Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good 1st Bike?

• 10-08-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,im a total newbie on this forum.Its been over 25 years since ive been on a bike,but as of late im getting the itch to get back on one. What are your suggestions for getting back into it? Im looking at a Kawasaki zzr 400,too big,powerful??? Also,im not very au fait wih licensing,insurance etc... All suggestions appreciated>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

First thing is change your username- that's just bad luck :p

Search back along. There are tons of similar threads. If things aren't making sense, ask for clarification. You should probably expect to have to do a theory test for you 'Learner's Permit'. I can't recommend enough doing some training and getting a 'Grade Two' to start off with. It'll reduce your insurance and make a lot more bikes open to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

ZZR400 is a grand starter bike IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Tearaway

If you haven't got a learners permit - you'll have to do the theory test to get one - I'd do it soon though as CBT has been impending for some time and no one knows exactly when it's coming in.

Get training.... as the poster above says - modern bikes are a lot faster than what you were used to 25 years ago - and chances are you not going to bounce as well as you did back then.

Quinn and Aon/Axa are the main insurers for bikes in Ireland.

Get the best gear you can afford - remember it's what's going to be between you and the road if things go pear shaped.

Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

anything japanese (or german) thats 33hp

get your test outta the way before extra restriction come into play (google 3rd European directive on driving licences)

and wait wait out your 2yr restriction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

KamiKazi wrote: »
    ZZR1400 is a grand starter bike IMO.

Fixed that for ya ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

KTRIC wrote: »
    ZZR1400 is a grand starter bike IMO.
    Fixed that for ya ;)
    might be a bit slow for a leaner though, do ye not think? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Thanks lads for the mainly constructive info,ha ha. One more quick one-how do you work out the power to weight ratio of a bike??

Power (in kilowatts) divided by weight (in kilograms).

Online converters are your friend.

As a very general rule of thumb, milder 400s are probably borderline. Not-so-big heavy cruisers like Shadow 750s are probably ok but the 1100+ type cruisers are probably off the table.

Don't be too prejudiced against restricting a bigger bike. I have a restricted Blackbird and a restricted GSX1400 (for the next 18 days anyway:cool:). Forget the naysayers- restricted bikes drive just fine. However, you will pay the full whack of insurance though unless they're a day-one 'factory restricted' bike.

What kind of bikes do you like, OP?

• Advertisement

Not too particular,but did come across a Kawasaki zzr 400 as i mentioned earlier,and quite like the overall look/style of the bike.Also, did an online quote with Quinn Ins,approx €450. Sound ok?

....Not too particular,but did come across a Kawasaki zzr 400....

Here's a CBR600 http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1431278 I understand that it's insurance friendly because it's and 'F' model and of course you could get it restricted...

Is it only sports bikes that float your boat??

How much do you want to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

My first bike was a factory restricted Suzuki Bandit 600cc,cheap to insure,reliable and there are lots for sale at reasonable money. Aon will insure them no problem once you can produce the restriction cert or the logbook showing the power output.

Not necessarily sports bikes,no,but a nice looking bike.Budget is 2k max. Im only getting one for nostalgic reasons,if that makes sense? If and when I do get one,it will only be getting the odd run,wont be principal mode of transport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

hondavfr wrote: »
    My first bike was a factory restricted Suzuki Bandit 600cc,cheap to insure,reliable and there are lots for sale at reasonable money. Aon will insure them no problem once you can produce the restriction cert or the logbook showing the power output.

its what im starting on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

its a stupid question but if i buy a factory restricted bike, when the licence matures can i then de restrict it?

eurofoxy wrote: »
    its a stupid question but if i buy a factory restricted bike, when the licence matures can i then de restrict it?

With exceptions, if it's a carbed bike, it may cost a lot of money to remove thought it sometimes doesn't. If it's a fuel injected bike, it'll almost certainly cost quite a bit to remove. Often, it goes well into four figures.

Unless you're fairly young, the way to go is get your bike of your choice if you can swing the insurance and get it restricted. The kit is usually less than €300 although you'll probably pay more for insurance too. This is more so the case if you would plan on keeping the bike for the foreseeable...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

my bandit was a 2005 carbed model and i was quoted 220 Euro to have it de rerestricted. I decided to sell it instead as there is normally a demand for factory restricted models especially now that the insurance companys have tightened up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

the problem is the insurance companies..
    Spoke to quinn and aon, and if the bike needs a restriction then it must be factory fitted, according to them that is now the new rule for provisional riders after the new law which comes in on the 6th of december.

i thought they were just spouting bull so i actually rang both back and got a different person and both times the new person said almost the exact same...

eurofoxy wrote: »
    the problem is the insurance companies..
    Spoke to quinn and aon, and if the bike needs a restriction then it must be factory fitted, according to them that is now the new rule for provisional riders after the new law which comes in on the 6th of december.

i thought they were just spouting bull so i actually rang both back and got a different person and both times the new person said almost the exact same...

They're talking sh1te, the only law coming in on the 6th is that new riders must undergo IBT.

Speak to a supervisor if they keeping spouting rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

They're talking sh1te, the only law coming in on the 6th is that new riders must undergo IBT.

Speak to a supervisor if they keeping spouting rubbish.

Nope, it's Quinn's policy/rules that's changing, not the law - that's what Quinn are saying.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    Nope, it's Quinn's policy/rules that's changing, not the law - that's what Quinn are saying.

Why are they saying it's law then, and not their policy?

And only insuring factory restricted bikes, are they trying to get out of the bike market or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

I returned to biking after a 12 yr absence and started back on a unfaired suzuki bandit 600 unrestricted, brilliant bike and great bike to use and get back to biking on, will move up to a 1000 cc bike soon but am in no rush to dump the bandit so i'd seriously consider a bandit, :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Why are they saying it's law then, and not their policy?

And only insuring factory restricted bikes, are they trying to get out of the bike market or what?

Where are they saying it's the law?

I doubt they want to leave the bike market just tightening up on who/what they'll insure, can't blame them, claims are high these days.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

bladespin wrote: »
    Where are they saying it's the law?

I doubt they want to leave the bike market just tightening up on who/what they'll insure, can't blame them, claims are high these days.

I got a quote off Carole Nash last week - used a CB500 as a guide to get a quote as I'm still looking for a bike.

They advised that they do not require you to prove restriction as that is a requirement of the licence - I think you can read through the lines -

.....have a claim.....meant to have a restricted bike......no restriction...insurance company shows you the two fingers.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

josh59 wrote: »
    I got a quote off Carole Nash last week - used a CB500 as a guide to get a quote as I'm still looking for a bike.

They advised that they do not require you to prove restriction as that is a requirement of the licence - I think you can read through the lines -

.....have a claim.....meant to have a restricted bike......no restriction...insurance company shows you the two fingers.......

No they are just saying its not their job to enforce the law, its up to you to make sure you comply with your licence terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

Hi ,
    judging from the thread, are light to middleweight cruisers not a good starting bike? honda 250 Rebel, yamaha 250 virago , suzuki GZ250 or the 125's kawasaki ?? this has been bugging me a while, any reply appreciated

Grand bike to start on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kiddeh

Suzuki bandit great bike to start on and if ya that new thing with quinn is correct then u dont need to slave away to find a factory restricted one.... the 250cc model is grand jst not as perky :)

other alternative is the Honda Bros 400cc which im suprised hasn't been mentioned yet.... although its shape is a love or hate the bike itself is great.... perfect for going through traffic and there's always lots about for sale at about a grand a piece (and that would be a bros thats in very good shape...) but its all about what u want.... the Bros comes in under the restriction so ur grand if ya do get it :)

although since ya have ur mind surely focused on the ZZR 400 just go for it its a great bike and since that caught ur eye it'd seem that its a sporty lookin ike ye be after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

i don't think you were replying to me Kiddeh but cheers for heads up on the Honda Bros .... the price is unreal

Advertisement