Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PMs being shared by moderators of the same forum

Options
  • 10-08-2010 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you are not happy with how something you have raised is dealth with then you get in touch with the cat mods.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055749888
    So I have an issue with a mod so I pm them. They decide to pm a bunch of other mods which I'm not happy about and you reckon I should solve this by PM'ing even more mods who would probably pm a bunch more mods so I'm having a conversation 1 vs 20. I'm fine thanks.

I just think it should be made clear that if you pm one mod you should expect to have to justify everything you say to about 7 people. Who despite what they say will always have a slight bias towards other mods.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

SugarHigh wrote: »
    So I have an issue with a mod so I pm them. They decide to pm a bunch of other mods which I'm not happy about and you reckon I should solve this by PM'ing even more mods who would probably pm a bunch more mods so I'm having a conversation 1 vs 20. I'm fine thanks.

I just think it should be made clear that if you pm one mod you should expect to have to justify everything you say to about 7 people. Who despite what they say will always have a slight bias towards other mods.

That's not fair. I've called out admins in the past, I'd have no qualms telling a mod where to go if they deserved it.

So don't tar me with that brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Xiney wrote: »
    That's not fair. I've called out admins in the past, I'd have no qualms telling a mod where to go if they deserved it.

So don't tar me with that brush.
    My point is that a Private Message is clearly not private. Mods are constantly telling people to take PM them if they have an issue with something but they don't mention the fact that you have no privacy in doing so.

My point is that a Private Message is clearly not private. Mods are constantly telling people to take PM them if they have an issue with something but they don't mention the fact that you have no privacy in doing so.

Official PMs (ie, dealing with a mod in a mod capacity) have never been private from other mods. We have to know what went on with a user previously before we can evaluate new developments.

I'll repeat this one more time: this thread is for feedback on the Ladies' Lounge forum - not for site wide policy.

Official PMs (ie, dealing with a mod in a mod capacity) have never been private from other mods.
    How about you make this clear when telling people to take it to PM.

How about you make this clear when telling people to take it to PM.

please contact either the category mod or post a thread in the feedback forum. This is not the place for this discussion as I have already stated twice.

• Advertisement

please contact either the category mod or post a thread in the feedback forum. This is not the place for this discussion as I have already stated twice.

Scratch that, I have taken the liberty of moving your posts to feedback instead of allowing you to derail the thread about the forum.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is this meant to be here? It makes no sense out of context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So I have an issue with a mod so I pm them. They decide to pm a bunch of other mods which I'm not happy about

They added in Random mods to the pms or they included thier co mods as you are discussing something about the forum they all mod?
    and you reckon I should solve this by PM'ing even more mods who would probably pm a bunch more mods so I'm having a conversation 1 vs 20. I'm fine thanks.

The cat mods are there to review the actions of the mods of any forum in their category. They can and do find against the mod and in the favour of the posters.

I wasn't suggesting adding the cat mod in a round robin of posts but rather pming them a separate complaint, including not being happy that co mods were added into the pms and if you were feeling ganged up on by the mods of that forum.

Well if you are not happy pming mods then there is the restricted access of the help desk forum.

I personally if I was discussing something sensitive with a mod about an issue on the forum and they cc'ed the co mods and included them in the discussion with out asking me I would be pissed off, esp if they all started chiming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The reason mods share communication on an official matter of business, which this is - is to discuss the matter.

If i were a mod, i would do the same. I would like other opinions on the topic, to be sure i deal with the matter correctly.

If it were a personal pm, that would be a different matter, however its not.

But the discussion between the mods doesnt' have to happen in the same pms which include the poster.

• Advertisement

but if we discuss a pm a mod has received, isn't it better for this fact to be transparent?

How transparent is it if it's done by pm?
    And how helpful is it if the poster feels intimidated going from a conversation by pm with 1 one mod to having to face all the mods of the forum?
    If it's transparency to the other co mods, well we now have the BCC option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

But the discussion between the mods doesnt' have to happen in the same pms which include the poster.

That's not what happened here - there was no discussion regarding the poster done in view of the poster.

The poster PM'd a Mod questioning why an on-thread warning was given. The Mod PM'd the poster back giving an explanation. There was a further PM from the user disagreeing with why the warning was given, and the reply to it from a Mod was cc'd to co-Mods to keep us informed of the situation (the poster was told in teh PM that we were being cc'd). We agreed with the warning and two co-Mods PM'd the user informing them of why the warning was needed and warranted.

This was not a personal PM, it was an official one, and co-Mods were cc'd for transparency as Xiney said.

ah I see, personally I would have told them that they could check with my co mods if they wanted to appeal to another mod of the for or told them that the co mods agreed with the mod action (and they could check with them if they wanted ) and then pointed them in the direction of the cat mod, rather then pms from mod they hadn't contact on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

g'em wrote: »
    We agreed with the warning and two co-Mods PM'd the user informing them of why the warning was needed and warranted.
    Sorry but that just seems like ganging up on the user to me. I have no problem with a mod PMing their co-mods to discuss the case, but having three mods reply to you after you only contacted one is very intimidating. Surely it should be discussed amongst the mods and the mod the user contacted should deliver the final verdict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Sorry but that just seems like ganging up on the user to me.
    I can see how it would appear that way - it's not something we do often unless a particular instance warrants it.
    DaPoolRulz wrote:
    Surely it should be discussed amongst the mods and the mod the user contacted should deliver the final verdict?
    In this case the user didn't seem particularly willing to listen to the mod they contacted (who had explicitly and clearly explained why she did what she did) and we felt the need to step in.

If they are stroppy and won't listen then pass it up the chain of the dispute resolution process, it's what it's there for.

In this case the user didn't seem particularly willing to listen to the mod they contacted (who had explicitly and clearly explained why she did what she did) and we felt the need to step in.
    That's what the CMods are for. Tell them to contact a CMod if they want it looked at at a higher level and stick them on Ignore for a day or two if they keep PMing the original mod

It is also very frustrating for a mod to have their points completely ignored. Sometimes it is necessary for us to show moral support and to present a united front.

That's not what happened here - there was no discussion regarding the poster done in view of the poster.

The poster PM'd a Mod questioning why an on-thread warning was given. The Mod PM'd the poster back giving an explanation. There was a further PM from the user disagreeing with why the warning was given, and the reply to it from a Mod was cc'd to co-Mods to keep us informed of the situation (the poster was told in teh PM that we were being cc'd). We agreed with the warning and two co-Mods PM'd the user informing them of why the warning was needed and warranted.

This was not a personal PM, it was an official one, and co-Mods were cc'd for transparency as Xiney said.
    The poster PM'd a Mod questioning why an on-thread warning was given.
    It wasn't really a warning, she accused me of starting arguments.
    a Mod was cc'd to co-Mods to keep us informed of the situation (the poster was told in teh PM that we were being cc'd).
    I was told that the PM would be shared after it was already sent so informing me was pointless. I would not have bothered if I had known I would have to discuss it with everyone.
    We agreed with the warning and two co-Mods PM'd the user informing them of why the warning was needed and warranted.
    Why do I care if you agree with her or not? I never received a warning by the way.

Basically if you PM one mod you go up against 7. Like I said if I had know this was the case I wouldn't have bothered.

• Advertisement

It is also very frustrating for a mod to have their points completely ignored. Sometimes it is necessary for us to show moral support and to present a united front.
    Believe me, I know, but from a regular user's point-of-view (even if they are wrong) it seems like you're being ganged up on

As above, DRP is there for cases like this

It's also very frustrating when you have a problem with one post so PM the person who made it to then find out you have to answer to 7 different people. It wasn't a mod warning it was just a post that happened to be made by a mod.

I can see how it would appear that way - it's not something we do often unless a particular instance warrants it.

The conversation was over, it was then pm'd to 7 different mods to start it up again.

ah I see, personally I would have told them that they could check with my co mods if they wanted to appeal to another mod of the for or told them that the co mods agreed with the mod action (and they could check with them if they wanted ) and then pointed them in the direction of the cat mod, rather then pms from mod they hadn't contact on the matter.
    Exactly this makes more sense to me. As far as I was concerned the conversation was over but the mod acted like I was going to report her or something so took the liberty of doing it herself. I'm then dragged into a conversation with another mod and then they drag in even more mods, which then leads to this thread being made by a mod and dragging in yet more mods.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

please contact either the category mod or post a thread in the feedback forum.

No. The Help Desk is the place to post if you have issue with a Mod. And only after you have had a discussion with the CMod and are still not happy.

OP
    If you have a problem, please contact the CMod.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

As the mod in question, let me just explain my side of this.

I was contacted with a complaint about my moderating. I explained my reason to the poster, which they disagreed with.

I no longer felt it fair to continue the discussion as I could not see anything wrong with my moderating, so I felt out of fairness to the poster, and because if my moderating IS lousy it will affect my co-mods, it would be best for the poster to perhaps see it looked at by other mods of the forum.

Yes in retrospect if the did want to lodge a proper complaint and they were intimidated, they would probably not have contacted me at all, and would have contacted one of my co-mods instead.

The reason the thread was started here was not to drag more mods in, it was because it would be more of a feedback discussion than a specific forum issue, as it was a general and non-specific request at the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement