Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Hi Ladies!

I just wanted to give my experience of the Mirena coil in case anyone is still iffy about getting it done.

I got the coil fitted on Tuesday afternoon. It was so much easier than I thought it would be!

I had a consultation at the Well Woman clinic in Pembroke Road a few weeks ago, where the doctor prescribed (along with Ponstan, the coil itself, and Cytotec) some Xanax for me to take before the fitting to help calm myself.

The fitting itself took only a couple of minutes, and there was hardly any pain - a slight pinch. After that, it was occasional pain (just like normal period pain) for the rest of the day.

It's not even been 48 hours for me and I have no pain whatsoever. I'm so happy that I don't have to think about contraception for a whole FIVE YEARS! :D

Anyway, if you want to ask me specific questions in this thread while it's all fresh in my mind - please do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭SarahMs

I'd be nervous of getting the coil, or the implant... just kinda scares me that there is a strange object in my body..... I know I have to think about it in the near future as the medication I'm on for my stomach interfers with the pill.... I will just have to be brave!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondePrincess

Hi, don't know if this is the right forum for this, but does anyone know if i can buy Yasmin pill over the counter in England??
    I'm going over at the end of the month and would love to be able to stock up! Thanks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Afaik, it is prescription only.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Maybe this is a ridiculous question, but I'm in my mid teens and I'm going in for a laparoscopy for endometriosis, in a week or two, whats the story with hair for that? I've never really done anything with it before apart from keeping it pretty tidy, but will like doctors think I'm weird if I don't or think I'm having sex/whatever if I do? I've never had surgery had any kind of examination before so I'm not sure how it works :S Also, if I was having a hysteroscopy too would you think they'd tell me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You don't have to do anything with it. Any area which they may need to shave they would do so when your under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 A mind

Hi Ladies!

I need reassurance! I am 25, I went to my doctor today because of a flu and ended up with the news of my smear test I had gotten 5-6 weeks ago. I have CIN 3 Cervical Dysplasia. It is the level below Cervical Cancer and I am terrified! I told my best friend but I am choosing to keep it a secret from my family until after the I have my colposcopy.

I have read a lot online that it is treatable but I would like to hear from some Irish people who have encountered it.

My colposcopy won't be for another few weeks. I suffer from Panic Disorder already so this waiting time will not help.

Please offer me some information . . .I am really scared!

I'd like to comment on two posts. First of all I had a laparoscopy last March to diagnose endometriosis, on the same day I had a d&c and cysts punctured (I have PCOS) and some of my cervix lasered away for erosion of the cervix. My coil was also replaced after two and a half years in during this procedure. I didn't have to shave, I have a scar on around my bellybutton (very small) and a small scar above my pubic bone, I had to look for it, its not obvious. I was unfortunate with my laparoscopy, my stitches became infected and my stomach area around the bellybutton became bruised. It was extremely painful, my own fault for not going to the doctor earlier. Antibiotics cured it but it took some time because I had the infection for ages but didn't realise it.

Regarding my coil, I've now had a coil for over 3 years and I am going mental to have it taken out. I have been having various problem over the past few years but only recently discovered that they could be linked to the coil. I have no sex drive at all which as you can imagine puts a strain on my relationship with my fiance but he is very understanding and knows im not happy about it. I permanently have thrush and can be quite sore and itchy at various times. I'm also very dry most of the time and have to carry canestan or lube in my handbag to put on myself when it becomes unbearable:( I have lower back pain which has improved but after I got the coil in when it should have been my time of the month, it was excruciating painful. I used to be curled up in a ball on the bed crying trying to get comfortable. The main reason I am getting it out is that I seem to get infections very easily eg the laparoscopy, ingrown toenail was removed and got infected to name a few. The doctor did all the blood tests which came back normal and had to give me vitamin injections to boost me up.

Don't get me wrong, there are positives to the coil. The main one is not having to worry about the contraception. I work shift work and was told the pill wasn't really suitable for me. I very rarely get a period, just some light bleeding for a day or two and no cramps:) I was knocked out under a general anasthetic both times for my coil insertions, I hoping to be knocked out having it removed too. I'm just advising anyone to research the side effects of the coil before having it inserted, I didn't. Type in coil +loss of sex drive or any other side effects and read people experiences. It suits some people but not others, for me, I just want my body back to normal and I'll have to find a new contraceptive. I had a smear test lately and the nurse told me to get a female gynae who will understand my symptoms better than a man, im currently on a few waiting lists for various gynaes.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your laparoscopy, I was diagnosed with endometriosis but its in the early stages so it is has to be monitored

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twinkle29

I am considering coming off the pill and changing to the Mirena IUS. I don't know anyone who has used this and was hoping to get some feedback from others who have not had children and have used this form of contraception. My main concerns are the procedure for getting it inserted, any possible discomfort afterwards and other side effects people have experienced. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :)

Twinkle29 wrote: »
    I am considering coming off the pill and changing to the Mirena IUS. I don't know anyone who has used this and was hoping to get some feedback from others who have not had children and have used this form of contraception. My main concerns are the procedure for getting it inserted, any possible discomfort afterwards and other side effects people have experienced. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi Twinkle, I've had this (see my previous post in this thread from a couple of weeks ago) done and I've not had children.

There was a bit of a pinch when it was being inserted (as the cervix was tight due to never having had children) but it really was over in seconds.

As for discomfort afterwards, I had a bit of pain similar to period pain but it wasn't too bad at all.

If you do decide to go for it, just make sure to go to a doctor that has loads of experience, it'll make all the difference. Also have a friend or your partner bring you home afterwards, that is very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Twinkle29 wrote: »

Hiya...

I wanted to do the same as you...I was on the nuvaring for 18mths and decided that I wanted to get rid and got for the mirena. My GP said that nobody would fit it for me as i hadn't had children before...

Dissappointed, because now they have me on a mini pill that I can't even get in the chemist...out of stock for the next few weeks or so anyways

candy19 wrote: »
    Hiya...

I wanted to do the same as you...I was on the nuvaring for 18mths and decided that I wanted to get rid and got for the mirena. My GP said that nobody would fit it for me as i hadn't had children before...

Dissappointed, because now they have me on a mini pill that I can't even get in the chemist...out of stock for the next few weeks or so anyways

There seems to be a lot of different advice being given to women, depending on what GP you have. If you're in Dublin, I recommend the Well Woman clinics when it comes to information about contraception.

Once I started researching information about the Mirena coil, I realised that loads of women of my acquaintance have it, and none of them have children.

Twinkle29I have had kids but I had the same experience as getting mine fitted, it was a very sore pinch and then harsh cramping for the 12 hours after it was fitted but havent' had a bother after that.

candy19 your dr seems rather ill informed, I know 9 women who have never had kids or a DnC who have had it fitted in the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

I know I'm not too well up on the issue but I thought my doc would know that's kind of why I didn't question his decision.

I would go to a well woman clinic except I couldn't afford it (poor student). It's something though I'm going to look into a bit more.

Morgase wrote: »
    Also have a friend or your partner bring you home afterwards, that is very important.

Hi Morgase! Can I ask, why do you say this is important? I thought it was a pretty simple procedure?

My doctor told me that no other form of contraception apart from the coil (and, obviously, condoms) would suit me due to problems with my blood pressure. But she won't let me get the coil because I haven't had kids yet, she says that she's afraid of the slight risk that I'd end up infertile! To be honest, I'd take my chances if it meant a few years of not worrying about contraception.

Think I'm going to try the Well Womans clinic and see what they recommend!

candy19 wrote: »
    I know I'm not too well up on the issue but I thought my doc would know that's kind of why I didn't question his decision.

I would go to a well woman clinic except I couldn't afford it (poor student). It's something though I'm going to look into a bit more.

I'm a poor student too, so know how you feel. I saved up for it, it cost me in total:
    50 for initial consult (student price, instead of 55)
    180 for fitting
    120 for coil and the associated medication (using drug payment scheme card)

When you balance it out it works out economic, when you consider how much one spends per month on the pill and doctors.

Having someone to bring you home and mind you after you have had the IUS fitted in a good idea, I had such cramps and pain for 2 hours after the fitting that I felt I was going to faint or throw up. Having someone get you home, help you but your feet up and get you tea and hot water bottle makes a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I also had the Mirena IUS fitted at age 19 without ever having been pregnant.

I had to go to a gynecologist that I didn't know, and she turned out to be a real cow who tried to tell me that it would be too painful and that I wouldn't be able to handle it so I was expecting something AWFUL.

Anyway, it wasn't so bad - a pinch, sure. In fact, it was so minor that I was still bracing myself for the real thing when it was over. What a wagon - scaring me like that. Convinced she wanted me to go on something else so that I'd have to see her more often so she could make more money.

Mirena was great. I stopped getting my period. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twinkle29

Thank you all for the feedback.

Candy, it is my regular Doctor who gave me information on the Mirena when I enquired about the options for coming off the pill. I asked questions about whether it mattered that I had children or not and she said it didn't. But as you have all demonstrated, different people say different things.

I think I will go for it and hope for the best. I will post again and let you know how it goes should anyone else be considering it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

The attitudes of GPs to the coil, if you have had no kids, is so inconsistent.

At my regular GP clinic, one doctor told me they would not insert it for me but the Family Planning Clinic might.

So I rang the Family Planning Clinic and the receptionist told me it was absolutely not suitable for me, patients had loads of bad experiences with it, and the doctor definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Then I had the appointment there and the doctor was totally fine with the idea although I decided against it for now.

Then today I spoke to another GP at my regular clinic and she said of course they would fit it there if I wanted, no big deal.

So basically in both clinics I got totally different advice from different members of staff. Seems like its a matter of chance whether you get a doctor who approves or not and even within a clinic they may not have a particular policy.

• Advertisement

I went off the pill after about 3 years (dianette most recently) about 2 months ago, because I didn't have time to get to the doctor/wasn't having sex so just didn't bother renewing the prescription.
    Since I went off it I haven't had a period (apart from the pill-period straight after my last packed) which I read can happen, and sometimes they don't come back for a year or more!

I'd like to go back on the pill soon but don't you usually have to start taking it on day 1 of your period? because if I don't get one for a long time will it mean I can't go back on the pill til it does come back naturally?

Not looking for medical advice, I will go to see the doctor soon, just wondering if anyone has had this experience of going off and going back on the pill?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

:o I've an ingrown hair on my pubic hair after using immac hair removal cream at the weekend, any recommendations on how to treat it because as far as I know, I've never had one before. Can I just leave it to heal itself or does it need some treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

pillquest wrote: »
    I'd like to go back on the pill soon but don't you usually have to start taking it on day 1 of your period? because if I don't get one for a long time will it mean I can't go back on the pill til it does come back naturally?

If you start on Day 1 of your period, you are protected immediately (as in contraceptively). You can start any other time of the month and you won't be protected until after 7 days. That is why doctors often suggest to start on Day 1. Although like you said yourself, your GP will advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

SarahMs wrote: »
    I'd be nervous of getting the coil, or the implant... just kinda scares me that there is a strange object in my body..... I know I have to think about it in the near future as the medication I'm on for my stomach interfers with the pill.... I will just have to be brave!!!

I have the implant, I cant talk normal pills because of a family history of breast cancer and the mini pill turned me into a complete psycho. I liked the idea of it because for 2 years i dont have to worry about talking a tablet and most antibiotics dont interfer with it. the most painful part of gettin it was the injection of the local anesthetic and i was a bit bruised for a few days afterwards( but i bruise like a peach anyway)...+ it has the entertainment value of creeping my bf out...tho maybe thats just my sick sense of humour:D

if you have any questions feel free to drop me a pm and ill answer them if i can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Is there any way to get a prescription for the pill without having to take time off work to go to see a GP & then pay 60 quid for him to take my blood pressure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Nope! Pill is available on prescription only!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Most GP's will write up a prescription for you if youve already seen them before, just ring them and ask? ive done that a couple of times and i know its still €25 for it, but thats better then €60, you can pick it up from reception

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

heh girlies
    as the title said going for a smear tommorow and i'm bricking it. any advice on how i can try get through it without freaking out. not done one in bout 6 as last time was rough enough.

asked girls in and they weren't too helpful. last time those insides got looked at was for a kidney infection camera job thing and i fairly freaked on the table.

i know prob most women don't like it being done and feel (like one girl said to me in work) violated, but really any tips would be great.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I had mine last week and must admit it wasn't as bad as the last time. It's now plastic (no longer steel).

Totally honest I was a wreck before going in (what if I break wind etc.) but it was over within 3 minutes.

The results take four - six weeks - I suppose waiting for those is actually worse than the smear itself....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

mollybird you'll be grand, they're not that bad, my first was over in less than a minute (and I had an awful kidney infection at the time!), I just made myself stay calm, I had to have a heap of them over the course of a few months and they're grand, I have once or twice said I prefer them to the dentist :p

Just relax, if you feel yourself getting worked up beforehand just stop yourself, think about something else, the worst thing to do is get stressed about it, that makes it so much worse.

Advertisement