Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Taxi query

Options
  • 10-08-2010 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I'm thinking of setting up a pet taxi / petsitting service in Dublin at some stage in the near future, dealing mainly with dogs. Have been looking into it for a while and the only thing that I'm unsure about is what kind of transport is most appropriate? I prefer to harness my own dogs in and have them clipped to the seat belt buckle when I drive them anywhere but I know that alot of dogs would be more comfortable travelling in crates, do people have any suggestions as to how they'd prefer to have their own dogs travel if they were to use such a service? I'm trying to decide wheter a commercial van with fixed crates or a car with seats and harnesses would be most appropriate and am hoping to keep initial investment as low as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would deffo go for a van with crates as a van isnt as likely to get destroyed with dog hair, slobber, etc so you would be better off with a van in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I would second the crates.

This also allows you to transport animals that are not from the same family group at the same time, since they can't get at each other. Granted they should have all their shots to travel with other animals anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emer1234

Thanks, yeah I was thinking this would be the best option, I just thought that some people might have strong objections to their pets being transported without being harnessed and belted in. I thought maybe of getting a car that the seats will fold down in to fit crates if required but this option is both more expensive then a small comercial van and less practical I think. I suppose if crates were secured most people would be happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Would also agree that the van would be a better option. As andreac said, car seats will get destroyed pretty quick & you also need to think about ease of cleaning & maintenance, as pet owners will want to see their pets going in to something that is clean & hygienic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I would agree with the crates!! My little one is hyper and would run all over the car if she was not in a crate. Or she would tangle herself into an awful state in a harness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dublin_Muttley_

I'm a Pet Sitter and Dog walker myself. I have a commercial jeep and I find that fitted crates are safer for you and the dogs. And easier to disinfect if they have removable trays at the bottom etc.

Cherise

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emer1234

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful, especially from 'Dublin Muttley', its great to get info from somebody who's already doing this on a daily basis! Thats it resolved for me anyway, i reckon the van & crates is the far better option

Advertisement