Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Milly33 wrote: »
    Thanks intheclouds!! Good to know..

Not sure there Addle you do get a proper period on the pill well as far as I am aware, it just regulates them...

Nah, its a "pill period". Its just withdrawal bleeding. Its not the same thing as the period a woman not on hormonal medication would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

really im going have to start googling...Fecks sake working today and I am bored off my nut..

I should really know more about the bits must say I have the basic knowledge and even at that tis sketchy

Very good break down I just found on line.. I love the "inda like a magic bullet" quote

http://www.bustle.com/articles/59506-exactly-how-the-pill-affects-your-period-and-changes-your-menstrual-cycle

I have to say sorry Addle I cant believe as such I have been naïve this way. just thought like sure they arrive every month and that was the end of it.. Very very interesting....... Dear lord id be terrified if I did come off it now, if they aren't real the way they have been happening especially this last year, im in deep trouble when they do happen naturally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Sorry catching up on everything, mad month and more to come!! Yepee

After chatting to my sister she was saying the coil stops your periods is this right.. Don't like the idea of this at all, as I think you need to have your period...

Regarding the pill time and taking I think within 24 hours is grand like..

Im desperate for taking mine at the same time or even miss days... With missing days and getting pregnant, unless you miss like 2 days together or something your normally grand..Maybe if you are super duper fertile..I find it funny that himself knows more about all this than I do....

Have you looked into Lyods online purplecow1977..

I find them great €25 for a six month prescription for the pill and it is easy.. You do have to be responsible and get your blood pressure taken. You can do this in most chemist for free and be honest in the questionnaire you fill out. But other than that tis easy peasy you fill out the form, get your six month prescription sent out to you in the post and that's it...

I would recommend it if you are on a pill for a few years that suits you.. I was sick of paying €50 - €60 to go to the docs just for a prescription so started using them

I looked into Lloyds online yes. Took my blood pressure in chemist & I Was fully honest with questionnaire. They sent me out a prescription (I think it was about a year and a half ago). The last time I applied for the same prescription, they said they couldn't prescribe me that particular pill as I was overweight. Ironically I was similarly overweight when they prescribed it to me in the past so I don't know what changed!!!!

Has anyone ever used Superdrug for presriptions? It says they can be used in Ireland but I wonder if anyone has had any issues using them in Irish pharmacies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I looked into Lloyds online yes. Took my blood pressure in chemist & I Was fully honest with questionnaire. They sent me out a prescription (I think it was about a year and a half ago). The last time I applied for the same prescription, they said they couldn't prescribe me that particular pill as I was overweight. Ironically I was similarly overweight when they prescribed it to me in the past so I don't know what changed!!!!

Has anyone ever used Superdrug for presriptions? It says they can be used in Ireland but I wonder if anyone has had any issues using them in Irish pharmacies?

Shouldn't be a problem, especially because there are a few Superdrugs in Ireland anyway. :)

• Advertisement

Shouldn't be a problem, especially because there are a few Superdrugs in Ireland anyway. :)

Are there?! Do you mean in the north? I got some cold sore Superdrug brand cream for £1.something! Haven't had reason to try it yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

Are there?! Do you mean in the north? I got some cold sore Superdrug brand cream for £1.something! Haven't had reason to try it yet though!
    One in santry dublin for sure anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

No, in the republic :pac: if you're in Dublin, there's a fairly big one in the Omni in Santry. There was one in the Square in Tallaght and in Limerick too but not sure if they're still there.

No, in the republic :pac: if you're in Dublin, there's a fairly big one in the Omni in Santry. There was one in the Square in Tallaght and in Limerick too but not sure if they're still there.

Thanks! Didn't realise this! :)

I suppose they have to be carfeull Lyods, another way about it could be calling into one of the Pharmacys to ask why as such.. But sure if they dont work just try what does...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ails76

Hi,
    I'm 40 and only went for my first and last smear test yesterday. It was the most excruciating thing I have ever experienced. After 3 failed attempts, she stopped for fear of putting me off. Unfortunately, she's put me off and I'll never put myself through that again. I consider myself having a high pain tolerance. I've trapped my finger in a steel metal door that required me to have a hole put through the nail and that was not as painful as yesterday. Dentist appointments were never that painful.

Has anyone else experienced such a painful smear test? Please don't tell me to put up with pain as it will be over in a second. I tried to put up with it, told the woman to just do it, but it was too much pain to take and she stopped. Is it possible to be knocked out for it? I'll only get it again if I'm knocked out? 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

MOD Hi Ails76, I've merged your thread with the one dedicated to this sort of question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I don't find smears painful, just uncomfortable.
    Did the nurse use lubricant?

Yes, they can be that painful for some people for their first time. I have a friend who hadnt had any smear tests done right up to her 40s and when she finally went it took over a year and 4 different attempts before they were able to do it. Finally her GP prescribed valium and a muscle relaxant and she was able to have it done.

Its basically your own body fighting it and tightening up, causing extreme pain when the nurse tries to insert the speculum.

The medical community see this reasonably regularly though and they do have ways of dealing with it (as above), so speak to your GP and explain that you need some assistance if its to be done.

It goes without saying of course that people should not be leaving it til they are 40+ to get their first smear, its important to keep on top of regular smear testing once you start having sex.

Thanks for the replies. I wont be going back though. Don't know what she used but it could have been a screwdriver as that what it felt like. I don't think valium would work either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Ails76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I wont be going back though. Don't know what she used but it could have been a screwdriver as that what it felt like. I don't think valium would work either.

Not trying to be smart but you'd have to go through a lot worse if diagnosed with cervical cancer later on.
    Go somewhere else if you don't have confidence in the same person but please do go for a smear test.
    There are ways to make it less painful if you are aware it will be a problem so discuss this beforehand. Don't put it off.

Its really not that bad once you are relaxed, and you can certainly get medical assistance for it.

Itd be very irresponsible not to get it done though, its a very simple quick test that saves lives.

Oh they are very important Ails76. I know not nice, I cant say I have found them painful more uncomfortable.. Seems to be a reoccurring thing nothing that is good for you is easy..

As most have said though you need to be a bit relaxed getting them done... I would be more into the herbal remedies and find Arnica very good or kalms to relax you a little..

Valerian hops also just maybe arrange a lift too and back.. I would encourage you to try again, as with a lot of things the first time can be quite daunting but once you know what to expect it can be a little different..
    Must arrange my own one again. I tried last month and all the doctors were either sick or booked up...

Its really not that bad once you are relaxed, and you can certainly get medical assistance for it.

Itd be very irresponsible not to get it done though, its a very simple quick test that saves lives.

I am very aware it saves lives. But it was not quick or simple. It was excruciating pain for what seemed like eternity.

Oh they are very important Ails76. I know not nice, I cant say I have found them painful more uncomfortable.. Seems to be a reoccurring thing nothing that is good for you is easy..

As most have said though you need to be a bit relaxed getting them done... I would be more into the herbal remedies and find Arnica very good or kalms to relax you a little..

Valerian hops also just maybe arrange a lift too and back.. I would encourage you to try again, as with a lot of things the first time can be quite daunting but once you know what to expect it can be a little different..
    Must arrange my own one again. I tried last month and all the doctors were either sick or booked up...

I don't think anything would help. I was thinking hypnotism as people have undergone surgery with no anesthesia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I am very aware it saves lives. But it was not quick or simple. It was excruciating pain for what seemed like eternity.

Did you have painkillers? Vallium? Muscle relaxants? Have you looked into changing doctor /nurse? Have you discussed the experience with a well woman clinic? Did the person doing the smear have patience and understanding? Was the smallest speculum used?

Unless you answer yes to all those questions then I'd strongly advise having another go. I've watched a friend battle cervical cancer. She's one of the "lucky" ones in that it didn't take her life but it did take all her reproductive organs.

I understand you've had a horrible experience but it is LIFE SAVING. Please make an appointment with a new nurse (I would recommend a nurse over a doctor as they do smears every day of the week) talk about your horrible experience and make a plan to ensure your next smear is a much smoother experience

Well if you don't think anything would help Hypnotism will not help as that is more or less mind or matter. So if you are convinced it wont work then it wont... Up to you how you want to approach it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I'm not trying to trivialise your pain, having had many procedures done over the years I understand how distressing these things can be but you wouldn't just opt out of treatment if you ended up being diagnosed with cancer at a later date so you really shouldn't do so now when you could possibly prevent all that.

Well said I Tasden. It is a shame that people don't jump at the chance since now especially it is offered for free to many, it kinda seems like kicking a gift horse in the mount...

I understand it might not be the nicest thing to do, but being around people who suffered a lot with cancer and all you should take any chance you get and that is offered to try and help.....

Well said I Tasden. It is a shame that people don't jump at the chance since now especially it is offered for free to many, it kinda seems like kicking a gift horse in the mount...

I understand it might not be the nicest thing to do, but being around people who suffered a lot with cancer and all you should take any chance you get and that is offered to try and help.....

I did jump at it because it was free. I watched my own dad die of cancer. I watched my friend die of cancer. I watched my brother go through and thankfully recover from cancer. I had my own personal reasons for not having it done sooner but with help I've plucked up the courage to get it done. Not the nicest is an understatement. The level of pain I suffered was equalled to keeping my hand on a red hot stove. I have never experienced pain like it ever. As I said, I trapped my finger in a metal door and needed a hole put through the nail to release the pressure. The pain was nowhere near that, it was worse. But no one seems to have had the pain I experienced which was my original question. Is it meant to be that painful? It's seriously put me off going again.

From what I have heard and know from having them done, no I don't think it is suppose to be that painful but as people have said maybe you were just not relaxed..Perhaps you could try a recommended doc to have it done might be easier for you, explain to them you have had trouble with the last time you tried to get it done....Don't be put off sometimes tis just not the right..Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ails76 wrote:
    But no one seems to have had the pain I experienced which was my original question. Is it meant to be that painful? It's seriously put me off going again.

Quite simply, no, it's not meant to be that painful, at all. Some people can find it uncomfortable, some people may suffer *some* pain, but the excruciating agony you describe is absolutely not the norm.

Can I ask, have you suffered from vaginismus or similar in the past? I mean this in the nicest possible way but the fact that you're 40 and only having your first smear and your extreme reaction to it made me wonder.

If you have had such issues then definitely mention it to the nurse next time you try to have it done. And I would definitely recommend going elsewhere the next time. Even if the nurse/doc didn't actually do anything "wrong" the last time, you're going to associate it with your bad experience and be twice as nervous about it. Go somewhere with no negative associations for you.

From what I have heard and know from having them done, no I don't think it is suppose to be that painful but as people have said maybe you were just not relaxed..Perhaps you could try a recommended doc to have it done might be easier for you, explain to them you have had trouble with the last time you tried to get it done....Don't be put off sometimes tis just not the right..Best of luck with it

Thanks milly33. I will try again, but not anytime soon. I won't go back to that surgery and when I do go to get it done again, they'll only get one go. I won't go through the torture of them trying and trying again and again. I'm envious of anyone who says it grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I did jump at it because it was free. I watched my own dad die of cancer. I watched my friend die of cancer. I watched my brother go through and thankfully recover from cancer. I had my own personal reasons for not having it done sooner but with help I've plucked up the courage to get it done. Not the nicest is an understatement. The level of pain I suffered was equalled to keeping my hand on a red hot stove. I have never experienced pain like it ever. As I said, I trapped my finger in a metal door and needed a hole put through the nail to release the pressure. The pain was nowhere near that, it was worse. But no one seems to have had the pain I experienced which was my original question. Is it meant to be that painful? It's seriously put me off going again.

With cases of cancer in your own family, don't you think that's more reason for you to simply ask for help with your next smear test? Rather than never going back.

It's likely that a muscle relaxant would help. Women with vaginismus, for example, get excruciating pain during penetration because of involuntary muscle spasms. And that's just for sex! Many women who can usually have sex just fine will get nervous and tense when getting a smear test, which makes it uncomfortable or even painful for them.

• Advertisement

But no one seems to have had the pain I experienced which was my original question. Is it meant to be that painful? It's seriously put me off going again.

I already told you that I have a friend who suffered in a similar way and that it took a year and many attempts to get it done.

If you have suffered issues in the past regarding vaginismus or similar then that may also be affecting you.

You are quite old to be only going for your first one so maybe you have built up a psychological block against it?

Advertisement