Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Yaz is different fir every one as mentioned above!? It turned me in to a psychotic lunatic but my sister loves it... Try it and best of luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm on Yaz and it suits me down to the ground really. I've been on it 18 months now. I do find that while my periods only last about 3 days, I get another 3 days worth of light spotting afterwards that's irritating. I'm not sure if I put on weight or not. I did get fatter, but that was highly likely to be because I was eating more. I lost it all anyway, when I put my mind to it. No acne whatsoever, and my bleeding got lighter (but with spotting, like I said). It had no effect on my sex drive; that stayed as high as ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I am now transfering to yaz. I am to go straight onto it. I wondered if i coulf have opinions on yaz

Do you put on weight.

Do you get achne

Do you bleed much

Does it affect your sexual appitite...

Any information appreciated...I have been on cerazette now 6 months dont want to go through another 6 months of crap...

I was on yaz for about 4 years, my doctor asked me to come off contraception as it's bad to go for long stints on it. My boyfriend noticed a severe change in my moods. I would swing from high to low, angry biotch to moping and crying all the time. He was a bit relieved after I went off it!

I didn't put on any weight with yaz, but I asked my doctor about weight gain and his reply was "that if I eat like a horse and not get off your arse and do exercise you're gonna gain weight" I love my doctor he's so blunt! :D

I've never had a problem with acne so I can't tell you anything on that front, what I did notice that when I went off Yaz my hair has become quite dull and not as healthy as it once was, I don't know if that's a result of the new pill or what but I did like my shiney healthy hair!

Periods were about 3-4 days not really heavy but some months were heavier than others. And my sexual appetite was unaffected! ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Ive been on yasmin for the past five years and I'm considering switching to something else because I just cant handle the mood swings anymore and I've been on it so long, I was looking into getting the implant or injection, I have a medical card so being on the pill is grand because its all covered by that, is the injection or implant covered by medical does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ive been on yasmin for the past five years and I'm considering switching to something else because I just cant handle the mood swings anymore and I've been on it so long, I was looking into getting the implant or injection, I have a medical card so being on the pill is grand because its all covered by that, is the injection or implant covered by medical does anyone know?

I don't actually know, 'cause I don't have a medical card but I'd say if the Pill is, the implant would be too 'cause they're both contraceptives and why cover one and not the other?! If you do get the implant though, lemme know how ya get on 'cause I've been thinking about changing myself. :)

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    I don't actually know, 'cause I don't have a medical card but I'd say if the Pill is, the implant would be too 'cause they're both contraceptives and why cover one and not the other?! If you do get the implant though, lemme know how ya get on 'cause I've been thinking about changing myself. :)

yeah thats what I was thinking, gonna enquire anyway, wont be til march cause my supply of yasmin is up then! somthing ive been thinking about for a while so I think im just going to go for it even if I do have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

yeah its covered by the medical card, i have the implant 9 months now, just to bear in mind your gp might recommend you try the injection first for a while to see if suits you, the injection you get every 10-12 weeks
    hope that helps

I was on yaz for about 4 years, my doctor asked me to come off contraception as it's bad to go for long stints on it. My boyfriend noticed a severe change in my moods. I would swing from high to low, angry biotch to moping and crying all the time. He was a bit relieved after I went off it!

I didn't put on any weight with yaz, but I asked my doctor about weight gain and his reply was "that if I eat like a horse and not get off your arse and do exercise you're gonna gain weight" I love my doctor he's so blunt! :D

I've never had a problem with acne so I can't tell you anything on that front, what I did notice that when I went off Yaz my hair has become quite dull and not as healthy as it once was, I don't know if that's a result of the new pill or what but I did like my shiney healthy hair!

Periods were about 3-4 days not really heavy but some months were heavier than others. And my sexual appetite was unaffected! ;);)

NB: Yaz =/= Yasmin!!

Yaz is a different pill, it's just related to Yasmin. Yaz has only been available for 2 years at the most, and has 24 pills in a pack instead of 21.

yeah its covered by the medical card, i have the implant 9 months now, just to bear in mind your gp might recommend you try the injection first for a while to see if suits you, the injection you get every 10-12 weeks
    hope that helps

oh thats great, cheers for getting back to me, id rather be on either than the pill, just cant hack it anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

oh thats great, cheers for getting back to me, id rather be on either than the pill, just cant hack it anymore!

Both the implanon and injection are progestogen only, whereas Yasmin is combined (both estrogen and progestogen). So another option if the combined pill doesn't agree with you is that you could try a progestogen only pill (this is what I'm trying next!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you ladies.(as usual)

For the feed back on yaz. I have started it today. My other half was like a dog who brings the paper tonight. Trying to see if my desire comes back.

Me...I just want the bleeding i got from Cerazette to stop

I dont really mind the achne or the weight gain if its controlable...

anyway i will let you know if i have problems.

Just realising that i will finish first pack around christmas so better make sure i have more...

Going unregistered for obvious reasons. But i would like to know colour is normal for the normal discharge which women get when turned on?
    Its been awhile since i played with myself and noticed today it was white. Almost like semen. It used to be clear.
    Sorry it sounds gross but its been awhile.

I may be wrong, but I think it depends on where you are in your cycle.

Hiya,

I was just wondering if anyone here has experienced anything similar to me. I started on cezarette there two weeks ago(for the first time), I was told to take two daily (due to weight issue).

Anyway over the last week or so, I have been experiencing really bad headaches, nosebleeds and my face looks awful, I am literally covered in spots!!

I am a 22 year old female. I have been on other contraceptives over the past few years: Dianette, Microlite and the Nuvaring. I never really experienced anything quite like this. Like I would actually have to lie down when I would have a headache, it would be that bad.

Anyway, I the last few days I was thinking: (I know its a dangerous thing! :) ) I am seriously considering going on the mirena coil. I was told that it practically my only option except for the mini pill.

My Doctor was quite reluctant to suggest this to me, I know due to my age that some Doctors may not want to do it, but I am in a steady relationship and I feel as if it may be the best course of action for me!

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms while using this pill and has anyone any advice on the Mirena Coil or previous experience with it?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Hey

Just thought I'd throw this in here, as it seems the most appropriate place. I've just been to the doctor. I went before about something, but this time I had to have an examination. The problem that I have though means I kinda didn't care, and I was prepared for it so wasn't too bad.

I hoped up, because I have a cast on, she didn't ask that I take off my pants just had to slip them down. felt a bit odd being so exposed, but i think it kinda helped that the angle i was at I couldn't see myself, and she was talking away to me about something. so I felt reasonably ok about it. She had to take a swab, so she did that, and was done. She just said whenever you're ready... that was it. went back over to sit down again.

It's not like I've ever been examined before by a doctor, would've been horrendously nervous about it before, but now because of the problem I have I was ok with having to have it done. But it was fine. She was nice. she kept saying you're doing well, cause she must've realised how uncomfortable it must be.

I just wanted to write my experience in here so that some of ye might feel a bit better about it. If there isn't something wrong, but it's for a smear or something, you still should try be ok about it, and just do it. You wouldn't find a person more nervous about something like that than me, but I'd be just about completely ok to do it again for my smear.

:)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

amiaman wrote: »
    Going unregistered for obvious reasons. But i would like to know colour is normal for the normal discharge which women get when turned on?
    Its been awhile since i played with myself and noticed today it was white. Almost like semen. It used to be clear.
    Sorry it sounds gross but its been awhile.

its all normal :) its not gross at all, I cut and pasted this from a pregnancy forum:

hormone levels cause the changes in cervical mucous.
    There will be little or no cervical mucous present the first few days following your period. The vulva should be dry.

Early mucous begins just prior to ovulation. It is a thick mucous that is sticky and white or creamy in color. When subjected to finger testing, the mucous will break easily when you pull your fingers apart. As your cycle progresses, the cervical mucous will begin to look cloudy and will increase in volume tenfold. The cervical mucous will stretch further during the finger test, but will still break before your thumb and forefinger are stretched completely apart. There is a possibility that you could get pregnant at this point.

Highly fertile mucous occurs at ovulation. It is thin, stretchy and clear or pale white much like egg whites. It is often referred to as egg white mucous due to its resemblance. The volume of the mucous will continue to increase at this time until ovulation reaches its peak when the chances of conception are at their highest. It is the stretchiest mucous and can be stretched several centimeters between the thumb and forefinger before breaking.

Unlike the other stages of mucus, the egg white mucus at the time of ovulation provides an optimal environment for sperm. This slippery and stretchy mucus is much less dense than any other form of cervical mucus. This change allows sperm to pass through to the uterus much more easily. Also, sperm can live for two to three days in this type of mucus while waiting for a fertilized egg to arrive.

The changes in post-ovulation mucus and egg white mucus are drastic. The amount decreases and it becomes sticky. This mucus is not as stretchy as the previous mucus. The vulva becomes dry again.
    Other things to consider are if you are taking any medications including antihistamines and diuretics, the fertility drugs Clomid and Gonadoptropin, antibiotics, cough medicines, tranquilizers, antibiotics, and vitamins as they can also make interpreting cervical mucus difficult. Vaginal infections, sexually transmitted diseases, obesity, breastfeeding, and stopping birth control pills can change the nature of cervical mucus. If any of these factors are of concern to you, then you should schedule an appointment with your health care provider.

Don't know if this is the right place for this so please move if not...

Just curious to see if there is a cheaper way to get the pill prescription. I don't mean illegally! It's just that my doctor clinic costs 65euro a go. I know there are lots of place for 55 but it's still a lot for what it is. Everytime I go the doctor is like "how's the pill working out? lets check your blood pressure...there you go"- it's literally 2 minutes max. Someone mentioned to me family planning clinics are cheper but I looked up one or two and they were the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Don't know if this is the right place for this so please move if not...

Just curious to see if there is a cheaper way to get the pill prescription. I don't mean illegally! It's just that my doctor clinic costs 65euro a go. I know there are lots of place for 55 but it's still a lot for what it is. Everytime I go the doctor is like "how's the pill working out? lets check your blood pressure...there you go"- it's literally 2 minutes max. Someone mentioned to me family planning clinics are cheper but I looked up one or two and they were the same?

I used to do that as well. Now I just ring up and ask the receptionist for a repeat script. I get a 6 month prescription, so then I just have my blood pressure checked and that's it. No way would I be paying a doctor 60 odd euro to sign his/her name on my Pill prescription, no way. They might still charge you to see the nurse, but that's only 20-25 euro.

Hi all,

I posted here the other week re: cezarette issue and how it wasn't agreeing with me. Anyways I was back at the Doctor and was told to give it a three month trial. I said I would but by that time if I was still feeling the way I was then I would come off it. Thats all grand!

Anyway, I went into the chemist this evening and it turns out that cerazette is in short supply and I have only enough to do me five more days...Is this a regular occurance? I'm kind of wondering what I'm going to do now. I am going to ring the Docs on the morning, but as the Doc said to me, my options are limited for various reasons.

I'm just wondering now where i'm going to get it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Hi! Mod, hope this isn't too medical-related a topic and that I can ask this here if not I apologise! :o
    My OH is home unexpectedly for a day tomorrow and I haven't seen him in ages. Thing is it's my time of the month and I would really love to be with him tomorrow night. I'm on the pill so I'm wondering if I can start taking a new pack tomorrow (not meant to be taking it again until Sunday) or is this inadvisable? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Hi, I'm not anything medical, so please don't quote me on this. But from what I know of the pill, you can start taking it a bit earlier if say you want to change the days your period is due, and it'll be ok. But if you start it later than when you're meant to, that's when you wouldn't be safe to have sex.

Just to remember, starting your pill earlier won't stop your period, you'll probably still have it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Merging post into this thread. TBH it does sound a bit too close to the bone medical advice wise, but I'll leave it here for the mo. I'd say ring your GP or pharmacist

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

fifomania wrote: »
    Hi! Mod, hope this isn't too medical-related a topic and that I can ask this here if not I apologise! :o
    My OH is home unexpectedly for a day tomorrow and I haven't seen him in ages. Thing is it's my time of the month and I would really love to be with him tomorrow night. I'm on the pill so I'm wondering if I can start taking a new pack tomorrow (not meant to be taking it again until Sunday) or is this inadvisable? Thanks :)

There's no problem (in my experience) with taking it earlier than you're meant to but as the other girl said there you will more than likely not make any difference to your period, so I don't know that it's going to achieve the result you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Please dont listen to the advice that it is ok and do what Wibbs suggests and ring your pharmacist.
    Risking possible pregenancy on people's guesses from the interweb isn't safe:).

oh well I cant speak for anybody else but I was only speaking about it in terms of when she would get her period, as I thought that's what she was asking. I would never just rely on the pill for contraception anyway so I couldn't say whether or not it'd be safe OP, if this is what you were asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

ceraz12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I posted here the other week re: cezarette issue and how it wasn't agreeing with me. Anyways I was back at the Doctor and was told to give it a three month trial. I said I would but by that time if I was still feeling the way I was then I would come off it. Thats all grand!

Anyway, I went into the chemist this evening and it turns out that cerazette is in short supply and I have only enough to do me five more days...Is this a regular occurance? I'm kind of wondering what I'm going to do now. I am going to ring the Docs on the morning, but as the Doc said to me, my options are limited for various reasons.

I'm just wondering now where i'm going to get it??

only option is to try lots of pharmacies some would keep a larger stock then others, we would only ever keep 2-3 packs on the shelf at a time because we dont have many people taking it. dont know when it will be back again, afaik its a supply issue between the company and the wholesalers. dont think they expected it to be so popular so quickly

slightly icky q here

when turned on i get quite wet, which is great. but i can never really tell afterwards that himself has come.... i mean, obviously i know by his face, breathing, movements etc that he has, but i cant really tell the difference between his fluids and mine, if you get me. now, i dont for one second think that hes faking it, but i'm just wondering about if/when you feel it coming out. like, i've never been there and suddenly noticed a wet patch. he always gets me some tissues afterwards, but, tbh, i feel thats just my own fluid thats there.

its possible i'm thinking too much about this but am just curious and a little intrigued!

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would say ime that male ejaculate is more vicus/thick then female vaginal lubricant or even female ejaculate. 'The Ooze' which happens after sex if a couple don't use a condom can vary, some times it's only a small ammount other times it can be considerable. It can depending on if you shift position take a few moments to start or else it can be up to an hour before it gets moving. The vaginal is pretty much a cul de sac and what goes in will come out evenually.

It could be that his ejaculate is not that thick, it can vary. If you are really intrested you could always learn the feel of it on your hands or else where and then use that as a comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ClareBear90

Hey guys i have been on the pill for the last year and a half and have always used condoms as an extra protection do ye tink the pill is sufficient enough as a contriceptive if u are taking it consistently??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Hey guys i have been on the pill for the last year and a half and have always used condoms as an extra protection do ye tink the pill is sufficient enough as a contriceptive if u are taking it consistently??

If it's with the one person and used as it's meant to then I would be comfortable with just the pill but it's up to you...

Advertisement