Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skip Bags

• 10-08-2010 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

So i'm moving house on Saturday and i was thinking i might need a skip bag to clear out the old house as myself and my housemates have been living there for 3 years and amassed a lot of rubbish.
    I was hoping someone would be able to advise me on whats the best company to use and also what size i should get, its only a small terraced house so its just mostly junk that we have picked up over the years that we need to be rid of...
    any help would be greatly apreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You will be amazed what you will get into the 1 ton bags.
    Home base used to do these. If you are arranging collection insist on paying on collection & not in advance. Wouldn't like anyone to have the A1 experience again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Not what you were asking, but worth mentioning..

Make sure it's real junk before skipping it :)... I have moved house several times and spend a ton on skips over the years, until last time when we decided to stick it all up on ebay... a couple of weeks later we had made about 3,000 sterling (was some more expensive arcade machines in there also)...

We sold an old sony discman (cd walkman) for 40 quid, curling tongs for 15, old mobile phones for between 15-50... You would be amazed that crap... err quality products ;) people will buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

koolkid wrote: »
    You will be amazed what you will get into the 1 ton bags.
    Home base used to do these. If you are arranging collection insist on paying on collection & not in advance. Wouldn't like anyone to have the A1 experience again.

I have one of these skip bags in the drive half full , haven't arranged collection, what is so bad about A1.

who do you recommend to collect it.

cheers

Eoin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I had fierce hassle with them. I paid online & had to chase them up for a week. They then tried to say my Laser payment had not been charged & I would have to be there for the collection & pay the driver. Even though they had taken the payment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

eoinf wrote: »
    I have one of these skip bags in the drive half full , haven't arranged collection, what is so bad about A1.

who do you recommend to collect it.

cheers

Eoin

A1 are a bunch of Ba5tards to be honest. They have caused some state up here with there profiteering

A LIQUIDATOR and receiver have been appointed to A1 Waste and Neiphin Trading, the companies associated with the controversial Kerdiffstown dump.

KPMG has been appointed receiver to Dean Waste Limited, which holds about 90 per cent of the group’s assets. Kavanagh Fennell was appointed liquidator of Neiphin Trading Limited, which operates the dump in Kerdiffstown, on Thursday 10 June. The director of A1 Waste is Tony Dean. It is believed that A1 Waste recently contacted the EPA to request urgent assistance with the clean-up of the dump. Last month, A1 Waste was ordered by the High Court to cease taking in waste to the dump.

A spokesperson for the EPA told the Kildare Nationalist: “The EPA was granted an interlocutory injunction in February 2010 prohibiting Neiphin Trading Limited from using the landfill cells until suitable controls are in place.

The EPA was granted a further injunction in May 2010 preventing any waste being brought onto the site as a result of the licensee stockpiling waste on the site in contravention of their licence, and on other parts of the site not covered by the previous injunction and undertaking. The court ruled in favour of the EPA and confirmed the orders and granted a further mandatory order to clean up the stockpiled waste last week.

A third case is to be heard before the High Court and is scheduled for a hearing in October 2010. The EPA submitted a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions in November 2009 and is currently awaiting a direction from the DPP. The EPA does not wish to comment any further pending the outcome of outstanding courts actions and the conclusion of the scheduled creditors meetings.”

Representatives of Clean Air Naas (www.can.ie) have been attending the High Court hearings. Joe Friel of CAN told the Kildare Nationalist: “We want a clear plan from the EPA about what they are going to do going forward.” He added that the members of CAN are urging all people who are still experiencing smells from the dump to continue contacting the EPA to alert them.

“It’s important for people to keep notifying the EPA about the odour,” said Joe. “The smell earlier this week was pretty horrific for two nights. CAN has discovered that the smell is coming from a heavy gas emitted from the site that is predominantly hydrogen sulphite. It accumulates like a heavy cloud over the area.” Some residents have described the smell as being similar to ‘rotten eggs’.

“We are extremely worried,” said Joe. “Needless to say the summer is upon us, and if we have a good summer there could be a very serious problem. The heat builds up and the smell rises.”

Clean Air Naas is now calling upon the EPA to use their legal powers to swiftly take control of the dump, which is the most complained about dump in Ireland. “The high level of complaints about stinking odours from local residents has forced the EPA to take the legal action against A1 Waste.

“It is absolutely critical that residents continue to report bad odours to the EPA’s complaint helpdesk at 01 268 0100 and force the EPA to urgently plan a proper clean-up. Clean Air Naas asks you to keep this issue at the top of the EPA’s agenda,” said CAN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Can anyone reccomend a skip company, need a skip bag approx 1.25 to 1.5 tonne

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭imasmeasmecanbe

I have used minskip a few times and have never had any problem with them before. At the moment they have money off the collection aswell and they usually collect their competitors bags for a fee

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bullfrog007

Hi,

My advice, use a company call www.skipbags.ie,

My reason, Well I rang A1 waste, who transfered me to another company, as they told me A1 waste was now owned by Panda waste. So I got transfered, and sweet jesus, the whole process from start to finish was a joke. I swear I had just entered a sketch from Little britian.

Me: Hi, I would like to order a skip bag

A1 waste: Wha!!!

Me : I would like to order a skip bag

A1 waste : Wha!!!

Me: I would like.....

A1 waste : €39, €65 or €99, cash!!

Me: Ok, Can you tell me what I cant put into the skip bag.

A1 waste : I'll tell you love, try looking at the website, and then get back to me,

And the f**kers hung up on me.

So then I contacted www.skipbags.ie, and not only did they look after me, and get me the skip bag, but when their delivery guy turned up with the bag, and he saw I had a broken foot and was on my own, he grabbed my rolled up carpet, and black bags, and filled my skip bag for me. It took him about 3 mins, but he didnt seem to mind.
    Now I understand I didnt have a whole lot to be thrown out, and I had a broken foot, but the service was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bunchiz

Hi, I'm moving out of my little house (emigrating) but need to be out after this weekend...
    Was just wondering how fast skipbags.ie deliver and how soon they collect it? Hope someone knows, I really shouldn't have left this to the last minute...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

That crowd that you get bags from in Woodies are alright, plus a discount on the bags purchased in Woodies. Can't remember the name but it might be skipbag.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,625 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think its something like babyskip. I saw one being collected today, looked like a legit kind of set-up. You buy the bag then pay on collection, which seems like the most sensible way of doing it.

Advertisement