Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Egypt with a diabetic child

Options
  • 10-08-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was wondering if any of the diabetics on boards have travelled to Egypt and if they have if they can offer me any advice.

My daughter will be 11 when we go in May (booked trip yesterday)

I know to say away from salads/fruit/ tap water/ wash hands after handling their money/

Take more medication then she will need and to carry it in hand luggage/prescription/gp letter/mossi repellent/sun cream/hat

My main concern is a tummy bug - what can i bring in case she comes down with one ? (she had one this time last year and was critical, she was rushed to hospital in an ambulance (and thats in Ireland))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

I travelled to Egypt (faboulous place) in 1998. I have type 1. It will be very hot and you will need to keep her insulin & strips cool while out during the day, maybe a frio pouch could work, or an insulated lunch box that way you can keep healthy snacks cool too. We had a fridge in our hotel room also.

With regards to the tummy bug ask your GP if Motilium & Imodium can be given to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

thanks for that!

Did you have any vaccinations before you went?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Yes, I did but so did my two friends who travelled with me. I think it's recommended for everyone. I got them from the GP but I don't remember what the vacinations were for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Imodium and Motillium can be got without a prescription so perhaps a chat with your usual chemist will help you out there instead of a possibly expensive GP visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Imodium and Motillium can be got without a prescription so perhaps a chat with your usual chemist will help you out there instead of a possibly expensive GP visit.

Motilium for over the counter sale is only licensed for 16 years plus. Imodium for 12 years plus. If you want these for an 11 year old then a trip to the doc is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

thanx for that,

Advertisement