Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Meter Reading

Options
  • 10-08-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

What are the chances that the meter is malfunctioning and giving a false reading?

In one month, our family of 7 with children, if you could call them that, ranging in age from 14 to 21. We're pretty technical etc, good few computers etc etc house isn't that small but not a mansion either by any means. We are supposedly using 2300 units or so a month, which is ridiculous.

Any thoughts on what could either be causing it or could there be an error? and the readings aren't estimates either!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭FortyPlusHubby

How often do you leave the immersion on? I think it's the biggest electricity user in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

How often do you leave the immersion on? I think it's the biggest electricity user in the house.

very rarely tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭FortyPlusHubby

2300 units is very high usage in one month.

My average bi-monthly bill is about 1,000 units. We have several computers on in the house. You must be using the electric for heating (fan heaters, water heaters, electric showers???) or cooling (air conditioning??) for that kind of consumption. Have you a large plasma TV that's always on?

Try this:

Some day when your ESB meter is turning fast, switch off the main power at your fuseboard. Check the ESB meter is stopped. If it's not stopped then somebody has tapped into your supply.

Now switch off all the MCB's at your fuseboard, switch on the main switch. The meter still should be stopped. Switch each MCB on one at a time, see which one(s) seem to produce the biggest increase in speed. Then follow those circuits to see what's connected or plugged in.

I think those old meters only ever slow down as they get older (i.e. record less electricity than you actually use). I'd bet money the problem is that you have something connected you don't know about or there's an illegal connection to your wires you don't know about.

Cheers,

40pH

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

+1, Meters only slow down, they don't speed up.

aplogies, its 2300 bi monthly, which is still 150% of what you're using and way to high for my liking

the showers are pumped, but the 21 year old is doing engineering and work out that they shouldn't be having such a dramatic effect on the meter. no air con, plasma tv's etc etc

meter is only about 6 or 8 years old as the house was renovated back then. I'll try what you suggested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

turn everything off and see is the meter plate still spinning. if its still spinning fast after you have switched everything off then there's something you've missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Home & Garden > Electrical

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Are the halogen lights outside left on . Have you got mains water or a water pump? Freezer ?

Somebody somewhere is using the electricity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

alexlyons wrote: »
    very rarely tbh

Are u sure that it is not always on? I did a survey recently and that was the culprit: no timer and no light on switch

Given the engineer skills in the house, one way to do this is to set up a spreadsheet with all the kit done by room

Item/ kWattage /hrs per day / kWh
    DW /2.6 /.5 /1.3

and so on.

The big items are fridge freezers, dishwashers/tumbler driers/ cloth washers/ fan heaters and the oven and electric hobs

Fridge freezers are a demon as for each minute the fridge door is open, it takes 7 mins to cool it back down so with 7 folk peering into it....

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Have you your own water pump in well or are you on mains water?

• Advertisement

Really appreciate all the replies folks, and sorry for the wrong placement!

No water well, mains water. No halogen lights left on outside at all. I'll get the engineer to do that spreadsheet, pretty good idea!

ok, I don't want to sound really posh or OTT or anything, but with such a large family at the age they are, this is the way things worked out.
    There are 2 fridge freezers and one stand alone large freezer, a double oven, washing machine, tumble drier and dish washer, and an electric hob. 2 water pumps, except one only services the attic room.

Some may say jesus are you running a small guest house or something, no its just family, just because we have it doesn't mean the electricity bill can be huge. Yes it's going to be bigger than your average house but there is zero point in wasting money, hence the need to cut it down while still being realistic.
    didn't think of the fridges and hob etc.

Glad to help: omitted to say that a meter reading each day, or ideally morning and night will help greatly will the spread sheet: mind u with 7 its probably like NY, the house never sleeps:)

The problem with the bi monthly bill is that u cant remember but if u have a daily estimated from the spread sheet coupled with an actual from the meter u will very quickly see what's happening.

with all that computing power and engineering setting a time lapse camera up in front of the meter back to a computer will get over the " I forgot to read it bit"

Long teen showers use loads of energy as does the common practice of putting slabs of drinks while still in the cling film into the fridge and then the fridge door is left open which u root out the single drink.

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Glad to help: omitted to say that a meter reading each day, or ideally morning and night will help greatly will the spread sheet: mind u with 7 its probably like NY, the house never sleeps:)

The problem with the bi monthly bill is that u cant remember but if u have a daily estimated from the spread sheet coupled with an actual from the meter u will very quickly see what's happening.

with all that computing power and engineering setting a time lapse camera up in front of the meter back to a computer will get over the " I forgot to read it bit"

Long teen showers use loads of energy as does the common practice of putting slabs of drinks while still in the cling film into the fridge and then the fridge door is left open which u root out the single drink.

That drinks thing is so true its ridiculous! Time to change that! A time lapse camera is easy, i'm into photography any way so we should be able to sort that out! not sure about the security of leaving the camera there though...

the house sleeps a good bit, theres generally someone up until 2 or so almost every night so lights would be on etc

would one of those yolks that go between the socket and the plug to tell you the draw be any good?

Sorry the camera idea I use only for older internal meters and not on the outside.

Yes the individual circuits measurement things work well, just take all the readings before u unplug as the back up battery may have died and wont be clear till u unplug it:)

I would start at the global level and work down to the detail by room/ appliance.

sounds like a pretty good plan, I have a very small and very cheap key chain video camera i got off bargain alerts, might stick that out there.

appreciate the help, i'll let you know how things go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Are the freezers actually cutting in & out or running permanently .. I have seen deepfreezers with faulty stats to run on & run up the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Conor.d2

Think of the immersion as a big kettle, it is one of the biggest consumers in a home, along with any type of electrical heating. Best to heat with gas, whether thats for your boiler, heating or even your kettle, as it is about a third the price of electricity.

Other big energy gorgers in a home are power showers (they use elec to heat water and pump), electric oven & hob (use microwave instead) and the tumble dryer (dry outdoors or near heaters)

Hope this helps
    C

Advertisement