Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road bike for kids...

• 10-08-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Looking at gettting road bikes for my kids 9th Birthday (end of August)as they both want to start going out on longer rides with me. I was hoping to get them Islabikes but they are a bit pricey and it also looks like they wouldn't be delivered in time. Does anyone know what bike shops in the Dublin area stock a selection of small sized road bikes or am I better off setting the kids expectations that their birthday present might be late and making the investments in getting the Islabikes. I think the LBS would still need to order in what I want.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

These are on CRC:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34163

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34162

I'd be interested to hear opinions on them and if the OP doesn't mind, if anyone has suggestions for a slightly older child (12), I'd appreciate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

viking do small kids road bikes much cheaper too
    viking-sprint-boys.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'd be careful going too cheap on a kids bike. I recently got my daughter (11) a new bike, similar to the dual suspension ones listed on the viking site, as she was keen to have a bike with gears, and join me on longer spins. The bike weighs a ton, and is tiring to use even over quite short distances. With less than 6 months use we're thinking of replacing it, either with an Isla bike, or the smallest size of ladies Giant. As things stand, she rathers borrowing her mums bike than using her own.

I'd tend to wait for a good bike rather than wasting money in something that could end up being a deterrent rather than incentive to cycle. IMHO simple and light is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Looking at gettting road bikes for my kids 9th Birthday (end of August)as they both want to start going out on longer rides with me. I was hoping to get them Islabikes but they are a bit pricey and it also looks like they wouldn't be delivered in time. Does anyone know what bike shops in the Dublin area stock a selection of small sized road bikes or am I better off setting the kids expectations that their birthday present might be late and making the investments in getting the Islabikes. I think the LBS would still need to order in what I want.

Thanks

My next door neighbours eight year old son has either a Viking or Claude Butler. It is a fine little bike. He is now up to doing 20mile spins on it. Got it from TMG in Skerries 01 849 3003. I believe that it can be difficult to source the tubes for the smaller wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Looking at gettting road bikes for my kids 9th Birthday (end of August)as they both want to start going out on longer rides with me. I was hoping to get them Islabikes but they are a bit pricey and it also looks like they wouldn't be delivered in time.
    Thanks

I got my daughter an Islabike last year after pretty exhaustive (some might say obsessive:))research. We love that bike.
    On the delivery side- I ordered on a weds afternoon and the bike was at my door on friday. Isla Rowntree rang me on the monday to make sure everything was ok. They quote longer delivery times to cover themselves at busy times I reckon.
    The Luath 26 is a great little bike and my daughter loves it and uses it-unlike her friend with their BSO's.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

papac wrote: »
    I got my daughter an Islabike last year after pretty exhaustive (some might say obsessive:))research. We love that bike.
    On the delivery side- I ordered on a weds afternoon and the bike was at my door on friday. Isla Rowntree rang me on the monday to make sure everything was ok. They quote longer delivery times to cover themselves at busy times I reckon.
    The Luath 26 is a great little bike and my daughter loves it and uses it-unlike her friend with their BSO's.
    ++Islabikes. They might be pricey, but they hold their value (Islabikes will buy them back / PX them), delivery also quick, but the weight is the big big plus for kids. Most kids bikes weigh more than my commuter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Drive-by curiosity: does anyone know if it's just a co-incidence that they use the Irish/Scottish Gaelic word for "early" or "quick"? Is the bike's name even pronounced that way (loo-ah)?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Drive-by curiosity: does anyone know if it's just a co-incidence that they use the Irish/Scottish Gaelic word for "early" or "quick"? Is the bike's name even pronounced that way (loo-ah)?

It sure isn't a coincidence. I've noticed these late years that using Irish words for marketing purposes became fancy (don't remember any specific examples, but there are plenty, including and mostly from outside Ireland).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Isla is a common girls name in Scotland. I always assumed that Isla Rowntree has some Scottish connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

papac wrote: »
    Isla is a common girls name in Scotland. I always assumed that Isla Rowntree has some Scottish connection.

That occurred to me too but couldn't find anything online.

They look like lovely bikes. Will keep them in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

i remeber seeing a kids road bike out in cyclesuperstore in tallaght. didnt see price. id give them a call op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Just to get the thread back on topic...

I called into Hollingsworth cycles (tempelogue) on the way home from work, they have the viking bikes but are looking for €400 for the model with gear shifters on the frame and €500 for the version with STI shifters.

Quite a difference in price front the viking link Caroline sent on.

I am still thinking the whole thing through and as my kids are growing at a ferocious rate I might get this Dawes bike and then in a year or 2 get an Islabike as them seem to get the thumbs up from everyone.

Thanks

Advertisement