Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glendalough 15km run, Sat Oct 30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Looks good, will keep it in mind, and hopefully give it a go....

Will mark it down, and pop a reminder in the phone for it.

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    paul mahon will be able to tell us when he spots this i suppose, as he's working with fighting blindness on it..

It'll be aimed at an easy-moderate level i'd imagine, so i wouldnt think it'll be that hilly. but i could be all wrong.

I think he is a fan of big tough hills, I would be expecting this to be tough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The course is now up.

http://www.glendaloughtrail.com/course.php.

About 440 metres of climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    The course is now up.

http://www.glendaloughtrail.com/course.php.

About 440 metres of climbing.

i'm a bit clueless regarding garmin routes/elevations etc- how do you reckon it'll compare to tulfarris 10 nerraw? seems similiar-ish? (apart from obvious terrain difference)

OK, so miles 1.7- 4.5 is a constant climb, then a nice down hill from there.

i'd personally prefer undulating, but this looks ok. a lot of trips out to ticknock methinks.

I'd say it's a totally different kettle of fish from Tulfarris.

I messed up my Garmin reading of the Tulfarris so don't have the exact garmin readin. (left it on for the car journey home) But I think in that race the longest continuous climb was about 40 metres in height with numerous hills of 20 metres etc.

This is just one drag, going from 130 metres to 490 metres in 4.5 kms.

Contrast that with the first 4.5kms of Tulfarris which had about 80 metres of climbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Route mapped from the garmin data...

BFE5B64425114E36B77E7D1B2E2B47D6-0000332535-0001891295-00800L-06E751EF4CBF4EEF910C8CB05E58DAD6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

i've just signed up should be a bit of craic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I'd say it's a totally different kettle of fish from Tulfarris.

I messed up my Garmin reading of the Tulfarris so don't have the exact garmin readin. (left it on for the car journey home) But I think in that race the longest continuous climb was about 40 metres in height with numerous hills of 20 metres etc.

This is just one drag, going from 130 metres to 490 metres in 4.5 kms.

Contrast that with the first 4.5kms of Tulfarris which had about 80 metres of climbing.

Here is the tulfarris one if you want to compare:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43478772

in laymans (blonde) terms, tulfarris was like MMMM, glenda is like a giant inverted V!!!!!!!!!

lot of downhill, anyone got any tips for faster downhill running? apart from letting gravity take you and belting away mad??

in laymans (blonde) terms, tulfarris was like MMMM, glenda is like a giant inverted V!!!!!!!!!

lot of downhill, anyone got any tips for faster downhill running? apart from letting gravity take you and belting away mad??

Some good tips here:
    http://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/2082/?PHPSESSID=da9da7fdb650e680370bdd60b8466bae

I like the tip of jumping straight up to get an extra half second to find your footing if in trouble.

• Advertisement

Some good tips here:
    http://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/2082/?PHPSESSID=da9da7fdb650e680370bdd60b8466bae

I like the tip of jumping straight up to get an extra half second to find your footing if in trouble.

jayz... isnt t'internet great all the same

i feel sorry for our parents that they didnt have it like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

This will be my first 10 miler if I sign up and now I'm wondering would all these hills be too much for a first timer? I only started running in Feb

What do you experts think?

dolliemix wrote: »
    This will be my first 10 miler if I sign up and now I'm wondering would all these hills be too much for a first timer? I only started running in Feb

What do you experts think?

my first 10miler was tulfarris10, which was very hilly.. prior to that had only run 10km flat.

aside from that, it's 6 weeks away! and, it's a charity run.. methinks most of us will be walking up the steep bit anyway.

go for it dollie!

my first 10miler was tulfarris10, which was very hilly.. prior to that had only run 10km flat.

aside from that, it's 6 weeks away! and, it's a charity run.. methinks most of us will be walking up the steep bit anyway.

go for it dollie!

ETA- it's actually 9.4 miles- as opposed to 10- so 1km shorter than a 10miler.. just as an aside!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

ETA- it's actually 9.4 miles- as opposed to 10- so 1km shorter than a 10miler.. just as an aside!

Good news!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 grasshopper2

Hi,

I hear there are over a 100 signed up for this. Should be a goo one and the route looks perfect.

crikey, 100+, wow!

it's halloween so i'm considering running in fancy dres.. if i can find something breathable:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Haven't been up that way since the summer, has anyone been around there recently ? I'm wondering what the conditions are like on the route, i.e. is it mainly on the gravelly path or is some of it a bit mucky. The site says only 300m on tarmac but would the rest be like say the path from the lower to the upper lake ?
    Trying to decide to go with trail runners or road shoes.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Haven't been up that way since the summer, has anyone been around there recently ? I'm wondering what the conditions are like on the route, i.e. is it mainly on the gravelly path or is some of it a bit mucky. The site says only 300m on tarmac but would the rest be like say the path from the lower to the upper lake ?
    Trying to decide to go with trail runners or road shoes.

I was down there last weekend, the weather's been great so it's not at all mucky at the moment- but god knows what might happen between now and then!

I'll be wearing my Inov8 trail shoes regardless, but i'd imagine either would be fine, trail or road.

Are you trail shoes not comfortable or something? I wear mine all the time, unless i'm doing an all tarmac route.

They're comfy enough, just a little heavier than my road shoes, not that it makes much difference to me. I was looking at some very tasty and light Salomon Speedcross and various Innov8s a while ago which I want, I'm just never happy with what I have, I only have ny current Salomons since the summer.

• Advertisement

Yeah, my inov8s are as lite as my asics, which is why i love them. the heavier ones can be a bit of an issue especially over 15km too.

i'd go with your road shoes to be honest- maybe drop paul mahon an email tho to see what he thinks

Ah I'll be grand with the trails if I do it, like yourself I've worn them for every run that hasn't been on road.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭damanloox

Does anybody kow if there will be any restrictions on Saturday for "regular" walkers (who do not participate in the event)...?

I doubt it, routes will be open to the public as usual I'd imagine.

Magical morning in Glendalough for this. Magical route too. Was jealous to be looking on, in a marshalling / cheer leading capacity.

The weather gods yet again smile on a Paul Mahon event alright ! What a beautiful morning for a race, fairly chilly to begin with but what great weather to make the beautiful scenery all the nicer. It was a great course, a bit of everything for everyone, fav section was through the forest and the bog and up what was virtually a stream. The last 2k felt like it would never end, being able to see down into the car park as you went by it gave a false sense that you were nearly there.

Were you around the 10k mark Slogger ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The weather gods yet again smile on a Paul Mahon event alright ! What a beautiful morning for a race, fairly chilly to begin with but what great weather to make the beautiful scenery all the nicer. It was a great course, a bit of everything for everyone, fav section was through the forest and the bog and up what was virtually a stream. The last 2k felt like it would never end, being able to see down into the car park as you went by it gave a false sense that you were nearly there.

Were you around the 10k mark Slogger ?

Yep. And the 3k mark.

Full set of photos available on www.actionphotography.ie

JS has surpassed himself with some of these. Particularly set 4 looking down over the lake:- here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Paul got plenty of coverage alright there on the news! :)

• Advertisement

Brilliant race, what a gorgeous morning! Tougher than i expected.. feeling it in the glutes today.

Did a ****e time, but really didnt feel like pushing myself. Enjoyed it though- really enjoyed it!

Advertisement