Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I have to get my boobs squished tomorrow for the first time (symptomatic check). I'm a 30FF and I'm terrified :( Any advice? I've already heard to up on nurofen beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Hope it wasn't too horrendous YumCha!

I'm going in for my initial consultation about an IUD. Really looking forward to (weirdly), I've wanted either a Mirena or a Jaydess for ages now. From my own research it seems like the perfect option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Hope it wasn't too horrendous YumCha!

I'm going in for my initial consultation about an IUD. Really looking forward to (weirdly), I've wanted either a Mirena or a Jaydess for ages now. From my own research it seems like the perfect option for me.
    Hi
    Just wanted to reply as I have an IUD myself.
    I got mine fitted in the Coombe and the doctor who done my fitting was absolutely lovely. The only mild discomfort I felt was when the sounding was happening, just before the IUD was inserted. Then before I knew it she was saying she was trimming the strings and that was it. All in all, a good experience and I would recommend an IUD to anyone. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

I am interested in the IUD myself, have you had any concerns about it? What is putting me off is the possibility of discomfort and the stringy thing is kinda weird LOL. Any advice

Hi Sasha
    No concerns at all, you can't even feel the stringy thing.
    I am the biggest wimp that ever walked the earth, and worried a lot about discomfort before hand, I can honestly say that when the time comes to do it again, I would have no hesitation whasoever.
    I don't know how much detail you would wan/we are aloud to give on here, but if you want, pm me and I will be more than happy to chat in as much or as little detail as you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

All set to get Mirena fitted in a couple of weeks! Well pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brunette28

All set to get Mirena fitted in a couple of weeks! Well pleased.

Best of luck with it iwantmydinner. I have mine nearly 6 weeks now and can honestly say that I love it. Though mine is called Jaydess(slightly smaller in size and lasts for 3 years). Would not hesitate in having another one placed in 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I had mine at the start of the summer and got the results way faster than I was expecting. I think I had it on a Friday and got the letter on the Monday week, so 10 days or so.

Got my cervical check letter today - 3 weeks and one day later. All clear thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭camoramo

YumCha wrote: »
    I have to get my boobs squished tomorrow for the first time (symptomatic check). I'm a 30FF and I'm terrified :( Any advice? I've already heard to up on nurofen beforehand!

Hope it went well. I had to get it done too , didn't hurt at all and only took a few minutes. I tried to go to my male doctor and he sent me to his wife , in hindsight it would be pretty weird otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As a bit of background, I'm femaie, 29, one nine-month-old baby. We know for sure that we want more children, but we haven't decided when we want to try for them.

I'm trying to work out what to do in the short-term for contraception. Both of us hate using condoms. No form of hormonal contraception I've ever tried has ever suited me, so my doctor has suggested getting the coil. I just have to wait until I get a period. I've been on the mini-pill for the past six months, until a couple of weeks ago, so haven't been getting periods. I should probably have waited until my periods settled back to normal after giving birth. Before getting pregnant, I had very regular 31/32 day cycles, so hopefully this will be the case again.

I've been thinking since that maybe it's a waste of money spending so much on the coil when we may end up deciding to try for another baby within the next couple of years. Also, I really hate messing with my body, and I'm concerned about the risk of it affecting my fertility.

I've heard that tracking your cycle is actually a pretty effective method of contraception if it's done right? I need to read up on it more, but as far as I know, it's done by taking your temperature daily and keeping an eye on your cervical mucus (I don't tend to really get any ...) also you can buy ovulation sticks.

My questions are, anyone have any experience of this? And how long does it usually take before you can start relying on it as a method of contraception?

Here's the pros and cons from my point of view:

Pros
    - It's free! Well not quite free - I'd have to buy ovulation sticks, anyone know how much these cost? I'm guessing you can buy cheap versions online? Also no more pricey doctors visits.
    - There is no chance of messing up my chances of conceiving in the future. Also, it'll allow my body to get back to normal (I was having loads of crappy side effects from the mini-pill.)
    - It would be good to get to know my cycle for whenever we do try to get pregnant again.

Cons
    - Obviously, increased risk of pregnancy. However, we'd cope with an unexpected pregnancy. I don't think I'd be happy to use this method if a pregnancy would be a disaster for us.
    - We may have to wait a while (several months?) until we can start relying on it. Also, it would be a bit of a downer having to avoid sex those days of the month ... almost like having two periods in a month! We are like irresponsible teenagers when it comes to contraception, so this may be difficult for us - but I'm sure we can learn to exercise self-control!!
    - It'll involve a certain amount of time and organisation ... not really a whole lot though? Just write down my temperature every morning (I have a digital thermometer so this'll only take a few seconds) and remembering to use the ovulation sticks (do you use these every single day?)

Any opinions/experiences welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I used to not use any form of contraception for 2 years. I had a couple of tense moments, but on the whole everything was grand! He had it down as to when to remove and it just worked for us. I never used any ovulation sticks, or measured my temperature, but I was fairly regular and knew when I was ovulating.

Now, I have no children, so I am not sure if it worked for us because one or both of us were infertile or it just worked.

I remember a nurse asking me what we used and when I told her she said that I was definitely going to get pregnant (I didn't though).

I am now on the mini pill and I love it. Thinking about getting the coil and the cost of the coil is not too high when you factor in doctors visits and prescriptions for the pill I think my doctor said you pay for it within the year of being on the pill.

If you can deal with an accident, if your husband can deal with removing to keep it extra safe and if you know your body, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I was woken up last night by a really intense burning in my left nipple/areola. It was so bad I had to get up and go and get the hydrocortizone cream :( It didn't really help though. Its still bad now, theres a red rash developing and the burning/itching is so intense! I think I'll give it a couple of days to see if it goes down then hit the docs.
    I've never had anything like this before and its just the left breast. I had very mild eczema for a short period when I was younger but that was on my elbow and didn't look or feel anything like this does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was woken up last night by a really intense burning in my left nipple/areola. It was so bad I had to get up and go and get the hydrocortizone cream :( It didn't really help though. Its still bad now, theres a red rash developing and the burning/itching is so intense! I think I'll give it a couple of days to see if it goes down then hit the docs.
    I've never had anything like this before and its just the left breast. I had very mild eczema for a short period when I was younger but that was on my elbow and didn't look or feel anything like this does.

Could you have been bitten by some sort of insect? I would go to the doc sooner rather than later to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

That was the first thing I thought of but after a good inspection I can't see any kind of bite mark. There's no bump or anything. Can't rule it out though.

The nipple itself is where the itching is coming from. Just touching it gently is very uncomfortable. The rash itself doesn't itch. The burning feels like it's coming from under the nipple and the areola.

So strange how it just appeared in the middle of the night.

If it's no better in the morning I'll make an appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone here has been on acne antibiotics recently (not Roaccutane), and can remember roughly how much their monthly prescription cost?

My skin is in the absolute horrors, new cystic spots popping up everyday, and I'm wondering if I can afford to do something about it internally, as no skincare I try seems to be helping.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lolyta

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone here has been on acne antibiotics recently (not Roaccutane), and can remember roughly how much their monthly prescription cost?

My skin is in the absolute horrors, new cystic spots popping up everyday, and I'm wondering if I can afford to do something about it internally, as no skincare I try seems to be helping.

Thanks!

Hiya
    I was on Tetralysal about 18 months ago for acne - as far as i can remember they weren't that expensive...
    My skin on my face and back had been going through a nightmare of a time for months so I was given that to take for 8 weeks or so. I was told that was the min time I had to take it and if needed they would extend the prescription but I got awful headaches on it so I stopped after the 8 weeks.
    However it did clear my back up completely - my face did start to break out again after a while but not to the same extremes.

Thanks for the reply, it'll be something to look into. If the prescription is maybe less than €20 I could stretch to it. God knows I need something!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, it'll be something to look into. If the prescription is maybe less than €20 I could stretch to it. God knows I need something!
    Hi, I'm on Tetralysal too. I bought it in the north where it was cheaper but I did price it here and I think it was a little less than €20 for 6 weeks. Like Lolyta said, you'd need to be on it for 8 weeks minimum.

But with regards to the price (for me anyway) it cost a lot more than that as I was at the doctor a number of times before they were prescribed. I was on two different antibiotics and prescription creams before the Tetralysal. She seemed to treat it as a last resort.

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Hi, I'm on Tetralysal too. I bought it in the north where it was cheaper but I did price it here and I think it was a little less than €20 for 6 weeks. Like Lolyta said, you'd need to be on it for 8 weeks minimum.

But with regards to the price (for me anyway) it cost a lot more than that as I was at the doctor a number of times before they were prescribed. I was on two different antibiotics and prescription creams before the Tetralysal. She seemed to treat it as a last resort.

Ah okay, that's not too bad. Yeah it's the extra costs like doctor visits and topical treatments that make it all add up, although luckily my college GP is half the price of a regular one. But still, I hope they don't insist on prescribing loads of other bits and pieces too.

I just want clear skin without paying a fortune for it :o

hi everyone

Not looking for medical advice here, just other's experiences

As i posted here, a little while ago i have the coil.
    Went back for a followup check in coombe a week or 2 ago, mentioned that my period cramps were unbearable so was prescribed something for them.
    I'm getting really really bad cramps at the moment in my lower back, around my ovaries sometimes, and even in my thighs. I'm nearly sure this is period pain, as I don't have this pain constantly by any means.
    Just wondering, as I've taken some of what i was prescribed a little while ago and it doesn't seem to be helping, is there anything else i can do?
    Please help as i really don't want to have to get it taken out.
    Does it settle after a few months? If so wouldn't mind waiting.
    P.S It's the copper coil I have, non hormonal, just in case makes any difference.
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I've a coil question too. Had it fitted 4 weeks ago on day one of my period. That period lasted longer than usual, about seven days. Had seven days all fine and had another period lasting 5 or 6 days. Another break of a week and another period started today.
    It's not spotting it's been a proper normal period each time. Nothing odd about it other than the frequency.

I'm feeling pretty run down. Anyone had this and did it settle?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

Hi Ash23,
    I had all sorts of spotting / period awkwardness in the first two months of having my coil (Mirena) in. I went from having no periods or spotting at all (from the pill) to spotting / bleeding in batches of 4-7 days with roughly a week between them. The spotting stopped altogether around the 7-8 week point, and I've had one period in each of the 2 months since then. I don't think you have anything to be worried about just yet!

The reason I came in here was to ask about a similar problem to afterglow - I have had a couple of the most amazingly painful cramps since I got this yoke put in. I understand that it's normal to get the odd bit of cramping some time after the coil is put in, but was wondering how long it can last. I've had it in for 4 months now and had one or two awful cramps last night, but no sign of a period yet and I am perfectly back to normal today. I'm just not sure if it's period pain or the coil still settling. If it had moved out of its proper position it would hurt constantly, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hoping someone can refresh my memory: I'm due to have a smear and I can't remember if you should book it 10 days from the start of your period or the last day of your period. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

10 days from the start of your period so that there isn't any blood present to taint the sample.

Does fluid retention happen with all pills or is it specifically combined pills?

Hi ladies
    I've a question that's slightly embarrassing...
    I'm relatively new to using tampons. I tried ta lax first but found that there was a bit of leakage onto my clothing even though when I removed the tampon it wouldn't have been fully used, if you follow. So I tried lilets brand. And the same thing can happen, though not as much. I now end up wearing a light pad as well as a tampon, which defeats the purpose of tampons. I'm wondering is it the brand, should I keep trying others, is it the absorbency, should I go up a level, or should I change more often?

Thanks for any advice and sorry if post is a little tmi!

Hi ladies
    I'm relatively new to using tampons. I tried ta lax first but found that there was a bit of leakage onto my clothing even though when I removed the tampon it wouldn't have been fully used, if you follow. So I tried lilets brand. And the same thing can happen, though not as much. I now end up wearing a light pad as well as a tampon, which defeats the purpose of tampons. I'm wondering is it the brand, should I keep trying others, is it the absorbency, should I go up a level, or should I change more often?

I'm no expert but it might be worth trying the next level up. I use the green tampax ones and find them pretty good, but I keep some of the yellow ones handy for the last few days of my period. Keep an eye on things during the day to make sure you're changing it regularly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Hi ladies

Try the next absorbancy level like the previous poster suggested. Also I use the tampax pearl ones, find they're better than the other brands or the regular tampax

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You might not be inserting it far enough. If it's too low in your vagina, there'll be room for leakage. Assuming you're using applicator tampons, insert the applicator as far as you can before pushing the tampon out of it. Wrong positioning is the most likely cause of leakage, especially if it's happening when the tampon isn't saturated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 strandedhere

I put myself back on the pill recently but I've noticed my hormones have gone crazy, im insecure, self conscious and overly emotional and thats not me at all. I have been making rash decisions and come very close to ending a good relationship I have at the moment over stupid little things just because I've had a mood swing.
    The only thing that has changed is me on the pill (I went on it as I was going away) so i have ended the pill and wondering how long till it is out of my system.

I'm on Dianette and I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Advertisement