Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭honey79

Hi dia squish,

First of all sorry to hear this I can totally understand your worry I had this over a course of a few years
    I had 2 abnormal smear then a normal then an abnormal and 2 normal since sorry I got the all clear

what the nurse told me is our healthcare is extra cautious with the readings which I think is good but said that it can cause people a lot of worry without cause , I did give up smoking during this time which they said would help but I'm not sure about that , I also bled and found sex painful but also put it down to other things

No harm in ringing your doctor to put your mind at ease but I do know no matter what people said I was still worried and not much I can probably say to make you feel better other then I've been there and was worried sick and everything turned out fine in the end for me

xxxx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

spurious wrote: »
    Is it the Mirena IUS? The pain should last no more than four hours and then it's gone.

I just had it fitted this morning, I genuinely didn't realise how painful it would be. Am glad to read it shouldn't last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Stheno wrote: »
    I just had it fitted this morning, I genuinely didn't realise how painful it would be. Am glad to read it shouldn't last

Honestly tomorrow it will feel like you had sex with something that can bruise your cervix. I only get cramping ib the evening now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The insertion is like stabbing, to be sure, but if it's in correctly, the wriggling of the uterus saying 'WTF is this?' should not go on past the first evening.

I remember the cramps as those really bad cramps you get when starting periods in the first place, but following the first evening, they were gone. I was also one of the lucky ones that the Mirena stopped periods altogether for. Hope it works out for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The insertion is like stabbing, to be sure, but if it's in correctly, the wriggling of the uterus saying 'WTF is this?' should not go on past the first evening.

I remember the cramps as those really bad cramps you get when starting periods in the first place, but following the first evening, they were gone. I was also one of the lucky ones that the Mirena stopped periods altogether for. Hope it works out for you.

Yeah you described it perfectly, I wasn't expecting it at all, but my doctor is great and gave me loads of time afterwards :) got me water, offered me a cup of tea, and a private room to sit down in if I needed to :) And gave me a prescription for ponstan for the pain. She does a scan after the insertion to check it, and she seemed happy with it (It's a gynae I go to for contraception so she's a full ultrasound in her office)

I guess it hurt more possibly as I've never had a child, I've also always found smears extremely painful, but a hot bath and a rest did a fair bit to ease it, I reckon some of it was the sheer shock of how painful it was.

First six hours were pretty bad, but it's calmed down since about eight o'clock and is just mildly crampy now.

Thanks again, much appreciated, I was wondering earlier if it was supposed to be as horrid :( Still for five years peace and quiet a few hours of pain is worth it :)
    Some people don't feel it apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

This is a bit of a novice question but...

I started on the pill a month ago and due to start my second month's pack soon.
    Can I change the time that I take it, or does it have to be the same time I took it the last month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

You mean the time of day? There should be no problem with that as long as you don't go changing it mid-pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Gottalovegreys

This is a bit of a novice question but...

I started on the pill a month ago and due to start my second month's pack soon.
    Can I change the time that I take it, or does it have to be the same time I took it the last month?

The time you take it matters depending on the type of pill: I know with the progesterone only pills (cerazette and noriday) as well as the combined one Qlaria, if you are more than 12 hours late taking them protection may be reduced. It should be pretty clear from the leaflet/insert in the box :)

36 hours later and I'm planning a day off work, I'm a contractor so I don't get paid.

I've a heavy dragging pain in my front and back, any exercise is hurting me, and I'm instinctively protecting my stomach.

I suspect given how bad I feel after smears that this is normal for me but am going to ring my doctor tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

36 hours later and I'm planning a day off work, I'm a contractor so I don't get paid.

I've a heavy dragging pain in my front and back, any exercise is hurting me, and I'm instinctively protecting my stomach.

I suspect given how bad I feel after smears that this is normal for me but am going to ring my doctor tomorrow.

No harm ring and double check. Did the doctor give you a prescription for pain relief?

• Advertisement

No harm ring and double check. Did the doctor give you a prescription for pain relief?

Yeah I've to go back in to see her, am on painkillers alright

Turns out I've had a rare and severe reaction to having it fitted, but it's in place and fine. Switching to it after almost ten solid years on depo didn't help

Checkups weekly for the next few weeks if the pain persists, along with an entire pharmacy of drugs to ease the side effects

Credit to my doctor, she did multiple scans tonight, took swabs for infection, and spent a lot of time today going through options, explaining the likely cause, and devising the right prescriptions I need, and refused to take a fee for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Turns out I've had a rare and severe reaction to having it fitted, but it's in place and fine. Switching to it after almost ten solid years on depo didn't help

Checkups weekly for the next few weeks if the pain persists, along with an entire pharmacy of drugs to ease the side effects

Credit to my doctor, she did multiple scans tonight, took swabs for infection, and spent a lot of time today going through options, explaining the likely cause, and devising the right prescriptions I need, and refused to take a fee for it.

Glad to hear you're being looked after :)
    Hopefully it settles down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Aw Stheno, crappy luck that. Your doctor sounds absolutely brilliant though, must be a huge relief.

Ye might remember I was all set to get the Mirena fitted a few months back, but mainly due to costs we kinda put it on the backburner til the new year. In the meantime I discovered one pack of Microlite in my drawer so I decided to go ahead and use it up (we'd been using condoms only up to that point). Mother of God, that stuff does not suit me. After two weeks I realised my sex drive had dropped like a bloody stone. It took me a while to realise what was going on but himself had noticed early on, not realising what the cause was. He'd been feeling quite rejected, but was afraid to pipe up, so was extremely relieved when it dawned on me and we talked it all through. The poor thing. It completely messed with both our minds.

So, I'm re-thinking the Mirena. I know the hormone doses are way smaller and localised, but I think I would rather try the copper coil instead. I think it would just be easier for my body to deal with.

Did anyone else come to choose the copper coil over Mirena for similar reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Aw Stheno, crappy luck that. Your doctor sounds absolutely brilliant though, must be a huge relief.

Ye might remember I was all set to get the Mirena fitted a few months back, but mainly due to costs we kinda put it on the backburner til the new year. In the meantime I discovered one pack of Microlite in my drawer so I decided to go ahead and use it up (we'd been using condoms only up to that point). Mother of God, that stuff does not suit me. After two weeks I realised my sex drive had dropped like a bloody stone. It took me a while to realise what was going on but himself had noticed early on, not realising what the cause was. He'd been feeling quite rejected, but was afraid to pipe up, so was extremely relieved when it dawned on me and we talked it all through. The poor thing. It completely messed with both our minds.

So, I'm re-thinking the Mirena. I know the hormone doses are way smaller and localised, but I think I would rather try the copper coil instead. I think it would just be easier for my body to deal with.

Did anyone else come to choose the copper coil over Mirena for similar reasons?

I couldn't go mirena for similar reasons. And even though I am not active now... I would like to want to be. The dual hormone just messed with me.

The doctor put me on cerazette to see how I handled the single hormone. Apart from break though bleeding (because of another reason) I was great! No thrush, no mood swings and wanting sex! Yay!

She offered me the copper coil but I was certain I didn't want periods at all because of incredible leg pain. The copper can make them heavier! So the jaydess was fitted. Why not ask the doctor to test run the mini pill to see how that dose of hormones works for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

shalalala wrote: »
    I couldn't go mirena for similar reasons. And even though I am not active now... I would like to want to be. The dual hormone just messed with me.

The doctor put me on cerazette to see how I handled the single hormone. Apart from break though bleeding (because of another reason) I was great! No thrush, no mood swings and wanting sex! Yay!

She offered me the copper coil but I was certain I didn't want periods at all because of incredible leg pain. The copper can make them heavier! So the jaydess was fitted. Why not ask the doctor to test run the mini pill to see how that dose of hormones works for you?

Brilliant. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

There is a Sticky thread in the Relationship Issues forum called "How pregnancy happens". There is a video in that. It may be the one you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm so sick of contraception :(
    The pill doesn't suit me. I'm either very busy and forget to take it, or I take a full course which my cycle fights against. It's so exhausting taking the pill and your body trying to have weekly periods to match everyone you come in contact with.

Depoprovera solved that but I've gone from clear skin to looking like I've constant chickenpox. As well as that, I'm swelling up at a crazy rate. I've been a size 6/8 since I stopped growing at about 12 or 13 but now I barely have a pair of trousers I'm comfortable in except tracksuit bottoms with elasticated waists.

Anything else, my doctor is refusing to do because I'm only 20. To be honest, I'm not entirely happy with the idea of a coil either. The Minera might have side effects too and is painful to put in and take out. The copper coil increases period heaviness and mine are messed up enough.
    It really seems like which side effects to tolerate the most. Option of A) constant exhaustion. Not really fun as I'm in my final year at college and will be tired enough. Could be fine for a while but not sure if I can risk it if my body decided to fight the pill and sync my periods with some random person during a busy period. B) grow out of all my clothes that I can't afford to replace. My favourite pair of jeans are currently digging quite uncomfortably into me. Can't fit into any of my shorts. C) Find some doctor that will prescribe the coil and risk more unknown side effects. Again, final year of college. If the side effects end up severe, it will affect my degree. D) find a doctor that will prescibe the implant. My own doctor refuses to do it because they've had to take out every single one they put in.

At this stage, tube tying is the most attractive option but there isn't a hope in hell of getting that done. Doctor who was substituting my normal doctor essentially told me to just put up with it because I don't have any other choices than the injection or risk just condoms. Ugh, it's so frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Nuvaring??

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Nuvaring??

Not something the doctor mentioned. Has anyone had any experience with it?

• Advertisement

Ive been on the nuvaring 3 years now, and no complaints. Its quite expensive, but I like it. Some people don't get on with it, but its controlled my cycle and my moods.

I might discuss it with the doctor and see what they think. Hadn't even considered it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I had terrible reactions to the nuvaring, and I used it for way too long just because it was so easy to use!

I'd give it a go, every person is different and it might be good for you. Just be aware of the possible side affects, I was living in denial of what the cause of my problems was :p

I had terrible reactions to the nuvaring, and I used it for way too long just because it was so easy to use!

I'd give it a go, every person is different and it might be good for you. Just be aware of the possible side affects, I was living in denial of what the cause of my problems was :p

If you don't mind me asking, what were your side effects?

sup_dude wrote: »

Did you rule out implanon?

Tasden wrote: »
    Did you rule out implanon?

Doctor won't do it. They said they had to take out every single one they put in so now they won't give it out.

Doctor won't do it. They said they had to take out every single one they put in so now they won't give it out.

Really? My college doctor was dying to get me onto it and I wasn't keen, eventually after i graduated i bit the bullet and my new GP was delighted, says she thinks its the best form available.

I won't lie, I did initially consider getting it removed but my GP had warned me beforehand that most people don't give it enough time to settle and want it out within first 6 months due to irregular bleeding but its only after 6 months that it actually settles. So she had said that if the symptoms aren't exceptionally bad that she wanted me to wait the full 6 months before removing it. Best thing I ever did. 6 months of constant irregular bleeding, then bam at the 7 month mark period stopped completely. Only came back in the 6 months before it was due to be taken out. On my second one now for a few months and no period so far.

Maybe speak to a well woman centre if you want a second opinion on any of the other forms available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Mood wise I was pretty depressed, and it was a great contraceptive cause I rarely wanted to have sex! It gave me a lot of stomach issues too.

All stopped fairly soon after I stopped using it though, so if it didn't agree with you it's easily solved unlike some other options.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

I started on the Nuvaring and used to find it great but my doc now won't prescribe as there's a history of breast cancer from my mum.

I had the Mirena for 18 months and it never settled down, while my periods did stop (which was amazing) the intense cramping for 3 days every couple of weeks was horrific. My gynae kept on insisting it would eventually settle down but by the time I came to take it out I was living on a diet of painkillers quite a lot of the time. It also caused my hair to start thinning which was so so upsetting.

I'm on Cerazette now and finding it ok, my skin wasn't great at first but I've had a few light bleeds and *zero* pain which is such a step up for me. My weight is creeping up but I'm putting that mostly down to work and not eating properly....

@sup_dude the Mirena could be worth a try - I had it inserted under anaesthetic (was having a laparoscopy at the same time) so can't comment on that but the removal was painful for about 2 seconds.

• Advertisement

Mood wise I was pretty depressed, and it was a great contraceptive cause I rarely wanted to have sex! It gave me a lot of stomach issues too.

All stopped fairly soon after I stopped using it though, so if it didn't agree with you it's easily solved unlike some other options.

Its funny how it affects people differently. Id have been like the anti Christ before, but the nuvaring settled that out. The lack of sex thing didn't happen either, in fact I'm wanting it more now.
    The only thing I found was the first time I put it in, I really wanted to take it out, felt itchy and uncomfortable. I stuck with it and wouldn't be without it now.

Advertisement