Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Well it's often the way it goes for me, don't know if it's common tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 aisoconnor

Hi there, I was taking Microlite for over two years and then developed issues with bleeding so I was prescribed Yasmin to see how that goes. I've only taken the first week of Yasmin but my skin has changed entirely. I understand that skin is related to hormones and that this could just be a result of suddenly changing the pill and I'm just wondering has anyone else experienced this and did your skin regulate itself after it had adjusted to the new pill?

I know it's only the first week and I'll stick it out for at least the first packet, but my skin has been clear for a few months now so I'm just looking for some input. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,851 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hi aisoconnor

I've merged your thread with a relevant and preexisting thread.

Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭InvisibleWoman

I've started taking Cerazette as I've got PCOS and kept having constant periods... First two weeks, no period, but for the last three weeks, they have been very heavy, I mean I feel like I'm drowning - any time I fart, there is a whoosh feeling of liquid. I'm going through a maxi pad in four hours, and I am sleeping on old towels because of leakage.
    I'm miserable, as the pill was supposed to regulate my periods, but this is much worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I've started taking Cerazette as I've got PCOS and kept having constant periods... First two weeks, no period, but for the last three weeks, they have been very heavy, I mean I feel like I'm drowning - any time I fart, there is a whoosh feeling of liquid. I'm going through a maxi pad in four hours, and I am sleeping on old towels because of leakage.
    I'm miserable, as the pill was supposed to regulate my periods, but this is much worse!

I'd say it to your GP. I would think its normal, I had constant bleeding for months after getting implanon, it was really tiring, doc said its completely normal and wait it out..! I think there is medication you can get if it is heavy for an extended amount of time but again that'd be up to your GP. Might just have to wait a while til they regulate- which they will if it's anything like implanon. But go to GP to see what you should be doing and to have her check you over so you can monitor it, especially since its very heavy. Look after yourself, getting food and rest etc to keep your energy up. Hope it stops soon, its awful! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I also had bleeding issues the first time I took cerazette. I bled every single day for 3 months, and about once a fortnight, I'd bleed so heavily that I'd go through a night time pad in less than an hour. However, with my PCOS, I went through pads like that on any 'pre-pill' period.

I came off of it. Went back on it 6 months later and now it's amazing. I think I've had maybe 4 light periods. No more agonising pain each month that requires two days off work. Only sick day I've had in the last two years were for food poisoning and a chest infection.

I wouldn't be without it now.

I find though, that although there's a 12 hour grace period, if I take it two hours late, I get a period. If I'm religious on my timing, I don't get any period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Sporadically, my period "starts" with a brownish red bleed for a day or so, then stops for 1 or 2 days, then comes back properly.

Is this common?
    Me too. Not every month but every once in a while. I've never worried about it, to be honest, just cursed the days in between where I'm like "Will I wear a pad? Maybe I don't need one. Better wear one just in case... Well that was a waste*". :p

*although since I started wearing reusable fabric pads this doesn't bother me any more. No more waste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Just wondering whether anyone's experienced spotting on Dianette? I've taken it on two different occasions in the past, plus other pills, and I've never bled outside a period before. However, my period isn't due for another 9 days but over the weekend I had
    brown, light spotting
    . Has anyone else ever experienced this on Dianette? I've been on it since last November, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I also had bleeding issues the first time I took cerazette. I bled every single day for 3 months, and about once a fortnight, I'd bleed so heavily that I'd go through a night time pad in less than an hour. However, with my PCOS, I went through pads like that on any 'pre-pill' period.

I came off of it. Went back on it 6 months later and now it's amazing. I think I've had maybe 4 light periods. No more agonising pain each month that requires two days off work. Only sick day I've had in the last two years were for food poisoning and a chest infection.

I wouldn't be without it now.

I find though, that although there's a 12 hour grace period, if I take it two hours late, I get a period. If I'm religious on my timing, I don't get any period.

It's funny, my boyfriend suggested maybe coming off cerazette and going back on it, to kind of reset my periods.

Wondering if anyone else has done the same and it worked? Don't like messing around with my hormones, but my periods are long lasting as is so might be willing to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Hi,
    I have been taking Dianette for the last year to help clear up facial hair which it is doing well.

My problem is that my period comes on the 7th free day or on the first day Im meant to be starting the new pack.
    I am wondering should I just start the new pack anyways even though I have my period on the 7th day or wait for it to be over and then start the new pack.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beanie5

I had my implanon in for almost a year and a half. I had it removed at the beginning of May last year due to side effects - my asthma flared much more frequently, I had headaches all the time, and I gained 1st in a month. Since then I have had one normal period, it lasted about a week, that was in November. In January and February I had two days of very very light spotting, but that was it. I've been to my doctor and my hormone levels are all normal. He thinks my periods will come back in time. I'm still worried about it though! Anyone out there had similar experiences? And if so how did it turn out for you? Thanks in advance for any advice ☺️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mod: Beanie5, I've merged your thread with the Women's Health thread as you may get more advice in here! :)
    Ivy

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭InvisibleWoman

Tasden wrote: »
    I'd say it to your GP
    I've actually been referred two years ago to the Rotunda for constant bleeding and my GP had already prescribed Cyklokapron (which stops the bleeding) three times over the previous 18 months. The Rotunda was a waste of time. I had two appointments plus a scan, and the response was "We don't know why you are bleeding, but there is nothing wrong, so go on the pill to regulate your bleeding". I complained, saying it felt like they were just treating the symptom rather than the cause, but nothing further was done. I resisted going on the pill, as I had gotten nausea last time, but gave up - now the bleeding is much worse. All my GP could do is send me back to the rotunda and I have no faith anything would be done.
    I'm now using a 'Super Plus Extra' tampon plus an Ultra Goodnight with Wings pad to get through the night without waking up in a mess.
    I'm talking it over with my OH, but I'm considering finding out if I can have a hysterectomy voluntarily as waiting until menopause hits is not an option. In the meantime, I've stopped the cerazette as its not helping.

That's not good enough, ffs go on the pill because we don't know what's wrong with you?! Christ that amount of bleeding must really be affecting your quality of life. I'm actually furious for you.

Can you ask for a referral to a different hospital? I've had great experiences with the Coombe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I've actually been referred two years ago to the Rotunda for constant bleeding and my GP had already prescribed Cyklokapron (which stops the bleeding) three times over the previous 18 months. The Rotunda was a waste of time. I had two appointments plus a scan, and the response was "We don't know why you are bleeding, but there is nothing wrong, so go on the pill to regulate your bleeding". I complained, saying it felt like they were just treating the symptom rather than the cause, but nothing further was done. I resisted going on the pill, as I had gotten nausea last time, but gave up - now the bleeding is much worse. All my GP could do is send me back to the rotunda and I have no faith anything would be done.
    I'm now using a 'Super Plus Extra' tampon plus an Ultra Goodnight with Wings pad to get through the night without waking up in a mess.
    I'm talking it over with my OH, but I'm considering finding out if I can have a hysterectomy voluntarily as waiting until menopause hits is not an option. In the meantime, I've stopped the cerazette as its not helping.

I feel your pain. I went through something similar last year. I got my period last March and it didn't stop. Went to my GP and was put on Cyklokapron which made my period lighter but didn't stop it. Had blood test, and an ultrasound but she couldn't find anything wrong. At that stage I had had my period for 12 weeks, some days were so heavy I had to bring spare clothes to work. I was afraid to go out because I couldn't risk it. My GP referred me to a gynecologist in the Mater. More blood test, ultrasounds and even an MRI. He suggested an exploratory operation and biopsy. He also inserted the Miranda. Thankfully the biopsy didn't show anything. I had two periods since the Miranda was inserted and since Christmas I've two days of spotting. Like you I considered a hysterectomy and even mentioned it to the consultant but he said my hormone levels didn't show any signs for pre-menopause so he wouldn't recommend a hysterectomy. Have you considered the Miranda or something similar?

Gongoozler wrote: »
    It's funny, my boyfriend suggested maybe coming off cerazette and going back on it, to kind of reset my periods.

Wondering if anyone else has done the same and it worked? Don't like messing around with my hormones, but my periods are long lasting as is so might be willing to give it a go.

It worked for me! My little sister was on Cerazette too. No constant bleeding like me (she's on it for extremely heavy periods, she'd be bedbound for a week at a time with pain), but her periods got heavier on it. Like me, she came off it for a few months. Went back on it around the time I did. She still gets periods, but they're like clockwork now, and light

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have just started taking Cyklokapron for the first time. I was just wondering how does it work? Does it lessen the amount you are going to discharge, so overall there will be less over the course of your period. Or does it increase the duration of your period, so overall same amount of discharge over a longer interval? Certainly for me it seems to have lightened my period (thankfully!) but as this is my first time taking it, I was just wondering am I going to have a longer period this time.

I'm scheduled to take it for 4 days this time. Really only the first 3 days are very heavy so was going to limit taking it to those days. I'm going for a scan next week for further investigation, but would appreciate any insights from anyone with experience of Cyklokapron.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was on the Cyklokapron for nearly a year! The cause of my trouble turned out to be fibroids. For a while a Mirena IUS kept the bleeding away, but then one fibroid was so big they couldn't insert a Mirena. I got Uterine Arterial Embolisation and touch wood all has been good the last 18 months or so. There is a chance the bleeding might start again if another fibroid develops, but I would have no problem having the UAE again.
    Of course at 52, it's a race I'm 'always going to win' as the doctor says, but my grandmother still had periods at 58, so it might be a bit of a way left yet.

I hope you get sorted soon.

I've been perscribed Cerazette after being on Ovranette. How much is Cerazette?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Hi,
    I have been taking Dianette for the last year to help clear up facial hair which it is doing well.

My problem is that my period comes on the 7th free day or on the first day Im meant to be starting the new pack.
    I am wondering should I just start the new pack anyways even though I have my period on the 7th day or wait for it to be over and then start the new pack.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

I think just continue to take it as per the instructions, don't worry about what day your period starts. What you described is fairly normal

I've been perscribed Cerazette after being on Ovranette. How much is Cerazette?

I've found that it varies massively depending on which chemist you use, but mine is about 14 per month, from a Lloyd's Pharmacy or Health Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Actually in case people haven't had a heads up already Ovranette won't be covered on the medical card or drug payment scheme from 1st June. The reason is they're putting up the cost price - will still be one of the cheaper pills but will have to be paid for privately by everyone

For a while I've had this feeling there was something wrong with me. I have no reason for it but I always had this feeling that I wouldn't be able to have kids for as long as I can remember. I started having sex quite young (16) and I have been on the pill always. I tried to get the doctor to agree to a smear when I was 21 or so but 2 doctors told me it wasn't necessary and if I wanted it done I'd have to get it done privately. I couldn't afford it so I waited until now.

I literally signed up on my 25th birthday for the smear and had it a few weeks later. I got the results today and I'm kind of panicking about them. The results were sent to me in the post by my doctor and just said that due to abnormal results I needed to get a colposcopy in 2 weeks. Everyone I've told keeps saying it's nothing to worry about but I'm finding it very hard not to worry. I think this idea in the back of my mind that I have something wrong with me isn't helping either.

The leaflet I got said that you would only be called for a colposcopy if you had high-grade changes and the appointment would be in 2-8 weeks depending on the severity. A lot of what I've read online today about abnormal results indicates a repeat smear either immediately or in 6 months or so, I haven't seen much about an immediate colposcopy. Has anyone been through anything similar or have any idea if that's a normal thing to be referred so quickly?

Ok first, stop reading so much online, you will freak yourself out even more.

I'd an abnormal smear, two years ago I think and had to get referred for a colposcopy also. I got an appointment very quickly as well. The screening service is very good so that's why the appointments for colposcopy in particular are very quick. It was no indication of seriousness in my case :)

I was more freaked out about the procedure than the thoughts of cancer, but the procedure was fine. I went to the Coombe and I'd highly recommend them.

Any more questions, just ask on here :)

Oh and I ended up having to get a biopsy when I was there. That too was fine. Hardly even felt anything.

I suppose I'm looking for opinions. I'm on cerazette for, I dunno, 2 years I'd say, and at first I got no periods for a few months, and then when I got them they were light, short lived and grand in general. Now I seem to get them much more often, they last 2-3 weeks at a time and I get an awful dose of weepiness for almost a week before, and a few days at the beginning of them. The flow isn't heavy, but getting heavier than before. The frequency is bugging me a little, but moreso because of how long it lasts. It's a little frustrating. I've considered stopping it, and maybe restarting, (as I mentioned not so long ago on this thread) to see if that might help, but, and I know no one should ever do this, I googled coming off cerazette, and people seem to be reporting getting worse for it.

I'm on it for contraceptive reasons, and can't switch to another one in place, as I'm allergic to synthetic oestrogen. This also rules out the vast majority of other contraceptives.

Opinions on what I should do? I could ask my doctor, but she'll just say if you want to come off it, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

There is another progestogen only pill - Noriday - which could suit you better. Main downside with it is you only have a 3 hour "window" each day to take it before it counts as a missed pill so you'd need to be pretty vigilant with it

There is another progestogen only pill - Noriday - which could suit you better. Main downside with it is you only have a 3 hour "window" each day to take it before it counts as a missed pill so you'd need to be pretty vigilant with it

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant also by having no other options. That'd be very difficult for me to stick to. but thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I suppose I'm looking for opinions. I'm on cerazette for, I dunno, 2 years I'd say, and at first I got no periods for a few months, and then when I got them they were light, short lived and grand in general. Now I seem to get them much more often, they last 2-3 weeks at a time and I get an awful dose of weepiness for almost a week before, and a few days at the beginning of them. The flow isn't heavy, but getting heavier than before. The frequency is bugging me a little, but moreso because of how long it lasts. It's a little frustrating. I've considered stopping it, and maybe restarting, (as I mentioned not so long ago on this thread) to see if that might help, but, and I know no one should ever do this, I googled coming off cerazette, and people seem to be reporting getting worse for it.

I'm on it for contraceptive reasons, and can't switch to another one in place, as I'm allergic to synthetic oestrogen. This also rules out the vast majority of other contraceptives.

Opinions on what I should do? I could ask my doctor, but she'll just say if you want to come off it, do.

Would you try the jaydess coil?

Advertisement