Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

shalalala wrote: »
    Would you try the jaydess coil?

Hmmm, looks like an alternative worth considering. Just really don't like the idea of having something implanted, especially something they warn about expulsion with! I'll consider it, thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Hmmm, looks like an alternative worth considering. Just really don't like the idea of having something implanted, especially something they warn about expulsion with! I'll consider it, thanks.

Copper coil ?

Stheno wrote: »
    Copper coil ?

"May make periods heavier "?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's something I'd look into if I were you as an alternative?

Yeah I'll take a look when I'm not so tired

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant also by having no other options. That'd be very difficult for me to stick to. but thanks.

Just because you say the three hour window would be difficult -

Are you regularly late taking cerazette? I know there's a twelve hour window with it, but I've found that if I'm ever more than 2 hours late, I get a very bad period. Once I'm taking it within the hour, it's fine, no periods.

I think, if you're considering stopping it or looking into other things, a stop and re-start probably won't do any harm. I've seen the stories online but my friends and sister are all on cerazette too and none of us ever had issues stopping and starting.

Ultimately, people speak online about their bad experiences, not the good ones.

Yeah once I hit the weekend I'm delaying by 2 hours or so average.
    Really think that makes a difference? I could delay taking it during the week and see how that works out. or yeah, stop and restart.
    I'll have to mull it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

(Probably obvious but just in case!)

If sticking to the same time every day is a problem, it might be worth considering changing the time that you normally take it, to one that won't be affected by things like sleeping in after nights out, etc. Your body won't really care whether you take it right before bed, when you wake up, or in the middle of the day just after lunch. :)

Yeah, as I said, I could try move the time, not entirely sure it'd make a difference is all. Plus with working during the day and my evenings varying it'd be not do straight forward to pick a new time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

GP friend said that generally means heavier by one pad per day, and longer by one day. So I wouldn't necessarily let that put you off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Hi OP

I will have my copper coil, my first one, fitted for a year this july.
    I came off the pill after being on it for 6 years or so, due to lack of libido in any way shape or form, and though I will agree that for the first few months my periods were heavier, and for me, kind of more painful, now they have settled down. I have no pain with them really, apart from slight cramps. Also, they now only last about 4 days. They are heavier than when I was on the pill, but that's to be expected, and not at a level I can't handle so I don't mind.
    I can honestly say that for me getting the copper coil was the best thing I ever did. I would also highly recommend the coombe. The doctor that was going to fit the coil for me at first was a little perplexed as to why I didn't get the hormonal one, but she din't fit mine in the end as think she was only a junior doctor. I had to explain again to the next one that it was my preference to not have the hormonal coil and there was no problem after that. Fitting was over and done with in less than 5 minutes, and the doctor was so lovely. I know they're probably not for everyone, but honestly I read a lot two before I got mine and was kind of nervous, now when it comes time I will get another fitted without hesitation, and so great to not have to worry about taking pills every day etc :)
    Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi ladies, hoping you can give me some insight! (I'm not seeking medical advice - have been to doc)

I'm 27 and my periods have always been like clockwork - every 28 days pretty much, give or take a day or two. Occasionally they'd be a few days earlier or later (maybe once or twice a year) but would always fall back to the 28 days-ish the next month.
    Over the past 7/8 months the cycle has shortened - there's been some at 23/24 days, a couple 25, just one 28, and nothing longer. Avg probably 24/25 days.

I went to doc who said it's completely normal and nothing to worry about, so that's reassuring. But have many other people experienced a change like that? I know it's not dramatic or anything - no missed periods, no irregular bleeding or anything, no crazy short cycles, but I just didn't realise they'd change like that. I figured the "what's normal for you" sticks around for most of your 20s!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Thanks for that post, afterglow. I've done a lot of thinking and researching and I think the copper coil is the best solution for me. I hope it works out as well for me as for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've been referred to the gynaecology unit in holles st by my GP. Does anyone know how much this usually costs? I'm a college student and pretty clueless about how hospital costs work

Going with the idea of stopping the pill for now, any good or bad time of the cycle to stop it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

has anyone here had low/depressive moods on yasmin??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was a cranky wagon on Yasminelle, the lower dose version - Mercilon has been much better for me mood-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Firefox51

I am not sure if this is the right section, but here goes.
    Me and my girlfriend have had sex, and although we wore a condom and there was no ejaculation, the crappy condom and slightly ripped through friction.
    She is very worried, and so we are intending on buying the morning after pill
    I just have a few questions.
    1. Could i go in and buy it for her? She is one of those girls that would be absolutely mortified of having to go in there, and although she'd be waiitng right outside the door, i am not sure how this works.
    2. Where in Bandon or Cork city would we be able to buy the morning after pill?
    I heard that boots supplies them, but do all Boots?
    Thank you everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

She will need to go in herself as there are some questions the pharmacist will need to ask her to ensure its safe and appropriate for her to take the morning after pill. It's available in any pharmacy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭ted1

She needs to go in herself. In future you should use a larger condom, one size doesn't fit all and ripping often indicates its to small

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There is nothing to be mortified about. If she is mature enough to be having sex, she should be mature enough to talk to a pharmacist or doctor about the problems that can arise. It's not one size fits all with the morning after pill, and there can be side effects which she needs to be aware of.

You could both look up a little bit about fertility cycles as well (women are usually only fertile for a few days each month). And maybe have a think about other forms of contraception available as backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Firefox51 wrote: »
    She is one of those girls that would be absolutely mortified of having to go in there

Great reason not to go in and get the morning after pill :rolleyes:

Ah c'mon OP...its her body and her health, so she should be more invested and if she is not, she should wonder why...shyness isnt a reason for a possible unwanted pregnancy.

Ill put it like this, up to fairly recently (Im talking only few years here), youd to make a doctors appointment. You paid e50/e60 for doctors time. The doctor prescribed. And then you went to the pharmacy.

They couldnt have made it any easier to get it now.

There is a window in which she has to take it, so go now to a pharmacy (for e.g., Boots with a pharmacy will prescribe).

She doesnt have to go in and blurt/roar out "I NEED THE MORNING AFTER......" She can just ask to have a discreet word with the pharmacist "Hi-could I have a quiet word with the pharmacists please".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Firefox51 wrote: »
    I am not sure if this is the right section, but here goes.
    Me and my girlfriend have had sex, and although we wore a condom and there was no ejaculation, the crappy condom and slightly ripped through friction.
    She is very worried, and so we are intending on buying the morning after pill
    I just have a few questions.
    1. Could i go in and buy it for her? She is one of those girls that would be absolutely mortified of having to go in there, and although she'd be waiitng right outside the door, i am not sure how this works.
    2. Where in Bandon or Cork city would we be able to buy the morning after pill?
    I heard that boots supplies them, but do all Boots?
    Thank you everyone

MOD Hi OP, I've merged your thread with the LadyGardening thread. Please remember medical advice is not allowed on Boards, and it's always a good idea in this situations to visit a GP for proper advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Has anyone else ever had bleeding from the nipple? It's also itchy and sore. My periods are now only 1.5 weeks apart and go on around 2 weeks. Worried is an understatement. I don't have time for this right now.

PucaMama wrote: »
    Has anyone else ever had bleeding from the nipple? It's also itchy and sore. My periods are now only 1.5 weeks apart and go on around 2 weeks. Worried is an understatement. I don't have time for this right now.

I'd be off to your doctor asap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I've had irregular periods for ages now ever since they disappeared for 4 years so it's nothing new only the nipple bleeding is

I've had irregular periods for ages now ever since they disappeared for 4 years so it's nothing new only the nipple bleeding is

It's the bleeding that would concern me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Go to the doctor. I know it's worry ing but not knowing as just as scary. Please go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Not to give be medical advice, but I would be talking to a doctor about the irregular/disappearing periods. It's not healthy not to have them. It's increases risks associated with cancer, apparently. I got put on the pill because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 pigsinablanket

I was on microlite, it ended up making my periods worse so I stopped taking it after a few packs. At the time I didn't have the money to go to the doctor and as I recently got reissued with a medical card I will be getting to the doctors as soon as I get the time.

I'm wondering what would be the best type of contraception, as I'm kind of **** at taking the pill.
    I'm debating getting the barr, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about it, which makes me doubt getting it.

Advertisement