Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had My First Dr. Appointment But??

Options
  • 10-08-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi All,

I had my first Dr. Appointment today to confirm my first pregnancy and am delighted.

My Dr. offered me names of Consultants to ring in Kilkenny St. Lukes Hospital. Waterford was also mentioned. Does this mean I am confined to having my baby in Kilkenny or Waterford??

Because of my location I am closer to Dublin than Waterford. Personally I would perfer to have my baby in Dublin than in Kilkenny. Just on my first I want to get best care I can. I am not saying I wouldn't get it in Kilkenny but feel more at ease about Dublin.

My question is though, do I need to change Dr. or can I ring them back and ask could I go to Dublin. (I know I should have asked today... but just all so new). OR is it that some GP's only forward patients to certain maternity hospitals and they can't forward you to other hospitals????.

I don't want to get off on wrong foot with my Dr. either on pregnancy. Will they mind me asking?

What can I do? I just want to put my mind at ease on it all??

Be really grateful for some advise, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Afaik, the choice is yours.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't be going out of my way to go to Dublin. All I've heard on this forum and on rollercoaster is how mad busy the Dublin hospitals are - huge queues and no guarantee of a private bed if you're going private.

I'm open to correction however by people who have actually experienced the
    Dublin hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is up to you but you have remember you will have to travel back and forth for appointments which is time consuming and awkward esp when you are in the last trimester,
    also if you have complications you may be kept in over night or for a few nights.

Also when you do go into labour the birth could be very quick giving you very little time to get to the hospital or you could go up and then be sent home to come back later or the next day or you could be taken in if you have a low labour which is complicated and your partner sent home.

The same if there are complications with the birth and you are kept in or if the baby is kept in. If the baby is kept in you'd have far to travel to see them esp if you are hoping to start breastfeeding.

I would suggest going for a look around the hospitals you are considering and take the distance and traveling into consideration.

Advertisement