Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I really wish we didn't have to go through all this crap of trying something and hoping it doesn't mess you up in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi ladies,
    am currently thinking of changing from the pill injection to either the coil or the implant.
    My doctor tried talking me out of the coil because I haven't had any kids. anyone here using either and how did you find them? also do you know the cost of either been bought and fitted
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

sup_dude wrote: »
    I really wish we didn't have to go through all this crap of trying something and hoping it doesn't mess you up in some way.

I really wish we could just switch our baby-making capabilities on and off like a switch :pac:

Not looking for medical advice as already agreed with GP to try to stay on this pill 3 months to see if the side-effects lessen. Just wondering how long other people have experienced side-effects after starting it, and when they began to decrease? I'm taking it a month now, still fairly nauseous every evening and anxiety quite bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hi ladies,
    am currently thinking of changing from the pill injection to either the coil or the implant.
    My doctor tried talking me out of the coil because I haven't had any kids. anyone here using either and how did you find them? also do you know the cost of either been bought and fitted
    thanks

MOD

Hi OP,

I've merged your thread with the existing women's health thread.

Lucy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Hey missmolly, I've had both. No side effects much with the implant, I got a second one put in after the first was up and it was fine. I changed to the mirena last year, it was pretty painful (there's a few people here who got it in recently I think and had similar reactions) but it's been okay since. Both will cost you €144 since that's the upper limit of what you pay for medication per month under the drugs payment scheme - ask in the pharmacy about this if you don't have a card already. You need a prescription for both so you'll have a GP visit first, and then the charge for fitting varies depending on your doctor, but you can ask them in the first appointment how much they charge.

One thing - for both, check that your doctor has experience in fitting and removing them. I got my first implant removed by a doctor who didn't do very many of them, and have a bigger scar from then than I do from the removal of the second one.

Oh, and I don't have kids.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

sup_dude wrote: »

It's only a very lucky few who find a contraceptive with no side effects :(. I've resigned myself to a reduced libido because Microlite doesn't give me thrush, cervical bleeding, gain loads of weight, make me seriously depressed and a variety of other symptoms I've experienced with different pills :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Started Cerazette last night, and woke up this morning with bleeding :rolleyes: I've heard that lots of women get constant light bleeding with this pill, I really hope it's not the case for me. I'm annoyed as I'm 6 weeks post-partum, breastfeeding but not exclusively (hence the mini pill) and there was no sign of my period returning before I started taking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

Hi ladies, not sure if I have the right thread but I will try anyway. Just realised last night that I have been taking an out of date pill (the chemist gave me 3 months in Sept which went out of date in Nov). I was almost through my second month when I noticed. I went back to the chemist today who were very apologetic and replaced the box. Im still a bit shocked that I would have continued for another month but by chance spotted this. Just wondering has this happened anyone else before?

hi confusticated,
    how have you found the coil since you got it in? I am currently on the depo injection and really want to change but am worried about more weight gain and other side effects :(

• Advertisement

I got a 6 month prescription for the pill at the start of November but I know that it wont last 6 months as I have been running 2 packs together and ended up taking two extra pills after getting sick on two separate occasions. Is it acceptable to go back to ask for a prescription renewal even though six calender months won't have passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corkchick88

Hey ladies. I have been on microlite contraceptive pill for the past ten years. A couple of months ago my doctor told me that I may have to consider changing as he didn't feel it was compatible with me anymore. My blood pressure was high and he could see no other reason why. I have had an active sex life for the last ten years and have not gotten pregnant so the pill has obviously worked in that sense.

I have recently been diagnosed with mild depression and doc feels that the pill may also have contributed to my mood changes. I have also noticed that my sex drive has reduced a bit.

So now I have decided to come off the pill for a bit (no chance of pregnancy at the moment - recently single).

I never thought to change pill as it had been working in terms of not getting pregnant. Has this happened to any of you after being on the same one for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

hi confusticated,
    how have you found the coil since you got it in? I am currently on the depo injection and really want to change but am worried about more weight gain and other side effects :(

Haven't had any weight gain, but I didn't with the implant either (well, I went up a few cup sizes with the first implant, but I didn't complain about that particular weight gain:p). Period pain is very noticeable with it, which it wasn't before, but I think that might be because I didn't get a period often on the implant. I'm going to stick with it because I wanted a long-term option and there's been no massively negative side effects so far, but I'm not sure if I would get another when this one is up. I think the implant suited me better, but that's just a question of preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Hey ladies. I have been on microlite contraceptive pill for the past ten years. A couple of months ago my doctor told me that I may have to consider changing as he didn't feel it was compatible with me anymore. My blood pressure was high and he could see no other reason why. I have had an active sex life for the last ten years and have not gotten pregnant so the pill has obviously worked in that sense.

I have recently been diagnosed with mild depression and doc feels that the pill may also have contributed to my mood changes. I have also noticed that my sex drive has reduced a bit.

So now I have decided to come off the pill for a bit (no chance of pregnancy at the moment - recently single).

I never thought to change pill as it had been working in terms of not getting pregnant. Has this happened to any of you after being on the same one for years?

Yes. All pills should work against pregnancy if taken correctly, therefore you have scope to change based on unwanted side effects. If your doctor doesn't think this one is suitable for you anymore, you can ask them to suggest another kind. Or, of course, come off the pill completely.

I was on Dianette for years as it's the only one that really works for acne. I came off it because I was suffering from depression and there appeared to be a possible link or interference with my antidepressants. There are studies about links between some pills and depression. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take one again, just that that specific one might not be right for you. I was also wanting to stop taking Dianette as it's been banned in France for health reasons and I didn't feel comfortable taking it anymore.

I was off the pill entirely for over six months, but put back on to a different one by my doctor as I have no periods without taking some kind of pill (due to PCOS) and no periods is apparently bad for you. I'm on Yasmin now and experiencing no side effects.

But yeah, in short, the pill can be something you have to play around with (with your GP) until you find the right one for you that causes minimal to no side effects.

Yes. All pills should work against pregnancy if taken correctly, therefore you have scope to change based on unwanted side effects. If your doctor doesn't think this one is suitable for you anymore, you can ask them to suggest another kind. Or, of course, come off the pill completely.

I was on Dianette for years as it's the only one that really works for acne. I came off it because I was suffering from depression and there appeared to be a possible link or interference with my antidepressants. There are studies about links between some pills and depression. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take one again, just that that specific one might not be right for you. I was also wanting to stop taking Dianette as it's been banned in France for health reasons and I didn't feel comfortable taking it anymore.

I was off the pill entirely for over six months, but put back on to a different one by my doctor as I have no periods without taking some kind of pill (due to PCOS) and no periods is apparently bad for you. I'm on Yasmin now and experiencing no side effects.

But yeah, in short, the pill can be something you have to play around with (with your GP) until you find the right one for you that causes minimal to no side effects.

Thanks so much for your reply. It really all makes sense now that I have thought about the way I was feeling and the side effects that I have been told about.

I am going to give my body a bit of a break for a while from it and then seek GPs advice as to best way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

So I got one..
    I bought the one for 30+ as I'm 29 but ended up buying the one for under 30's or for people who haven't had kids..

I suffer with periods with clots so could never use tampons..
    Hate sanitary towels (so gross really)

The more I read or have read about the 'cotton' in most generic tampons and bleach and toxins... the more I am disgusted putting it inside of me.

So I looked at getting a menstrual cup, saw there was one on groupon and delighted to get one!

I've used it a few times and when it unfolds properly, it's AMAZING... no leaks, clots are contained and I'm the happiest girl in the world..

Then there are times, I can't get it to unfold and it breaks my little heart :(

Do any of you ladies have any tips as to how to get it to unfold the cup properly?!

:confused:

Thanks so much for your reply. It really all makes sense now that I have thought about the way I was feeling and the side effects that I have been told about.

I am going to give my body a bit of a break for a while from it and then seek GPs advice as to best way forward

I have stopped the pill now and see what happens. Doc also mentioned the fact that i had started having cramps in my last few periods that this meant it wasnt working as you are not meant to get any cramps with it. I will reconsider my options whens needs b. Just use other protection for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just check it i guess. You will become an expert the more you use. Whst brand did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Lunaarli wrote: »
    So I got one..
    I bought the one for 30+ as I'm 29 but ended up buying the one for under 30's or for people who haven't had kids..

I suffer with periods with clots so could never use tampons..
    Hate sanitary towels (so gross really)

The more I read or have read about the 'cotton' in most generic tampons and bleach and toxins... the more I am disgusted putting it inside of me.

So I looked at getting a menstrual cup, saw there was one on groupon and delighted to get one!

I've used it a few times and when it unfolds properly, it's AMAZING... no leaks, clots are contained and I'm the happiest girl in the world..

Then there are times, I can't get it to unfold and it breaks my little heart :(

Do any of you ladies have any tips as to how to get it to unfold the cup properly?!

:confused:

MOD

Hi,

I've merged your thread with the existing Womens Health thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Star55

Hi
    can anyone tell me when getting a USL inserted by a doctor, do you have to provide it or does the doc have a supply. Also does it have to be inserted at a certain time during your cycle.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What type of ccontraceptive is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,851 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hi Star,

I've moved your post to an existing Women's Health Thread. You may find the answers you're looking for in here already :)

Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

Dolbert wrote: »
    Started Cerazette last night, and woke up this morning with bleeding :rolleyes: I've heard that lots of women get constant light bleeding with this pill, I really hope it's not the case for me. I'm annoyed as I'm 6 weeks post-partum, breastfeeding but not exclusively (hence the mini pill) and there was no sign of my period returning before I started taking this.

I took cerazette for 3 months and bled continuously for those 3 months. What a nightmare. That was as far as I was willing to try to be honest.

So decided to get the Mirena. Had it inserted last Friday ( hurt a bit for about 10 seconds) but don't feel any different as such.

My main reason was the heavy periods and being 40 they were getting out of all control. No amount of tampons or pads was keeping it under control so fingers crossed that the coil will fix all this for me. Hopefully I won't have weight gain ( can't afford to put up much more tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

I've been on cerazette for over 2 years and I haven't experienced any problems on it (so far). My sister was also on it but started randomly bleeding after being on it a few months. I suppose it just depends on the person!

I'm going to New Zealand on Thursday (land on Saturday morning) and need help figuring out when to take my pill! I take it at 7.30pm, so I was just going to take it at 8.30am once I arrive. (Keep it at my normal time in Ireland..) But I can't figure out what to do on Friday because I'm losing a day with the time zones... I was thinking of bringing a watch and keeping it on Irish time but in my head I'd be skipping Fridays pill! Any suggests are welcome, my brain is fried trying to figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Your body doesn't know what day it is or what time zone it is. As long as you take a pill every 24 hours you wouldn't be missing one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

taking cerrazette at its usual time is best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

norabattie wrote: »
    I took cerazette for 3 months and bled continuously for those 3 months. What a nightmare. That was as far as I was willing to try to be honest.

Thanks Nora, it needed ended up stopping after about a week. Fingers crossed I can stay on it, don't want any Irish twins around here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

ive had to start cerrazette again, when i got onto the combined pill all was ok first but now my blood pressure and heart rate is up, and my leg has started swelling again. cant risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

Your body doesn't know what day it is or what time zone it is. As long as you take a pill every 24 hours you wouldn't be missing one
    PucaMama wrote: »
    taking cerrazette at its usual time is best

Thanks for the replies, it makes more sense now. I think I just have the last minute panics about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Sporadically, my period "starts" with a brownish red bleed for a day or so, then stops for 1 or 2 days, then comes back properly.

Is this common?

Advertisement