Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who should City keep - Hart or Given

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

#15 wrote: »
    Reina, Casillas, Cech, Buffon, VDS, Valdes, Neuer - all better than Given IMO. I think he is overrated by Irish fans.

Not really. He has pretty much universal acclaim in the UK as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

gustavo wrote: »
    Keep Hart as he's the younger of the 2

youth quite often is a negative for a keeper and alot do not mature until later in their career.

look at van der sar just getting better and better as he gets older, david james was a joke in his 20's, i could go on and on.

Casillas is an exception to the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Given
    noodler wrote: »
    Not really. He has pretty much universal acclaim in the UK as well.

In my experience, fans in the UK are divided on him. Most people think he's good, but top5, or even top 10 in the world is really pushing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Given isn't top 5 in England nevermind the world. Great shot-stopper, stuck to his line though and his kicking is suspect.

Saying that, I'd trust him more than Hart at the minute so try engineer a loan move for the boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

good luck in them trying to win a league.

Cheers mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Given
    I wanna see Hart stay at City more than i do Given, due the age. But if we're hanging onto both Given should start. If anyone watched City games last year they would realise that our defence was laughable and if it wasn't for Given we would have easily cost ourselves the bones of 12-15 points.. If Given played at a team with a solid defence people would condiser him to be one of the worlds greatest without doubt, Van Der Sar was a great goalie at Fulham but has only established his top class rep when he went to United and sat behind a solid defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As an Arsenal fan I hope Man City choose Hart leaving the way free for Given to join us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Given
    gandalf wrote: »
    As an Arsenal fan I hope Man City choose Hart leaving the way free for Given to join us :)
    +1

I voted for them to keep hart and hope they sell given to us (arsenal). However once theres one chosen and the other is sold to us then I dont really mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I wanna see Hart stay at City more than i do Given, due the age. But if we're hanging onto both Given should start. If anyone watched City games last year they would realise that our defence was laughable and if it wasn't for Given we would have easily cost ourselves the bones of 12-15 points.. If Given played at a team with a solid defence people would condiser him to be one of the worlds greatest without doubt, Van Der Sar was a great goalie at Fulham but has only established his top class rep when he went to United and sat behind a solid defence.

Really, I thought van der Sar was excellent at Ajax and Juve, one of the best in the world at the time. You can't just change from being a good to a great keeper because of the defence in front of you, your great with or without the defence. I think though that a good defence makes a good keeper look great but a great keeper is part of a great defence. You could even take his signing as one reason why United took the league back from Chelsea for the past few seasons.

It's interesting enough though that the last few young keepers to come through in England have all had a rough time developing into world class stoppers. The likes of Robinson, Green, Foster, Carson, Wright all promised but failed at the very top, but Buffon and Casillas come through very young and are still the best around. Hopefully Hart goes the latter way, can't see us selling him though I think Given is still better and first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Given
    Given and Hart are of the same quality.

Therefore it has to be Hart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Bang on.... Given single-handedly (excuse the pun) kept Newcastle in the premier league for about 10 years. It is no conincidence that when he left, soon after they were relegated. The amount of times he has kept Ireland in games when our opposition should have been out of sight is ridiculous. He has top class reactions and his overall game is very good. I rate Hart, but Given is in the prime of his career as a goalkeeper. City would be mad to sell him and go with Hart. Hart is of course the future, but loan him out again to gain premier league experience...

City's central defence last year as you mentioned was quite soft. The combinations of Toure, Lescott, Kompany etc just didn't seem to gel and Given papered over a lot of cracks there...

If Given is relegated to the bench, again it shows City's lunacy. Arsenal does look like a good prospect and if the chance came for Given to join them he'd be mad not too. In my opinion, Arsenal have a better chance of winning the league sooner than city, and Given only has about 5 or 6 seasons left in him at the top level...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Not looking good for Shay's Citeh future after today is it?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Both !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Given
    They could have gotten a season with Harte in the wings, after today they can't.

Given is second in the EPL behind Reina for me. Arsenal played newcastle a couple of years ago and bet them something like 3, 4 or 5 nil yet Given still got man of the match; a different class and an all time legend off mine, green tinted glasses or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Given
    Given is great. He isn'tt better than Hart but he has more experience. Given has 2 years left in top-flight football IMO. Hart has a decade.

I think a lot of people are overly in love with Given because he's one of our own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Given
    ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

we,ve always over rated our keepers in this country , packie bonner was an extremley average keeper ( reason we failed to qualify for euro 92) yet is lauded as a national treasure by many

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

He deserves a chance at a bigger club like Arsenal!

Given is miles ahead of Packie, btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Van Der Sar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reina

VDS would not have done this

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/6577538/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Given
    Hart is the better of the two. Given needs to move to be played now I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Given
    Given in the short term, but if City really want to build a team from scratch then Hart must start to play regularly, it's good to see a manager show confidence in a young keeper!

• Advertisement
Advertisement