Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's a well known bloody saying, not my fault you didn't know it and jumped to all sorts of assumptions.

Hobgoblin beer is also well known, seriously you are of in paranoia la la land.

Here have another quote

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity "

In this case there was no malice on my end and the stupidity here as I see it is yours in trying to insinuate all sorts cos you didn't understand the exchange.

And yes I do expect people to know the difference between a troll and a hobgoblin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It's a well known bloody saying, not my fault you didn't know it and jumped to all sorts of assumptions.

Thae, it is not a well known saying.

It may be known, it it is far from "well known".

Even if it was, the vast majority would not even get that far as they would see the photo as a Troll.
    Hobgoblin beer is also well known, seriously you are of in paranoia la la land.

Maybe he should have thought you were implying he was drunk so.
    In this case there was no malice on my end and the stupidity here as I see it is yours ..

I'm just stupid, ah I see.

Silly me thinking that photo was a troll, I'm sure it never crossed your mind that Aidric or anybody else would see it as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the point, which i made with my post, which thaed casually dismissed as 'flirting', was that yes - there are certain posters here which are buried in like ticks that can 'pretty much' get away with saying what they like. there will always be an admin or someone there to back them up, even if what they are saying is highly hypocritical and doesnt really make sense. then there will be mad long winded threads & posts (like we see here) explaining this.
    i can sum it up though. they are 'mates' and are pretty much just backing each other up as not create ripples in the water

Yes Jazzy I dismissed your post as it was an utter fallacy and your implaction that I only have an account on boards to report things I find offensive is not true.

As your notion that I am the ring leader of the new worlds feminazi order here to push an agenda on this site and make you comply, your wrong again.

Yes Jazzy I dismissed your post as it was an utter fallacy and your implaction that I only have an account on boards to report things I find offensive is not true.

As your notion that I am the ring leader of the new worlds feminazi order here to push an agenda on this site and make you comply, your wrong again.

propaganda++
    it isnt the only reason, of course not.. it would be stupid to say that. but you do enjoy it :) so yeah, it would be one of the reasons. and how was my post wrong? it made sense. you actively do look for things to get offended about, or else you wouldnt want it 'stamped out' would you? even though in that thread you seemed almost militant in your hatred of stupid sexist posts, and militant in how you dealt with other posters (winters and janeybabe) you will say "oh im not". you can say this, but it wont mean that you dont come across that way. and as i said, you will get backed up on this more on account on how long you've been here and how well inserted you are into boards rather then whats right. if there was a new poster who said some of the things you do on feedback they would be up to their gills with infractions and such

• Advertisement

You are entitled to your opinion's Jazzy doesn't mean your right.

You are entitled to your opinion's Jazzy doesn't mean your right.

i know when im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

OutlawPete wrote: »
    You posted that photo to imply that Aidric was a Troll, plain and simple.
    I am not saying that you weren't aware that it was a hobgoblin in the pic and that you had your little quote all ready for when you would inevitably get called for posting it, but you knew well what you were implying, and that people would see it as a troll and leave people in no doubt what you thought of Aidric.

Indeed. I was certainly in no doubt as to what it was implying, hence my request for clarification. As Lolth intimated in his reply there were many others who felt the same.

The subsequent posts of Oscar Bravo & Thaeydal on the matter bore all the hallmarks of an in joke.
    When Aidric went on to say that he was felt as if he was banging his head off a wall, why did Thaedydal then go on to post a video making fun of that fact?

That particular reply smacked of the arrogance of someone who knew they had gotten away with a breach of charter simply because of who they were.

I thought she would have retired from the thread quietly and respectfully knowing she had been granted a pardon. Instead I was treated to a parting gloat.

Aldric I tougth your wall comment was aimed at Chaos and his posts and the confusion about who was quoteing whom and why, and that was why I posted the vid, if it wasn't a humourus comment from then I can see how my humours reply wouldn't go down well.

The picture is a hobgoblin it was in reference to your post about consistency
    that's it no other motive or subtext what so ever.
    Aidric wrote: »
    That particular reply smacked of the arrogance of someone who knew they had gotten away with a breach of charter simply because of who they were.

I thought she would have retired from the thread quietly and respectfully knowing she had been granted a pardon. Instead I was treated to a parting gloat.

Y'know what, the last few pages have taught me people will believe what they want to believe and see what they want to see. If I get mentioned in a thread I am going to respond, not my fault if people don't get the references or quotes I use.

I haven't been gloating but I do think certain people are sulking cos they didn't get the pound of flesh they expected and I am surprised at the tenacity of some people.

OutlawPete I have no idea what on earth I have done to you which has you acting like I pissed in your cornflakes please pm and let me know.

And Aldric I don't do sulking of quietly when I don't think I've done anything wrong and I haven't been found to have done anything wrong.

I have how ever learned that people are getting awfully faint of heart around here and seem to want thier mods to be holier then thou and respectable.

And I am with Mel and Kim* when it comes to that.

* have fun twisting that reference to suit your own ends when ever you both get around to looking it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER

There is no mod or admin conspiracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClintock_effect

Is more true. No one knows no better :/

Human nature.

• Advertisement

used to be a song we would play in nethouse playing diablo 2

Aldric I tougth your wall comment was aimed at Chaos and his posts and the confusion about who was quoteing whom and why, and that was why I posted the vid, if it wasn't a humourus comment from then I can see how my humours reply wouldn't go down well.

The picture is a hobgoblin it was in reference to your post about consistency
    that's it no other motive or subtext what so ever.

Y'know what, the last few pages have taught me people will believe what they want to believe and see what they want to see. If I get mentioned in a thread I am going to respond, not my fault if people don't get the references or quotes I use.

I haven't been gloating but I do think certain people are sulking cos they didn't get the pound of flesh they expected and I am surprised at the tenacity of some people.

OutlawPete I have no idea what on earth I have done to you which has you acting like I pissed in your cornflakes please pm and let me know.

And Aldric I don't do sulking of quietly when I don't think I've done anything wrong and I haven't been found to have done anything wrong.

I have how ever learned that people are getting awfully faint of heart around here and seem to want thier mods to be holier then thou and respectable.

* have fun twisting that reference to suit your own ends when ever you both get around to looking it up.

You were put in your place.

Deal with it.

You were put in your place.

Deal with it.

Nope just had how the calibre of the average discussion for the site as a whole has nose dived over the last while confirmed when certain sayings and quotes can be used any more cos people don't understand them.

diablo 2 was great, one of the best birthday presents I ever got was the complete gamepack with expansions ect. They don't make them like that any more.

Nope just had how the calibre of the average discussion for the site as a whole has nose dived over the last while confirmed when certain sayings and quotes can be used any more cos people don't understand them.

diablo 2 was great, one of the best birthday presents I ever got was the complete gamepack with expansions ect. They don't make them like that any more.

You have self reflection issues. Don't try and reflect them off invisible characters. /spooky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Funny how one thread can knock all of AH into a cocked hat.
    File >Save as >Boards/Funnies/Mods.
    Before it gets deleted.

The picture is a hobgoblin it was in reference to your post about consistency that's it no other motive or subtext what so ever.

So let me get this straight.

You posted this pic ..

art_hobgoblin2004_th.jpg

.. and it never entered your head that people would see this as a photo of a Troll, but that they would obviously see it as Hobgoblin?

Also, on seeing that it was a Hobgoblin, they would then automatically link that to the "well known" quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, and so understand that you were just replying to Aidric's 'consistency' comment.

Quite the ask, don't you think.

Well, if that is 100% true, then you have my apologies.
    Y'know what, the last few pages have taught me people will believe what they want to believe ..

Same here and that goes for the sexism thread also.

You have nothing to me that could be worked out via PM.

I have no hidden agenda.

I don't like the way you got away with back seat modding, simple as that.

I think you should not have told Janeybabe to "stop trolling", which I feel you did just because she believes something which you don't like.

You have been referred to as "feminazi" over the years and it is my opinion that you took her comments personally and knew you could infer she was a troll and get away it.
    .. people are getting awfully faint of heart around here and seem to want thier mods to be holier then thou and respectable.

I have the utmost respect from Admin and Moderators as they are all volunteering their time at the end of the day, but I quickly lose that respect when I see some of them poking fun at users and abusing their moderation positions.

I see some Moderators who, had they acted and behaved they way they do now, before they were modded - well then they never would have been modded to begin with.

This thread has out me in more of an EMF frame of mind tbh.

You posted this pic ..

art_hobgoblin2004_th.jpg

.. and it never entered your head that people would see this as a photo of a Troll, but that they would obviously see it as Hobgoblin?

Also, on seeing that it was a Hobgoblin, they would then automatically link that to the "well known" quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, and so understand that you were just replying to Aidric's 'consistency' comment.

Well, if that is 100% true, then you have my apologies.

Apology accepted.
    You have nothing to me that could be worked out via PM.

I never meant that what ever it is/was it could be worked out via pm
    it just seems you have some personal objection to me and if that is the case I'd like to at least know what it was. I know I can be marmite for some people but at least in knowing that I rub someone one the wrong way I
    will then try not to trod on their toes.

I think you should not have told Janeybabe to "stop trolling", which I feel you did just because she believes something which you don't like.

You have been referred to as "feminazi" over the years and it is my opinion that you took her comments personally and knew you could infer she was a troll and get away it.

I think the statement made was absurd, as there are no mythical feminazi's who go around looking at this site solely to be offended and to throw about such inflammatory statements of opinion was in my opinion tantamount to trolling. If it was fact then she could have refuted it with links to it happening.

I didn't take it personally, I say it as being bullshít and mud slinging I called her on it. I must remember that turn of phrase muck slinging if people are going to get so up in arms when I use the term trolling, even if it was what it looked like to me.

I have the utmost respect from Admin and Moderators as they are all volunteering their time at the end of the day, but I quickly lose that respect when I see some of them poking fun at users and abusing their moderation positions.

Mods who do that in forums they mod have been demodded for it.
    Everywhere else mods are posters.
    If you see that happening then got to the catmods/admins.
    I see some Moderators who, had they acted and behaved they way they do now, before they were modded - well then they never would have been modded to begin with.

That's a statement which does not hold waters as the standards and expected conduct on this site has changed a lot over the last 2/3 years and some mods have been mods long before that.

Most have changed along with the site, some left, some have hardly noticed the changes and some have chaffed. The site and the communities are an ever changing and shifting dynamic, but it does seem to have become more buttoned down and conservative in places, but then again in other's it's become a more welcoming place to post.

Swings and roundabouts.

Apology accepted.

cos everyone knows what a hobgoblin is and what one looks like and that in no way could be confused with a troll. dont act so smug, id like to say its unbecoming of you

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

After 381 posts what have we learned?

Theres a lot to be said for a benign dictatorship.
    Right or wrong hardly matters.
    We are here doing this because we want to be, and we do as we are told.
    Up to a point.

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    cos everyone knows what a hobgoblin is and what one looks like and that in no way could be confused with a troll. dont act so smug, id like to say its unbecoming of you

Life's a learning curve, I used to think everyone knew what THAC0 was and a flac cannon, and what hand shaking protocols are, but you live and learn.

Only if you survive the stupid phase.

..it just seems you have some personal objection to me and if that is the case I'd like to at least know what it was.

Not sure why you would think I would have a "personal objection" to you, I have criticised many Moderration / Admin actions, you're not being singled out.

I have made it clear what you did that I felt was out of order.

I have also complimented Admin and Moderators just as much as I have found fault with them over the years, but yesterday's bread and all that.
    I think the statement made was absurd, as there are no mythical feminazi's ..

Quite right, they are not mythical wink.gif

Janeybabe is entitled to her opinion and I think she is 100% correct.

There are indeed some woman on Boards who go out of their way to take offense and label whole forums as being sexist.

I would say that anybody that has ever moderated After Hours could draw up a list of them quite easily, seen as that seems to be the forum that they tend to find so intolerable to their sensibilities.
    The site and the communities are an ever changing and shifting dynamic ..

I'm no newbie.
    If it was fact then she could have refuted it with links to it happening.

You really don't get what people are complaining about, do you?

You can ask her for links to back her statements untill the cows come home, for all I care - but there was no need for you to tell her to "stop trolling" as far as I am concerned, as she wasn't.

Many users said that there was sexist misogynistic personal abuse being ignored by Mods on AH, but then couldn't link to examples when asked, did I or anybody else call them trolls?

If I did, I bet I would have reprimanded for it, and rightly so too.

Life's a learning curve, I used to think everyone knew what THAC0 was and a flac cannon, and what hand shaking protocols are, but you live and learn.

oh stop hobgoblining

Jazzy wrote: »
    oh stop hobgoblining
    oh stop goblining hobgoblin ing.This doesnt make any sense.

OutlawPete the thread on that discussion was closed, I'm not going to get into it with you in the middle of this thread.

Yes things have changed and part of that is more female posters but it means more mainstream posters in general so standards have changed.

OutlawPete the thread on that discussion was closed, I'm not going to get into it with you in the middle of this thread.

Well, I may be starting a new sexism thread here in Feedback later ..

As quite frankly, the following sexist thread in After Hours has made me feel very offended indeed:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056039377

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Well, I may be starting a new sexism thread here in Feedback later ..

As quite frankly, the following sexist thread in After Hours has made be very offended indeed:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056039377

That's offensive... how? It's not like she's being sexiest, she's ranting. It's not different to saying "women only play mind games" and then explaining why I feel that way. It's not like she said "men are assholes, I've no reason to feel this way".
    But of course you're going to take that out of context, claim I was back seat modding, followed by me changing what the menaing of sexism is and so on like you tended to do earlier...

Oh and to everyone else that was talking about me. I was being chaotic, I was being insane and insaner. Comes from sniffing the lillies at the old canal by the off licence. I tell you, we need more lily fields around here to skip through. :D

Thaedydal, I don't want to get into a big debate with you so could you kindly just say Chaotic instead of Chaos please? Or the full name of just CF for short, thank you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

You posted this pic ..

art_hobgoblin2004_th.jpg

Honestly I knew what the pic was but only because I was drinking that beer at the weekend (I made reference to it in BGRH somewhere if anyone needs to check) and tasty stuff it is too, I highly recommend it

But I had no idea as to what the reference was and I doubt to many others did either

But lets be honest here if Thaed wanted to call someone a troll she wouldn't have used a picture, she would have just come out with it so I don't get all the fuss is about the pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Ok, this has moved from the Original Topic , Moderators, to a discussion on the events on two unrelated threads by way of some rather strange but not unfamiliar country.

I'm going to give this thread a few days to get back on track. If the conversation continues to be sidetracked, I will have no option but to close the thread and consider the feedback on moderators in general to be concluded for now.

thanks

LoLth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement