Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use an electronic toll tag?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

Can you buy a tag at Dublin airport for the M50 Toll?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

lushballs wrote: »
    Can you buy a tag at Dublin airport for the M50 Toll?

no.
    you may be able to pay for one of the tolls on the M50 at a shop in Dublin Airport.

I've an eflow tag and also a sanef tag for autoroutes, that costs me eur 2 a month that I use it and none the rest of the year, but I get to save several minutes at each turnpike using the express lane, and Mrs Carawaystick can sleep and not have to be minding tickets and paying tolls for me out her window. the holder is the same size as the eflow one.

The savings on the westlink justify me having an eflow tag, though I don't know if they'll start charging vat on the euro a month now or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just ordered a Tolltag one. Figured the 10% account charge and the toll purchase thing wouldbe offset by the convenience of going through the express lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

dont have any tag at the mo, as dont live anywhere near a toll road, but was thinking of buying one to save any hassle on those infrequent trips were one might be encountered.

was looking at the tolltag, due to no monthly fee, just a 10% charge for each time passing through a toll.

have noticed that there are a couple of opitions. one where there is no top up ('pay as you go toll') and one where there is an initial €40 top up ('pay as you go toll+').

now would be looking at the first opition if i went for any, but i still cant find on the website how you pay for the 'pay as you go'. are you billed at the end of a billing cycle or can you just top up with the minimum amount (or more if you want) reqired to complete your planned journeys, also where and how, it also mentions you purchase the tag outright, but does say how much this costs.

1. Pay As You Toll.
    This type of TollTag account is designed for very light use. There is no minimum balance, no obligation to topup (ever) and no monthly charge. When you use the tag, a usage charge of 10% of the toll passed applies, so for example on the M50 in a car, the toll for tag equipped vehicles is (as of 1/6/09) 2.00 and with the Pay As You Toll TollTag you will pay 2.20, a saving of 0.80 per trip on the toll for cars not equipped with a TollTag. When you select this tag type you purchase the tag outright.

2. Pay As You Toll. +
    This type of TollTag account is designed for medium use. You will need to add 40.00 credit to your account to receive the tag, however the full 40.00 credit will remain on your account to be used for toll/parking payment and no monthly charge applies. This account type requires a minimum balance of 12.00 to be maintained (the minimum needed to pass through Irelands most expensive toll once) and once your account balance reaches this level (or below) it will automatically be replensihed by 20.00 from your chosen payment card. When you use the tag, a usage charge of 10% of the toll passed applies, so for example on the M50 in a car, the toll for tag equipped vehicles is (as of 1/6/09) 2.00 and with the Pay As You Toll + TollTag you will pay 2.20, a saving of 0.80 per trip on the toll for cars not equipped with a TollTag.

https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/UI/controls.aspx

any answers appreciated.

Tolltag gives you €4.40 in your account when you start on Pay As You Toll. I went through the M50 toll the other day and that went to 2.20. Thats fine. But I got a text saying my account balance was low. If I go through another toll, that will go down obviously, but does it just take the amount from your credit card once it gets to 0 or will my nice new tag not work? Seems a bit unclear.

• Advertisement

Did you pay the inital €40 top up or take the purchase opition
    Tolltag gives you €4.40 in your account when you start on Pay As You Toll. I went through the M50 toll the other day and that went to 2.20. Thats fine. But I got a text saying my account balance was low. If I go through another toll, that will go down obviously, but does it just take the amount from your credit card once it gets to 0 or will my nice new tag not work? Seems a bit unclear.

i understand that much, but just a few things no clear on the site. Cant see any difference between the 'pay as you go toll' and 'the pay as you go toll+', apart from the €40 intital top up and €12 minimum balance on the 'pay as you go toll+'. and the purchase tag outright on the 'pay as you go toll'

now (1) it does not say what this purchase cost is if any, and (2) since there is no obligation to top up on the first opition, i assume this means if no balance you have to pay at the desk on manned tolls (M4, porttunnel, eastlink etc) or pay online/phone/shop if using the M50 or are you billed.

I paid the €30 to purchase the tag and it says you dont need to topup. Its a bit of a farce. I selected autotopup just in case but nothing has happened.

I paid the €30 to purchase the tag and it says you dont need to topup. Its a bit of a farce. I selected autotopup just in case but nothing has happened.

it does seem a bit of one alright, was only considering tolltag as would never use the others enough to justify a monthly charge. looking at that purchase fee and for the amount of times i would use the tolls think i'll just do the video registration for the M50.

But thanks for your feedback and comments, appriciated.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Stuart74

I got an e-trip (now easytrip) tag a few years ago when the AA were doing a special members offer with them.

The tag cost €30 for a combined toll/parking tag and you got €27 free parking included in the price.

This tag at the time was the one that suited me best as it covered the city centre car parks in both Limerick and Dublin that I would use when parking in either city centre.

The only issue I have had with the tag has been with the Harvey's Quay car park in Limerick. Sometimes the tag reader in the left lane at the exit does not read the tag so I've found that the easiest work around is entering and leaving the car park in the right hand lane.

The tag beeps every time I pass under a reader be it in a car park or on a tolled road.

I have noticed the few times I used the Limerick tunnel that the express lane has always been closed going in either direction.

I would use the M7/M8 most weekends heading home to Limerick and have noticed a number of drivers move out into the passing lane of the motorway as they approach the toll plaza only to cut back in to get to the manned / basket lanes.

Has anyone noticed this happening on at the approach to any other toll plaza?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stuart74 wrote: »
    I got an e-trip (now easytrip) tag a few years ago when the AA were doing a special members offer with them.
    I have the same one and the only times I've had a problem with it (twice) were at the M1 toll... works fine on the M50 and M3 and in the car parks in town that accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Has anyone been experiencing problems at the M8 Fermoy Bypass express lane lately? The barrier is failing to lift for me of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Furet wrote: »
    Has anyone been experiencing problems at the M8 Fermoy Bypass express lane lately? The barrier is failing to lift for me of late.

While not on the M8 this happened to me a few times on the N25 Waterford Bypass. I realised that my approach speed to the first sensor that reads the tag was too quick and have found that at 50 km/h the barrier always rises. Funnily enough the speed limit is 50 km/h in advance of the barrier :o

I was on the Fermoy one yesterday and it only opened at the very last second. No BEEP either.

Out of interest, what happens if you come off at a slip road toll booth and then go back on again and have to pay at a mainline booth? Do you get charged twice through the tolltag, or is the system intelligent enough to only charge you once? Cos of course if you get a paper receipt at the sliproad booth you dont have to pay at the mainline booth if you go through within a certain time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I was on the Fermoy one yesterday and it only opened at the very last second. No BEEP either.

Out of interest, what happens if you come off at a slip road toll booth and then go back on again and have to pay at a mainline booth? Do you get charged twice through the tolltag, or is the system intelligent enough to only charge you once? Cos of course if you get a paper receipt at the sliproad booth you dont have to pay at the mainline booth if you go through within a certain time.

No beep for me either. Funny thing is, I am getting a green light but then the barrier fails to lift. I rang DirectRoute and they say they are having problems at the moment on the M8, but they weren't more specific than that. About the billing, I don't know is my answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Same happened me. The beeps don't seem to matter for me, it seems to open when it pleases 1 beep, 2 beeps, no beep

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I use Tolltag. I only had drama once where the tag failed to read 3 times over the course of a weekend (it normally works every time).

Contested the fines on the website. Didn't send in supporting docs as I didn't have any.

Got informed I'd now have to pay 50 quid fine per toll + admin fees = 156 quid :(

Since then I've always paid the toll at the next petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"supporting documentation" should be your tag number! Give that to them and tell them to PFO on the fines. Do NOT pay them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

MYOB wrote: »
    "supporting documentation" should be your tag number! Give that to them and tell them to PFO on the fines. Do NOT pay them!
    I paid them :(

Advertisement