Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords league race 11/08/10 Bog of the Ring

• 10-08-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Am I right that this is the last outing at the Bog Of The Ring for this year??!!!:eek:
    Good flat and fast circuit. Looking forward to this one. Hope the weather will be kind!!
    Who's up for this?
    Will group 1 get another victory?! or has their luck ran out?!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

It is indeed the last outing on the Bog this year, and a number of palmares are still up for grabs, expect higher average speeds than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Group 2 for me I reckon! :)

Really like this circuit and got my first win here but doubt that will happen tomorrow! Weather is given as very good so if its like this evening its gonna make for some real fast stuff!!

Looking forward to it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

BOTR my fav course and might even try going with the big boys again. This course is 1 hour of pure hammerfest. :D:D:D

Am sick of group 1 winning we need to shake it up. Joe is back to sort out the handicaps hopefully. I've promised Staro a lead out if we're in the mix.

Oh yeah they're looking for marshalls so if anyone wants to contact Keith Sharkey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Dave11 wrote: »
    Joe was there last week doing the handicapps and if ya talk to him he'll give ya the times we were doing and it will show that the handicapps were fair it's kust the other group were slower then usual! Will ya ever give Group 1 a break! Join them if ya wanna chance of winning...

+1 on that. Bit too much showboating in some of the middle groups :rolleyes:
    Stringing the group out is good for the ego but if it disrupts the rhythm if the group really just slows it down ultimately....

Back to group 2 for me too..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Group 2 for me I reckon! :)

You reckon you'll get away with group 2 then ;)

• Advertisement

Dave I like it. The cockiness is exactly what we need to stir things up.:D

Remember though be nice to everyone on your way up (through the groups) you'll meet them agai on the way back down........eventually.

shaungil wrote: »
    Remember though be nice to everyone on your way up (through the groups) you'll meet them again on the way back down.....

Dave I like it. The cockiness is exactly what we need to stir things up.:D

Remember though be nice to everyone on your way up (through the groups) you'll meet them agai on the way back down........eventually.

I'm always nice!! :D

RobFowl wrote: »
    You reckon you'll get away with group 2 then ;)

Can't see that happening!!

Can't see that happening!!

The sprinters in group 1 over the last few races were at least as fast as group 2. Group 2 has some really strong rider who don't have much of a kick. If Group 2 stays away I'd probably have you down as favourite as long as you don't get sucked in to leading it out.....

Any way you strung it out so much at the finish you've gone and dragged me up with you :rolleyes:

In a straight sprint finish there's a rider who's usually in group 1 who'd beat anyone from group 1 through 3 and possibly 4. (the problem of course is getting to the finish in the lead group...).

In scratch it's probably difficult to ride flat out for the win as Paul Kennedy is practically unbeatable in a sprint finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Painful, terrifying and fun :)

Well done to the 2 guys who got away.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »

Back to group 2 for me too..

Just want to get this in quotes, before anyone goes back to try and tamper with the evidence:rolleyes:

Can't complain about the handicaps this week - Group 1 only had 3m 30s on Group 2. We had 2 minutes on Group 3 (who were boosted by the return of Club League Leader Staro following his foray into Group 4:rolleyes:), but they managed to catch us within 2 laps, despite the fact we seemed to be working quite well. I, along with a couple of others, was promptly dropped, and was then overtaken by Group4/Scratch - fiished the 3rd lap, and then took the opportunity to take a few pictures of the finish (including Staro getting 5th place:rolleyes:)

Group 1 managed to stay away for about 3 laps, and RobFowl then managed to keep in the bunch to the end:rolleyes:

Overall I am satisfied given my power output was within a couple of watts of my best for the 3 laps - 261w (and 289w on a normalised basis, which is also pretty close to a PB)

The term hammerfest is thrown about a lot these days but I can safely say the first lap in scratch in that race tonight was absolute balls out speed fest. I'm awaiting average speed by text so will post when I get them.

Scratch consited of a couple of A1 riders and mainly 2'and 3's including at least 3 Ras finishers and one of the top vets in the country. I wanted to try and see how I coped in this company. From the start it was horrible. I wanted to try and do a few stints but at one stage some of the guys were going through so hard you had to bridge and it just absolutely murdered me to get across. Going in thee biggest gear and spinning like crazy was only enough to just hang on and then someone might attack or drop a wheel so you had to bridge. The only thing that kept me from stopping was that I knew the abuse I'd get if I got dropped on the first lap.

Start lap 2 the strongest TT'er (think he was top 10 in nationals) punctured and it slowed a little. At this stage there were about 4 or 5 bodies off the back already. I was doing a few stints but nowhere near some of the lads. Also when I did stints I was too far off wheels so was really working to just get to the front. Lap 3 I was getting better and maybe other lads were tiring so I was doing a fair few turns. We caught leaders with most of the last lap to go so I sat on and had a few chats with some of the lads when I could. Was going to go for the sprint but it was pretty half hearted really so just outside top 10. Needed to be up the group more from earlier to have a chance. Looked like two guys were away were they in the race of just random punters?

Anyway am pleased that I could live with the pace and talking afterwards a few guys mentioned the first lap was indeed carnage which made me feel better. Nice to know you can live with big boys sometimes and always learning stuff from them.

Think Tim Oregan beat Paul Kennedy in sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

More of a sufferfest than a hammerfest for me!!
    Very quick pace in group 2 with everyone doing a fair share. Was delighted to stay with main bunch once caught and was even able to continue with taking a turn on the front through final lap. When hit the final straight I found myself throwing on the brakes to avoid tasting a car bumper! Lost all momentum but was able to get back into bunch and that was how it finished.
    Great workout. Now, where's that G & T!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Group 3 for me last night and it was fast. Went out hoping I could stay with the bunch which I did.
    Garmin decided to hardreset itself so still rebuilding my tcx files but my powertap gives me an average speed of 39.52km/h, average power of 291W, normalised power of 329W.

It also got quite hairy for the last straight. Quite a few people swerving around on the road and got pushed onto the grass at one occasion, getting shouted at when I pushed back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It certainly looked fast from my corner. Here are the splits that I took. I was positioned on corner number four, i.e. the one leading on to the home straight.

Lap 1
    Group 1: didn't split this
    Group 2: +2.54 (approx, started timer late)
    Group 3: +1.00
    Group 4: +2.00

When you came back round, a group had been caught. I'm not sure which groups it was, so I am just listing the order in which the groups came through, not what they are actually called.

Lap 2
    Group 1: +10.36 (this is the time elapsed since group 4 went past on the first lap)
    Group 2: +2.24
    Group 3: +1.19

Lap 3
    Group 1: +13.17 (time elapsed since group 3 went past on lap 2)
    Group 2: +0.37
    Group 3: +0.35

Lap 4
    Group 1: +14.43

Group 1 last night (I know :rolleyes:).
    Rode well as a group Ave 36.5Kph until we were caught with a lap to go.
    TBH once the scratch caught us it was much easier. speed went up but ave HR went right down. That said tried to move up to the front but roads very narrow and after nearly hitting the car English Bob described had to chase to get back on so rode in with the bunch without going for the sprint.

Tim O Regan broke away with Paul Kennedy and took the win. Staro must have been 3rd in the bunch sprint then which was very impressive and I think wraps up the overall in the club league.

Roll on next week and a new course and last road race of the club league with only the hill climb to follow.

Congrats Staro!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    Congrats Staro!
    He was only 5th - I have the photo!
    He hit about 1,150w which (he'll be pleased to know) is about 75w more than shaungil in a club race;)

Beasty wrote: »
    He hit about 1,150w which (he'll be pleased to know) is about 75w more than shaungil in a club race;)

Does that mean the league ain't sorted yet?

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Does that mean the league ain't sorted yet?

I meant 3rd in the bunch sprint (5th overall).

Beasty wrote: »

hhhmmmm think I should go out and sit on in group 3 too;)

Makes sense though he's a stronger sprinter than me so would expect that. Looks like the gym will have to be hit this winter, not that I'm competitive or anything.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Looks like the gym will have to be hit this winter, not that I'm competitive or anything.......

Are you still chasing those last couple of points for a licence upgrade?

Scratch riders in A4 make baby jesus cry. ;)

Lumen wrote: »
    Are you still chasing those last couple of points for a licence upgrade?

Scratch riders in A4 make baby jesus cry. ;)

Yeah still 2 points to get nut no racing much. 5th in Dunlavin would have done it but was 7th. I just can't get to races enough have done only 10 this year.
    I still stand by my assertion going A4 is great way to learn though. will be applying for A3 next year no matter what though, but would love to get them if anyone feels like giving me a leadout.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 keno111

Just for clarity:p, a rider from group 2 or 3, who's very strong but who's name i don't know, jumped away when we turned off the Naul road. Tim O'Regan went a miniute or so later catching this guy while the bunch rolled on with no chase.

Mike Brookfield, who's motoring at the moment, attacked on the run in, however i jumped after him and closed the gap down. Tim and the other rider where about 15 seconds ahead of the bunch when the sprint started and were begining to fade as the road rose to the finish. In the course of the bunch sprint, I caught and passed rider 2 and was at Tim's back wheel as we crossed the line.

Technically;) Tim was'nt in the Bunch Sprint as he was in a break ahead; therfore he won the race but did'nt beat me in the sprint:D:D:D

great race tonight and great turn out as well. I've seen comments about guys sitting in and not working in the club races on the boards. My opinion is that its up to each rider to race the way the feel; however for those of you who wish to improve and get results in future club / open races you push yourself past your comfort factor and suffer in these races. these races are ideal for bringing on speed and stamina if you use them correctly.

P.S
    Waiting for Mike brookfield to get the win he deserves before the season finishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

keno111 wrote: »
    Just for clarity:p,
    Thanks, that makes things a lot clearer.
    Technically;) Tim was'nt in the Bunch Sprint as he was in a break ahead; therfore he won the race but did'nt beat me in the sprint:D:D:D
    Reputation remains intact so!
    however for those of you who wish to improve and get results in future club / open races you push yourself past your comfort factor and suffer in these races.

Tried this last night by opting for scratch, even tried contributing but got burned by the end of lap 1. I feel hanging on with scratch won't bring me on as much as being a strong contributor for semi-scratch. Ultimatly, my goal is scratch, but as a contributor.

Mike Brookfield, who's motoring at the moment....Waiting for Mike brookfield to get the win he deserves before the season finishes
    +1

Damn....that was great crack!

Went out in Group 2 tonight and to be honest I didn't think we were pushing all that hard and that told when Group 3 caught us on the second bloody lap! The pace picked a bit then as the Group 3 lads were at the front but once we got involved and did some turns it seemed to calm down a bit! We all came together on the last lap and things got a bit hairy. I must admit I sat at the back a bit but was never gonna contest any points and was all a learning curve really to be riding in such a big bunch at speed! Coming into the last left turn I had a chance to move up the left side and move up about ten places but didn't take it as was worried about making the turn to sharp and then when we came around the corner there was some poor unfortunate in a car who must have got some fright when they saw us..... Lot's of people near the back had to stand on brakes as we were more spread out on the road and then there was just no way of getting anywhere near the front again so just cruised in....I tell ya....I'll take the gap on the left next year!!!

All in all great crack last nite! Roll on 'White House' next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Damn....that was great crack!

Went out in Group 2 tonight and to be honest I didn't think we were pushing all that hard and that told when Group 3 caught us on the second bloody lap! The pace picked a bit then as the Group 3 lads were at the front but once we got involved and did some turns it seemed to calm down a bit! We all came together on the last lap and things got a bit hairy. I must admit I sat at the back a bit but was never gonna contest any points and was all a learning curve really to be riding in such a big bunch at speed! Coming into the last left turn I had a chance to move up the left side and move up about ten places but didn't take it as was worried about making the turn to sharp and then when we came around the corner there was some poor unfortunate in a car who must have got some fright when they saw us..... Lot's of people near the back had to stand on brakes as we were more spread out on the road and then there was just no way of getting anywhere near the front again so just cruised in....I tell ya....I'll take the gap on the left next year!!!

All in all great crack last nite! Roll on 'White House' next week!

Good man Dave,

I was in group 2 too. I can see how group 3 caught us so quickly, I jumped in with them as quick as I could when they caught us and there were lots of calls of "up, up, up" to keep everyone pushing on, rotating quick and the group speed high. They are very organised.

The look on the driver's face towards the finish was priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Homme Enigmatique

:D Very fast race last night, very windy too & almost too close for comfort with those 2 cars at the end. Should be another fast race next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Any mapmyride linkys to the bog of the ring?

Advertisement