Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lots of black coffee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Duphalac, though be careful with the doses as slightly too much can lead to cramping. As someone who has frequent "backing up" it's the only thing that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lots and lots of fruit, veg, and nuts.

And get a bin/stool about 18 inches high and put your feet on it while you poo, it makes it a lot, lot easier. You need your knees to be higher than your hips for optimum pooping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

kylith wrote: »
    Lots and lots of fruit, veg, and nuts.

And get a bin/stool about 18 inches high and put your feet on it while you poo, it makes it a lot, lot easier. You need your knees to be higher than your hips for optimum pooping.

Fruit veg and nuts + loads of water is literally all I've been eating this week! I saw a wee video about that knees higher than hips thing a few years ago actually, it's always stuck with me!

Fruit veg and nuts + loads of water is literally all I've been eating this week! I saw a wee video about that knees higher than hips thing a few years ago actually, it's always stuck with me!

Well if fruit, veg, and an ill-considered amount of nuts didn't work then the next on Nanny K's list was a dose of syrup of figs and a sing-song. The effect of belting out a song while on the loo puts a gentle downward pressure which helps things along.

Not joking, this is my Nanny's home remedy.

TMI warning:
    The next two steps are 'manual agitation' and home enema.

• Advertisement

CRISIS OVER. Rejoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ladies. I'm in a bit of bother. What's your go-to constipation remedy?!
    I eat weetabix every morning, that works for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Double shot espresso and I would really need to be close to home.

For a slower approach, prune juice, which is not as awful tasting as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,

I am going on holiday very soon and my period will fall during this time.

I am not on the pill so can't do the 2 packets back to back thing which I have done in the past.

I have read online that Boots has a tablet called "Utovlan" that can be taken to delay period.

Am I correct that this tablet can be got without prescription if approved after a consultation with a Boots pharmacist?
    (similar to emergency contraception not always needing a prescription I guess)

Not looking for medical advice but I would just like to please hear from people who have experience with using types of tablets to delay period.

Is Utovlan available in Boots Ireland or is another brand used in Ireland?

Did you need a prescription from doctor?

How much does it cost per tablet?

Did the tablets work successfully in delaying period, any negative side effects or spotting?

Thank you for anybody who takes the time to help me out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Hi there,

I am not on the pill so can't do the 2 packets back to back thing which I have done in the past.

I have read online that Boots has a tablet called "Utovlan" that can be taken to delay period.

Am I correct that this tablet can be got without prescription if approved after a consultation with a Boots pharmacist?

Not looking for medical advice but I would just like to please hear from people who have experience with using types of tablets to delay period.

Did the tablets work successfully in delaying period, any negative side effects or spotting?

MOD: Hi there, I've merged your thread with the LadyGardening thread! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Hi there,

I've taken it. Well I've taken a form of it - the generic / a different brand but the same active ingredient.

I had a script from my doctor, and tbh it's one drug I'd discuss with my GP before taking it. Some potentially nasty side effects of it depending on your situation (weight, blood pressure, other meds). I don't think it's available OTC.

Cost wise I have a medical card so don't know how much it was.

Side effects - Mainly weighty gain. I wasn't taking it to delay my period specifically, more to regulate my cycle, but it did delay my period and I had no spotting. I took, I think, three tablets a day for 3 weeks then took a week off them. However if I remember correctly the resulting period was pretty bad (unsure if that was the meds or the fact that there was a bereavement in the family during the month I was on them). I stopped taking them but the one month on them seemed to regulate my cycle enough.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tictoc

I spent about 10 years on the pill together. The last one I used was cerazette!For the last 7 years my period lasted up to thirteen days at a time, painful and heavy throughout, and not at all regular.I tried various forms of the pill nothing seemed to work. As a last ditch attempt I came off the pill and at last I have a regular cycle, lasts 4 days with little or no pain!!

Thanks for putting my thread in correct place IvyTheTerrible, sorry I didn't notice this thread. :)
    sullivlo wrote: »
    I've taken it. Well I've taken a form of it - the generic / a different brand but the same active ingredient.

I had a script from my doctor, and tbh it's one drug I'd discuss with my GP before taking it. Some potentially nasty side effects of it depending on your situation (weight, blood pressure, other meds). I don't think it's available OTC.

Cost wise I have a medical card so don't know how much it was.

Side effects - Mainly weighty gain. I wasn't taking it to delay my period specifically, more to regulate my cycle, but it did delay my period and I had no spotting. I took, I think, three tablets a day for 3 weeks then took a week off them. However if I remember correctly the resulting period was pretty bad (unsure if that was the meds or the fact that there was a bereavement in the family during the month I was on them). I stopped taking them but the one month on them seemed to regulate my cycle enough.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply Sullivo. Sorry to hear there was a bereavement in your family.

I was kinda hoping to avoid seeing the doctor if possible as it will be a big extra cost to me along with the holiday expense but perhaps it might be best to.

I am about 1 and a half stone overweight but I have no other medical conditions. When I was on the pill I got my blood pressure checked every 3 months and it was always normal. On an unrelated visit to the doctor recently enough as part of a general checkup I got my blood pressure checked and it was still normal as usual. I am not on any other medication either.

You mention weight gain and this I find concerning. I really don't want to put on anymore weight and it was one of the reasons I came off the pill. If I take the tablets 3 days before period is due until the end of holiday as the online instructions would suggest then it would mean I would be taking the tablets for 10 days.

I would have no intention continuing on them long term and think I could deal with a heavy period once I was back home and comfortable in my own house but I really don't like the idea of spending my holiday feeling very bloated or gaining weight rapidly. I wonder would it cause this effect if only taking them for 10 days? I was really looking forward to enjoying lots of swimming and wearing little shorts and things on my holiday but I just never feel comfortable to do this when I have period. :-(

I might go into Boots today and ask them if there is any particular brand of these type of tablets that is less likely to cause bloating or weight gain and if there is a certain type but it needs a prescription then I might get it.

Thanks a million again for reply, it's given me some good points to consider. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Im not worried about the contraceptive side of things for 6 weeks, we will manage (although Im allergic to latex!), but I guess Im worried about things like suddenly breaking out with a flood of a period, or turning into the antichrist with hormonal changes!

Anyone ever come off it and anything to report?

Just to update, its been 3 weeks now and I have only been mildly hormonal the second week with no period as of yet.

However, my suspicions were correct re weight loss, Ive lost nearly 8lb just cutting out junk and smaller portions on breakfast and dinner. Ive tried this 3 or 4 times since Ive started on Cerazette and no weight loss, literally the minute Im off the Cerazette the same routine produces weight loss.

Im now more strongly considering not going back on it after my surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Just to update, its been 3 weeks now and I have only been mildly hormonal the second week with no period as of yet.

However, my suspicions were correct re weight loss, Ive lost nearly 8lb just cutting out junk and smaller portions on breakfast and dinner. Ive tried this 3 or 4 times since Ive started on Cerazette and no weight loss, literally the minute Im off the Cerazette the same routine produces weight loss.

Kinda depends on the person i think. I'm on cerazette and have lost 22lbs in six weeks by cutting out crap.

If it only works for you while you're off cerazette though, it may be worth rethinking being on it.

Kinda depends on the person i think. I'm on cerazette and have lost 22lbs in six weeks by cutting out crap.

If it only works for you while you're off cerazette though, it may be worth rethinking being on it.

Well done!

I been thinking about it since I posted earlier.

It could be that genuinely my appetite is just lower not being on the Cerazette so when I cut the portion sizes back I really DO cut them right back and I am not left feeling hungry afterwards, whereas when Im on it I am still cutting the portion sizes down - but just never enough - know what I mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I've put on close to a stone in under two months since starting on Cerazette, and I haven't really noticed any increased appetite, nor has there been any huge change in my diet in that time. :(

No other side effects, but the weight gain is enough to make me want to stop taking it. The mirena or the bar will probably be my next options.

I shouldn't have agreed to go back on it anyways, I have IBS so get diahorrea quite often, so I can't really even rely on any oral contraception.

I've put on close to a stone in under two months since starting on Cerazette, and I haven't really noticed any increased appetite, nor has there been any huge change in my diet in that time. :(

No other side effects, but the weight gain is enough to make me want to stop taking it. The mirena or the bar will probably be my next options.

I shouldn't have agreed to go back on it anyways, I have IBS so get diahorrea quite often, so I can't really even rely on any oral contraception.

Or the copper coil might an option. Works well for me and I'm losing weight fine (as part of a low-cal regime)

bit of a Cerazette rant! I'm wondering will it ever get better, I'm half way through my fifth month, had a period and constant spotting during the first month then nothing for the next three packets. Then after a few weeks of feeling very fat and bloated I had a surprise period which has lasted 2.5 weeks so far, not spotting, full period! arggh :(.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was fully convinced that after 3 months bleed free that I'd be one of the lucky ones who never has a period on this pill.

But isn't weight gain associated with Mirena too?

I'm always put off getting Mirena by the thoughts that if I've to get it taken out, it's a huge amount of money to have wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

But isn't weight gain associated with Mirena too?

I'm always put off getting Mirena by the thoughts that if I've to get it taken out, it's a huge amount of money to have wasted.

Both weight gain and weight loss can be side effects of Mirena, I have lost weight on it, and up to 5% of women on it experience weight gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

Ugh
    Its time for a smear again and I hate getting it done. With a passion.

Can you go to another gp to get it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Ugh
    Its time for a smear again and I hate getting it done. With a passion.

Can you go to another gp to get it done?
    Yeah my GP moved so I just called a new place (made sure they were listed on the cervicalcheck.ie website). I think I just rang the surgery and had to give my PPS number. This was ayear ago so my memory isn't very fresh!

bit of a Cerazette rant! I'm wondering will it ever get better, I'm half way through my fifth month, had a period and constant spotting during the first month then nothing for the next three packets. Then after a few weeks of feeling very fat and bloated I had a surprise period which has lasted 2.5 weeks so far, not spotting, full period! arggh :(.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was fully convinced that after 3 months bleed free that I'd be one of the lucky ones who never has a period on this pill.

I experienced bad bleeding with it at first. First three months, I bled every single day without fail, getting very heavy for two weeks per month. I stopped taking it for a few months, started back on it two years ago and have had maybe two light periods since. My little sister is on it too, had spotting most days for about six months, now she doesn't get a period either unless she misses a pill.

OK a question about the mini-pill (Cerazette.) Well more of a concern.

I took it first thing yesterday morning (as usual) and vomited a couple of hours later. So I took it again, and then vomited even more. I ended up taking it four times altogether yesterday! I've a kidney infection, which is apparently causing the vomiting. And it's still going on today, I haven't chanced taking the pill yet today until my tummy settles and there's some hope of it staying down.

With something like that, how many times should you take it in the one day if it keeps coming up again straight away?! :/ I guess I'll ask a chemist later today but none open yet.

I know the obvious thing is to take other precautions for the next seven days (although I don't think it'll be necessary, I'm not currently in a relationship.) But say if I had sex on a Sunday. Then got a vomiting bug or whatever and couldn't keep the pill down for the next few days? MAP wouldn't really be much good either in that case, and you could well get pregnant from the Sunday sex, couldn't you?

I know it's unlikely, but possible. And I'm not in a position where pregnancy is an option AT ALL right now! So I'm beginning to think I should just get the implant or something ... at least then it won't matter when I get struck down with tummy issues! I have IBS too and it's badly flared up right now, so I'm really thinking I need to change contraception to avoid any risk/worry about tummy upsets.

OK a question about the mini-pill (Cerazette.) Well more of a concern.

I took it first thing yesterday morning (as usual) and vomited a couple of hours later. So I took it again, and then vomited even more. I ended up taking it four times altogether yesterday! I've a kidney infection, which is apparently causing the vomiting. And it's still going on today, I haven't chanced taking the pill yet today until my tummy settles and there's some hope of it staying down.

With something like that, how many times should you take it in the one day if it keeps coming up again straight away?! :/ I guess I'll ask a chemist later today but none open yet.

I know the obvious thing is to take other precautions for the next seven days (although I don't think it'll be necessary, I'm not currently in a relationship.) But say if I had sex on a Sunday. Then got a vomiting bug or whatever and couldn't keep the pill down for the next few days? MAP wouldn't really be much good either in that case, and you could well get pregnant from the Sunday sex, couldn't you?

I know it's unlikely, but possible. And I'm not in a position where pregnancy is an option AT ALL right now! So I'm beginning to think I should just get the implant or something ... at least then it won't matter when I get struck down with tummy issues! I have IBS too and it's badly flared up right now, so I'm really thinking I need to change contraception to avoid any risk/worry about tummy upsets.

Well, according to the leaflet, you should only re-take it ONCE if you're sick. Definitely never take it four times again!

With regards to the rest, do you mean if you have sex after missing a pill?

If you have sex after missing a pill, and get the MAP, and puke it back up (MAP can make you very queasy, just to add), then nope, you're not protected. I believe, though I stand to be corrected, if you go to your doctor, there is a coil you can have inserted up to five days after unprotected sex, to prevent pregnancy. However, obviously the sooner the better.

But yeah, don't have sex unless you're using a condom, and don't take your pill more than one extra time a day if you're vomiting

Well, according to the leaflet, you should only re-take it ONCE if you're sick. Definitely never take it four times again!

With regards to the rest, do you mean if you have sex after missing a pill?

If you have sex after missing a pill, and get the MAP, and puke it back up (MAP can make you very queasy, just to add), then nope, you're not protected. I believe, though I stand to be corrected, if you go to your doctor, there is a coil you can have inserted up to five days after unprotected sex, to prevent pregnancy. However, obviously the sooner the better.

But yeah, don't have sex unless you're using a condom, and don't take your pill more than one extra time a day if you're vomiting

Yeah I didn't have the leaflet with me, only the pill packet. :o And MAP wasn't an option when I had a dodgy tummy anyways, I used it once before and it destroyed my tummy.

I was puking it up each time almost directly after taking it, so I doubt it will do any damage taking it four times, I don't think much could possibly have been absorbed!

I don't do condoms, but as I said, won't be having sex in the next week. So I guess I'll just keep an eye on things, and get on a non-oral form of contraception ASAP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

What do you mean you don't do condoms?

Gongoozler wrote: »
    What do you mean you don't do condoms?

I dont do them either, Im allergic to latex.

Before I realised I was allergic to latex I thought it was normal to have a stinging burning sensation during and after sex. I actually discovered it wasnt normal one time when a condom came off and neither of us noticed except that for me it was the most amazing sex ever!

• Advertisement

I dont do them either, Im allergic to latex.

Before I realised I was allergic to latex I thought it was normal to have a stinging burning sensation during and after sex. I actually discovered it wasnt normal one time when a condom came off and neither of us noticed except that for me it was the most amazing sex ever!

You can get latex-free condoms.

Advertisement