Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who should City keep - Hart or Given

• 10-08-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

With neither wanting to sit on the bench the race is on to be City's goalie. Who do you reckon they should keep. It would be harsh on Given to drop him due to injury but he is 34 whereas Hart is in his early 20's. If I had to get rid of one it would be Given purely because of age. They are very similar in quality but Hart has 15 yrs ahead of him whereas Given only a few. Wenger would be happy with that too.

Who would you keep? 65 votes

Hart
    0%
    Given
    100%
    SickBoyTelgerePHBThanx 4 The FishNeil3030Pepe LeFritsDempseyChongparasiteSoulessziggyapplehunterChardee MacDennisOtaconwhatawasterTheDocdor83#15Mr Magnoliatolosenc 65 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Given
    I think Hart is the better choice, ive never seen the fascination with Given though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Obviously Given.
    Hart's a decent keeper but he could yet turn out to be less than world calss.
    Given hasn't played for massive clubs but he's always been an outstanding keeper and he saved City more than a couple of blushes last season. I personally hope he leaves City as he could get regular football at Arsenal a club with a great coach and a good approach to the game.
    The fact that City are even considering leaving one of the very few world class keppers in the Premier league on the bench should be enough for him to be getting out of there straight away.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Given
    It's a good problem for City to have as both are in the top 5 in the league at least (with Reina being no1 by a distance).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Van der saar is 40 soon, Given has 4 good years at least in him if he keeps off the hookers and cocaine.

Plus city are gazzilionaires and dont need rid of anyone. Hart is a fantastic replacement but i would have Given every day of the week in front of Hart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Given
    I've gone for Hart but thats thinking in the long term,if I knew Hart would play understudy to Given for one more season then I think Given should be this season's Number 1 but it aint to be.

Just one of the many pickles we will find ourselves in this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

isnt there enough games for both keepers? given for premier league, Hart for everything else.

Given
    corcaigh07 wrote: »
    isnt there enough games for both keepers? given for premier league, Hart for everything else.

They both want to be first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Melion wrote: »
    I think Hart is the better choice, ive never seen the fascination with Given though

I don't know that there's ever been a 'fascination' with Given. But he's rightly acknowledged as a top class keeper, and I don't think anyone could argue with that.

Joe Hart hasn't proven himself yet, and it would be crazy to pick him ahead of Given. Hart may or may not turn out to be a top goalkeeper, but Given already is. So it's no contest for me. Even though Given is 34 that's not old for a goalie, and he could easily have 3 or 4 good years left in him yet (bearing in mind that he's a fairly sensible lad who looks after himself well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Voltwad wrote: »
    It's a good problem for City to have as both are in the top 5 in the league at least (with Reina being no1 by a distance).

Van Der Sar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Given
    Even as a fan of the blue half of the city I can acknowledge Reina's superiority. He doesn't make many mistakes (something that could have been held against him in his first one or two seasons), is a very good shot-stopper, is good a dealing with crosses (if he'd play for a team on the continent or in European-games you could say it's very good, because he gets a bit more protection from the refs), has a world-class distribution, is a great character to have in the team and rarely (almost never) gets injured (unlike Buffon). So, for me the whole package "Jose Manuel Reina" is certainly the best in the world (if you can ever say that, because clearly I'm seeing a lot more from him than I do from Casillas or others).

• Advertisement

Given

Not a chance but thats not for this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

lol

Given is a great keeper for saving and being good air around the backs, but his biggest flaw is that he never runs out and collects crosses, even if it's on top of him, it's like he's afraid of it. Hart on the other hand is consistantly decent... "Decent".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this is an irish forum, of course people are going to say given.

there is a huge opinion in england, that given is not as good as we make him out to be. he is class for ireland, but his club form is a little bit suspect at times.

hart looks a super keeper, but Ben Foster is the yardstick. he was absolutely superb for watford, but then has been a total failure when the pressure really came on, bigger crowds, bigger games, more at stake. yes foster was out for a year or 2 in between with his knee injury, but hart has alot to proove yet and needs to be careful that he doesnt leave his career behind.

hard to call really, both keeper have claims to the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Given
    Keep Hart as he's the younger of the 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Has to be Given for me. City are a club with a very short-term focus. They want CL football and trophies soon. This is not the time to blood potential when you have proven players in the position.

Being a United supporter though I hope they go with Hart :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Even as a fan of the blue half of the city I can acknowledge Reina's superiority. He doesn't make many mistakes (something that could have been held against him in his first one or two seasons), is a very good shot-stopper, is good a dealing with crosses (if he'd play for a team on the continent or in European-games you could say it's very good, because he gets a bit more protection from the refs), has a world-class distribution, is a great character to have in the team and rarely (almost never) gets injured (unlike Buffon). So, for me the whole package "Jose Manuel Reina" is certainly the best in the world (if you can ever say that, because clearly I'm seeing a lot more from him than I do from Casillas or others).

He's not even first for Spain, how can he be "certainly" the best??

I don't think we'll have to chose between Given and Hart. We have two of the best in the league atm. We're not going to let either go, if Hart wants to go on loan again that's what will happen imo.

The whole Hart v Given thing is more about the media than the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Given
    Scuba Ste wrote: »

I don't think we'll have to chose between Given and Hart. We have two of the best in the league atm. We're not going to let either go, if Hart wants to go on loan again that's what will happen imo.

The whole Hart v Given thing is more about the media than the club.

Yeah what a failure he is, Iker Casilles is better then him.:rolleyes:

this is an irish forum, of course people are going to say given.

there is a huge opinion in england, that given is not as good as we make him out to be. he is class for ireland, but his club form is a little bit suspect at times.

I wouldn't agree with that at all, I always thought if it weren't for Given, Newcastle would have been relegated before they eventually were. He was superb us last season too, and that's with a poor defence in front of him (you could the same about his time a Newcastle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Given
    I had a good laugh when I seen the results of the poll. It makes no sense to keep Given now. Hart went off to Birmingham and proved himself last season, he is young and top class.

I've always been a big fan of Shay Given but realistically he is just back from a very bad injury, he is 34 years of age and could start to go downhill at any stage.

Has to be Hart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Given
    As long as the reject comes to Arsenal, I don't care :D

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »
    Yeah what a failure he is, Iker Casilles is better then him.:rolleyes:

FFS when did I say he was a failure. Grow up man.

He's one the world's best, calling him THE BEST when he's second to Casillas is a stretch imo. Try reading previous posts before trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

While I hear the argument for Hart as the better long term prospect, I think City need to put the best team they can out on the pitch now. They have achieved nothing thus far, and are on the cusp of making a huge leap forward. Given is a better keeper right now, this minute, and I think it is reasonable to project him playing at his current level for another two years at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

eagle eye wrote: »
    I had a good laugh when I seen the results of the poll. It makes no sense to keep Given now. Hart went off to Birmingham and proved himself last season, he is young and top class.

I've always been a big fan of Shay Given but realistically he is just back from a very bad injury, he is 34 years of age and could start to go downhill at any stage.

Has to be Hart.
    he's a goal keeper not a Olympic sprinter Christ he's only 34,at 34 his mind should be just as sharp as it was at 33 or 30 or 25 etc .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Given
    FFS when did I say he was a failure. Grow up man.

He's one the world's best, calling him THE BEST when he's second to Casillas is a stretch imo. Try reading previous posts before trolling.

Actually I did read the previous post wrong, thought he was saying Reina was the best in the PL not overall.
    My mistake.

I'd take Hart, has youth and is equally as good as Given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Given

Casillas won't be dropped because he is captain and he plays his football in spain.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Given
    Voted Hart, so City can sell Given to Arsenal :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think Given should be our number 1 this season, but I don't want to lose Hart because of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Given
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

City are a club ruining the game tbh

Ireland... bye bye

Lescott bye bye

Robinho... bye bye

dunne... bye bye

elano bye bye

given...

you get the message, :rolleyes: tbh, I have zero interest in clubs run like that and good luck in them trying to win a league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Given
    Neither will want this "rotation" that Mancini has hinted at and its a case of the other wanting to leave for regular first team football.

Given is arguably the best keeper in the league but has about 4 years left in him but Hart is good with the potential to be as good as Given and has 15 years in him barring some Cech like injury and he looks after himself.

For me, the decision is simple. Keep Hart as no.1 and sell Given if he wants to leave.

To keep Given at the risk of loosing a player like Hart is madness to me but given the expectations from the owners, it wouldnt surprise me what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City are a club ruining the game tbh

I feel warm inside every time I read comments like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I feel warm inside every time I read comments like this.

Whilst I wouldn't say they are ruining the game they are becoming a bit of a merry-go-round of a club. Its what happens when you have more money than sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Given
    They're a Mickey Mouse outfit, but it's not entirely fair to say that they're ruining the game.

They're not the first, and won't be the last, to throw money around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

eagle eye wrote: »

Has to be Hart.

In the long term perhaps, but I really don't think City are thinking long-term right now. When you spend the kind of money they've been spending you want results yesterday, not in 3 years time. If City don't finish in the top 4 this season Manicini will be out the door. Personally I think City would have been better off to try and gradually build a good side rather than trying to just buy one straight off the shelf.

And comparisons with Chelses don't entirely stick, as Chelsea were already established as a top 4 team even before Roman and his billions came to town.

Given
    Given that they are in win-now mode, they might as well just go and buya better keeper than either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

In my opinion it has to be Given. He is the best goalie between the two for the coming season and even the season after that. The way City have been buying and selling players they will be after another top goalie in the next two seasons anyway.

They could even sell Hart for 10 million now and then in 2 or 3 seasons if he becomes world class buy him back for 30 million and not even bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Joe Hart eh?

One good season and he is one of the top 5 in the league.

I'd expect this sensationalist OTT English flavour of the month crap on Sky but not here.

Given is the superior keeper by some distance and he has far more experience in big games.

The assumption Hart is going to become world class or something to that effect after one decent season with Birmingham is just that - an assumption.

Given hasn't as many years left in him to be sure but he has at least three and Hart's age will be of little consolation to City in 2013 if they still aren't in the Champions League.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hart is not even first choice for an England team with a very poor selection. He could turn out to be great, but patience is not something City seem to be blessed with.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    And comparisons with Chelses don't entirely stick, as Chelsea were already established as a top 4 team even before Roman and his billions came to town.

Established?

Scraped fourth the season Roman came no? They hadn't even gone undertaken the qualifier when Roman came in.

Given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Given
    I don't think there are any stand out goalkeepers in the PL atm.

Cech has the highest potential, and is the only one who has been ever truly utterly world class. VDS doesn't really make any mistakes anymore, hasn't fumbled it in quite some time. Is a fantastic organiser of the defence and great dealing with crosses. Then again, he's had the time to get there. I fully expect Reina to be better than him long term, but atm, I'd take VDS.

I think its similar for City. Given is better right now, but Hart has the potential to be as good if not better than him imo. If Hart demanded first team football or a transfer, I'd take him as first choice. However, this is City. They have absolutely no incentive to build up their youth. Given is better right now, so pick him. Although I think he has some serious flaws as a player, in particular in terms of organising the defence and dealing with crosses.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Whichever one they can keep, teh tabloids can still run with the same headline (with a minor alteration of punctuation):

Hart-Stopper Given Boot
    Hart - Stopper. Given - Boot

ziggy wrote: »

He isn't better than Given?

What planet are you on that you could have such an opinion after one season with Birmingham and a summer full of "we desperately need a decent keeper" bull from the media across the water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Given has to be kept without a shodow of a doubt, he has far more experience and has proven himself to be a top class keeper over the course of many seasons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The obvious move in my mind is to see if Hart (as the junior GK) would be happy to go on Loan for another season after which if he is outstanding again he would be expected to replace the 35 year old Given at the start of next season when he gets a move and is replaced by a Cudicini type (really good goalie happy to be an understudy and get payed well to do so)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Given
    It would be very hard on Given not to be first choice. He was playing well up to his injury. Mancini could be influenced by the media though who would see Hart as England's No. 1 keeper. Whoever starts on Sat is undoubtably No. 1. Wenger should move for whoever is on the bench.

Given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

noodler wrote: »
    The assumption Hart is going to become world class or something to that effect after one decent season with Birmingham is just that - an assumption.

Let it not be forgotten either that Birmingham were one of the most defensive teams in the league last season ,they gave Hart plenty of cover .
    Given is by far the better keeper ,I'd rate him in the top 5 in the world .
    Hart is a good keeper but he isnt in Givens league and the only reason he is so highly rated is because he is English ,and most English players are grossly overatted as we clearly saw in the World Cup.

ziggy wrote: »

I'l fight you..

Given
    Let it not be forgotten either that Birmingham were one of the most defensive teams in the league last season ,they gave Hart plenty of cover .
    Given is by far the better keeper ,I'd rate him in the top 5 in the world .
    Hart is a good keeper but he isnt in Givens league and the only reason he is so highly rated is because he is English ,and most English players are grossly overatted as we clearly saw in the World Cup.

Reina, Casillas, Cech, Buffon, VDS, Valdes, Neuer - all better than Given IMO. I think he is overrated by Irish fans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement