Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renewing IP address HELP

• 10-08-2010 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but,

I have tried everything I can think of and still no luck.

I connect to the internet using ZYxel router and the signal strength is excellent but after a second it goes to "limited or no connectivity to fix this click here" when i click it says i have no ip address so when i try to repair it doesnt work just times out.

I tried ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew and that hasnt helped i have my firewall off and still no luck.

when i run ipconfig/release and release i get this

Windows IP configuration
    no opperation can be performed on Locan Area Connection while it has it's media disconnected.
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Media Store...........:Disconnected

Ethernet Wireless Network Connections:
    Connection-Specific DNS Suffix:
    IP Address...........................:0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask........................:0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway...................:

C:\Documents and settings\James>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

No opperation can be found on Lacal Area Connection while it has media disconnected

An error occured while renewing interface wireless netwrok connections: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

I am useless with computers and only managed to find this much out with google but im guessing i have to turn on the media thing but wouldnt have a clue how to go about it or if that will even fix the problem.

Any ideas really appreciated thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Check the cable and check for a link light. Try a different LAN port on the router as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Do a hard reset on your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Spear wrote: »
    Check the cable and check for a link light. Try a different LAN port on the router as well.
    Yup, Media Disconnected for the Ethernet adapter means the NIC is detecting no physical connection to an other device through the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

all the cables are connected thank god when i read that replied and realised i hadnt checked i thought oops but they are all correct.

I have no clue how to do a hard reset? I am writing this from the PC and that is connected via the same router and no problems. its just the laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

danois wrote: »
    all the cables are connected thank god when i read that replied and realised i hadnt checked i thought oops but they are all correct.

I have no clue how to do a hard reset? I am writing this from the PC and that is connected via the same router and no problems. its just the laptop

Try swapping the cables i.e take the cable from the router that goes to the PC and plug it into the laptop instead. It could be a dodgy cable you have

• Advertisement

the laptop works when its connected directly to the clearwire box. but not otherwise??

are the ip address for the computer and the laptop the same could i just copy all the details from the computer into the ip address for the laptop??

Sorry, I only half read your original posts. You will need to log on to your router and check that wireless is configured correctly(security,DHCP etc)
    Do you have the credentials to log on to your router?

thanks for the help guys but i think if i do anything else i will only make it worse. i will wait and pay someone to come and sort it for me when i get the cash its mainly my son who uses the laptop, wont do him any harm to stay ofline for a bit!!

thanks again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

thanks for the help guys but i think if i do anything else i will only make it worse. i will wait and pay someone to come and sort it for me when i get the cash its mainly my son who uses the laptop, wont do him any harm to stay ofline for a bit!!

thanks again

That's probably a needless waste of money. Has the router ever worked? Is there a link light? Have you tried another ethernet cable? Are you connected to a LAN port and not the WAN port?

Ok, found this http://www.default-password.info/zyxel/

Here are a few steps, you havent really done any damage.

Do ipconfig /all on your pc, note down your default gateway

So what you need to do is open up a browser and browse to
    http://default gateway
    Username and password should be in the web link above.

Browse to the wireless sections and turn off all security(WPA, WEP, shared key etc). Save.
    Then try to connect wirelessly from the laptop again, see if you get the same error.

• Advertisement

the model i have is the P320w thats not listed in the link you posted

thanks for this guys its nice of you to give your time.

the model i have is the P320w thats not listed in the link you posted

thanks for this guys its nice of you to give your time.

Hold on, there's still some basic info we need. Are you trying to connect wirelessly or wired? You don't list a wireless adapter yet you mention signal strength?

Ok sorry i have clearwire broadband and i have that connected to the zyxel p320w router. i am wirelessly connecting the laptop to the internet. it had always worked fine occasionally it would not connect and it would repair the IP adress and then be fine.

Now it will not repare the IP address

thanks

the signal strenght will come up as strong then instantly change to limited or no connectivity and to fix this tells you to repair IP adress but when I try it fails everytime

Ok sorry i have clearwire broadband and i have that connected to the zyxel p320w router. i am wirelessly connecting the laptop to the internet. it had always worked fine occasionally it would not connect and it would repair the IP adress and then be fine.

Now it will not repare the IP address

thanks

Under the network connections/Manage Network connections window, where there should already be the wired LAN connection, is the wireless adapter showing? What state is it in?

it says wireless network connection connected

it says wireless network connection connected

Can we see the output once more of ipconfig /all? Or does your wireless adapter have it's own separate configuration utility?

i have no clue about a seperate config utility but when i put ipconfig/all in this is what i get

Host name...................................:James-5ad519e95
    primary dns suffix..........................:
    node type....................................:unknown
    ip routing enabled..........................:no
    wins proxy enabled.........................:no

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connections:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.........:
    Description...............................:Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network adapter
    Physical Address........................:00-c0-a8-ad-5c-8d
    Dhcp Enabled.............................:yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.............:yes
    Ip Address..................................:0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask...............................:0.0.0.0
    default Gateway..........................:
    DHCP Server...............................:255.255.255.255

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State..............................: Media disconnected
    Description................................:VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical adress...........................: 00-40-d0-88-52-3c

my wireless network connection status says packets sent 2389 received 0 but still has full signal strength!

my wireless network connection status says packets sent 2389 received 0 but still has full signal strength!

You have an Atheros based wireless adapter. A combination of connected yet no response to DHCP suggests the wrong encryption is set. Do you know they key and encryption method? If you don't, you'll need to connect by wire to set these.

• Advertisement

no i have no clue i can connect it by wire if you think you can talk me through how to do it? thanks a million you are so patient if this was someone asking me so many stupid questions id probly of lost it by now so thanks a million

no i have no clue i can connect it by wire if you think you can talk me through how to do it? thanks a million you are so patient if this was someone asking me so many stupid questions id probly of lost it by now so thanks a million

The router should have DHCP enabled for the wired interface, so it should be little more than a matter of connecting a cable from laptop to router. After that you can use the repair option on the wired interface or use ipconfig /renew from a command prompt.

ok ill try that now thanks

i done that thought it might work cause i got this up

connection specific dns suffix:
    etrhernet adapter wireless

ip address 192.168.1.4
    subnet address 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.1.1

ethernet adapter local area connections
    connection specefic dns suffix:clearwire.ie
    ip address.........192.168.1.4
    subnet address255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.1.1

but then once i remove the wire and try wirelessly i get the same message again about little or no connectivity

i done that thought it might work cause i got this up

connection specific dns suffix:

ip address
    subnet address
    default gateway

Are there no assigned addresses?

yes sorry hit wrong key i edited it above

That's what we want to see. You should enter 192.168.1.1 in a web browser and you'll get the config page. You'll probably be prompted for the password which is probably still at the default. The manual should have this.

With a command prompt window open, right click on the bar of it, and choose properties. Turn on quick edit mode. You'll be able to copy and paste text from the window directly afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Your posts are a little confusing, possibly due to your lack of knowledge, no offence intended....

Lets try to clarify...

You have some Clearwire device connected to a Zyxel router, which is connected to a desktop PC by cable, which works OK, and to a laptop by wifi, which doesn't.

Am I correct so far ?

Turn off the Clearwire and router and laptop completely, then restart all, then post the details of ipconfig /all. You can copy and paste the output from a command prompt window by right-click,select mark,drag'n'select text,press enter,go to boards.ie reply,press Ctrl-V

• Advertisement

Thanks guys i got it working for about 10 min then it went again and i ended up having to reset the router and then again it worked for about 20 min and then went so i gave up. A mate in work is going to have a look at it for me.

Thanks a million for all the help tho and sorry for all the stupid questions ;)

Advertisement