Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

I get really bad ingrown hairs around the top of my pants line and along the tops of my inner thighs. They are so bad I always have to leave my pants on during sex as I don't want my boyfriend seeing them. I get waxed, they still come. I shave, still come. I leave it to go mad, and they still fecking come. Any suggestions how to treat or get rid?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I get really bad ingrown hairs around the top of my pants line and along the tops of my inner thighs. They are so bad I always have to leave my pants on during sex as I don't want my boyfriend seeing them. I get waxed, they still come. I shave, still come. I leave it to go mad, and they still fecking come. Any suggestions how to treat or get rid?

How do you leave your pants on and still manage sex? Waxing is better than shaving but try exfoliating about a week after waxing..dry body brushing or use those gloves you can get cheap in penneys in the shower..also I've recently started moisturising with E45 cream after I get out of shower (I get bad ingrown hairs and keratosis pilaris on my legs) and found it's definitely improved appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I put myself back on the pill recently but I've noticed my hormones have gone crazy, im insecure, self conscious and overly emotional and thats not me at all. I have been making rash decisions and come very close to ending a good relationship I have at the moment over stupid little things just because I've had a mood swing.
    The only thing that has changed is me on the pill (I went on it as I was going away) so i have ended the pill and wondering how long till it is out of my system.

I'm on Dianette and I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I had the exact same problem but on Yasminelle. Turned me into a loo laa. Ended up coming off it. I wonder if the ingredients are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭honey79

declan2693 wrote: »
    Ignore the username my bf account. Thinking of going on it. Just had one question in mind. It say take every day same time every 12 hours. Im a bit lost so do i take 2 tablets a day?. Example I wake up at 10 am take one then do I take another again at 10 Pm. Im just a bit lost and only answer if you use/used it and know what your talking about,

That's the one that sent me loopy so just watch your moods on it :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Moved from H&F

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭honey79

Hi im on ceretteze new on the market with about 2 years find it ok haven't put on any extra weight I've no periods bleed for 3 months in beginning and sometimes can bleed after sex don't Mind that but gives big mood swings and crying just wondering if its me or the pill.

I was on this caused me terrible mood swings took me a long time to realise what it was I came off it and just have normal female mood swings now:P

Not using anything at the moment because Im single but for me personally I would never take the pill again it just did not suit me , when the time comes I will have to think of other options

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hi :)

Just looking to hear other women's opinions on the types of birth control they have used.

I was on yasminelle for nearly 3 years, I was finding it very hard to lose weight. At the time I was told it was just "puppy fat" and I would grow out of it. I had put on a lot of weight in the 3 years. I wasn't in a relationship at the time so I stubbornly stop taking it to prove to my doctor it was the pill causing the weight loss difficulty. Anyway, in the end I lost over a stone in about 6 weeks from eating the exact same, doing one hr of intensive exercise a week which i had been doing before.
    The doctor then changed my pill which i only lasted a week on as I had severe mood swings. I haven't been on any form of birth control since then, thats about two years ago now.

I want to now find another form of birth control, preferably not the pill. Anyone any advice or opinions on the patch or the injection?

MOD

Hi,

I have merged your thread with the existing one in The Ladies Lounge.

Best of luck,

Lucy

• Registered Users Posts: 1 auntieperiod

Hey guys! I'm feeling a bit distressed at the moment! I was on cerazette for the last 12 months and my cycle was totally erratic the whole time! Finally, five days ago, i was so fed up of it, i stopped taking it! A two-week heavy period was on-going and i couldn't take it anymore! The last five days have been hell... The period has been very heavy with large clots and is showing no sign of letting up! How long before this period will leave me in a peace? Has anyone had a similar experience? Going through hell here and any advice would be appreciated! Xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Hey guys! I'm feeling a bit distressed at the moment! I was on cerazette for the last 12 months and my cycle was totally erratic the whole time! Finally, five days ago, i was so fed up of it, i stopped taking it! A two-week heavy period was on-going and i couldn't take it anymore! The last five days have been hell... The period has been very heavy with large clots and is showing no sign of letting up! How long before this period will leave me in a peace? Has anyone had a similar experience? Going through hell here and any advice would be appreciated! Xx

I have been on it for about 9 months. About 5 months ago it finally settled down but now it is back with a bang! I think when my crohns stops the pill being digested properly it causes the bleeding.

Anyway, I think that you will just have to wait it out. Obviously if it gets really bad then go to the doctor.

I was actually deciding to get the coil today after this two week period. Does anyone know if it is covered by the medical card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

shalalala wrote: »
    I have been on it for about 9 months. About 5 months ago it finally settled down but now it is back with a bang! I think when my crohns stops the pill being digested properly it causes the bleeding.

Anyway, I think that you will just have to wait it out. Obviously if it gets really bad then go to the doctor.

I was actually deciding to get the coil today after this two week period. Does anyone know if it is covered by the medical card?
    Not sure about the procedure, but the drugs payment scheme saved me a few quid when buying the Mirena andand drugs I had to take before insertion. The people in the pharmacy advised there, as I had no idea the scheme applied. In the long run though I wouldnt begrudge a cent of it, even in broke January!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Ladies just want to get some opinions.. I'm a pharmacist and would sell the morning after pill on a semi regular basis... My procedure would be to talk to the woman in private and run through the suitability/safety questions and give a few points of advice then they pay and off they go with the pack to take the tablet at their own convenience. Two different places I work in have different procedures - the other pharmacist goes through all the questions and gives advice etc then insists that they take the tablet there in front of them. To me that's quite demeaning and shows a real authoritarian, almost draconian, attitude towards the MAP. Am I over sensitive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Is it not to make sure its used by the intended person and not actually given to someone else who is too embarrassed and who hasn't been checked for suitability etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'm sure that is their reasoning however at what point do you stop treating people as adults? Someone could go to their GP and get a prescription for it for a friend too then when the pharmacist dispenses it they don't make the person show ID to say it's for them and make them swallow it in the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Tbh i think they're damned if they do and damned if they don't, so maybe they'd rather have a strict policy than risk leaving themselves open to criticism/complaints if it ends up in the wrong hands or whatever, although this is all just my assumptions- i haven't a clue of the facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Waxperts do wonder pads for ingrown hairs (their primary purpose but they are great for lots of other things too). You can get them online if there isn't a stockist near you. I highly recommend them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Ladies just want to get some opinions.. I'm a pharmacist and would sell the morning after pill on a semi regular basis... My procedure would be to talk to the woman in private and run through the suitability/safety questions and give a few points of advice then they pay and off they go with the pack to take the tablet at their own convenience. Two different places I work in have different procedures - the other pharmacist goes through all the questions and gives advice etc then insists that they take the tablet there in front of them. To me that's quite demeaning and shows a real authoritarian, almost draconian, attitude towards the MAP. Am I over sensitive?

Yeah I don't think it's appropriate to insist they take it in front of you. I offer a glass of water and ask would they like to take it immediately. 90% of women would say yes please but I've no issue with the other 10% taking it away. Is the pharmacist suspicious that people are lying to her and buying it for future use or another person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've gotten the MAP a couple of times over the years and I've never been told to take it in the shop. Pharmacists have no idea what people do with any kind of prescription medicines but people aren't instructed to take any other kind of medication there and then (as far as I'm aware).

What if the person in question refuses to take the MAP in front of the pharmacist? Are they refused it altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I'd be thinking of a scenario where a responsible woman is solely reliant on condoms for contraception, and who really doesn't want to get pregnant. If I were in that situation, I'd probably consider going to Boots or wherever and picking up a MAP to have in the house - just so that, if a condom broke at 3am on a Sunday morning, I'd have it there to take straight away rather than waiting for a pharmacy to open.

I know that it shouldn't be purchased that way - to potentially use at a later date - but I don't personally think there's anything wrong with a healthy responsible adult doing this. Obviously the woman would need to be aware that if she put in weight or had other health issues in the meantime, her suitability would need to be reassessed.

And if a woman really wanted to do this, she could always just go to any GP and get the prescription there instead, to be used in the same manner. So refusing to sell it unless the woman takes it in front of you won't eliminate women doing this (or even buying it for a friend, or anything else.)

It doesn't make sense to me - I mean, I assume if you were to sell the same tablet to a woman with a GP prescription, you wouldn't have to make her take it there and then?

I agree with you that it's quite demeaning. Have you mentioned to them that you don't have to do it in the other place you work? Maybe they think it's done that way everywhere?

Another problem is that, I believe it often makes many women nauseous. For that reason alone, a lot of women would probably rather wait to take it when they get home, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

By the way angeldelight (or any other pharmacists), I'm curious - would you advise women against taking the pill if they're at a time in their cycle when they're extremely unlikely to be able to get pregnant? (I know it's always possible, but it's very improbable at certain times.)

On the one hand, it's a bit crap to have a woman suffer the crappy side-effects of the MAP, and mess up their cycle, unnecessarily. On the other hand, if you advised against it, I wonder would the woman have a case against you if she ended up pregnant!!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I got it years ago so things might have changed, but there were two pills, to be taken a certain amount of time apart. Something like 12 hours. Doc advised me to get it and take at particular time (not immediately) to avoid having to take second one in the middle of the night. There could be a fine line between taking #1 right now, but forgetting/delaying/not waking up in time to take #2 vs delaying #1 until you can take both at correct intervals and deal with side effects.

• Advertisement

I have had the map a few times (probably more then I should have). Once I was asked to take it infront of the male pharmacist and I refused. I explained that when I take it it makes me very drowsy, moody and crampy and I had a long journey home and would prefer to go through that in private. He ended up letting me leave with it but it was a battle that didn't seem appropriate to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

By the way angeldelight (or any other pharmacists), I'm curious - would you advise women against taking the pill if they're at a time in their cycle when they're extremely unlikely to be able to get pregnant? (I know it's always possible, but it's very improbable at certain times.)

On the one hand, it's a bit crap to have a woman suffer the crappy side-effects of the MAP, and mess up their cycle, unnecessarily. On the other hand, if you advised against it, I wonder would the woman have a case against you if she ended up pregnant!!? :eek:

I just explain the fertility cycle briefly to show that the chances of them becoming pregnant at that time are minimal and that if they would like to save the €X that they are likely to be fine, but I never guarantee anything. I also tell them that I'm happy to supply it even though I don't think they strictly need it and that I can understand that they might still want it for peace of mind. 90% of women will choose to take it anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

When I took it the pharmacist said that I was likely safe without having to take it, but that that she couldn't make that decision for me. She gave me the facts and let me decide.

I took it at home as she advised me to take time reading the leaflet to be 100% aware of side effects etc and have something light to eat with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Angel, have the PSI got any guidance on this? I can't imagine that they would recommend this practise.

Just had the coil fitted. Omg this is seriously unrelenting pain!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

shalalala wrote: »
    Just had the coil fitted. Omg this is seriously unrelenting pain!

Is it the Mirena IUS? The pain should last no more than four hours and then it's gone.

spurious wrote: »
    Is it the Mirena IUS? The pain should last no more than four hours and then it's gone.

Nah the jaydess, not too bad today, just feel bruised and swollen

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

I'm worried sick right now so I'm hoping someone can help me out!

I got the results of my first smear test today and they have recommended I have another test in 6 months. I would like to talk to a doctor about my results. However, I went to a different doctor than my normal one for the smear test. Will more detailed results be sent to that doctor and therefore should I go talk to them instead?

The reason I'm particularly worried is because I experience pain during sex (TMI sorry) and have bled after sex a few times and I've recently realised that these could be symptoms of cervical cancer. I had always assumed it was something else. So now I'm worried.

Should I go to the doctor that carried out my test to discuss the results? Or my other doctor who knows my history of pain, bleeding etc?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Don't worry. don't be worried at all!
    it's fairly common for vests to come back with slight changes.
    what I mean by that is, its not a clear result.
    you could have a cold, the test could have been contaminated,
    it's normal to not have a normal test.
    don't worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

dia squish wrote: »
    I'm worried sick right now so I'm hoping someone can help me out!

I got the results of my first smear test today and they have recommended I have another test in 6 months. I would like to talk to a doctor about my results. However, I went to a different doctor than my normal one for the smear test. Will more detailed results be sent to that doctor and therefore should I go talk to them instead?

The reason I'm particularly worried is because I experience pain during sex (TMI sorry) and have bled after sex a few times and I've recently realised that these could be symptoms of cervical cancer. I had always assumed it was vaginismus. So now I'm worried.

Should I go to the doctor that carried out my test to discuss the results? Or my other doctor who knows my history of pain, bleeding etc?

Thanks.

MOD

Hi OP,

I've merged your thread with the existing womens health thread.

All the best,

Lucy.

Advertisement