ring a person who can answer your question will be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

MOD

Threads merged :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Well I'm on Cerazette two weeks now, and loving it!

I've had an aversion to birth control pills for about a decade. After trying out Microlite, Yasmin, Dianette and a couple of others over a couple of years, and having horrible side-effects with all of them, I swore I'd never try going on the pill again.

But, so far so good! I know I haven't been on it for long, but with the other pills, the side-effects kicked in within the first couple of days. I've had nothing, I feel exactly the same as I did before, no spots, no bleeding whatsoever, nothing!

Hopefully this will continue. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

PucaMama wrote: »
    im now on day 33 :(

was reading about "dysfunctional uterine bleeding" has anyone here had experience with it?

Yes. I could write a book.:rolleyes:
    Mine ended up to be caused by fibroids. I had uterine arterial embolisation (UAE) where they partially blocked the arteries feeding the largest fibroid and I haven't looked back since.

There is no need for you to be bleeding for that long. It will end up causing you other health issues. Ask your GP to prescribe something to stop the bleeding.

Feel free to PM me.

spurious wrote: »
    Yes. I could write a book.:rolleyes:
    Mine ended up to be caused by fibroids. I had uterine arterial embolisation (UAE) where they partially blocked the arteries feeding the largest fibroid and I haven't looked back since.

There is no need for you to be bleeding for that long. It will end up causing you other health issues. Ask your GP to prescribe something to stop the bleeding.

Feel free to PM me.

today it looks to be finally stopping. :o

Glad to hear that, PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey,

Just wanted to say thanks! Huge relief to read posts and know I wasn't alone and/or over exaggerating the hassle!

Re day 33. I've had to play around with a lot of doctors but finally found a really good one. Who believed me!! I wasn't told to 'wait it out' or that 'kids will solve it' or 'ah sure you're still young'!! But listened to, tested, prescribed and referred. Made a million miles worth of a difference!! Also, a doc taking it seriously helped my oh understand.

I'm only starting the processes of investigation - again - but hoping against hope that this time there'll be answers! Taking on board some the the suggestions about intimacy stuff and being less angry means at least I'm not pushing away hugs and kisses :)

Thanks ladies

Glad to hear that, PM.

i was wrong :(

• Advertisement

Ah crap :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Anybody else feel kinda hungover during their period? Ever since my periods came back after stopping the pill, they've been quite crampy and given me a dodgy tummy and a general crappy hungover feeling :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

That's crappy PM. I'm on day 8 and it's showing no signs of stopping and I'm cracking up. Can only imagine how you're feeling.

So ive made day 40. Wake up every morning with a headache and feeling sick. Dr google says brain tumour how helpfull!! I actually think its getting heavier again too. I suppose in on for a moan really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So ive made day 40. Wake up every morning with a headache and feeling sick. Dr google says brain tumour how helpfull!! I actually think its getting heavier again too. I suppose in on for a moan really.

Go to another GP and get them to prescribe something to stop the bleeding.

spurious wrote: »
    Go to another GP and get them to prescribe something to stop the bleeding.
    my gp said that because i carry extra weight medicine to stop the bleeding would be risky :(
    but in off to see another gynaecologist anyway see what they will do

my gp said that because i carry extra weight medicine to stop the bleeding would be risky :(
    but in off to see another gynaecologist anyway see what they will do

Sending you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hey what contraception would you recommend for a lady who:

Is nearly 35
    Is a smoker
    Is done having children
    Is squeamish
    Has a history of and takes quite a bit of medication for anxiety and depression
    Suffered with migraine on dianette pill
    Husband meant to get snip but keeps putting it off

Obviously I'm gonna discuss with gp just looking for ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Mini pill - no oestrogen, so fewer side effects. It is less effective than the combined oral contraceptive pill and can only be taken up to 3 hours late.

Mirena coil - you've had children so insertion should be straight forward.

To be honest, with a history of anxiety, depression and migraines I'd be more inclined to look for a referral for tubal ligation rather than hormonal methods. See a gynaecologist, they're more informed than GPs. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Mini pill - no oestrogen, so fewer side effects. It is less effective than the combined oral contraceptive pill and can only be taken up to 3 hours late.

Mirena coil - you've had children so insertion should be straight forward.

To be honest, with a history of anxiety, depression and migraines I'd be more inclined to look for a referral for tubal ligation rather than hormonal methods. See a gynaecologist, they're more informed than GPs. Good luck!

Yeah the tubal ligation sounds good but a bit severe.
    I should have mentioned I had problems with the coil so had that removed after a month.

Advertisement