Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever thought about getting paid for comics work? If so, here's some food for thought

Options
  • 10-08-2010 1:41pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I saw this article linked to on another comics discussion forum, and thought it would be an interesting read for anyone looking to make money from comics. The article may be about art for Flash games rather than comics, but the ideas discussed are common to both.

Part of me wants to give the author a kick up the arse, but part of me can see his point. It's not his job as an employer to make sure artists know going rates, copyrights, royalties and so forth - but at the same time, admitting to deliberately targeting "new talent" because they don't know about the realities of the market place sounds a bit too much like a dirtbag move...

Certainly if there's one thing you can learn from reading the article it's to know what you're doing before signing any contract to produce artwork of any kind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the comments section is far more interesting then the actual piece as its clearly written by someone who hasn't been working in the games industry very long. Its a simple case of you get what you pay for. there is a reason professional artists charge the rates they do, you get what you pay for. Nothing stopping people from shopping around and giving new artists ago at lower rates, it's how alot of people get their first jobs but alot of producers and art directors stick with artists they know because time is money and they don't have time to piss around with people who don't know what they are doing.

From having worked in animation production in both feature films and television I've seen alot of people who were decent and to very talented artists get fired for just not being able to meet deadlines or knowing the correct procedure when working in a studio system. Only recently we used a new storyboard artists who was cheaper and actually a very good artist but he submitted the board all wrong and it took the production staff 2 days to fix it rather then the 2 hours it normally took. He won't be hired by us again as the money saved on his fee was more then doubled on having to pay production crew over time.

It is a learning curve for artists but also for companies, the person who wrote this piece won't last very long as they won't be able to keep artists and there won't be any consistency to their work.

Advertisement