Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

That's it exactly ... my periods are heavy, but I'd FAR rather a heavy painful one for one week, than constant painless bleeding!

Chattastrophe how are you getting on with cerazette now?

I'm 21 days into a new pack and today is the first day in 2 weeks I can go pad, pantyliner free. Hopefully that will be the end of bleeding/spotting for a while.

Really do not what to see any sign of a period when I start the next pack and if I do I'll be back to the doctor to get moved to different pill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

spurious wrote: »
    You really need to change your doctor. That's outrageous.
    Ask them to consider the other medication I mentioned in my PM. You may need to pursue non-pharmaceutical methods at this stage.
    I can't believe any doctor let you go on that long.

+ 100

I can't deal with the thoughts of a doctor leaving you cope with that for so long. It's not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

+ 100

I can't deal with the thoughts of a doctor leaving you cope with that for so long. It's not fair.

+1

Would you consider (or is this even possible?) presenting at a&e? Aside from anything else it can't be healthy to lose so much blood - you run the risk of anaemia or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Does anyone know if your GP that you've your medical card with doesn't do implanon can you go to another GP with your card that does do it ?

My implanon due to be changed soon and my GP doesn't do it (got it done before I had a medical card) so I was wondering if it was possible to be "refered on " so to speak ?

As I definitely don't have the money this time around to fork out the cost of getting it removed and another fitted. It's suited me so perfectly also that I'd hate to have to revert back to taking the dreaded (in my experience) pill if I couldn't get one fitted with my card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

PucaMama, don't know if this helps as I know my situation was a little different to yours, when I first got my implanon inserted I bled for seven months, two or three days break here or there (which we made the most of :pac:), doctor was reluctant to prescribe any medication as she wanted the body to naturally adjust as it should after six months usually with the implanon. After seven months they stopped completely for about a year or two. But anyway, my point of posting was I know how you feel :o hopefully it settles soon. I think doctors are less worried if you've had signs of it getting lighter etc even just for a couple days, rather than non stop heaviness if that makes sense? Hopefully you're back to normal soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

wendydoll wrote: »
    Chattastrophe how are you getting on with cerazette now?

I'm 21 days into a new pack and today is the first day in 2 weeks I can go pad, pantyliner free. Hopefully that will be the end of bleeding/spotting for a while.

Really do not what to see any sign of a period when I start the next pack and if I do I'll be back to the doctor to get moved to different pill

It stopped a couple of days after that ... just onto my second pack now, no bleeding since. Haven't noticed any other side effects either.

However I have since heard of two people I know who got pregnant while taking it ... eeek!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Hi,

I have a problem with prolonged and heavy periods and my doctor has suggested having Mirena fitted. One of my concerns is weight gain/control. (I have Type 1 diabetes so weight control can be difficult when injecting insulin). The doctor said it shouldn't be an issue as it different to oral contraceptive. I've recently lost 1 and a half stone and I really don't want to waste all that hard work.

I realise everyone is different but what are people's general experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Tasden wrote: »
    PucaMama, don't know if this helps as I know my situation was a little different to yours, when I first got my implanon inserted I bled for seven months, two or three days break here or there (which we made the most of :pac:), doctor was reluctant to prescribe any medication as she wanted the body to naturally adjust as it should after six months usually with the implanon. After seven months they stopped completely for about a year or two. But anyway, my point of posting was I know how you feel :o hopefully it settles soon. I think doctors are less worried if you've had signs of it getting lighter etc even just for a couple days, rather than non stop heaviness if that makes sense? Hopefully you're back to normal soon.
    im on day 55 :/ most of my issues started a few years ago when i had implanon put in. but i did have pcos diagnosed before that. but it didnt cause such irritating problems. mine is light at the min, was heaviest in the middle of the first month. but it feels now like its getting heavier again. have a doctors appointment on wednesday so waiting for that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

So I decided to come off the pill because, well, I literally wasn't using it for anything. I'd to get a script renewed and the doctor asked me would I like one for the pill too and I said no and she gave me this pitying look :rolleyes: Annnnyway, I think my hair is falling out more (I've shockingly thin hair already so that's pretty distressing). Anyone have any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

So I decided to come off the pill because, well, I literally wasn't using it for anything. I'd to get a script renewed and the doctor asked me would I like one for the pill too and I said no and she gave me this pitying look :rolleyes: Annnnyway, I think my hair is falling out more (I've shockingly thin hair already so that's pretty distressing). Anyone have any experience of this?

MOD

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've never experienced hairloss after coming off the pill (that I remember noticing, at least). But my hair is falling out more than usual these days, for no discernible reason.

I'm probably talking rubbish, but I tend to have extra hair loss at certain times of the year, one of which is now. Your hair loss could be something different entirely, but perhaps it's just one of those things!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I've never experienced hairloss after coming off the pill (that I remember noticing, at least). But my hair is falling out more than usual these days, for no discernible reason.

I'm probably talking rubbish, but I tend to have extra hair loss at certain times of the year, one of which is now. Your hair loss could be something different entirely, but perhaps it's just one of those things!

I'm currently experiencing hair loss too. I noticed may / June and November / December I lose more hair.

Keep an eye on that. I started experiencing hairloss at 19, was told it's all normal, until I was 25 and people started going OMG there's something wrong with you! Started wearing wigs at 27 and am practically bald now at 33. Nothing I did to cause it and nothing I could have done to stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

It's odd, I've been taking Evening Primrose Capsules for about a month or so now and the first period I have will taken them, the cramps are more painful then they have been in ages, I only noticed how good my PMS has been now for the last while! Did anyone else have this experience? It's weird that they would aggravate symptoms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

argh my period is late due to stress and now I'm stressed because my period is late (I did a tests so i'm not pregnant)
    does this happen to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

lil'bug wrote: »
    argh my period is late due to stress and now I'm stressed because my period is late (I did a tests so i'm not pregnant)

Always did before I started hormonal contraception, so annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I'm taking Vitamin C like crazy to try and speed up things!
    I have to go to my doctor soon I'm going to see about going on the pill, I've been researching it and I will have to go on a high oestrogen pill as I am epileptic I don't take a high amount of tegretol but it does interfere with the pill

Keep an eye on that. I started experiencing hairloss at 19, was told it's all normal, until I was 25 and people started going OMG there's something wrong with you! Started wearing wigs at 27 and am practically bald now at 33. Nothing I did to cause it and nothing I could have done to stop it.

My god that's terrifying, I didn't realise that could happen to women :o

I don't think my hair loss is anything to worry about, it's been worse than this in the past (due to other factors) but my hair itself isn't noticeably thinner. If it was I'd definitely be getting it looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm set to get the Mirena fitted next week - anyone got experience of this? Does it hurt much? Any terrible side effects?
    I've had to wait 3 months after having baby but currently on Cerazette, however paranoid about the pill because I was taking it when I got pregnant...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm set to get the Mirena fitted next week - anyone got experience of this? Does it hurt much? Any terrible side effects?
    I've had to wait 3 months after having baby but currently on Cerazette, however paranoid about the pill because I was taking it when I got pregnant...

It hurt - probably a bit more for me as I had not had a child. It was like a stabbing pain, but it lasted literally seconds. I had quite bad cramps almost immediately afterwards, but then again, they stopped after about four hours.

Would have had no issue getting a second one, but then they discovered large fibroids and a whole other adventure began...

Admittedly some people report very bad pain. I suppose people have different thresholds, plus I think it helps if you get a doc who is used to inserting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Only side effect I can report is my periods stopping and having a few more hairs under my chin cos I have a naturally high testosterone. I've had 3 fitted and each time it was like a really sore painful pinch when it was fitted, I had spotting and cramps for 2/3 hours afterwards and then I was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

lil'bug wrote: »

Yes, I'm constantly stressed about getting my period. I've had two long (over 7 days) periods in the last 5 months and I can't help stressing over it. I've a scan in august to rule out cysts/growths! Once I know (and hope) everything is ok, I'll be going on the pill to regulate them

Just wondering if it's possible to get a 'milder' pill? As in one that has fewer side effects/hormones than a regular combined pill? I'm happy to be on the pill, I'm on Yasmin at the moment, but I think I'd prefer something that affects me less but keeps me unfertilised :pac:

I hope that makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

loubian wrote: »
    Yes, I'm constantly stressed about getting my period. I've had two long (over 7 days) periods in the last 5 months and I can't help stressing over it. I've a scan in august to rule out cysts/growths! Once I know (and hope) everything is ok, I'll be going on the pill to regulate them

mine is 5 days late, and it decided to come today, day before l go to get waxed (now l have to cancel) & my bf is coming down for the weekend:mad::mad::mad:

mother nature your some cow....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Just wondering if it's possible to get a 'milder' pill? As in one that has fewer side effects/hormones than a regular combined pill? I'm happy to be on the pill, I'm on Yasmin at the moment, but I think I'd prefer something that affects me less but keeps me unfertilised :pac:

I hope that makes sense!

I think microlite is lighter?? I don't really know

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yasminelle has a lower amount of oestrogen than Yasmin, but uses the same chemicals.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think microlite is lighter?? I don't really know

Actually I think I've heard that before, thanks! I'll mention it to the GP when my prescription runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

I hope that makes sense!
    I'm on microlite have been for 3 years or more, its very low dosage been in relationship for nearly 2 years and have never had any problem with it and have not suffered from any major side effects on it.

Princessxx wrote: »
    I'm on microlite have been for 3 years or more, its very low dosage been in relationship for nearly 2 years and have never had any problem with it and have not suffered from any major side effects on it.

Sounds great, exactly what I need. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Yeah I found Microlite great too. :)

Advertisement