Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend games for non-gamers

Options
  • 10-08-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

My OH has gotten deeply engrossed in Heavy Rain in the last few days, the first game she has taken any notice of since mario brothers. Can anybody recommend any other games she might enjoy? I think it would have to be something with a really strong story, not too punishing of mistakes/weaker skills, and ideally available on ps3/pc.

Adventure games would seem a logical progression, but I think some of them could be too frustrating, particularly given that she is unaware of the videogame clichés, tropes and tricks that we have all unconsciously learned?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Peggle.
    Puzzle Bobble
    Bubble Bobble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Not much story in the above 3 at all, none in fact.

Fahrenheit would be similar to Heavy Rain I suppose, or I'd say go with Braid

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Braid
    Tales of Monkey Island (or the remakes)
    Sam & Max

Tales of Vesperia (My GF was a "non-gamer", lent her my Xbox & a few titles, she latched on to this and plays this for hours every night).
    She also likes some level of customisation/make your own character, for that reason she picked up Mass Effect 2 and fought the learning difficulty in controlling it (being new to controllers, shooters are some of hardest to get used to). Came to love it, the customisation, control of her party, dialogue choices, etc.
    PS3 wise.. maybe Eternal Sonata or FFXIII? Valkyria Chronicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The Longest Journey is supposed to be a good one and features a female lead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bring her into a games shop and let her look and read and choose herself.
    There is no magical game aimed at women who don't tend to play games (yes I will shank anyone who says the sims :P ).

There will always be a learning curve no matter what game she starts with but there had to be something which interests her to be enough of a hook to keep her going and that will vary person to person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Try Flower. Its a PSN title by thatgamecompany. Its a simple enough game, with what can only be described as a 'subtle' story. Lots of fun, but it doesn't require a whole load of skill to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Uncharted and Uncharted 2 for a great cinematic story. Knock the difficulty down to the lowest and it shouldn't be that hard for a non gamer. The hardest part for a non gamer to get over is camera control, but it will become second nature eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

World of Goo

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The missus loved Machinarium on the PC. She put it on her netbook and played away.

She likes all the Wii games too like just dance etc. for a laugh when there's a few round and she plays poker online the odd time.

Otherwise it's all DS: Boggle, Zelda, Mario Bros, Partners in Time, Bowsers Inside Story.

and iPhone games: Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Plants vs Zombies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

LittleBigPlanet - Girls love dressing up their sackgirls. Plus, you can use your sackboy to smack her and dont tell her how to do it.

The thread title should have been the more sexist, but accurate "Recommend games for girls".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

The thread title should have been the more sexist, but accurate "Recommend games for girls".

Not really, if you read the OP he's looking for story heavy games for his OH as she is currently liking Heavy Rain (not considered a girly game really)

Most games mentioned have little or no story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Rock Band 2! Peripherals have gotten real cheap since they're not very popular any more :D

maybe Broken Sword :) played that for the first time last month and enjoyed it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    LittleBigPlanet - Girls love dressing up their sackgirls. Plus, you can use your sackboy to smack her and dont tell her how to do it.

On 2 player you can sort of lead her along until she learns how to play. I'd second broken sword, wonderful story, great to play, nicely slow paced.

Maybe some of the older Final Fantasies as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What about something like fallout 3 or oblivion? Maybe not fantastic main storylines for either, but some excellent side stories that can really suck you in. Both can be customised with a difficulty slider to make them far easier and if you get PC versions, you have a vast variety of mods to pick from.

Otherwise, on a different note, I'd recommend Aquaria. Highly engaging storyline puzzle/exploration type game with great music. There's a demo for this here. You can buy on their website or steam.

rizzla wrote: »
    Not really, if you read the OP he's looking for story heavy games for his OH as she is currently liking Heavy Rain (not considered a girly game really)

Most games mentioned have little or no story though.
    My point was that most replies seemed to have included the words missus/OH/GF.

Everyone's replies instantly refer to the women in their life. I don't believe there is such a thing as a girly game since I like to play most of them as much as the missus does. I was just referring to the fact that most people's first idea of a non-gamer as the OP asked about was their missus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

My missis loved oblivion, spent all her time wandering about though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd +1 the likes of The Monkey Island and Sam & Max games if you're looking for something along the general lines of Heavy Rain, or story heavy / not punishing gameplay. They're downloadable on PSN and PC. If you have a DS that would also be recommended, as there are a lot of 'interactive novel' type games (Phoenix Wright series being some of the best: get the first one so you aren't lost in the increasingly convoluted story :pac:) and puzzle games like Professor Layton. Again, narrative led and more relaxed interaction that don't punish the player as often as others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Rock Band 2

Was about to suggest this too, great fun to play with company.

The Orange Box perhaps. I guarantee she'll get kicks out of portal at the very least.

Fallout 3 would be a good one for her I think moral choices etc though the last girl I saw play this chose to be a bad ass to the point where I was in fear :D . I would suggest giving her a list of suggestions and setting her loose on google and youtube herself then to research. Then try the demo's if available.

Was going to suggest Alan Wake for her but not sure if it's out on PC, I know it's not on ps3

• Advertisement

Not sure if Braid has been mentioned.

Fantastic puzzle/platform based around time manipulation with a sweet love story-esque backdrop. Should be on the playstation network for fairly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

calex71 wrote: »
    The Orange Box perhaps. I guarantee she'll get kicks out of portal at the very least.
    My GF is very much a non gamer, but LOVED portal because it was more about thinking than actually being a "good gamer"

just my 2c...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

My GF is very much a non gamer, but LOVED portal because it was more about thinking than actually being a "good gamer"

just my 2c...

This was a triumph. I'm making a note here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Another non-story game, but very easy for anyone to get into and enjoy is "Crayon Physics".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

stevenmu wrote: »
    Another non-story game, but very easy for anyone to get into and enjoy is "Crayon Physics".

This. And Plants vs Zombies. It's recently got a 'Game of the Year' update which adds more casual addiction to it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This is the game I recommend to any non-gamer.

super-mario-bros.e_00.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    This is the game I recommend to any non-gamer.

She's already played that.
    ...the first game she has taken any notice of since mario brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

My ex got hooked on plants vs zombies. She wasnt a gamer at all

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Grimebox wrote: »
    My ex got hooked on plants vs zombies. She wasnt a gamer at all
    Plants vs. Zombies is the serious casual game for non-serious non-casual non-gamers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Megaman 2

Advertisement