Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackpool FC

• 10-08-2010 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

bloomfield.jpg&t=1

With the season a mere few days away, Ian Holloway's men have apparently failed in the recruitment of over 40 players. They'll be desperate to not just make up the numbers. I was delighted for them when they managed the unthinkable and got promoted but I fear now that they could be in for a torrid time this season. If they hit double figures on the points board I'll eat my hat. What Holloway did last season was really incredible. He took a team of barely average players to glory, playing some fantastic stuff in the process.

Their squad for the opening weekend looks like this.

5agww.jpg

They've been linked with a few names like Marlon Harewood and Robert Koren on free transfers but that doesn't even come close to what they'll require to even put up a fight. With an apparent 10k p/w cap on wages, those signings are even unlikely. Blackpool FC are the ultimate underdog in sport and I wish them all the look in the world this coming season.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think everyone is going to be rooting for them this year. I cant wait to see Ian Holloways interviews much more regularly, the man is a comedy genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

bring back wes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Melion wrote: »
    I think everyone is going to be rooting for them this year. I cant wait to see Ian Holloways interviews much more regularly, the man is a comedy genius.
    Some golden quotes alright. This one being my favourite.
    To put it in gentleman's terms, if you've been out for a night and you're looking for a young lady and you pull one, you've done what you set out to do. We didn't look our best today but we've pulled.

Some weeks the lady is good looking and some weeks they're not. Our performance today would have been not the best looking bird but at least we got her in the taxi.

She may not have been the best looking lady we ended up taking home but it was still very pleasant and very nice, so thanks very much and let's have coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing Holloway and all but man are they going to struggle.They done excellent to promote last year bbut havent been able to build and players like Marlon harewood and Sylvestre(ex-Barcelona trainee!!?) hardly look decent enough to make any difference.

I am looking forward to seeing Charlie adam though,without him last year they wouldnt have got anywhere near the playoffs let alone promotion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

This is going to be bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Doomed without Seamie tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Melion wrote: »

I won't I'm backed them at 5/6 to finish bottom :D

Seriously their squad is so small, that's almost the main thing. I don't know much about the quality of their players other than their star striker Ormerod didn't really cut it at Southampton when they were in the Prem, and their main exciting flair player, Adam, wasn't good enough for Rangers. I have a mate who's a Rangers fan and he says he really isn't all that good and there's quite a few examples of players who have excelled in the Championship after failing in the SPL.

But when you have such a tiny squad, with the added physical demands of the Prem, things are going to be even harder, so hopefully the bet should come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trouble on the seafront already

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/11/ian-holloway-blackpool
    The Blackpool manager, Ian Holloway, was reported to be in dispute with his chairman, Karl Oyston, over transfer funds and the Seasiders had been forced to act swiftly to stop the 47-year-old from walking out on the newly promoted Premier League club.

Holloway was reported to have missed training and returned home to Bristol after Blackpool were in danger of missing out on Marlon Harewood, who was offered more money by the League One club Huddersfield, according to the Daily Mail. The club's salary ceiling of £10,000 a week has meant that the Ipswich striker Jon Stead and Rob Hulse of Derby have rejected Blackpool's advances.

They have however completed a quartet of signings this morning.

From SSN:
    Blackpool manager Ian Holloway has finally added to his squad ahead of the Premier League season by signing four players.

Holloway has encountered frustration in his efforts to bring in fresh faces following promotion to the top flight, but has now secured deals for Craig Cathcart, Ludovic Sylvestre, Elliot Grandin and Malaury Martin.

Cathcart arrives at Bloomfield Road from Manchester United for an undisclosed fee and has signed a three-year contract, with the option of a further 12 months.

The defender failed to make a first-team appearance for United and spent loan spells at Plymouth Argyle and Watford over the past two seasons.

He is joined on the coast by Sylvestre after the midfielder accepted a two-year deal, with the option of another year, to move from Mlada Boleslav.

The former Barcelona youngster also joins Blackpool for an undisclosed fee after playing in the Czech Republic with Boleslav and Sparta Prague.

French midfielder Martin has earned a one-year contract with Holloway's side after the former Monaco youth impressed on trial in pre-season.

And the signings are completed by the capture of Grandin, with the French winger joining on a two-year contract, with the option of a further 12 months, from CSKA Sofia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

To be honest I think they're absolutely right to be capping the wages at 10k per week and not going mad signing players left right and centre. Give the lads that got them there a chance to play in the Premier League and look at this season as a bonus; let themselves and the fans enjoy it insofar as possible - how many of them will have played at Emirates/Old Trafford/Anfield before?

They'll get a huge financial boost from this season which allied to their parachute payments should see them in good stead and challenging for promotion again next season if they go down as is likely. They've already improved the stadium for example; that type of capital investment is what you want, not splashing the cash on your typical relegation candidate mercenaries [yes Nigel Quashie I'm looking at you]. They do well to spend it on the stadium; youth set up and keeping Holloway no matter what.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    To be honest I think they're absolutely right to be capping the wages at 10k per week and not going mad signing players left right and centre. Give the lads that got them there a chance to play in the Premier League and look at this season as a bonus; let themselves and the fans enjoy it insofar as possible - how many of them will have played at Emirates/Old Trafford/Anfield before?

They'll get a huge financial boost from this season which allied to their parachute payments should see them in good stead and challenging for promotion again next season if they go down as is likely. They've already improved the stadium for example; that type of capital investment is what you want, not splashing the cash on your typical relegation candidate mercenaries [yes Nigel Quashie I'm looking at you]. They do well to spend it on the stadium; youth set up and keeping Holloway no matter what.
    Good point. As far as I know they'll get instalments over the next four years after they go down (presuming they do of course). If they can put themselves in a position where they're one of the favourites to go up the next time then that will be a testimony to the club. Nevertheless, they could lose by some cricket scores this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

i think the 'wackiness' will wear off holloway after an entire season. he's an ok manager, but his soundbites can get a bit tiresome

they'll get beat out the gate if they dont sign more experienced players.
    And people can talk in a condascending way, saying isnt it great for them, they'll be at big stadiums, wont it be great for the fans etc.
    Players want to win, thats the bottom line. No player wants to play 38 league games and lose around 30 of them. No fan wants to spend £400 quid on watching their team lose every week.

what will it do to the players, if he brings through a kid and he ends up being way out of depth? It could ruin his confidence before he even starts.

Im not saying go out and spend massive money, but they need to spend at least some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Possibly the worst squad to grace the Premier League since its inception, though I'd still rate Swindon in 1994 as worse.

They'll make a few friends through pity, get hammered left, right and centre, and drift off to obscurity Barnsley style.

I won't be rooting for them. Save the romance for the cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Possibly the worst squad to grace the Premier League since its inception, though I'd still rate Swindon in 1994 as worse.

They'll make a few friends through pity, get hammered left, right and centre, and drift off to obscurity Barnsley style.

I won't be rooting for them. Save the romance for the cups.

What about Derby County a couple of years ago? Still, knowing our luck they'll beat us this season..... again.

That_Guy wrote: »
    What about Derby County a couple of years ago? Still, knowing our luck they'll beat us this season..... again.
    They took 4 points off ye didn't they? :pac:

Voltwad wrote: »
    They took 4 points off ye didn't they? :pac:

Shaddup.

Yeah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Any club with Jason Euell as club captain is in serious trouble imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

1-0 Blackpool - Taylor-Fletcher

G'wan the Pool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

1-0 up against Wigan, nice goal too, they robbed possession and broke quickly.

Taylor-Fletcher goal declared offside, looked good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Yes, they have probably the worst squad to grace the Premiership and will more than likely get relegated but they are the complete underdog team. No-one expected them to get promoted last season and they got it. Now, it's their real time to celebrate today. If Chelsea don't hammer West Brom, this little club will be top of the Premiership tonight. Who cares if it's the first weekend back, they absolutely dominated Wigan today.

Congrats to them!!:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

With the season a mere few days away, Ian Holloway's men have apparently failed in the recruitment of over 40 players. They'll be desperate to not just make up the numbers. I was delighted for them when they managed the unthinkable and got promoted but I fear now that they could be in for a torrid time this season. If they hit double figures on the points board I'll eat my hat. What Holloway did last season was really incredible. He took a team of barely average players to glory, playing some fantastic stuff in the process.

Only 7 more points from a possible 111 to go. What type of hat will it be? With or without fries?

2-1 up against Fulham.

Turned it on just before Blackpool's first. Delighted for them!

[cliche]Home games will be key[/cliche]

2-2 - Etuhu

:(

36 points has been enough for survival in the last few season. Blackpool only needing 32 more points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Sorry for the bump but....

The current table
    2zi6ikg.jpg

So Volt, what type of hat will you be eating??

Something tangerine flavoured no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

[cliche]Home games will be key[/cliche]

3 away wins so far this season!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

They realy have been brilliant, playing football the right way and having a go at every team they play.

I still think they'll go down though, squad size could kill them as the season progresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

They deserve a lot of credit. 3 away wins over the course of the season would probably have been acceptable but three within the first 10 games of the season has been fantastic.

In addition they have played liverpool, chelsea and arsenal away.

It may prove to be a Burnley like season but we'll just have to wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Quoted for truth!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hard to look past them for the title :pac:

No but in all seriousness they are proving to be a decent team that have the capabilities of surviving relegation. If they were to pick up say 25 points by the halfway point of the season I would say they're safe.

Charlie Adam is great but they will need DJ Campbell to repeat his form from last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

No reason why they won't stay up, they are playing better stuff than alot of teams in the league this year, i.e Liverpool.

Also if they can keep Adams injury free, he is a big player for them and have been really impressed with him, hard to see why the Gers wanted him out asap. Keep it up Ollie, loving Blackpool this year.

• Advertisement

I like Blackpool.

They have a manager who has balls and lets his players play the game.

A breath of fresh air to the premiership tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Four years later and nothing has changed, well it has - things have got worse.

The club are 2 weeks from the new Championship season and have 8 players on the books, plus some kids on trial. The primary board members (Karl Oyston and Valeri Belokon) are at war with each other, the manager is at war with Oyston.

http://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/team/

Read a post on reddit about the whole thing recently - http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/2a2bf7/this_is_blackpools_current_squad_the_championship/ciqz6sb

The Oystons seem to be horrible people. Exactly why my club being owned by one/two guys with that much power scares me.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Really good article on the state of the club here: http://www.football365.com/faves/9392520/Blackpool-A-Farce-That-Is-No-Longer-Funny

Feel bad for the fans. Does anyone know what happens if they can't register a squad that meets the requirements by the start of the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two players signed today subject to usual T&Cs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Anyone wishing to cash in on their demise can back Nottingham Forest at home vs. Blackpool @ 4/6 for the first game of the season. I cannot see that being the price in 10 days time. Even if they buy a few lads they can't make them gel that quickly. This looks like a "fill yer boots" opportunity. This price is on an early PP coupon currently in the shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

jacool wrote: »
    Anyone wishing to cash in on their demise can back Nottingham Forest at home vs. Blackpool @ 4/6 for the first game of the season. I cannot see that being the price in 10 days time. Even if they buy a few lads they can't make them gel that quickly. This looks like a "fill yer boots" opportunity. This price is on an early PP coupon currently in the shops.

I highlighted the same over on the betting forum a couple of weeks ago.

Forest are 1/3 and 1/4 with most firms now (including Paddy Power) and a best priced 2/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

jacool wrote: »

Paddies have Forest at 1/4

Edit see you say coupon in the shop, the odds are indictive as far as I know so you get the final odds with the exception of the multi pick odds they do on the coupon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Just had a look at their site earlier.....8 players under contract, how has Oyston let it happen?????:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

picked up a Boyles coupon yesterday saying 8/13. might try today to see what happens.
    they've signed a few more now, but still no keeper.
    and now Genk are looking at their manager !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can't wait for the 0-0 draw

Advertisement