Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Moved from H&F

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

lukesmom wrote: »
    Yeah the tubal ligation sounds good but a bit severe.
    I should have mentioned I had problems with the coil so had that removed after a month.

I don't know the details of the surgery, think it might be keyhole surgery. It's a permanent option though. I can't tolerate hormonal contraception, even the mini pill made me moody and irritable.

Condoms or abstinence are also alternatives!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hey what contraception would you recommend for a lady who:

Is nearly 35
    Is a smoker
    Is done having children
    Is squeamish
    Has a history of and takes quite a bit of medication for anxiety and depression
    Suffered with migraine on dianette pill
    Husband meant to get snip but keeps putting it off

Obviously I'm gonna discuss with gp just looking for ideas.

Mod

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Just a correction on what was said about the mini pill - there's one that has a limited window of 3 hours. There is another mini that has a much looser window, which is called Cerazette.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

spurious wrote: »
    Sending you a PM.
    finally got prescribed stuff called primolut today to stop the bleeding :o have to take it for 10 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Anybody else feel kinda hungover during their period? Ever since my periods came back after stopping the pill, they've been quite crampy and given me a dodgy tummy and a general crappy hungover feeling :(

The dodgy tummy is totally normal. Your body is sending signals to the muscles of your womb to contract, but it's not very good at sending them only there, so some of them end up telling parts of your digestive system to cramp as well, which is why a lot of women, myself included, have very upset tummies during their period.

As for the hungover feeling, I find myself a bit more sensitive to dehydration during my period, which sometimes feels a little like being hungover. You could try making sure you have plenty of fluids to see if that helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Went to doc today. Have been referred to gynaecologist for having my tubes tied. My doctor has told me I could be waiting at least 6 months and has prescribed the mini pill (cerzette) for me to take until then. I start it in 2 wks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Went to doc today. Have been referred to gynaecologist for having my tubes tied. My doctor has told me I could be waiting at least 6 months and has prescribed the mini pill (cerzette) for me to take until then. I start it in 2 wks.

I'll be very interested to hear how this goes, maybe you'd start a dedicated thread on it?

Currently sick with a UTI. Got to a doc ASAP when I felt it coming in, so not too bad now but last night was agony. My own fault, I've lapsed taking my cranberry tablets. Back on them now, guess I gotta stay on them for good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I enquired about the contraceptive implant today and I'll be getting it in in a few weeks.

I will be getting it done on the medical card

Does anyone else here have Implanon in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

The contraceptive implant is available on the medical card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Yep have had it for nearly three years. Its not too bad getting it put in, just a little gross I guess if you're any way squeamish, leaves your arm a little tender for a few days but nothing too bad.
    The women's health issues thread discusses all the different types of contraception so if you search that for implanon it might help.

Demonique wrote: »
    I enquired about the contraceptive implant today and I'll be getting it in in a few weeks.

I will be getting it done on the medical card

Does anyone else here have Implanon in?

MOD

Threads merged

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

PucaMama wrote: »
    finally got prescribed stuff called primolut today to stop the bleeding :o have to take it for 10 days

It should stop it. If it doesn't, the one I mentioned in my PM certainly will.
    I hope it works for you.

It should stop it. If it doesn't, the one I mentioned in my PM certainly will.
    I hope it works for you.
    thank you :o feeling different already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Well I'm on Cerazette two weeks now, and loving it!

I've had an aversion to birth control pills for about a decade. After trying out Microlite, Yasmin, Dianette and a couple of others over a couple of years, and having horrible side-effects with all of them, I swore I'd never try going on the pill again.

But, so far so good! I know I haven't been on it for long, but with the other pills, the side-effects kicked in within the first couple of days. I've had nothing, I feel exactly the same as I did before, no spots, no bleeding whatsoever, nothing!

Hopefully this will continue. :)

Yep, I definitely spoke too soon!

I've figured that the way Cerazette works is that you have constant bleeding, so you're never going to get any action - therefore, no chance of pregnancy! Clever, eh?

For the last ten days or so, I've had it ... not heavy enough to call a "period", not heavy enough for a tampon (switching between pads and pantyliners, it's so unpredictable), but definitely there, and definitely enough that it's really annoying.

Still no other symptoms. I'm a month in, I'm inclined to maybe keep taking it to the end of two months and see if it continues?

Would be interested in other women's experiences ... if this happens at the start, is it likely to continue? Should I just give up on it now and go back to the doctor? Or do you sometimes just bleed for the first month and then it stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Yep, I definitely spoke too soon!

I've figured that the way Cerazette works is that you have constant bleeding, so you're never going to get any action - therefore, no chance of pregnancy! Clever, eh?

For the last ten days or so, I've had it ... not heavy enough to call a "period", not heavy enough for a tampon (switching between pads and pantyliners, it's so unpredictable), but definitely there, and definitely enough that it's really annoying.

Still no other symptoms. I'm a month in, I'm inclined to maybe keep taking it to the end of two months and see if it continues?

Would be interested in other women's experiences ... if this happens at the start, is it likely to continue? Should I just give up on it now and go back to the doctor? Or do you sometimes just bleed for the first month and then it stops?

I'm 11 days into my second pack of cerazette. Had no symptoms for the whole first pack and thought "great, this will work for me".

Then 4 days into the second pack I was crippled with cramps. They disappeared after two days and then break out bleeding since. If I could even call it that. Its more like horrible discharge (brought me back to my early teen years just before my periods started)

I'm the same as you using pantyliners and pads. I'd rather just deal with a proper period for a few days compared to this....Hopefully it'll feck off over the weekend.

That's it exactly ... my periods are heavy, but I'd FAR rather a heavy painful one for one week, than constant painless bleeding!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I got this during my first pack, and then it went away and I had no periods at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Same here, the long lasting bleeding every now and again is irritating but meh. Rarely get any pain, and it suits me well in general. I'm kinda lucky I suppose, as I can't have the non mini pill.

I start cerazette on first day of period so in about a week. How soon are you protected???

• Advertisement

I start cerazette on first day of period so in about a week. How soon are you protected???

Straight away. If you miss the first day, you can still start it within the first week, however then you'd need to use another form of contraception for the next week. No need for any other contraception if you start on the first day of period.

Straight away. If you miss the first day, you can still start it within the first week, however then you'd need to use another form of contraception for the next week. No need for any other contraception if you start on the first day of period.

Yay thanks x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I posted a few weeks ago that I was going to give cloth menstrual pads/reusable sanitary towels a go and that I would post an update.

Mods, if this would be better split into its own thread feel free, or if you feel there are too many pictures I can make it into a blog post and link to it instead.
    • Buying the pads
    I bought my towels from Earthwise Girls but there are a lot of different suppliers out there. Why did I go with this site? Partly because it's UK-based so I knew postage wouldn't take too long, and partly because it just looks like a nice and friendly site.

There were a LOT of choices of different brands and different sizes and absorbencies which I found really confusing. There is also a huge variation in price. I read a tonne of blog posts about starting out in order to help me make the right choice. It's a hefty financial outlay so I wanted to make sure I did it right.

My period is usually quite heavy, so I decided not to bother with light absorbency pads or pantyliners. I also measured the Bodyform pads that I usually use and compared to the sizes available. As I said, there is a lot of variation. Also, they recommend that if you're plus size that you go for longer pads.

For my day pads I chose Charlie Banana super pads, which come in packs of three (handy) and with a little waterproof travel bag for about €15. This was at the cheaper end of the scale.
    467aca18-0820-4434-939c-b7c0a71cf718.jpg

For my night pads I chose Eco Femme night pads, which come in single packs and are about €8.
    f9666e1c-4124-4111-8931-8a2158881987.jpg

Delivery only took a few days and they even threw in a little pack of Love Hearts sweets, which brightened my day up considerably :D As recommended, I washed everything before use to ensure maximum absorbancy. I just put them in a normal wash with a tiny bit of Dettol laundry cleanser and no detergent.

As for the pads themselves, here is the absorbent (body) side of the Eco Femme Night and Charlie Banana Super:
    8df08dad-a135-483b-9243-ce36922fa92f.jpg

And the leak-proof (panty) side:
    dcff0db4-0987-4283-ae7a-23d393aaf3f0.jpg

The Charlie Banana ones also fold into neat little packages.
    ddc4031a-d4b2-4bc0-88b5-f87d10c1f3b2.jpg

The Eco Femme one is just sort of "normal" cloth at the surface and the Charlie Banana one is a sort of soft fleece-like material. Both have the surface layer, absorbent material inside and then a leak-proof backing. They both also have snap button fastener wings, but not all brands have wings, so be aware of that.
    • Wearing the pads
    My period arrived first thing on a Sunday, which gave me a chance to get used to using the pads. There isn't actually much to it. You pop them on, snap the button fasteners and away you go.

I found the Charlie Banana ones really comfortable. They were so soft and felt really nice when I was so sore and I forgot I was wearing them after a while. I found I had to change them about as often as I normally would with disposable pads. At the start of my period that is every three-four hours and at the end every eight hours or more. I tested the Charlie Banana ones a few times by touching the stained areas and they were dry to the touch so they did a good job of keeping moisture away from my skin compared the the plastic pads.

I was a bit more aware of the Eco Femme ones as they're larger and flared at the back to prevent leaks, but they were still a lot more comfortable than normal night pads. None of that annoying plasticky feel or rustling sounds when I moved. I wriggle a lot in my sleep and I had no issue with leaks. I often do leak with normal pads so I was delighted with this.

As the pads only have snap buttons there is the potential for them to move forward and backwards. I didn't have any major problems with this, I just checked them every time I went to the toilet, but then again I work in an office and don't move around that much. I'm not sure if this would cause an issue if you were into sports or running, etc. As I mentioned above, there are wingless pads available and I honestly wouldn't feel secure wearing them. There would be nothing to prevent movement. The buttons are a necessity imo!
    • Washing the pads
    While I was at home on a Sunday this wasn't an issue at all. I was able to rinse the pads straight away in cold water (hot water sets blood stains) and leave them to soak. A minimum soaking time of 30 minutes in cold water is recommended. If, like me, you aren't going to wash each pad as you take it off, it's recommended that you soak in cold water with a few drops of tea tree oil or white vinegar to prevent anything growing in there and change the water every 24 hours. I used Dettol laundry cleanser instead as I don't like the smell of vinegar and I had no tea tree oil. I did a wash every two days.

Once I went to work on Monday it became a little more complicated. Even though the Charlie Banana pads fold up neatly they're still bulkier than plastic pads so you might feel a bit conscious of having one in your pocket. I seem to have no pockets in any of my work trousers so I just put a pad in one of the waterproof bags that came with them and away I went.

Personally I would never rinse my pads out in a sink that other people use, so I followed what a few blogs said which was to run a tiny bit of tap water onto the pad just to wet it and then you can rinse it and soak it later. I found this fine and the waterproof bag from Charlie Banana kept any moisture away from the contents of my shoulder bag. However, there is only one toilet in my office with the sink inside the room. The suggestion for if there are cubicles with sinks outside (also applicable for out and about) is to have a small bottle of water in your bag and use that instead. It seems a bit fiddly but I'm sure you'd get into the habit.

All my pads came out squeaky clean afterwards (the pads in the photos above have been washed after one use and look as new). The Charlie Banana ones took just over 24 hours to dry and the Eco Femme ones took a good two days as they're thicker. This is something to bear in mind if you're hoping to wash, dry and reuse the pads in the same period cycle.

I bought 12 day pads and 4 night pads, which easily got me through my six-day period. I was able to use day pads at night time at the end and I never had any panic about running out. Obviously the amount you need depends on your flow and how often you wash them.
    • "Do-Gooderness" and money
    Supposedly these pads will last at least four years if cared for properly and each pad will stop hundreds of plastic pads being thrown into landfill over its lifetime. That can only be a good thing. This is similar to menstrual cups, which I tried but they just weren't for me.

I worked out that I will also save money in the long run (including postage it cost me €100 for the pads, so if I buy one pack of plastic pads a month at say €3 a pop I'll save around €50) but the initial outlay is not to be sniffed at. Also with deals on pads it may actually end up around the same price, so finances probably aren't a good reason to go this route.

The Charlie Banana pads say on their box (and website) that they support Operation Smile but the details beyond that are a a bit scarce. There's no indication if it's a percentage of profit or a donation for every purchase, etc. That's the sort of information I would like to know and I intend contacting them in the future.
    96a2cde4-70dd-4d3e-bfac-a01c1f787381.jpg

The Eco Femme pads are a totally different story. They started out as an initiative of an NGO in rural India focused on educating Tamil women about menstruation and other issues. The pads are made by women in their own self-help groups for a fair per-piece rate. They operate a "pad for pad" programme, whereby each pad you buy gives one to a woman who cannot afford to buy her own and the profits go back into education programmes. Their website has a lot of information about the work they do. You can't say fairer than that!
    bdb3050d-da88-47e7-9eff-a0d462034d16.jpg
    • Final thoughts
    You might recall from my initial post that I was having a lot of problems with disposable pads because my skin seemed really sensitive to them. I was itchy all the time and breaking out in spots and really only getting back to normal by the time my next period would roll around. I didn't find that tampons or menstrual cups suited me so this was my next plan of action.

On that front the pads have been very successful. They didn't make me feel sweaty or itchy at all and my skin (so far) finds them very agreeable. That alone makes them worth the purchase price for me. If you've had similar problems then I would definitely consider them.

I had no issues with leaks or odours or any of that. My only thing would be keeping an eye that the pad doesn't migrate if you're an active person.

Otherwise, I quite enjoyed using the pads. It sounds weird, but they were lovely and soft and very comfortable. Rinsing them out wasn't gross or anything and in a hippy sort of way made me pay a bit more attention to my cycle and accept it as just a normal thing that my body does.

Fingers crossed everything goes as smoothly next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Super interesting post, thanks so much for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AutumnLady

Hi,

I am a first-timer to this thread and not sure how it works. I have been on other threads where they are quick to shoot down anything that ressembles a request for medical advice.

I am just wondering if it is okay to come off the contraceptive pill mid-cycle? My relationship has ended, don't envisage being sexually active for a while and don't really want to be on the pill longer than I need to.

If it is a case that questions like this can't be answered here, does anyone have the contact details, preferably e-mail (or phone) of a recognised organisation that can answer these kind of questions for free. My google searches so far have just led me to places that require a fifty euro consultation fee, which essentially is the same as going to the doctor!

Many thanks in advance, ladies.

AutumnLady, your local pharmacist should be able to answer your questions accurately, and without charge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Anyone elses periods get worse (and worse) the older you get?
    20 years of menstruating and I still can't handle them.
    I remember the sex education talk at primary school telling us that we only lose a thimble full of blood during our period-has to be bull!
    Asked my GP about it and I was just dismissed.
    I'm not taking contraception, but think maybe I should just to make life easier for myself for the few days a month I'm affected.

so im on day 53 with no sign of stopping :mad: medication done nothing. Energy is gone. On the plus side got a treatment done on my hair today and founds its not as thin yet as i had thought. Big increase in nosebleeds tho :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

PucaMama wrote: »
    so im on day 53 with no sign of stopping :mad: medication done nothing. Energy is gone. On the plus side got a treatment done on my hair today and founds its not as thin yet as i had thought. Big increase in nosebleeds tho :(

You really need to change your doctor. That's outrageous.
    Ask them to consider the other medication I mentioned in my PM. You may need to pursue non-pharmaceutical methods at this stage.
    I can't believe any doctor let you go on that long.

• Advertisement

You really need to change your doctor. That's outrageous.
    Ask them to consider the other medication I mentioned in my PM. You may need to pursue non-pharmaceutical methods at this stage.
    I can't believe any doctor let you go on that long.
    its good to have someone that knows what its like :o and u have been a great help with the medication too

Advertisement