Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Fans - Insufferable idiots?

• 10-08-2010 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Some of the griping in football forums like on this board make me ashamed to be a football supporter. It always descends into a slagging match. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that most football fans are idiots, true idiots.

This site is no different to the F365 (I used to think it was). I hate reading the comments after some news reports on there because it descends into a slagging match between rival supporters. I read a news story on F365 once and was slowly scrolling down the page to read the end of the story, trying not to glimpse the first comment at the bottom. Curiosity got the better of me (I actually like ready educated, relevant posts) and I read the first post. It went like this (true story):

"No [insert strange username], u hav a small c0ck!... etc, etc.".

I have heard on numerous occasions the gripes of 'proper' supporters (those who go to the EPL football grounds to follow their team) slagging me for not being a proper fan. I would hate to be a 'proper' fan. I have went over to England to watch all of the big 4 at some stage and I'm in no hurry to return. The ape-ish behaviour of most fans is embarrassing. It's as if they are evolutionary light-years behind most other human beings.

It's a shame because the beautiful game really is a fantastic sport. It's a bigger shame that it attracts neanderthal behaviour.

I'm not trying to stoke the fire here at all. I'm just wondering do most football fans agree, deep down, with me. I'm not a rugby fan at all but they seem to be more civilised.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

you obviously aint spent too much time on the rigby threads here then. they are as bad if not worse than this place, when its Johhny v o gara or Munster v Leinster. the gaa forum also come summer time is wicked.

sport brings out the worst in everybody as do internet forums. and for what its worth, while this place has a lot of muppets, its well moderated and we dont see half the childish crap that we see on the likes of RAWK, Redissue and Football365.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Personally, I love to wind up other fans for a bit of craic, but some of the abuse is ridiculous.

I always think of the fella in the Holte End last year, about 50, obese and loud who shouts at Defoe

" you're just a fat c**t "

Honestly, I think a lot of the time it's an outlet for personal frustration. And it's sad to see.

( cue my being flamed for not being a true fan )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

you obviously aint spent too much time on the rigby threads here then. they are as bad if not worse than this place, when its Johhny v o gara or Munster v Leinster. the gaa forum also come summer time is wicked.

sport brings out the worst in everybody as do internet forums. and for what its worth, while this place has a lot of muppets, its well moderated and we dont see half the childish crap that we see on the likes of RAWK, Redissue and Football365.

Fair point. I have never read a rugby post before as I'm not a fan but I was talking more about behaviour at matches when refering to rugby. Maybe I am unfairly attacking the football fans when I maybe should be talking about sports fans in general.

It's the slagging culture I am more concerned with. I guess it is natural. If I use a house analogy. If I own a house and someone disrespects it, I will get angry and attack back. Just the same as a football club I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

England and some bigger clubs have it bad with the type of supporters who'd struggle to spell their own name. Whatever one says about the Gaa or Rugby.. Their fans don't have to be sectioned off for their own safety. Says a lot about the culture in soccer.

stepbar wrote: »
    England and some bigger clubs have it bad with the type of supporters who'd struggle to spell their own name. Whatever one says about the Gaa or Rugby.. Their fans don't have to be sectioned off for their own safety. Says a lot about the culture in soccer.

So are you saying that sports like rugby attract a higher class of person and soccer attracts a more working class - hence the behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Wasn't there some small minor incident at Croker involving Louth fans a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

So are you saying that sports like rugby attract a higher class of person and soccer attracts a more working class - hence the behaviour?

I'm not sure you could make such a simplistic link.

Are you sure you haven't got a preconceived view and and are interpreting the answers to suit that view?

Voltwad wrote: »
    Wasn't there some small minor incident at Croker involving Louth fans a few weeks ago?

Willie Barrett, a referee, was also attacked and badly injured a few months ago.

He was hit with a hurley.

Can't remember the last time I saw a referee being attacked in soccer.

It's a shame because the beautiful game really is a fantastic sport. It's a bigger shame that it attracts neanderthal behaviour.

I'm not trying to stoke the fire here at all. I'm just wondering do most football fans agree, deep down, with me. I'm not a rugby fan at all but they seem to be more civilised.

You are right that there is a large chunk of idiots among the hardcore support.

I'm not sure you can say it's a problem with the sport - it seems to be a societal problem. Disaffected young men use sports teams as a vehicle for expressing identity/tribalism/frustration.

The sport itself is not the cause - there's nothing inherent in the actual game of soccer that causes supporters to act stupidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

A lot of people on here aren't even really football fans, they are just club people and don't really 'do' original thought, it's just defend the party line, repeat the propaganda and try and shout down differing points of views at all costs. That and continued personality clashes between the usual suspects.

It's why i've long called for seperate club forums to be established away from the Soccer Forum, the pondlife that pollutes this forum and drags topics down with the same old shiite permeate in the more popular club threads. Let's seperate the wheat from the chaff and send this lot packing, then perhaps the standard of debate might improve on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I find the discussion on this board fairly level headed, that being said I don't read the individual team mega threads that may be full of the types described by the poster above, I just the threads that seem a bit interesting.

The GAA board during the summer seems to be infested with posters with the analystical capacity of 8 year olds

Cork are S88t

No Kerry are

Up Kildate !!!!! :):):)

etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I agree with the OP. I love all football but many of the fanboys (including some my friends) really irritate me. Chanting in English accents "Unooi-tid" (and the likes) is just embarrassing. I have also find it hilarious when grown men have players names printed on their replica jerseys. IMO that is something that should be reserved for kids.

Perhaps the thing that annoys me most is when club supporters use "we" or "us" when talking about the fortunes of their chosen clubs . Everytime one of my friends does this I question them just to piss them off. "We played great yesterday" " We??? When did you sign for them?"

Its all part of wanting "to belong." Thats why so many fans resort to juvenile name calling (at best) and football hooliganism. Its idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. I love all football but many of the fanboys (including some my friends) really irritate me. Chanting in English accents "Unooi-tid" (and the likes) is just embarrassing. I have also find it hilarious when grown men have players names printed on their replica jerseys. IMO that is something that should be reserved for kids.

Perhaps the thing that annoys me most is when club supporters use "we" or "us" when talking about the fortunes of their chosen clubs . Everytime one of my friends does this I question them just to piss them off. "We played great yesterday" " We??? When did you sign for them?"

Its all part of wanting "to belong." Thats why so many fans resort to juvenile name calling (at best) and football hooliganism. Its idiotic.

Spot on, the 'we', 'us' and 'ye' is sad to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

The fence the GAA are about to erect in front of the Hill says otherwise

every sport in the world attracts idiots, the bigger the sport the more of them you will attract and they are generally more vocal than the sensible people who follow the sport

I used to be from the same school of thought but I actually don't mind the 'we' thing anymore. If you really support a football team then it becomes natural to say 'we' or 'us'. I don't but I can kind of understand why some do.

There are many incidents in other sports but you would have to agree that they are less than soccer. The segregation is a good point. I once sat with away fans in a well known EPL ground and if it wasn't for segregation, all hell would have broken loose. Or maybe it's all bravado.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I Everytime one of my friends does this I question them just to piss them off. "We played great yesterday" " We??? When did you sign for them?"

I'd say you're a real hit down the local :pac:

There are many incidents in other sports but you would have to agree that they are less than soccer.

Yes, but they are much smaller, and much less popular sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'd say you're hit regularly down the local :pac:

FYP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't think football, or sports, fans are necessarily any thicker than anyone else, but sport, like religion and politics, does tend to bring out the retard in people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A lot of people on here aren't even really football fans, they are just club people and don't really 'do' original thought, it's just defend the party line, repeat the propaganda and try and shout down differing points of views at all costs. That and continued personality clashes between the usual suspects.

It's why i've long called for seperate club forums to be established away from the Soccer Forum, the pondlife that pollutes this forum and drags topics down with the same old shiite permeate in the more popular club threads. Let's seperate the wheat from the chaff and send this lot packing, then perhaps the standard of debate might improve on here.

I used to have the complete opposite opinion to yourself but sadly I'm not inclined to agree.

There is very much a 'gang' mentality creeping into the forum and it's heading down the road of F365, only not nearly as humorous. The recent spate of circle jerking that infiltrates the threads of certain clubs is both pathetic and depressing at the same time.

I think it's going to be a long season.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

This thread is an embarrassment to the forum and the OP should be IP banned.

Pure filth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I used to have the complete opposite opinion to yourself but sadly I'm not inclined to agree.

There is very much a 'gang' mentality creeping into the forum and it's heading down the road of F365, only not nearly as humorous. The recent spate of circle jerking that infiltrates the threads of certain clubs is both pathetic and depressing at the same time.

Agreed on the gang mentality (something which i can be guilty of at times i admit), it disappoints me greatly that the MON thread went down the drain with a rehash of pointless never ending arguments, propagated by the usual suspects, which have been repeated ad naseum elsewhere on the SF and have nothing to do with the topic of O' Neill or his resignation.

What disappoints even more is that the moderating team seemingly have no issue with this, and seem to tacitly support the kind of nonsense seen in the MON thread (which spurred the OP to create this thread).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

#15 wrote: »
    You are right that there is a large chunk of idiots among the hardcore support.

Hold up there now, I'd consider myself a hardscore Shels fan but wouldn't consider myself an "idiot", in what sense are you using the word idiot?

Hold up there now, I'd consider myself a hardscore Shels fan but wouldn't consider myself an "idiot", in what sense are you using the word idiot?

Hardcore and idiot - it's possible to be one without being the other. I wasn't including all hardcore fans in that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

#15 wrote: »
    Hardcore and idiot - it's possible to be one without being the other. I wasn't including all hardcore fans in that statement.

Grand, but what way are you using the word idiot? Very broad statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

And so it begins:rolleyes:

OP s point proven in 5,4,3,2

Grand, but what way are you using the word idiot? Very broad statement.

Sorry, didn't answer that.

I'll give you an example of the type of ''hardcore'' that I mean.

Manchester United played Barnsley away in the Carling Cup last season.

The police, unnecessarily, lined up in front of the away fans with dogs and (I think) riot gear too.

This was over the top, but a few idiots decided it was sufficient provovation to wreck a few of the stalls and shops in the stadium. That's not supporting your team, that's just destruction and thuggery.

That, unnecessary violence, is the kind of idiocy I was talking about.

For all the stick that day trippers get, they don't engage in mindless thuggery (although to be fair, the majority of hardcore fans don't do that either).

Worse stuff goes on at other clubs, I just picked Utd because they are the team that I support. If I cited Liverpool or some other team, I might be accused of trolling.

I have no idea about Shels or their supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

And so it begins:rolleyes:

OP s point proven in 5,4,3,2
    The OP doesn't really even have a valid point.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pfff there's idiocy in all walks of life. Leave them to it is my attitude. I support my club in my own way. Be it screaming and singing at a tv in my sitting room or in Old Trafford. It's what it means to me that's important. Granted a few of my friends have the same outlook so it makes ie more fun. Yes i've seen behaviour of other fans of my club that has disappointed me and scared me at times. But it just makes me avoid them and look for those i get on with. Pretty much the same out look i have in regular day life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Which clubs as a matter of interest?

In response to the OP, this forum is by far the most well balanced I've found when it comes to discussing soccer tbh, mainly bacause of the strict rues on abuse etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Seems to me from reading the OP that there is a disparity between the sanitised Sky Sports/FIFAised version of football and the actual reality on the ground.

Rivalries are still fiercely passionate and football fans are generally opinionated, politicised and will tell you exactly what they think of you, espeicially if your are any way different to them. This nonsense of "you can support your team any way you want" was obviously rightly rubbished by the normal football fans the OP met, and if it hurts the OPs feelings then, well tough really.

Id rather kill myself than follow the likes of rugby where Leinster and Munster fans follow each others teams and are all great friends drinkin heino after the game loike.

Its the rivalries, the us-against-them, the tribalism that gives football its edge and makes it the worlds most popular sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I like the debates that we have on the soccer form. Just shows that people like the game in different ways. You get head cases everywhere just ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

There is very much a 'gang' mentality creeping into the forum and it's heading down the road of F365

Creeping in? Xavi its been here for about two years and just gradually getting worse as each season progresses. Most topics on this forum these days can't even develop a reasonable discussion and usually take less than 3 posts to degenerate into drop your trousers contest. Also you're correct, all this happens without the humor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Although I can never really trust football supporters that are rational amd not biased (the I just like the game types), the faction stuff just doesn't lend itself well to forums. I mainly syick to the general topics and the LOI threads, which actually are relatively cordial - at least between the actual LOI supporters, I mean.

It's hard not to come to the conclusion that a lot of the hassle is caused by the supporters of 2-3 EPL clubs basically. That's some of the the reason I avoid those threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Some of the griping in football forums like on this board make me ashamed to be a football supporter. It always descends into a slagging match. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that most football fans are idiots, true idiots.

This site is no different to the F365 (I used to think it was). I hate reading the comments after some news reports on there because it descends into a slagging match between rival supporters. I read a news story on F365 once and was slowly scrolling down the page to read the end of the story, trying not to glimpse the first comment at the bottom. Curiosity got the better of me (I actually like ready educated, relevant posts) and I read the first post. It went like this (true story):

"No [insert strange username], u hav a small c0ck!... etc, etc.".

I have heard on numerous occasions the gripes of 'proper' supporters (those who go to the EPL football grounds to follow their team) slagging me for not being a proper fan. I would hate to be a 'proper' fan. I have went over to England to watch all of the big 4 at some stage and I'm in no hurry to return. The ape-ish behaviour of most fans is embarrassing. It's as if they are evolutionary light-years behind most other human beings.

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

You obviously haven't been to many matches in the Premiership particularly at The Emirates ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Just reading over the thread again, are you asking us if we're insufferable idiots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

flahavaj wrote: »
    Which clubs as a matter of interest?

Well leaving aside the superthreads as obvious examples, this thread is quite possibly the worst the forum has ever seen and sums up my feelings nicely*.

*Note: The club involved isn't the point. If it was any other, including my own, I'd still hold the same opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

On this sort of theme I thought I'd post this about Robbie Savage and the abuse his family was getting on Twitter (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2010/08/10/robbie-savage-quits-twitter-after-abusive-messages-91466-27032152/).

Basically a person was writing to him slagging his father who has Alzheimer's. Now Savage was a bit of a **** when he was on the pitch but he doesn't deserve that kind of carry on. It's nothing short of disgusting and the highest form of cowardly behaviour.

As for abuse at matches I was at the United Hull match last season in Old Trafford. In the second half Berbatov came on and I can't fully remember but he wasn't playing too bad but defintiely not horrible. For 10 minutes a woman behind me of about 60 began shouting at him to do this and that and then she started on Nani. I turned around to her and her husband and told them to shut the **** up eventually. Pure arseholes the two of them basing their rants on opinions voiced by some of the media without understanding nor caring that their rants were pretty much in the wrong. Nani for the record was very, very good that match. Just as he was hitting his form for United

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

On this sort of theme I thought I'd post this about Robbie Savage and the abuse his family was getting on Twitter (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2010/08/10/robbie-savage-quits-twitter-after-abusive-messages-91466-27032152/).

Basically a person was writing to him slagging his father who has Alzheimer's. Now Savage was a bit of a **** when he was on the pitch but he doesn't deserve that kind of carry on. It's nothing short of disgusting and the highest form of cowardly behaviour.

****ing idiots :mad: you really have to wonder some times, brainless idiots :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

OPENROAD wrote: »
    ****ing idiots :mad: you really have to wonder some times, brainless idiots :mad:

It's a disgrace alright. Someone posting "How's your dad, I'm sure he remembers me". Pure codology. Nobody deserves that treatment celebrity or not

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

baz2009 wrote: »
    Just reading over the thread again, are you asking us if we're insufferable idiots?

Well, if it took you two reads and 38 posts to understand the question... :D

sorry, had to be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

There is idiots in all walks of life. Football is the Worlds most popular sport so naturally it's going to attract a lot of idiots. Agree about this forum and some of the posters on here who just turn up onto threads to wind others up. I find myself posting on football 365 more often than on here for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The OP had issues in the PW forum last week as well. He is just a little troll with nothing better to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

Haha, proving the OPs point right there.

gimmick wrote: »
    The OP had issues in the PW forum last week as well. He is just a little troll with nothing better to do.

So just because he had issues in another forum that means he's trolling? Bizarre logic that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The logic is, he went in to another forum looking to cause trouble, for which he got an infraction and a warning, and he is doing the exact same thing ehre a week later. Not exactly a huge leap to assume that he is looking for a reaction.

Well, regardless of what he did last week/month/year, what he says is still valid.

gimmick wrote: »
    The logic is, he went in to another forum looking to cause trouble, for which he got an infraction and a warning, and he is doing the exact same thing ehre a week later. Not exactly a huge leap to assume that he is looking for a reaction.

I'm not sure what you are refering to here.

Advertisement