Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brunette28

sullivlo wrote: »
    Because you were quoting a link :)

Ask for late appt or Saturday morning?

Ah, I see. Well that was embaressing. Thanks for all the info. Thought never occurred to me to ask for a weekend appointment. Feeling slightly silly now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

brunette28 wrote: »
    Ah, I see. Well that was embaressing. Thanks for all the info. Thought never occurred to me to ask for a weekend appointment. Feeling slightly silly now

Nah, it's Sunday brain. We all get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

@brunette28 I would also recommend having Mirena fitted at the Well Woman Clinic. They're doing it all the time there, unlike a typical GP.

You'll definitely need two visits - one to have a chat with the doctor (they may or may not do an examination) and for the doctor to provide you with a prescription. If you have the Drug Payment Scheme card, then you won't have to pay more than €120 (I think - that number may have changed as it was a few years ago when I got mine). The prescription is for
    - the Mirena itself
    - some drugs to insert before the procedure to loosen up the cervix
    - good strong painkillers!
    - I asked my doctor to also prescribe some Valium or the like to help me relax during the fitting.

The second visit then is the fitting itself. You'll need a pal/himself/family member to come with you as the cramping can be pretty bad. Nothing horrific, but they do prefer if you can be accompanied on the day.

That's my experience anyway! Oh, and no periods bar one bleed about a month after the fitting :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There may be a very quick third visit six weeks after insertion just to check everything is still in place. My doctor managed that himself, though he referred me to a Finglas based doctor for insertion.

This guy is very used to inserting them - judging by the number of women in the waiting room with Mirena shaped packages he was doing a good few of them the day I was there. If you would like him name, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

spurious wrote: »
    There may be a very quick third visit six weeks after insertion just to check everything is still in place. My doctor managed that himself, though he referred me to a Finglas based doctor for insertion.

This guy is very used to inserting them - judging by the number of women in the waiting room with Mirena shaped packages he was doing a good few of them the day I was there. If you would like him name, PM me.

Yep, I forgot about the check up visit some weeks later! If I remember correctly they might trim the threads hanging down at that point. Am open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, I just wanted to ask if anyone knows this - I know you can get something to stop a period, e.g. if you are going on holidays and don't want to have it then. But when is it taken? Before you ovulate or closer to the expected time of your period?

I've never used it, haven't a clue what it's called but just realised today I will be getting mine a few days before the end of my holiday :(

(at least slight cramping during ovulation was good for something :rolleyes: - reminded me to check dates this morning)

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I've heard of people taking packs of their usual pill without a weeks break to stop their period ... never heard of anything you could take specifically to skip a period though!

If you're on the pill anyways, you could skip the week off - not recommended on a regular basis, but I've been told by a doctor in the past that it's fine too do it as a once-off. (Obviously you'd be best to check this with your own doctor, or maybe ask a pharmacist.)

Otherwise I'd be very hesitant to take anything to delay a period. I'd be afraid that the potential side-effects of messing with your hormones like that would outweigh the benefits! Wouldn't be worth the risk, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

There is a pill. You take it 3 times a day from the day you are meant to start your period. I didn't have side effects and would be quite sensitive to hormones. You have to get it from the doctor. Enjoy your hols!

I'm due my period on Saturday and I fly out on Sunday. I'm undecided whether or not to just let nature happen, or try to delay it.

Sucks being female sometimes :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Both me and my wife took it last year as we were due our periods the week of our civil partnership. It's a progesterone-only pill and you take it three days before your cycle would normally start and then keep taking it until you're ready for your period to arrive. It worked perfectly for both of us and we had no side-effects while taking it.

Unfortunately both of us paid for it when our periods did arrive. We both experienced extreme pain, unusually heavy flow and a lot of clotting and were essentially bedridden for the first two days. Obviously it's different for everyone but the experience would put me off doing it again, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 emma louise kelly

Hi. I was just wondering did anyone else get flu like symptoms using the depo shot? I had it injected for the first time on Monday the 11th of August so it has been 6 days since i had it. Im having terrible back pain and im cold all the time and i have bad headaches. Any information would be appreciated.

Hi. I was just wondering did anyone else get flu like symptoms using the depo shot? I had it injected for the first time on Monday the 11th of August so it has been 6 days since i had it. Im having terrible back pain and im cold all the time and i have bad headaches. Any information would be appreciated.

You're best off to go to your doctor - what's normal for one could be not in another. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Not looking for med advice here, just wondering if anyone suffers from ovary pain? Ever since I came off the pill and went on mirena 6 months later I've had it but it was awful earlier. Always same side too. Mirena means I don't get periods so I've no way of knowing if its cycle a specific.

I'll be asking my doctor about it asap anyway, just curious is it common to always be same side and how to relieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

stinkle wrote: »
    Not looking for med advice here, just wondering if anyone suffers from ovary pain? Ever since I came off the pill and went on mirena 6 months later I've had it but it was awful earlier. Always same side too. Mirena means I don't get periods so I've no way of knowing if its cycle a specific.

I'll be asking my doctor about it asap anyway, just curious is it common to always be same side and how to relieve it.

Get your gp to refer you for an ultra sound it could be a cyst or a touch of endo

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Aisling09

Hi, i was referred by my GP to the Galway breast clinic. I have no medical card or private health insurance. Will there be any costs involved? I am 38 if that makes a difference ( i know that breast check is available to over 50). Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

No there won't be a charge.

Just wondering has anyone here ever used the Jaydess coil? Any good, bad or indifferent experiences with it? Im due to have it fitted next month and finding it hard to locate any information on the web that doesn't come from either the US or England. Its slightly different to the Minera but for all intents and purpose does the same thing. Thanks in advance.

Ovulation pain. Discuss.

I mentioned this to my GP in passing, so I'm not seeking medical advice. Just experiences I guess. Note: I will talk to her in more detail again - just ran out of time.

I don't normally get ovulation pains. If I do, it's a short, stabby pain on one side or the other, and it passes within 30 mins. This month though is a different kettle of fish. Crampy pain, back ache, boobs tender as anything. Started on Monday (which was ovulation day according to my app :pac: ) but hasn't really calmed. GP said it was normal enough for it to last 24-48 hours. It's now been 96 hours :( It feels like a period without bleeding.

Anyone any suggestions on how I can get a good nights sleep without being in pain from tender boobs whenever I move?!

Note: not pregnant!

Ovulation pain. Discuss.

I mentioned this to my GP in passing, so I'm not seeking medical advice. Just experiences I guess. Note: I will talk to her in more detail again - just ran out of time.

I don't normally get ovulation pains. If I do, it's a short, stabby pain on one side or the other, and it passes within 30 mins. This month though is a different kettle of fish. Crampy pain, back ache, boobs tender as anything. Started on Monday (which was ovulation day according to my app :pac: ) but hasn't really calmed. GP said it was normal enough for it to last 24-48 hours. It's now been 96 hours :( It feels like a period without bleeding.

Anyone any suggestions on how I can get a good nights sleep without being in pain from tender boobs whenever I move?!

I find taking evening primrose oil can help with tender boobs. It has other benefits aswell re hair and skin I find. But that's only my own personal experience. I know whats right for one may not work for another.

Ovulation pain. Discuss.

I was v bad in august! No advice unfortunately, I was working during the worst of it and had to suffer thru. It'll be 4 weeks soon and I'm interested as to whether itll be agony again. Went to gp like you, no issues, not preggers.just annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Ovulation pain. Discuss.

Think I'm having something similar lately. Just having this pain on both of my sides for a week or so

I'm not sure tbh. I know travelling can mess up your cycle so I'll see how I get on this month. Had a ridiculously short period too so probably just paying for that now...

JillyQ I had a lap a few years ago that was clear. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I'm not sure tbh. I know travelling can mess up your cycle so I'll see how I get on this month. Had a ridiculously short period too so probably just paying for that now...

JillyQ I had a lap a few years ago that was clear. Hmmm.

I have had a few of them done to get rid of the endo. I still get it checked.

JillyQ wrote: »
    I have had a few of them done to get rid of the endo. I still get it checked.

I'm gonna go back to my doctor if it doesn't stop. It feels like something isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Went to get my pill at the pharmacy yesterday. Lady working there informs me that it would only cost €32 to buy my 6 month prescription at once :eek: It normally costs me between €9 and €11 per month. That's pretty much half price! I knew there was a dispensing fee, but didn't think buying in bulk would save me that much.

I'm probably the only one here now that usually buys 1 month at a time :o But if any of ye don't know how much it could be saving you...now you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Went to get my pill at the pharmacy yesterday. Lady working there informs me that it would only cost €32 to buy my 6 month prescription at once :eek: It normally costs me between €9 and €11 per month. That's pretty much half price! I knew there was a dispensing fee, but didn't think buying in bulk would save me that much.

I'm probably the only one here now that usually buys 1 month at a time :o But if any of ye don't know how much it could be saving you...now you do.

I was buying month on month up until recently aswel. Couldn't believe how much cheaper it was to buy the 6months.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I didn't know you could get more than one month at a time! Mine is about 8 euro per month. Does it work out a lot cheaper??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I'm almost at the end of my first month of microlite but I've noticed my leg has started swelling again :( really don't want to have to stop microlite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I didn't know you could get more than one month at a time! Mine is about 8 euro per month. Does it work out a lot cheaper??

When I lived in Ireland I'd get 3 months' worth of Ovranette for €7-8, a few cents cheaper paying it privately than using my medical card. It is the cheapest pill around though.

• Advertisement

Just went for my smear test there, was putting it off for a while. It was completely grand, I was nervy cos had to go to a new practise but was only mildly uncomfortable and seriously took no time at all.

Nurse said if all is ok I'll get a letter in 4 weeks. I recall last time it arrived a bit sooner than expected. Anyone got any recent experience of this? I'm moving abroad soon so it'd be great to (hopefully) have the all-clear well in advance, or on the other hand have time to go for another if need be.

Advertisement