Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

MrWalsh wrote: »
    we will manage (although Im allergic to latex!)

Not what you were asking about but there are lots of latex free condoms out now. Skyns are pretty good. They do a few different varieties now. All latex free. Sell them in most Boots. Often on a two packs for the price of one deal too, which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I came off of it for six months a few years ago.

Went back to my normal, pill free cycle also. My pill free cycle could be a period lasting a fortnight, then another one a week later. But it didn't get any worse and neither did my hormones, thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

OneOfThem wrote: »
    Not what you were asking about but there are lots of latex free condoms out now. Skyns are pretty good. They do a few different varieties now. All latex free. Sell them in most Boots. Often on a two packs for the price of one deal too, which is nice.

Am happy for all comments.

Ive tried them in the past but the lack of latex has my hubby making comments about it like wearing a crisp bag and the like :)

Im not too pushed on that side of things, we will manage for 6 weeks Im sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Ive tried them in the past but the lack of latex has my hubby making comments about it like wearing a crisp bag and the like :)

Had the same experience, had to switch to anal and oral... Not necessarily a bad thing!

Had the same experience, had to switch to anal and oral... Not necessarily a bad thing!

Thats it, Im sure we can be inventive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Thats it, Im sure we can be inventive.

Having said that, if you do take the anal route make sure to follow guidance re: cleanliness and lubrication

Did any of ye lose weight?

Its so long since Ive not been on a pill Ive vague hopes of some weight simply melting away.....

They used to be not great. Much better now. Give Skyns a go. They use a different material to previous non-latex condoms. Miles better. I actually far prefer them to any latex condoms I've used. Wouldn't switch back.

OneOfThem wrote: »
    They used to be not great. Much better now. Give Skyns a go. They use a different material to previous non-latex condoms. Miles better. I actually far prefer them to any latex condoms I've used. Wouldn't switch back.

Im allergic to silicone too so Im reluctant.

Maybe I should tape one to my leg or something and see do I develop a contact allergy.....

Im allergic to silicone too so Im reluctant.

Maybe I should tape one to my leg or something and see do I develop a contact allergy.....

There not silicone either. They're made from a polymer called Polyisoprene, the main constituent of natural rubber.

(I promise I don't work for the aforementioned company or have been compensated in any way for my posts, reading these posts have not effected your statutory rights.)

Actually on topic, my girlfriend came off cerazette just recently (couple of months ago I think). Haven't noticed any major mood differences, or weight loss or gain, periods have just reverted to how they were before she went on it. But might effect different people differently. Hormones be crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 feamainn

I'm 18 and my doctor convinced me to go on the pill. I was feeling okay about it but then I read the side affects. One of them is acne. I used to have acne and I really really really do not want that to come back. Also weight gain? I can not cope with the idea of gainig weight, I will genuinely have a mental breakdown if I gain weight ...I would rather just stop having sex than deal with weight gain. I'm really worried to go on this pill now :/

Has anybody who has been on yasminelle experienced these side effects? If so is the acne bad? Is the weight gain much? I'm really scared!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

feamainn wrote: »
    I'm 18 and my doctor convinced me to go on the pill.

Do you not want to go on the pill?

fits wrote: »
    Do you not want to go on the pill?

I was too scared to go on it because some of my friends had terrible headaches, cramps and nausea from it but I also don't want to get pregnant....I would be fine with it if it wasn't for these side effects though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I was too scared to go on it because some of my friends had terrible headaches, cramps and nausea from it but I also don't want to get pregnant....I would be fine with it if it wasn't for these side effects though

Almost all hormonal contraceptive had side effects, so your choice is to try a non hormone based one or not have sex

Ill check out the Skyns so.

Yes, hormones do be crazy alright. I suspected within a few months ON Cerazette that I gained some weight and continued to do so slowly but my doctor keeps saying that while the pill might increase appetite, it doesnt cause weight gain and to cut back on the calories. But cutting back on the calories didnt seem to do anything at all for me - Ive always found it easy to cut out junk and lose a few lb when I wanted, but not since Cerazette. Then the doc claimed it was because Im older and my metabolism has slowed.

Im secretly hoping that I was right and it was the Cerazette! Dont know if 6 weeks is long enough to tell though.

Im thinking this might be the time to look seriously into getting an IUD.

I am always put off because I have some allergies and more so because I worry if it didnt work out - its a big financial outlay. Plus I feel creeped out but the thoughts of something inside me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Side effects don't effect every single person taking the pill, ask your GP or pharmacist to explain the side effects listed on the leaflet that comes with the pill. (The pill may cause acne in some people, it may also clear up other people's skin).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 macker20493

feamainn wrote:
    I'm 18 and my doctor convinced me to go on the pill. I was feeling okay about it but then I read the side affects. One of them is acne. I used to have acne and I really really really do not want that to come back. Also weight gain? I can not cope with the idea of gainig weight, I will genuinely have a mental breakdown if I gain weight ...I would rather just stop having sex than deal with weight gain. I'm really worried to go on this pill now :/

Read your second last sentence, I think thats best for you. Absolutely ridiculous question.

Your 18 enjoy being young, Stop having sex - and if yo are and use a condom like anyone with common sense.

Read your second last sentence, I think thats best for you. Absolutely ridiculous question.

Your 18 enjoy being young, Stop having sex - and if yo are and use a condom like anyone with common sense.

We do use a condom but he hates it and the doctor said that I'l probably get pregnant even with one...

shalalala wrote: »
    I was the same on the mixed pill so came off it. I then also went to cerazette which apart from the spotting, gave me no side effects. Now I have the single hormone coil, levelled out my moods amazingly, I didn't even cry for three months!

I went from a combined pill to Cerazette because of ocular migraine.

In the first 3 weeks on Cerazette I found myself crying in the car a lot! And my hair got greasier. Excess sebum production.

Its all evened out within about 2 months (well not the hair) and never had a period on it.

But I have had weight gain and find it more difficult to lose weight. Ive just come off it so hoping I lose some.

We do use a condom but he hates it and the doctor said that I'l probably get pregnant even with one...

Well do you think its going to be a long term thing with this fellow? Just do your research and try to figure out what suits best. You might be absolutely fine on this pill, you might not. Noone can tell you.

• Advertisement

What?

The OP is looking for advice on the side effects of the pill, not for moral judgements!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 macker20493

feamainn wrote:

I understand that although the chances are just as high.

No man likes wearing a condom but unfortunately it has to be done.

Does he work? - if no, make him wear a condom or don't let him a near you, I'm not too older than urself but I would never dream of giving my gf a condition like that.

Put your foot down and tell him it's wear one or nothing, don't put urself through weight gain/acne to keep him happy.

not to mention that OP should be wearing condoms anyway, whether on the pill or not. STI's folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Some of the replies here about not having sex are just ridiculous.

Op, your doctor was absolutely wrong to say you'll "probably" get pregnant using condoms. Sounds like you need a more clued up GP. Condoms are between 98-99% effective when used correctly. So make sure they're being put on correctly and you'll be fine.

As for the pill - the side effects don't happen to a lot of people. Chances are you'll be grand. The pill is only about 98-99% effective, just like condoms, and is not effective if you vomit or get the runs within a few hours of taking it. Ideally, you should use condoms AND the pill.

I absolutely would NOT stop using condoms just because the guy isn't happy with them, though. Condoms protect you from more than just pregnancy.

If he wants to sleep with you, he should be enough of a grown up to realise using condoms is a smart choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You will gain a lot less than if you get pregnant.

As it happens I didn't gain weight on Yasminelle but I did get acne. The pill was unstable for me because of different reasons. I did gain weight on another pill but nothing major (2 or 3kg) but some women could gain more. It is annoying although at your age you should be able to lose it.

I understand that although the chances are just as high.

No man likes wearing a condom but unfortunately it has to be done.

Does he work? - if no, make him wear a condom or don't let him a near you, I'm not too older than urself but I would never dream of giving my gf a condition like that.

Put your foot down and tell him it's wear one or nothing, don't put urself through weight gain/acne to keep him happy.

Yeah he's a few years older than me and he actually has a really good job but I suppose I do think it's unfair the way he talks about condoms...if it's so un-fun with one on then he shouldn't mind just not sleeping with me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

OP, I hate to be blunt, but are you actually ready for sex. You should have sex when you want it and only if you want it. If you are prepared to go of sex in order to avoid contraception then I think you might be better off not having sex with current bf atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

MOD

Hi All,

The threads below have all been merged into the existing thread for womens health. Please remember that medical advice isn't allowed across boards :)

Has anybody who has been on yasminelle experienced these side effects? If so is the acne bad? Is the weight gain much? I'm really scared!
    Ive to have a surgery so my surgeon says Ive to come off my pill, Cerazette for 6 weeks before it as I am over 40 and there is a blood clot risk etc...

Im not looking for medical opinion.

I havent been off the pill in over a decade. I was switched from Mercilon to Cerazette about 3 years ago and I havent had any issues with it, and havent had a period in 3 years due to being on it.

Im not worried about the contraceptive side of things for 6 weeks, we will manage (although Im allergic to latex!), but I guess Im worried about things like suddenly breaking out with a flood of a period, or turning into the antichrist with hormonal changes!

Anyone ever come off it and anything to report?
    Tibasaur wrote: »
    So I've tried 3 or 4 different types of contraceptive pill (Yasminelle, Microlight and Qlara) and within a few weeks my moods become completely erratic and are so bad that there being no milk in the mornings will lead to an absolute episode of tears and tantrums and honestly feeling like I just can't go to work etc.

As a person I am fairly prone to depression anyway, I get Seasonal depression which I have more or less figured out how to handle and I was very depressed as a teenager.

I spoke to my doctor today and he wasn't much help, I have a prescription for the Cerazette (mini pill), but I'm wondering is there anyone else who had this problem? What solution did you find that worked for you?

At the moment I'm contraception free for about 6-8 months but I'm feeling like my hormones have gone haywire (mad spots, mood swings, migraines) and I think I need to try find some sort of hormone balance that works, but I just don't know where to start. So many options and all that. Any advice is greatly appreciated! -Also I'm only 23, I don't know if that would make a difference. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

I'm shocked a doctor would say you'll "probably" get pregnant using condoms. And going on the pill should be your choice alone, not the doctors or your boyfriends. As others have said side effects don't happen to everybody, there's no way to predict if it will happen to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

We do use a condom but he hates it and....

you might be wanting this :

e32722734b7e55c4194476ca3569b7c7.jpg

Advertisement