Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU advice - rebuilding PC

Options
  • 10-08-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I have a PC (Dell XPS 420). I've had a few problems of late, so I'm thinking about replacing components within the machine.

How easy is it to replace the power supply? It's a part of a PC I've never replaced before. The machine has a 375w supply, but I need something more powerful, because I want to install a new graphics card that needs more power.

Can I just buy a power supply unit and put it in? I know I need to check out all the power connectors currently in use in my machine. I have 3 HDD, 1 DVD, 1 multi-card reader, 24pin motherboard connector, and a 6pin PCIE graphics card connector.

The new graphics card I've ordered (Nvidia GTX480) required an 8-pin and also a 6-pin power supply.

Anything else I should check or be aware of? Anyone recommend a PSU? I was thinking of possibly a 750w PSU?

Any advice, comments, recommendations would be very welcome, and especially anything I should watch out for.

Basically, my plan - upgrade ram to 8GB (supported by MB), install new graphics card, and install specific sound card.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The 750W should be fine, you'll fine it may come in different configurations and the more expensive one will have more ports, apart from that that's all the difference.

So, as long as you know exactly what connectors you need, and they'll ALL be different from the Dell one [I'm nearly positive] the cheaper version could suffice.

Now it is possible to get a PSU like your old Dell one, but if upgrading, I'd upgrade to the new type. As mentioned make sure you will have enough physical ports on the PSU and after that a few adapters ** sometimes included but not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Check that the Dell PSU is a standard shape. I don't know your model, but I once had a Compaq with a non-generic PSU. I think the connectors weren't standard too. Also check which way the airflow comes out, compared to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just doing some digging and it seems that Dell PSUs aren't standard. The shape/size is fine, it's their outputs.

It looks like I may have to scrap my idea now.

Advertisement