Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm wondering what would be the best type of contraception, as I'm kind of **** at taking the pill.
    I'm debating getting the barr, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about it, which makes me doubt getting it.

Discuss the patch or Nuvaring with the doc. You don't need to remember to take them the way you do the Pill but they can be discontinued pretty much immediately if they don't agree with you, unlike the bar, which you'd have to get removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭newuser30

Hi, I'm just wondering does anyone here have experience or advice about the mini pill? I've been prescribed Cerazette. I haven't been on the pill in years as I hate taking hormones, they caused me bad headaches, weight gain etc. I decided to try the mini pill in the perhaps misguided thinking it would cause less side effects but after researching this may not be the case. Also while the nurse told me I would be protected from first day of my period if I started then, the doctor told me I would need to use condoms, so am a little confused. Anyone any advice?thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Hi ladies :)

I'm pretty sure there's likely to be a mega-thread lurking around that might answer my questions but if there is I can't find it, so apologies if I am in the wrong place.

I'm 28 and have been on the pill for years - went on it quite young due to very painful periods.

Anyhow, I'm finding that in the past year or so my mood swings are becoming unbearable, I am a tearful mess every month and it's causing awful tension with my boyfriend as he seems to get the blame for everything bless him.
    When I'm like that it's as if I can't control how I behave, I get so angry and stressed and I just cry at the stupidest things.

I have been reading up on the internet that obviously your body changes from say the age of 18 to 28, so your contraception needs may have changed too.

Has anyone here any experience of coming off the old reliable pill to something else entirely? I've made an appointment tomorrow to see a female doctor who is apparently very good with this kind of thing so I am going to a professional but I'd also like to hear other peoples stories and if they also suffered with depression like symptoms and what you changed to make things better?

I went directly from microlite onto implanon and I honestly can't describe the difference. I have anxiety disorder which coupled with all of the hormones in the pill used to lead me from one end of the emotional spectrum to the other. It wasn't good on my mood and quite frankly it wasn't good on my heart.
    So I go the implant last year. So far I havent had any problems. My period stopped, though there is an occasional discharge. The mood swings have lessened. And I don't have to worry about taking anything. Basically it's made my life easier (and cheaper)

Thanks for that kyedhen.female

Is Implanon as effective as the pill in terms of protection from pregnancy?
    And how long does it last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

The implant is the most effective form of contraception long-term, barring abstinence. It lasts for three years. Worth noting that it doesn't always stop your periods - it changed my cycle to every two months, but they certainly haven't stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hi ladies :)

I'm pretty sure there's likely to be a mega-thread lurking around that might answer my questions but if there is I can't find it, so apologies if I am in the wrong place.

I'm 28 and have been on the pill for years - went on it quite young due to very painful periods.

Anyhow, I'm finding that in the past year or so my mood swings are becoming unbearable, I am a tearful mess every month and it's causing awful tension with my boyfriend as he seems to get the blame for everything bless him.
    When I'm like that it's as if I can't control how I behave, I get so angry and stressed and I just cry at the stupidest things.

I have been reading up on the internet that obviously your body changes from say the age of 18 to 28, so your contraception needs may have changed too.

Has anyone here any experience of coming off the old reliable pill to something else entirely? I've made an appointment tomorrow to see a female doctor who is apparently very good with this kind of thing so I am going to a professional but I'd also like to hear other peoples stories and if they also suffered with depression like symptoms and what you changed to make things better?

MOD

Merged with mega thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just wanted to ask for personal experience please.
    Considering the mirena coil, but have concerns.
    Have read about some women experiencing a drop in their sex drive, and that would do my head in, as I have always enjoyed a high drive.

Also , I read where partners can feel the threads?
    Would appreciate any personal accounts please.
    Am mid 40s so there's not a huge lot of options except sterilization which is obviously invasive.
    Thank you:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Hi, I had the mirena inserted last July and haven't noticed any drop in my sex drive. Like you I would have a fairly high sex drive. When I was considering the mirena I discussed it with my partner and he mentioned that he had felt the thread with his previous partner. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said it was nothing to worry about and my partner wouldn't be able to feel it. I have asked him repeatedly and he hasn't felt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 velmariann

Hello Everyone!
    I had my smear test approx 4 weeks ago, I got the result, stating that I need to contact my doctor. Of course I started panicking. I visited the doctor, He said, that my result is negative (which is very good), but I am refered to colposcopy, just to confirm this normal result. I am still worrying, why I need to go to do colposcopy? Is something wrong with my cervix? Is there still chance to have CIN? Any experience? Thank you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

velmariann wrote: »
    Hello Everyone!
    I had my smear test approx 4 weeks ago, I got the result, stating that I need to contact my doctor. Of course I started panicking. I visited the doctor, He said, that my result is negative (which is very good), but I am refered to colposcopy, just to confirm this normal result. I am still worrying, why I need to go to do colposcopy? Is something wrong with my cervix? Is there still chance to have CIN? Any experience? Thank you!!!

Did you ask your doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 velmariann

Yes I did, but He kept saying, not to worry, its a great result, probably everything is ok. I also checked Cervical Check's website, where its written that the reason for referal is "suspicious cervix". I just wonder if somebody had been in the same situation (negative result->refered for colposcopy->went for colposcopy->what was the result? ) Maybe I just overthink this whole situation, and should calm down :/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,851 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hi velmariann

I've moved your thread to a relevant and pre-existing thread.

velmariann wrote: »
    Yes I did, but He kept saying, not to worry, its a great result, probably everything is ok. I also checked Cervical Check's website, where its written that the reason for referal is "suspicious cervix". I just wonder if somebody had been in the same situation (negative result->refered for colposcopy->went for colposcopy->what was the result? ) Maybe I just overthink this whole situation, and should calm down :/

Hi Velmariann

My sister had to have a colposcopy 2 weeks ago due to 'high risk' abnormal looking cells.
    She went in, had the colposcopy which she said was a bit more intrusive than a smear but not painful and she could see it all on a screen in the room and could clearly see the cells that were abnormal as they were white.
    The doctor then explained they would need to remove them and would get her in for another appointment. My sister said can you just do it now seeing as I am already here with my legs spread - haha she is a bit more blunt and to the point than me! - and he actually said yes OK I can.

So he done the procedure which was basically injecting her cervix to numb them and then inserting a 'hot rod' and burning away the cells, she said it took about 30 mins and was a little sore but not unbearable at all.

She was fine afterwards but was told she would be bleeding for around 4-6 weeks and then gave her a sanitary towel which she described to me as 'a single mattress' lol.
    She said the next day she had what felt like quite severe period pains but Nurofen sorted that and she took the day off work.
    The doctor told her there and then that she should have no further problems and that what she'd had was very common.

She will get the results officially in the post but he was able to put her mind at rest.

After talking to a few of my friends of them, 2 out of the 5 have needed a colposcopy too and then the burning of cells but no further action was required after.

I hope t hat makes you feel a little better, sounds like a lot to go through but it was all done for her in less than an hour.
    She did say she wasn't told she would need the following day off work though, so it might be wise to book it off just in case.

I hope all goes well for you :) try not to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PaperWeight_88

So mine is in constant need of attention. Like, it grows really fast!

I have previously gotten it waxed, but found it uncomfortable and a tad embarrassing. Also, whenever I have gotten it waxed she always misses bits!

So I switched to hair removal cream. But the process of that takes ages and I hate the smell!

Any advice ladies? Whats the best way to keep your lady garden nicely maintained?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hi Velmariann

My sister had to have a colposcopy 2 weeks ago due to 'high risk' abnormal looking cells.
    She went in, had the colposcopy which she said was a bit more intrusive than a smear but not painful and she could see it all on a screen in the room and could clearly see the cells that were abnormal as they were white.
    The doctor then explained they would need to remove them and would get her in for another appointment. My sister said can you just do it now seeing as I am already here with my legs spread - haha she is a bit more blunt and to the point than me! - and he actually said yes OK I can.

So he done the procedure which was basically injecting her cervix to numb them and then inserting a 'hot rod' and burning away the cells, she said it took about 30 mins and was a little sore but not unbearable at all.

She was fine afterwards but was told she would be bleeding for around 4-6 weeks and then gave her a sanitary towel which she described to me as 'a single mattress' lol.
    She said the next day she had what felt like quite severe period pains but Nurofen sorted that and she took the day off work.
    The doctor told her there and then that she should have no further problems and that what she'd had was very common.

She will get the results officially in the post but he was able to put her mind at rest.

After talking to a few of my friends of them, 2 out of the 5 have needed a colposcopy too and then the burning of cells but no further action was required after.

I hope t hat makes you feel a little better, sounds like a lot to go through but it was all done for her in less than an hour.
    She did say she wasn't told she would need the following day off work though, so it might be wise to book it off just in case.

I hope all goes well for you :) try not to worry

This is an exact copy of what happened with me. Only difference being they offered they could do it now or do it later. I said do it now, same as your sister, and my experience was exactly the same as hers/as above.

The staff were brilliant. The two nurses who looked after me were professional, gentle, soothing and informative as the process went on. The doctor was a little bit brusque and "in and out" - literally - but I'd rather this than it going on for ages.

It's not a great thing to go through, no one would choose it, but staff do their utmost and help you through. And at the end of it all you have cleared the cells that would be at risk of turning into cancer cells if you didn't treat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Smears are supposed to be free once you're over 25 and under whatever age, right?

So, is it normal to be charged 55 euro for the appointment, because the doctor 'isnt charging extra for the smear itself?'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

You have to go through cervical check.ie to get set up on the system from what I remember.

So yeah if you don't do the above, it's normal to be charged.

Edit: judging from the below, when making your appointment it might be enough to say it to the receptionist. It depends on the below.

http://www.cervicalcheck.ie/home/how-to-have-a-smear-test.5864.html

Smears are supposed to be free once you're over 25 and under whatever age, right?

So, is it normal to be charged 55 euro for the appointment, because the doctor 'isnt charging extra for the smear itself?'

You're only entitled to one free one every 3 years I think - could even be 5?
    You have to wait until you get your letter from Cervical Check (I think that's what they're called) and you can then book your appointment.
    Your doctor will have access to the database so will know when you are due one; I know this as I tried to book one last week but the doctor said if you come on now it will be €70 but if you wait until July when your free one is due then obviously you won't be charged.

If this was actually supposed your free one, then the doctor is wrong to charge you anything.

You're only entitled to one free one every 3 years I think - could even be 5?
    You have to wait until you get your letter from Cervical Check (I think that's what they're called) and you can then book your appointment.
    Your doctor will have access to the database so will know when you are due one; I know this as I tried to book one last week but the doctor said if you come on now it will be €70 but if you wait until July when your free one is due then obviously you won't be charged.

If this was actually supposed your free one, then the doctor is wrong to charge you anything.

Yeah, I knew about waiting for the letter. For some reason, I've been waiting over a year for it (I'm 26). Received it, then rang up and asked and the receptionist said it'd be 55 for the appointment, but no extra charge for the smear. And yeah, my gp is part of the scheme, checked that on the cervical check site.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I knew about waiting for the letter. For some reason, I've been waiting over a year for it (I'm 26). Received it, then rang up and asked and the receptionist said it'd be 55 for the appointment, but no extra charge for the smear. And yeah, my gp is part of the scheme, checked that on the cervical check site.

That's really odd - have you booked it yet?
    I would go to a different doctor, it's not normal for you to be charged - maybe also call Cervical Check as well about it as the doctor is possibly doing something wrong here, making money from a scheme that is supposed to be 100% free

That's really odd - have you booked it yet?
    I would go to a different doctor, it's not normal for you to be charged - maybe also call Cervical Check as well about it as the doctor is possibly doing something wrong here, making money from a scheme that is supposed to be 100% free

No, I didn't book it, I figured there was something wrong with that. There's other doctors in my area who I can go to.

I'll give the cervical check crowd a ring on my next day off :) cant make calls in work and didn't think to ring them yesterday after the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Yeah you definitely shouldn't be charged a normal consultation fee for the cervical check smear. 100% not.

Thanks! Glad I know for sure now. It was annoying enough waiting til after my 26th birthday to get the letter in the first place, I don't want to put it off any longer because of something like finances.

You've been very helpful :) thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Could I get some opinions on the mini pill please?

I used to be on the regular combined pill, for about 10 years and my general health was always relatively good. I had to stop taking it though because of migraines and ever since I stopped (about 2 years ago) I had problems with weight gain (although thats under control now) and most annoying of all I developed a sort of dermatitis on my scalp that doesn't react to any treatment, its only on certain bits of my scalp but those areas are now starting to thin and I have a small bald patching starting to form! I've always had long shiny, thick hair and I only developed this issue once I stopped taking the pill. My periods are also terribly painful and my cycles are quite long.

I had wanted to stay off any hormonal contraception to try and be more "natural" but to be honest, my day to day health seemed better with the hormones.

I think I might go to the doc and see if I can try it out.

I think I'm hoping that the fact that I only ever had positive side effects from the combined pill, gives me a good chance of not getting too many negative side effects from the mini pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I got the arm implant contraceptive for (almost) free on the Medical Card, I just had to pay the 2.50euro prescription fee in the chemist, doctor's appointment and insertion was free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I thought some of you ladies might get a laugh out of this.
    I got my letter for my second free smear last week. I was going to my GP today for another matter so brought the letter with me, thinking she would schedule it for next week with the nurse in the main clinic. So anyway, I produced the letter for the free smear and she said "oh the nurse can do that when we're finished here, save you driving back out here again" (I'm not supposed to be driving too much at the moment). My GP nipped out to the nurse to let her know and then came back in and we finished up our appointment. When I was finished with my GP I popped into the nurse and she said "Are you sure you want to do this today? There's no problem if you'd prefer another day" but she said it in a "did you come prepared for someone to be looking at your lady parts considering you didn't actually have an appointment for this today?" :pac: It made me laugh, her wondering if she'd need a hedge trimmers to get in there :pac:
    Thankfully all was well with the lady garden :D

Also, how long do the free smears continue for? I'd imagine it's until around menopause time but could be wrong?

Frigga_92 wrote: »
    Also, how long do the free smears continue for? I'd imagine it's until around menopause time but could be wrong?

It's available to women between the ages of 25 and 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

It's available to women between the ages of 25 and 60.

Thanks, does it continue every 3 years until your 60th birthday?

• Advertisement

Frigga_92 wrote: »
    Thanks, does it continue every 3 years until you're 60th birthday?

It's every 3 years between the age of 25 to 44 and every 5 years after that.

Advertisement