Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

So I have to admit I am fairly clueless when it comes to contraception. I've been on combined pill for about 8 years- it's the first and only pill I tried and I've been happy enough. However recently I was denied ordering it from online doctor as my Bmi is between 30 to 40 and therefore clots can be more likely. Now, I've always been at a fairly similar weight and physical doctors have never questioned whether this was suitable for me, so I'm unsure why it's suddenly an issue.... I was at GP a few months ago and got prescription no problem after blood pressure check, but he did not weigh me .

The mini pill was suggested online and I am wondering if many of you ladies are on it and how you find it? Have any of you switched from combined to the mini? What is it like cost wise? I'm currently paying about 33 euro per 3 months for combined one.

Thank you. [I hope this doesn't break the charter as I'm really lookijg for personal experiences, I would speak with my doctor before changing but I like to arm myself with knowledge first!]

As far as I know, the combined pill isn't given to anyone overweight anymore, which may be why you've not been given it.

I'm on the mini pill, Cerazette, and I find it fantastic. First three months, I had light breakthrough bleeding most days, which was annoying, but after that it's been great.

I'm on it about 3 years now. No weight gain, no spots, no mood swings, no periods, it's brilliant.

Costs me 11.78 per month, so a similar price to yours, and probably cheaper if you get 6 months at a time. I also get a relative to grab some for me in Spain, it's €24 for six months there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I'm also on Cerazette and have been slowly gaining weight on it which is the main reason I want to come off it.

Otherwise it's been fine, no mood swings, no periods.

Although I did have greatly increased sebum production initially, my hair was much much greasier, so was my skin, but it seemed to settle after about a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

As far as I know, the combined pill isn't given to anyone overweight anymore, which may be why you've not been given it.

I'm on the mini pill, Cerazette, and I find it fantastic. First three months, I had light breakthrough bleeding most days, which was annoying, but after that it's been great.

I'm on it about 3 years now. No weight gain, no spots, no mood swings, no periods, it's brilliant.

Costs me 11.78 per month, so a similar price to yours, and probably cheaper if you get 6 months at a time. I also get a relative to grab some for me in Spain, it's €24 for six months there!

Thanks Penny. See, I've really always been about the same weight and always been prescribed this so I couldn't understand why I wasn't now. Last October i was declined online but not given a reason and I found it really frustrating as I went to my GP then but had to pay 50euro for consultation and just my blood pressure was taken! I was prescribed the combined pill without any question at that time!

If I want to change to the mini do I just say I want to change?!

Thanks Penny. See, I've really always been about the same weight and always been prescribed this so I couldn't understand why I wasn't now. Last October i was declined online but not given a reason and I found it really frustrating as I went to my GP then but had to pay 50euro for consultation and just my blood pressure was taken! I was prescribed the combined pill without any question at that time!

If I want to change to the mini do I just say I want to change?!

Your GP should be weighing you at each check up, it's not a new thing tbh! Mine weighs me at every 6 month check up even though cerazette is fine with overweight ladies.

Yeah, it's as easy as just asking for it. just say you're thinking you'd be better off on it because you're overweight and then the doctor should weigh you and prescribe it.

Just to note, the mini pill does not have a break week. You take it every day. Cerazette has a 12 hour window too, rather than the 1-3 hour Grace period on the combined pill

Your GP should be weighing you at each check up, it's not a new thing tbh! Mine weighs me at every 6 month check up even though cerazette is fine with overweight ladies.

Yeah, it's as easy as just asking for it. just say you're thinking you'd be better off on it because you're overweight and then the doctor should weigh you and prescribe it.

Just to note, the mini pill does not have a break week. You take it every day. Cerazette has a 12 hour window too, rather than the 1-3 hour Grace period on the combined pill

Thank you. Wasn't aware I should be weighed. Ahhh!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Anyone cursed with bartholins?????

Any advice on how you manage?

Any one get any comfort from doing anything different to all the stuff detailed on the internet (sitz, hot compress etc)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cerazette has a 12 hour window too, rather than the 1-3 hour Grace period on the combined pill

:confused: Where did you get the idea that there's only a 1-3 hour window on the combined pill? With all pills, it's ideal to take it at the same time every day, but up to 12 hours late is fine with the combined pill. The only pill with a very small window (3 hours) is an older mini-pill.

Also, I've never, even been weighed when getting the pill and I've seen dozens of different doctors across countries at this stage. They probably should weigh you, but it's the exception, rather than the norm, in my experience.

I've posted about this before, but I was on Cerazette in the past and I hated it. I came off after 2 months. Weight gain, crippling depression, total and utter loss of libido... They were just some of my side effects. So it's totally impossible to gauge how a pill will react with you personally from the experience of others, I'm afraid. It's an utterly individual and unpredictable thing.

I was also told the window was 1-3 hours with most pills. By more than one GP. I was delighted Cerazette had a 12 hour window.

Although hopefully I'll be off it completely soon. Another appointment next week with my GP to see about insertion of mirena somewhere they don't leave bits of instrumentation in you. I'm still a bit traumatised by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I was also told the window was 1-3 hours with most pills. By more than one GP. I was delighted Cerazette had a 12 hour window.

Although hopefully I'll be off it completely soon. Another appointment next week with my GP to see about insertion of mirena somewhere they don't leave bits of instrumentation in you. I'm still a bit traumatised by that.
    That's strange, the leaflet in any of the pills I've taken never said the window was so narrow.

That's strange, the leaflet in any of the pills I've taken never said the window was so narrow.

I couldn't tell you what the leaflet said, I was going by what the doc said.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    :confused: Where did you get the idea that there's only a 1-3 hour window on the combined pill? With all pills, it's ideal to take it at the same time every day, but up to 12 hours late is fine with the combined pill. The only pill with a very small window (3 hours) is an older mini-pill.

My GP told me they all only have a strict window of either one or three hours.
    Also, I've never, even been weighed when getting the pill and I've seen dozens of different doctors across countries at this stage. They probably should weigh you, but it's the exception, rather than the norm, in my experience.

Strange. Guess it depends on the doctor. Mine told me it's a requirement to make sure that the pill I'm on remains suitable in cases of weight gain, loss and so on, along with a blood pressure check. even the locums there weigh me anytime I look for a prescription.

I've posted about this before, but I was on Cerazette in the past and I hated it. I came off after 2 months. Weight gain, crippling depression, total and utter loss of libido... They were just some of my side effects. So it's totally impossible to gauge how a pill will react with you personally from the experience of others, I'm afraid. It's an utterly individual and unpredictable thing.

Jesus, I'm sorry it affected you so badly, that sounds horrific :/ as you said though, you're absolutely right about others' experiences not being able to dictate how you personally will react. we're all different and tbh given the horror stories I've heard about many different pills and forms of contraception, I feel very lucky I have no bad side effects from mine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I know that the guidelines say you should take a pill at the same time every day, but you're only considered to have missed an OCP if it's more than 24 hours late. I was brutal at taking mine at the same time and I never even had a pregnancy scare. My usual GP has often given me misinformation about contraceptives, despite her best intentions, but in any case, the best advice with all pills is to take them at the same time every day :)

I understand from chatting with friends that it can be difficult to get a pill that suits the individual, which is why I've been lucky with yasminelle. I have to admit I will be nervous switching in case whatever new one I am given doesn't suit me.

Also For example the coil , does this act to regulate periods or is it just a contraceptive? Apologies if this seems a stupid question! I used have irregular periods in late teens early twenties and part of the reason I am on the pill is to regulate that.

I understand from chatting with friends that it can be difficult to get a pill that suits the individual, which is why I've been lucky with yasminelle. I have to admit I will be nervous switching in case whatever new one I am given doesn't suit me.

Also For example the coil , does this act to regulate periods or is it just a contraceptive? Apologies if this seems a stupid question! I used have irregular periods in late teens early twenties and part of the reason I am on the pill is to regulate that.
    Do you mind me asking, why are you switching from Yasminelle if it works well for you?

(Just as a note, I just to have irregular periods when I was younger, but when I came off the pill in recent years (in my thirties) they are like clockwork, so it can change).

Do you mind me asking, why are you switching from Yasminelle if it works well for you?

(Just as a note, I just to have irregular periods when I was younger, but when I came off the pill in recent years (in my thirties) they are like clockwork, so it can change).

Apologies only saw this message now.

The reason I am switching is its not always convenient for me to make the doctor I am currently with as I have moved but still work in same location. Therefore I like to order the odd prescription online- it was just easier last time! However, now they won't prescribe it for me because of my weight, even though I am the same as before or thereabouts. I was then informed that it's not recommend for overweight women due to risk of clotting so I thought it best to err on the side of caution...Although my GP prescribed it back in October also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Anyone know if the mirena coil is covered by the medical card? Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It is http://www.johnstownmed.ie/FAQ-s/medical-card-and-doctor-only-visit-card-services.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Not sure about medical card, but mine was covered by the Drugs Payment Scheme so i only payed whatever the max is for that. I had been prescribed something to take on the day too, so was dreading a massive bill. Pharmacist set me up on the scheme there and then, I hadnt been registered on it as an adult before then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

stinkle wrote: »
    Not sure about medical card, but mine was covered by the Drugs Payment Scheme so i only payed whatever the max is for that. I had been prescribed something to take on the day too, so was dreading a massive bill. Pharmacist set me up on the scheme there and then, I hadnt been registered on it as an adult before then.

It's 140 is the max I think, but then you've to pay for fitting, in my case that was another 180 then 80 for a follow up.

Medical card covers fitting and follow up, and I imagine the prescription albeit with the 2.50 fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Stheno wrote: »
    It's 140 is the max I think, but then you've to pay for fitting, in my case that was another 180 then 80 for a follow up.

Medical card covers fitting and follow up, and I imagine the prescription albeit with the 2.50 fee.
    totally forgot about the actual fitting costs! Now I remember why I was so worried about being extra broke. Having said that, its paid for itself at this stage, but is an annoying outlay at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The link seems self explanatory to me, but I'm still wondering...
    http://qlaira.com/en/hcp/patient-support-tools/frequently-asked-questions/index.php#how-long
    It's not safe to stop using condoms until after first 28 day cycle??

I'd appreciate a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Addle wrote: »
    The link seems self explanatory to me, but I'm still wondering...
    http://qlaira.com/en/hcp/patient-support-tools/frequently-asked-questions/index.php#how-long
    It's not safe to stop using condoms until after first 28 day cycle??

I'd appreciate a reply.

That's certainly how it reads. Perhaps pop into a pharmacist and ask to be sure. In the past ive been told I'm protected from day 1, however that obviously varies from pill to pill.

I think recently they did review the antibiotics and pill ineffectiveness and reduced the window of risk from the full month to just a week after the course finished, perhaps more data is becoming available and it shows that for this pill the first cycle needs to be complete to gain protection. Particularly as its a 26/2 administration, which I don't know what that means but I guess it's important as they mention it.

Thanks for the reply.
    Qlaira is a combined hormonal contraceptive, so I take a pill every day.
    The last 2 tablets are inactive, hence the 26/2 course.

My memory of other pills is that they were effective straight away, or after 2 weeks. So I just wanted to be sure.

I just found this Taking Qlaira for the first time
    If you are starting Qlaira after a natural cycle, and you have not used a hormonal contraceptive during the previous month, start on the first day of your period, i.e. on the first day of your menstrual bleeding. If you take Qlaira in this way, you are protected against pregnancy immediately.

http://www.mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/qlaira-tablets
    I'm just going to ask my pharmacist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭AlabamaWorley

Hi,

Got my implanon removed 8 weeks ago, still no period. Doctor said it should be back within 6 weeks.

Has this happened to anyone? Slightly worried.

Thanks.

Hi,

Got my implanon removed 8 weeks ago, still no period. Doctor said it should be back within 6 weeks.

Has this happened to anyone? Slightly worried.

Thanks.
    MOD Hi, I've moved your thread to the thread dedicated to these questions. Remember that medical advice is not allowed on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sorry catching up on everything, mad month and more to come!! Yepee

After chatting to my sister she was saying the coil stops your periods is this right.. Don't like the idea of this at all, as I think you need to have your period...

Regarding the pill time and taking I think within 24 hours is grand like..

Im desperate for taking mine at the same time or even miss days... With missing days and getting pregnant, unless you miss like 2 days together or something your normally grand..Maybe if you are super duper fertile..I find it funny that himself knows more about all this than I do....

Have you looked into Lyods online purplecow1977..

I find them great €25 for a six month prescription for the pill and it is easy.. You do have to be responsible and get your blood pressure taken. You can do this in most chemist for free and be honest in the questionnaire you fill out. But other than that tis easy peasy you fill out the form, get your six month prescription sent out to you in the post and that's it...

I would recommend it if you are on a pill for a few years that suits you.. I was sick of paying €50 - €60 to go to the docs just for a prescription so started using them

Milly33 wrote: »
    After chatting to my sister she was saying the coil stops your periods is this right.. Don't like the idea of this at all, as I think you need to have your period...

Only the mirena coil and dependent on the woman. Not all women stop having periods on it. The copper coil doesn't stop them at all.

And it's not like you have a 'real' period while on the pill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thanks intheclouds!! Good to know..

Not sure there Addle you do get a proper period on the pill well as far as I am aware, it just regulates them...

Advertisement