Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F***KING THISTLES

Options
  • 10-08-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have a new lawn sown since last sept ,the grass is fine and plenty of growth my problem is as of the last six weeks or so the lawn area is becoming more and more covered with thistles , someone recommended to me to spray entire lawn with mcpa but i would like a second opinion on this from someone who has used this product before for a similar application.
    Thanks v much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 QuareHog

Dig them up or bring a spade/hoe with you and snip them off at ground level as you walk around the garden everyday(good for health, wealth and environment).:D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

snip at ground level? will they not just grow back as quick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Just put a drop or two of Roundup in the centre of the thistle. Keep doing its every 3-4 weeks until all the thistles are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭gerandy

You could spray with a selective broad leaf weed killer. Something like Shell M50 will kill clovers, dogleaves ,thistles etc and not affect the gradss. Any agri co-op shop should have this and be able to help you pick out the correct type that will not kill grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

The best ( and cheapest ) solution is to get a sturdy pair of gardening gloves and pull them straight up. Thistles have a woody stem and big tap root so breaking them gives only a temporary respite but great for pulling. Don't put the carcasses in the compost heap because thistles are prolific in the seed department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭zetorman

Easiest way to kill thistles is the way all farmers do it....spray with MORTONE. You can buy it it five litre drums and works every time. Not only should you do the lawn but spray every thistle any where near your house especially the public road. Those thistle seeds can blow for miles and I resume thats how you got them. Enjoy watching them keel over after a few days !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i usually cut back to ground level, then put a dissertspoon of salt in the new cut and let at that, does a brill job, as the sap of the root will obsorbe salt and hey presto

Advertisement