Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions about New Zealand?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi all. Thinking about uping and leaving here (Ireland) and moving over the NZ, things arent going great at home, family problems and whatnot. Have two friends over there at the moment, think they're in Wellington but not positive (havnt been in much contact with them since they left). Would I be crazy to go over there with little money (€1000 maybe) and no job pre-arranged? What are the prospects of getting a job, how is the economy doing ... i've heard there are a few jobs to be had. I have a ordinary degree in business management and am 23 years old (male .. not that it matters). Working Holiday Visas cost roughly €100 I think and last 12 months but can go up to 23 months?! Thanks for any replys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Also, when booking flights ... do u have to have a return flight like Austrailia or can you just book one-way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

JMB88 wrote: »
    Hi all. Thinking about uping and leaving here (Ireland) and moving over the NZ

I am doing the same thing, leaving next week. So yes
    Have two friends over there at the moment

Thats good support, Make sure you tell them that at customs.
    Would I be crazy to go over there with little money (€1000 maybe) and no job pre-arranged?

Working Holiday Visas cost roughly €100 I think and last 12 months but can go up to 23 months?!

Well if you plan on getting a WHV(75euro) you will need a min of 4200NZD
    (4,200.00 NZD = 2,308.49 EUR)

Also coming from Ireland it only lasts 12 months, If you have a British Passport you can get 24months.

If you want to stay in NZ you will need to get someone to sponsor you.
    What are the prospects of getting a job, how is the economy doing ... i've heard there are a few jobs to be had. I have a ordinary degree in business management

There are more jobs in NZ then Ireland. If that helps :D

Also keep in mind, You are talking 900-1300 for flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Thanks for your reply. Best of luck over in NZ, hope it goes well. Gonna do a bit more research about it and make a decision in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

JMB88 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Best of luck over in NZ, hope it goes well. Gonna do a bit more research about it and make a decision in the next few days.

Well here is the best place to start

Make an account here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/secure/default.htm

HWV
    Places to live

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

I am doing the same thing, leaving next week. So yes

Thats good support, Make sure you tell them that at customs.

Well if you plan on getting a WHV(75euro) you will need a min of 4200NZD
    (4,200.00 NZD = 2,308.49 EUR)

Also coming from Ireland it only lasts 12 months, If you have a British Passport you can get 24months.

If you want to stay in NZ you will need to get someone to sponsor you.

There are more jobs in NZ then Ireland. If that helps :D

Also keep in mind, You are talking 900-1300 for flights.

I got flights last week off Singapore Airlines for €712 one-way
    Shannon -> Heathrow -> Singapore -> Auckland

WHV Visa was €67 from official NZ immigration site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

The job situation here is not too bad....arrived in NZ about 5 weeks ago and have being working the last 4 weeks. We are in Christchurch at the moment and its going pretty well, apartment and all that sorted too. Have your CV in order and when u get here give some of the recruitment agents a buzz, plenty of temp work about. having a few mates here that u can crash with will be a help as accom will be your biggest expenditure. best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 alanEire89

howyehs

im probley on de wrong forum but ive been looking at the WHV for NZ and was wondering can yeh apply for one if yeh dont have a place to stay or work? cause there seems te be a lot of temp work over there and would they help yeh fing a place?

any reply would good cause dying te get out it dis kip for it while!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

alanEire89 wrote: »
    howyehs

im probley on de wrong forum but ive been looking at the WHV for NZ and was wondering can yeh apply for one if yeh dont have a place to stay or work? cause there seems te be a lot of temp work over there and would they help yeh fing a place?

any reply would good cause dying te get out it dis kip for it while!!:D

yeah, you dont need to have anything sorted (work or accom) to get the visa...you can do all that when you get here - dont think a temp job would help you get somewhere to stay though...not something you cant easily sort out yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 alanEire89

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    yeah, you dont need to have anything sorted (work or accom) to get the visa...you can do all that when you get here - dont think a temp job would help you get somewhere to stay though...not something you cant easily sort out yourself

yeah cheers cause thats the only thing i was worrying about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Temp work in most industries in Wellington. Money may be crap or you could get lucky.and there will be compotition as lots of expats it feels here now. As above have CV ready, tell them you're in the country and ready to work for 6 months and you'll probably get something. Also hospo work avaialble but paymay be as bad as $12/hr.

I've never heard so many Irish accents as there were in Molly Malones last weekend come to think of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement