Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good broadband package

• 10-08-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Hey all, had a quick look to see if there are any threads like this already but couldn't find any. Sorry if I'm duplicating.

Myself and the other half are moving into a new apartment at the end of the month and we need to get set up with broadband and possibly TV too. Just wondering who has good packages? We only need a fairly standard package. We don't download movies or games or anything like that. We would sometimes stream movies or sports but nothing excessive.

Cheers for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

conf101 wrote: »
    Hey all, had a quick look to see if there are any threads like this already but couldn't find any. Sorry if I'm duplicating.

Myself and the other half are moving into a new apartment at the end of the month and we need to get set up with broadband and possibly TV too. Just wondering who has good packages? We only need a fairly standard package. We don't download movies or games or anything like that. We would sometimes stream movies or sports but nothing excessive.

Cheers for any advice.

You need to find out what you can get at that address for a start.

There are 3 types of fixed broadband.

1 Eircom DSL down a regular phone line most other ISPs just resell Eircom bandwidth.

2 Magnet fibre to house this can offer speeds of 50Mb.

3 UPC cable broadband this has a 30Mb package and they will be offering a 100Mb package this year.

If you can get UPC or Magnet fibre go for it if not its Eircom or one of their resellers.

You may be unlucky and have none of the above so you need to find out.

Edit TV also UPC and Magnet have TV packages.

You can check out the packages on thier web sites.

http://www.magnet.ie/

http://www.upc.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

Ranicand wrote: »
    You need to find out what you can get at that address for a start.

There are 3 types of fixed broadband.

1 Eircom DSL down a regular phone line most other ISPs just resell Eircom bandwidth.

2 Magnet fibre to house this can offer speeds of 50Mb.

3 UPC cable broadband this has a 30Mb package and they will be offering a 100Mb package this year.

If you can get UPC or Magnet fibre go for it if not its Eircom or one of their resellers.

You may be unlucky and have none of the above so you need to find out.

Edit TV also UPC and Magnet have TV packages.

You can check out the packages on thier web sites.

http://www.magnet.ie/

http://www.upc.ie/

There is always the option of mobile broadband available. So long as you have coverage though :) P.S Mobile Broadband is not real broadband and should be your last resort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Yeah I'm trying to avoid mobile broadband to be honest. Had it before and really didn't like it. I'm gonna check out the student offers that UPC are supposedly doing and see how they work out.

Yeah I'm trying to avoid mobile broadband to be honest. Had it before and really didn't like it. I'm gonna check out the student offers that UPC are supposedly doing and see how they work out.

UPC are doing a student offer??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's a really good deal when you consider it's free for 3 months during the summer (assuming you're still there). :)

i was looking at it to start with and saw that the student deal monthly cost was actually slightly higher than the non-student one and i was about to cry foul till I noticed the 3 free summer months thing in the details which is great, fair play to them.

if you're living away from home, then it might be worth throwing in the basic phone package for 6 quid a month (it might have gone up to €7.75 now, not 100% sure) just for phoning home etc.

Thats not really a great student offer at all. As a student you kinda want cheap so can have extra money for other stuff not to be paying more then the standard package. :P
    Upc are brilliant though. I have the 5 meg package and this is what I get. 912089911.png
    Everything works smoothly from skype to online gaming. Youtube vids never buffer even the hd vids :D nd I do Large file downloads and they are quite fast as well. I would definitely recommend them! :D

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    Thats not really a great student offer at all. As a student you kinda want cheap so can have extra money for other stuff not to be paying more then the standard package. :P
    read my previous post.

with the student offer you get it for 12 months, but its for free for june, july & august.

if you're a student living at home, it's great value for 12 months worth of broadband and tv for a couple of euro more than the standard price per month if you don't have to pay for it for 3 months of the year.

actually, even if you're not using it for those 3 months it's still better value than you'd get anywhere else because at least you're not still having to pay for it like you would with sky & eircom etc.

vibe666 wrote: »
    read my previous post.

with the student offer you get it for 12 months, but its for free for june, july & august.

if you're a student living at home, it's great value for 12 months worth of broadband and tv for a couple of euro more than the standard price per month if you don't have to pay for it for 3 months of the year.

actually, even if you're not using it for those 3 months it's still better value than you'd get anywhere else because at least you're not still having to pay for it like you would with sky & eircom etc.

Yea but June and July are finished and were nearly half way though August so right now it's not that great of an offer but if you were signing up before June it is.

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    Yea but June and July are finished and were nearly half way though August so right now it's not that great of an offer but if you were signing up before June it is.
    it doesn't matter when you sign up, 12 months is still a whole year, it just means get your free months at the end instead of at the beginning.

it's a 12 month contract either way so you're not losing out no matter when you sign up.

• Advertisement

I don't think the student package is actually more expensive per month than the regular price, for me anyway, because of this:
    Price shown is when added to an existing TV connection. Otherwise a Fibre Power Broadband Standalone Charge of €7.75 a month applies.

which brings the per month price up to the same as the student price, unless you already have a TV connection.

So Spooky1666 you'd recommend the 5mg broadband then would you? I was thinking of going for the 15mg package just to be sure but if the 5mg works that well then it's all I need.

I don't think the student package is actually more expensive per month than the regular price, for me anyway, because of this:

which brings the per month price up to the same as the student price, unless you already have a TV connection.

So Spooky1666 you'd recommend the 5mg broadband then would you? I was thinking of going for the 15mg package just to be sure but if the 5mg works that well then it's all I need.

I would recommend it. I used to play World of Warcraft and I play COD 6 and everything goes great most of the time( You can always expect some connection loses when playing online because not everyone's connection is perfect. ) It's was always very reliable for me. I would recommend you to go on the 5mb package first and if it's not up to scratch for your needs upgrade to the 15mb package. There is no charge for the upgrade as if you ever decide to downgrade you have to pay a 15 euro downgrade fee. As for youtube it never buffers for me. I'm streaming music from youtube now while i'm on boards :) If you got anymore questions feel free to ask. :D

Cheers for that Spooky. I wasn't aware that you didn't have to pay to upgrade so I think I'll go for the 5mg and see how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 powell

Just wanted to say these very articulate threads have answered all my questions concerning my query on broadband and phone.

Excellent job and thanks!

No problem guys :) glad to be of help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 XxjustepicxX

Do u guys know how i can get a co-axial cable onto my house they bypassed me im in their area which is covered my neighbours have it they bypassed me omg
    ny help plz

Advertisement