Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Front page of the Irish Times

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

thefly wrote: »

Not trolling I just have high exceptions and expect nothing but the best every time. Especially for a front page shot in a National Paper.

Clearly you dont and average shots are acceptable

ah...y'don't really: http://pix.ie/thefly/album/383856

I've a few high exceptions myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I like his Fox pictures but then again that only confuses the thread even more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭EyeCake

Is it not much better than Brian Cowan's face delivering more bad news
    A fantastic action capture even if did not have the right lens on
    Is it not about a majestic wild bird capturing vermin who few would have sympathy for a couple of miles from the city centre
    It just shows life is still going on around us and some have to hunt hard for dinner. A rat for dinner or a Great action photo for his editor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

EyeCake wrote: »
    Is it not about a majestic wild bird capturing vermin who few would have sympathy for a couple of miles from the city centre

There are multiple Rats in our flats but I don't call them vermin, I feed them!
    Besides that the rest of ur post is acceptable. :cool:

I like his Fox pictures but then again that only confuses the thread even more!

That must be because of the Punky, scream in your face and kick out the jams feel to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

jesus, the begrudgery in here is sstonishing, although probably not unexpected from some of the posters.

it all reminds me of the joke...

how many photographers does it take to change a lightbulb?

100. 1 to change the bulb and 99 others to say "I could've done that"

Ah yes, of course. Forgot the fact we're supposed to wet ourselves over anything gets printed :D In that case many of my shots should be award winners as they've been in many a paper.

We are allowed not to like things ...

In saying that, I did say it was a 'good capture' just nothing more, nothing less. Certainly not worthy of front page. Simple.

I wonder does all that thumbing up posts make people think they're more right? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Ah yes, of course. Forgot the fact we're supposed to wet ourselves over anything gets printed :D In that case many of my shots should be award winners as they've been in many a paper.

Never said that...
    We are allowed not to like things ...

nor that...

In saying that, I did say it was a 'good capture' just nothing more, nothing less. Certainly not worthy of front page. Simple.

so says one of the 99 others. Of course you are right. What you say is absolutely a statement of fact. :rolleyes: Of course, the photo ed in teh irish Times probably doesn't agree with that assertion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

In a news paper it's never about the picture it's the story it tells.

That's why it's called a "News paper" and not a "Photo Paper"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

For newspapers it's about the story behind the image more than a bit of eye candy that is random and has no bearing on news worthy material whatsoever. I want to know where Dollymount Stand is now.

Besides it's the Irish Times not the National Geographic!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

kinda pointless basing this argument on a photo printed on newspaper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

kinda pointless basing this argument on a photo printed on newspaper...

What should an argument about photographs being printed in a newspaper be based around?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

charybdis wrote: »
    What should an argument about photographs being printed in a newspaper be based around?

not the quality of the image anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

My view is that it has to be News to get that placement. I think the News here is nature in an urban setting. To me the photo works on this level. It probably may not win a nature competition if it were judged on the technical merits, but that is not the only standard of good photography. If someone got a shot of Elvis having tea with Princess Di being served by Michael Jackson on a phone camera it may not win a Portraiture Competition but would still be a fine News shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

There is no news story though ... It is just a stand alone image with a caption.

There is no news story though ... It is just a stand alone image with a caption.

Rats no speaky de english. But the message has gone out to them loud and clear: There are big birds out there that're gonna rip you a new one.

Good on the Irish Times. Far too many sharp and detailed pics depicting bland stories or stories of woe. A simple pic showing some other creatures lives. Sure there's plenty of room for that in my book on quiet news weeks. It's refreshing. Too many people hung up on the details of bland things with no stopping to enjoy the view of life.

Too many lords of the bland details and exif data wanna knowers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Heck, even thefly's old man liked the photo... I guess the apple has rolled a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Well my old man rang me to tell me about the AMAZING" shot on the cover of the IT today and never once mentioned the location. Obviously when I saw the shot I rang him and pretty much told him what I said here. My point is he never once mentioned the location. Despite been a Dub and a wildlife enthusiast
    Says it all for me, we can go on as much as we want about what we think should and shouldn't have been done but if the punters that look at our work think it's an amazing shot then the picture has done it's job to my mind..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There is no news story though
    it doesn't have to be a news story. they'll often run with general interest pics which are eye catching or unusual, especially on a slow news day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Still cant see either ones eyes

attachment.php?attachmentid=123642&stc=1&d=1281524101

now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Tallon wrote: »
    I think it's a cracking shot. well done to the photog

I have to agree, I think it's a great shot, for me the grain even adds to it. Well done to the tog and congrats on front page placement.

Hand on heart, who wouldn't like to get one of their images on the front page of a national newspaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If the picture one frame after this comment is the one from the paper.. it's very noisy, suggesting that the exposure was heavily tweaked.. but it's still pretty cool.
    bad quality? as is explained underneath, the photographer was out looking for weather shots so obviously wasn't going to be kitted out for nature photography anyway.

image is quite clear - exposure is fine, focus is fine. how could he have improved it?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

it doesn't have to be a news story. they'll often run with general interest pics which are eye catching or unusual, especially on a slow news day.

I work for a newspaper as a reporter and photographer. I agree it's not the greatest shot ever taken, it's just one of these moments unexpectedly captured. Yes maybe he/she didn't have the right equipment or even the time to fully check his/her settings but he got the shot! Wouldn't you love to capture it yourself, it's a great action shot although a better angle would have been good but you take what you can get! As for news, we are in the middle of 'silly season' news is slow at the moment everywhere. Editors choice to plac on the front page.You gotta remember we're critical of settings, compositions, equipment etc. as professionals, but remember who is buying the paper at the end of the day!

Advertisement